Houston
Sponsored by

Spring Branch

141,578 Views | 821 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TriAg2010
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
5-10 years ago. Upside is pretty well priced in at this point.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Diggity said:

5-10 years ago. Upside is pretty well priced in at this point.
We'll say the same thing in 10 years
Diggity
AG
I'm not saying there isn't more room to run, just been looking at land over there and it's expensive. Every builder is over there now. Retail is the next step.
agnatgas
AG
Lots of Spring Branch zoned to Memorial

Ducks4brkfast
AG
agnatgas said:

Lots of Spring Branch zoned to Memorial

That doesn't look like alot
Diggity
AG
It's not a ton...but definitely more areas than just "the Villages"
Boo Weekley
Growing up in El Spring Branch Norte, never would have thought it would run you about $400k to get into an outdated 1,700 SF 3/2 near the trash part of Gessner only to be zoned to ESL schools. Crazy.

I'm sure it's how people who grew up in Compton feel seeing tiny dilapidated 2/1 homes going for $650k nowadays. Our parents had it a lot easier than we do in terms of home and auto.
tukAg10
AG
Really glad I came across this. I moved to Spring Branch in 2017 and have enjoyed it. It is rough around the edges but the location is hard to beat. I rarely sit in traffic and have great commodities within 1-2 miles. I have noticed 2 other late 20's early 30's couples moved in on my street in the past year also.

The crappy apartments that scatter the area are a concern. I have seen more policing with these security cameras positioned in the lots. Not sure how much good they actually do. I hope the town homes that have been built pick up momentum and some of the complexes sell out (even one or two would be great!). They are currently building one at Crestdale & Longpoint that looks nice (only about 5 built right now but they look good).

I've noticed there is a large portion of older residents. I can imagine we will see a lot of this change for the positive when they move on and younger families move in. Spring Branch ISD is not as good as Katy ISD but way better than HISD. We are also seeing major companies moving west. Oxy announced putting its Greenway Plaza up for sale and moving West to Conoco's old office on Dairy Ashford. With ~1,500 employees being relocated, I am sure quite a few will find a new home in Spring Branch. I also Believe Katy is developing a City Center like place by Katy Mills Mall that I assume will attract businesses. Young people will always be attracted to the urban lifestyle and Spring Branch seems like a good central location between downtown and Katy.
randy828
AG
Marathon Oil is building their new home at CityCentre to open in 2021.
drumboy
AG
Anyone gonna be in the market for a 3/2 rental just behind CostCo starting this summer?

Once our house is done it'll be open.
tukAg10
AG
What are they doing to the ditch/bayou right along there? Widening it? Putting a walkway?
drumboy
AG
No clue. They do have a bunch of heavy machinery down there. I get the feeling why're dredging it our.
cajunaggie08
AG
Transocean is leaving Greenway Plaza this year as well for the Energy Corridor.
Charlie Murphy
Interesting, I would not have pegged Kirby Ice House for an expansion. Never been to Mia's.

CultureMap
Diggity
AG
I think it's a partnership with the Morgan Group kids and one of the partners for Lil Woodrows so that doesn't surprise me too much.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

Interesting, I would not have pegged Kirby Ice House for an expansion. Never been to Mia's.

CultureMap
Mia's is a Carabbas counter-service casual place. It used to eat lunch at the one off of Kirby when I worked in Greenway. Good food for a casual lunch or dinner.

Kirby Ice House will be nice to have during Football Season.
Ag_07
AG
Noticed today that Joy Love Burger is going in at the shopping center at Emnora and Gessner right there by Pho Huy.

Never been out to Katy to try but I've always heard good things.
drumboy
AG
Ag_07 said:

Never been out to Katy to try but I've always heard good things.

Nope, Katy blows.
Boats and Hose
AG
It's pretty good. We live nearby and are looking forward to them opening up.
Charlie Murphy
Interesting concept, looks like the shopping center on Long Point is filling up. I havent been by recently to see if theyve started upgrading.

Shoot the Moon
drumboy
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

Interesting concept, looks like the shopping center on Long Point is filling up. I havent been by recently to see if theyve started upgrading.

Shoot the Moon
Where is this gonna be?

Anybody been to Lazy Oaks on LoPo just west of Gessner? Pretty cool place, food looks great but they're proud of their drinks and no happy hour (yet).
Motis B Totis
AG
Shoot the moon is too Far East for me. I honk it's in the old beef and bun location. Lazy oaks is great but I agree the drink prices are way too high. May guess is it keeps the bums out.
drumboy
AG
Motis B Totis said:

Shoot the moon is too Far East for me. I honk it's in the old beef and bun location. Lazy oaks is great but I agree the drink prices are way too high. May guess is it keeps the bums out.
Bums don't drink Art Car so no need to price them at $7 a pint. Don't have cheap Coors and you're fine.

I get Cobble & Spoke charging those prices since they sell only small-brewery beers you can't pick a 6 pack of for the price of a pint/snifter.
Boats and Hose
AG
drumboy said:

Motis B Totis said:

Bums don't drink Art Car so no need to price them at $7 a pint. Don't have cheap Coors and you're fine.

I get Cobble & Spoke charging those prices since they sell only small-brewery beers you can't pick a 6 pack of for the price of a pint/snifter.
Totally agree. I really like Lazy Oaks but it's not cheap drinking. I wonder what their approach will be when Kirby Ice House opens up on Gessner this spring? Have to believe that they would lose some of their customers.
Charlie Murphy
Anyone been to Powder Keg yet? Its on the other side of the beltway but pretty close.
TriAg2010
AG
Motis B Totis said:

I won't claim to be expertly calibrated on bar prices, but is $5 for a pint or well drink considered high for Houston?
drumboy
AG
TriAg2010 said:

Motis B Totis said:

I won't claim to be expertly calibrated on bar prices, but is $5 for a pint or well drink considered high for Houston?

$5 is fine for craft beer. Once you approach 6 pack prices is when I get annoyed.
AggieLong
AG
Went to Powder Keg on Saturday for the LSU/Bama game. It's a really cool outdoor atmosphere and kid & dog friendly.
Charlie Murphy
Texadelphia opening up a location in Memorial City

Texadelphia
milkman001
AG
Jumping back to the Shoot the Moon stuff. One of the owners, Jonas Herd, is an Aggie. Class of '06. He was my roommate in college for several years. Great guy. Looking forward to checking it out when it opens up.
Ag_07
AG
I tried the new Joy Love Eatery (formerly Joy Love Burger) right there at Gessner and Emnora yesterday.

Pretty damn good burger! A tad bit pricey for lunch but the burger was really good. The fries were just frozen and pretty meh.

Overall I liked it and I'll be back. Hope it sticks around because it was empty in there.
inch05
AG
same people at Memorial and Dairy Ashford? Agree, the burger is pretty solid
ChipFTAC01
AG
AggieLong said:

Went to Powder Keg on Saturday for the LSU/Bama game. It's a really cool outdoor atmosphere and kid & dog friendly.

We went up there tonight with some friends. Pretty incredible beer/wine /liquor selection for the fact that it's served out of a shipping container. Definitely will hit it up again.
Chewy
AG
Assuming that's Kirby Ice House going up across from the Whataburger at Gess and 10 it might actually be open in time for March Madness.
TriAg2010
AG
I know this is stretching if it's really Spring Branch, but this new gas station that opened on the SE corner of Westview and Beltway 8. The owners really think they can call it Bucky's and not get sued into bolivian by Buc-ee's? I'm not sure they see the new year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.