Houston
Sponsored by

Spring Branch

141,584 Views | 821 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TriAg2010
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You would be surprised how well some of those older apartments cash flow. That's what keeps them around for so long.
tukAg10
AG
I would hope so also but Diggity has a point unfortunately. But a man can keep dreaming. Once Kirby's Ice House and Torchy's are finished, I'll have some distraction for a bit
Liquid Wrench
I was shopping for an apartment along I-10 several years ago and found out that, at least at the time, the halfway decent apartments had waiting lists because of people trying to get into SBISD. The more rundown apartments may not have waiting lists but probably still do enough business without having to invest in upgrades.
Boats and Hose
AG
It's only a matter of time, IMO. It's encouraging to see companies like Braun step in and get it going. I just wish I more development companies would follow suit sooner rather than later and take it further west. I would think that the first step is restaurant and retail development followed by improved housing options.
Diggity
AG
Typically, retail follows housing. Spring Branch is located in close proximity to some higher end residential areas so it's becoming more attractive to investors. There's work to do but it has improved a ton.
Ag_07
AG
I've heard through the grapevine that a new bar will be opening at Bingle and Kempwood in the space that was The Americana (former dive bar in that shopping center).

Apparently going for the family friendly vibe of Lazy Oaks.

I don't know about that shopping center but at the same time Cobble and Spoke location is kinda odd and they do alright.
ptothemo
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

ptothemo said:

I just noticed this morning that there is construction fence around multiple buildings on the southwest corner of the Blalock and Long Point intersection. I didn't notice any other signs as it took me a second to process the fence being there. I just did a quick google search and couldn't find anything, so does anyone know what may be going on there?
Around the gas station?

The other southwest.

It was around that Autos-Mobiles place for sure and maybe around one or two of the other buildings there. I should have paid more attention to specifics, so I'll do that in the morning when I go by again.
Charlie Murphy
Ag_07 said:

I've heard through the grapevine that a new bar will be opening at Bingle and Kempwood in the space that was The Americana (former dive bar in that shopping center).

Apparently going for the family friendly vibe of Lazy Oaks.

I don't know about that shopping center but at the same time Cobble and Spoke location is kinda odd and they do alright.

Are you thinking of Diversion Cocktails?

Edited: nm, Diversion is going in on Long Point. Surprised there hasn't been much Publicity about it.
Charlie Murphy
ptothemo said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

ptothemo said:

I just noticed this morning that there is construction fence around multiple buildings on the southwest corner of the Blalock and Long Point intersection. I didn't notice any other signs as it took me a second to process the fence being there. I just did a quick google search and couldn't find anything, so does anyone know what may be going on there?
Around the gas station?

The other southwest.

It was around that Autos-Mobiles place for sure and maybe around one or two of the other buildings there. I should have paid more attention to specifics, so I'll do that in the morning when I go by again.

That's my hood. I did notice a nice retail going in on the east side of Blalock right there.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
ptothemo said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

ptothemo said:

Around the gas station?

The other southwest.

Ah I was thinking Blalock and Westview.
ptothemo
AG
Paid more attention to it this morning and the construction fence borders Long Point, Blalock, and Cedar Post and surrounds that car wash to the south. No signs that I could see. I am hopeful that someone bought up the whole corner and is going to do something good with it, but we shall see.
tukAg10
AG
First I am hearing of this bar... when and where exactly are they looking to set up?
Charlie Murphy
tukAg10 said:

First I am hearing of this bar... when and where exactly are they looking to set up?
Very little has been said about it, they do have a facebook page with limited details. Supposedly it's The Kirby Group running the project.

7202 Longpoint

Diversion
tukAg10
AG
Damn. Wish it was more West. But it's a good addition
drumboy
AG
That area already has The Branch & Boozenasium. I wonder if my electric scooter can handle the jacked up sidewalks and lack of bike lanes or if I'll get jacked.
Charlie Murphy
My longer term view is that a good amount of the developments will come through long point. It just seems like a natural spill over from the heights area. definitely a ways to go with all of the tire and pawn shops standing in the way.
Ag_07
AG
The tire and pawn shops aren't what's standing in the way. Those will clear the way easily.

As discussed a little bit earlier it's the low income multi family apartment complexes that are the hurdle.

one MEEN Ag
AG
Ag_07 said:

The tire and pawn shops aren't what's standing in the way. Those will clear the way easily.

As discussed a little bit earlier it's the low income multi family apartment complexes that are the hurdle.

That also happen to be at the prime of their financing from what 15-20 years ago? With a ton of cash flow. No real estate developer is going to buy a multiple of their cash flow to get the property when there's other opportunities to buy land that don't have functioning real estate based businesses on top of them.

Those will be there for a long time.
speck3
I would imagine that eventually property taxes will begin to go up which will cause rents to go up so eventually something will give.
tukAg10
AG
Or the tenants run the apartment so far into the ground it needs a major capital intensive makeover or just sell. Wishful thinking. As long as they don't add to the masses we should see positive progress like we have. I just wish they would do that Haden Park makeover. Or at least fence the perimeter to keep the "day laborers" out.
Charlie Murphy
Hope i'm wrong but the Haden park refresh should make it much more comfortable for the same people that hang out there now.
Boats and Hose
AG
My thoughts exactly. Why dump money to spruce up a park just so the same problem can stil exist? I highly doubt they will look at the park and say "well this place is too nice for us, let's pack it up boys." I'd rather see capital injected into redesigning the run down strip centers into nicer areas (much like what Braun is doing).
lb sand
AG
I live in the area and drive thru the WitteLP intersection daily. I drive a black f150 that looks pretty much like all the other work trucks in the area. Those guys remind me of cows in a field coming to the truck when you are dropping off hay.
Those day laborers aren't going anywhere until the apartments around there are either gone or drastically changed.

My housekeeper told me once that there is something like a "group home" for the recently arrived young, male "immigrants" in close proximity to the park run by one of the churches. I'm not sure how accurate her story is though.
Chewy
AG
I go to Haden Park every day with my dogs. They can dress it up but nothing will change. The issue is not with the parks aesthetics but more to do with there's no "targeted" residents within walking distance.

From my understanding the revitalization is being driven by a vocal few that won't ever actually use it. They like the idea of it all but won't actually be active in using it.

You basically have four main groups out there:

1) Day laborers in the corner
2) Families from the apartments across the street
3) Transient people at the gazebo
4) Recreational people using the track or letting their dogs play

The transient people are interesting because they turn over every few months. I've been going out there for 6 years now and there's a few regulars that come and go but most are transient.

A lot are part of the staffing service down on LoPo by Lazy Oaks. I've had one ask me directions to a church but that's been it. Most of them stick to themselves but they're friendly.

The plan is noble but like others have said they key to revitalizing right now ain't spending money on Haden Park.
tukAg10
AG
I'm within walking distance and would use it if they spruced it up.

I still think a perimeter fence (obviously close to the street) would deter a lot from the actual park.

I do know the meineke center is up for sale. And the owner of Texas Auto told me ~6 months ago some company approached him about purchasing his garage and the empty lot he owns next to the food store. I think this was all in connection with the LoPo revitalization.

In my wildest dreams if that all sold and the owner would enforce no loitering, that would be major. I just feel the shop owners don't care. Who knows.

But yeah those crap apartments on Witte/LoPo kill any chance of something nice
drumboy
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Ag_07 said:

That also happen to be at the prime of their financing from what 15-20 years ago? With a ton of cash flow. No real estate developer is going to buy a multiple of their cash flow to get the property when there's other opportunities to buy land that don't have functioning real estate based businesses on top of them.

Those will be there for a long time.
Maybe they were sold 15-20 years ago but I think many of those apartments are much older. The place my parents lived in when they where first married in the early 70s at Blalock/Long Point is still there and it apparently was already a ****hole back then.
drumboy
AG
tukAg10 said:

I just wish they would do that Haden Park makeover. Or at least fence the perimeter to keep the "day laborers" out.
I never knew those were day laborers, I thought that park just attracted all of the homeless people in the area.
tukAg10
AG
I use the term day laborers lightly. When I use "vagrants" to neighbors or on nextdoor app, people seem to think they are out there to make an honest living. Not sure what they see.
Chewy
AG
The guys on the corner are definitely day laborers. If you drive a truck and stop anywhere near them but the light they're gonna jump in.

The people under the gazebo are either just chilling from the job they can get with proper identification or in between more "permanent" housing. At one point they had a mini fridge in the gazebo for like a week. I asked them if there was any beer in there and they said sometimes but it never lasted long. I was going to buy a case of Budweiser for them but never did.

If they do fix up Haden and somehow convince the day laborers to move they'll just go across LoPo. Those places south of LoPo at Witte are the bigger issue than Haden Park for now.

If you want to keep the vagrants away just cut off the power to the single 110W outlet at the gazebo. That's like an oasis in the desert. Although I have to say there's a few times someone will have a speaker and the jams they're cranking are pretty solid so there's some value for the whole park in that outlet.
Diggity
AG
do ya'll really call it LoPo?
Chewy
AG
LoPo Fo Life!
TXAG 05
AG
Diggity said:

do ya'll really call it LoPo?

You don't?
randy828
AG
Wife and I hit 4J's and they happened to have Lonestar Bluegrass Band playing Friday night. Great time.
After that, we hit Korean Garden Restaurant. Pretty fun cooking the meat at our table.
Then we went to 1810 Ojeman and caught a live jazz band playing. Great stuff.
We are going to try Bori soon. Keep the recommendations coming on this thread.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
H-town ag
AG
Went to Slowpokes this weekend. Great coffee and menu - panino sandwiches, salads, and great flatbread pizzas.
drumboy
AG
H-town ag said:

Went to Slowpokes this weekend. Great coffee and menu - panino sandwiches, salads, and great flatbread pizzas.
Isn't that in Oak Forest?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.