Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,612,393 Views | 14229 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by K Bo
Mateo84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How durable are those yacht master bezels? They look like I would scratch them up quickly.
Serviam
Mateo84 said:

How durable are those yacht master bezels? They look like I would scratch them up quickly.

They're ceramic so they're tough
Serotonin
AG
I love GMTs and Subs but the Yachtmaster (like Daytona) has such a smooth profile:

AgEng06
AG
Did y'all see the new Omega Speedy offerings?

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-two-new-bicolor-omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-models/

BBRex
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Yes

This is bringing back ichthyology nightmares. Not as bad as invertebrate zoology nightmares, but close.
TheOC16
AG
AgEng06 said:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-two-new-bicolor-omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-models/

Had not. That is interesting. Would want to see in person before making a judgement.
Serviam
AgEng06 said:

At first glance that looks like something one of the Armenian dudes trying to moisturize my hands at a Galleria kiosk would wear
jh0400
AG
Virgin Voyages opened a Rolex museum on one of their ships. It's technically a retail store for used watches, but I doubt they sell many. They have a 2016 GMT Master 2 black bezel full set on display. I asked the guy to take a look and saw that they had it priced at $26k. I expected something close to $15k which would still be high, but that price was so far out of market it left me speechless.
RVAg02
AG
RCCL had the same on the Harmony of the Seas. Not a museum but used Rolexes. Staggering prices.
nealan
Sounds like they are trying to NOT sell them
RVAg02
AG
I think they use them as a way of getting some folks in the door of the store and then sell them to fools on vacation that don't really know the prices of things.
jh0400
AG
RVAg02 said:

RCCL had the same on the Harmony of the Seas. Not a museum but used Rolexes. Staggering prices.

These were used watches for sale, but I'd be shocked if they actually sold one.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
jh0400 said:

Virgin Voyages opened a Rolex museum on one of their ships. It's technically a retail store for used watches, but I doubt they sell many. They have a 2016 GMT Master 2 black bezel full set on display. I asked the guy to take a look and saw that they had it priced at $26k. I expected something close to $15k which would still be high, but that price was so far out of market it left me speechless.
They are marketing to the drunk and/or uninitiated. They know exactly what they are doing.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TarponChaser
I've only been on a cruise once so maybe I'm poorly informed since it was a free trip via my wife's work. It was a short sail from Galveston down to Cozumel and back on a Carnival ship. Anyway, I know Carnival is like the Spirit Airlines of the seas and I wouldn't pay to take this cruise myself but are the folks on a cruise really the sort to spend 5-figures on a watch?
AgLA06
AG
TarponChaser said:

I've only been on a cruise once so maybe I'm poorly informed since it was a free trip via my wife's work. It was a short sail from Galveston down to Cozumel and back on a Carnival ship. Anyway, I know Carnival is like the Spirit Airlines of the seas and I wouldn't pay to take this cruise myself but are the folks on a cruise really the sort to spend 5-figures on a watch?
Well, based on your take they're already spending $5k on a ****ty cruise. At least the watch would have some lasting value.
htxag09
AG
TarponChaser said:

Depends on the cruise.

I'm not much of a cruise person but have done one recently and enjoyed it. I think you're right that carnival is gonna be the cheaper crowd. Also, in my research, shorter cruises also tend to have less desirable crowds.

Some of the new ships with longer itineraries ain't cheap….
jh0400
AG
I've done two Virgin cruises in Europe and have seen some nice watches on board. A good amount of Datejusts, a few Day Dates, and the random AP here or there.
TP Ag '87
AG
We do Royal cruises and have really come to enjoy them.

Re watches. I got a good deal on an Oris last year on a RC cruise. Avoiding tax, I did better than on land for the model I got.

I love going in their stores and messing with their "sales" people.
Serviam
Royal Caribbean normally has Tag Heuer on board and some used Rolexes but as has been said, the prices are laughable. I think the only benefit would be would by paying for a rolex with your key card, and not having to see the charge until you get off the boat.
Diggity
AG
At the RC cruises I've been on, the Invictus style watches they display in the middle of the promenade seem to get a lot more interest than anything in the watch store.

They have "theme nights" for different brands but it's always a ****ty selection of overpriced used stuff.
jh0400
AG
I made a pass through the full shop earlier, and we've got Oris, IWC, Breitling, Tissot, and Tag available in addition to the aforementioned Rolexes.
D-Dubya-09
AG
Diggity said:

At the RC cruises I've been on, the Invictus style watches they display in the middle of the promenade seem to get a lot more interest than anything in the watch store.

They have "theme nights" for different brands but it's always a ****ty selection of overpriced used stuff.
RC had an Invictus night on our cruise and it was laughable! They had "$500-$1000 watches" marked down with a Cruise only discount to like $75-100. Those POS watches could have been free and I wouldn't wear them.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Explora Journeys offers a Rolex boutique onboard one of it's ships.

https://explorajourneys.com/us/en/life-on-explora/shopping-experiences/rolex

The Rolexes I've seen on other ships are a rip-off that prey on the ignorant and uninitiated. The same goes for most retailers near the cruise ports. I had one try to sell me a new Explorer II for over $20K last year in Juneau, AK.
AgLA06
AG
AgEng06 said:

I'm normally not a rose gold guy, but that looks nice.
ThreeFive
AG
jh0400 said:

I don't think I'd go on a cruise even if they were offering a free GMT. Talk about a group of overweight people, crusty heels, and terrible tattoos. Hard pass.
BQRyno
AG
Go on a more expensive cruise. Problem solved. Cruises are amazing.
jh0400
AG
ThreeFive said:

jh0400 said:

I don't think I'd go on a cruise even if they were offering a free GMT. Talk about a group of overweight people, crusty heels, and terrible tattoos. Hard pass.

Cruises are like anything else. The expense isn't to get in, it's to keep others out. I wouldn't take a Carnival cruise, but others are ok.
TheOC16
AG
That "Wheels, Watches, and Whiskey" event is coming back to The Stella in August.

https://wheelswatcheswhiskey.com/

I went last year and enjoyed it. It was lighter on the watches (David Gardner brought Tudors and then there were a couple Austin micro brands) but enjoyed the conversations, and there was tons of food (saw they're doing two tiers of tickets this year though, and food doesn't come with the basic one).
YouBet
AG
Serviam said:

AgEng06 said:

At first glance that looks like something one of the Armenian dudes trying to moisturize my hands at a Galleria kiosk would wear

Yeah, those are gross.
TXAG 05
AG
ThreeFive said:

jh0400 said:

Get a free GMT for sitting on a boat pounding beers for 3-4 days? Sign me up!
Mateo84
AG
YouBet said:

Serviam said:

AgEng06 said:

Yeah, those are gross.

I'm a huge speedy fan, and a huge two-tone watch fan, and even I am struggling to like these.
nealan
I like the two tone in the Speedmaster 57

panag
AG
Don't like the others but this one is much better.
Serviam
I have enjoyed the heck out of some cruises as long as the weather is good and you're able to get off the ship at every port of call. I also don't like how cramped even the nice rooms are for tall people.

The worst cruise I went on was a disney cruise, unlike Royal Caribbean they didn't have a long open promenade with restaurants and stores down the center, everything was just tucked away in a different part of the ship; so there was nowhere you could go and just "chill" unless it was outdoors. It was also expensive as hell.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I've never done an ocean cruise and probably wouldn't unless I was on a catamaran. My wife and I did a river cruise on the Rhine and had a blast. I would absolutely do another river cruise. I think there were less than 70 people on our boat and the average age was probably 80 including us when we were like 27.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
First Page Last Page
Page 401 of 407

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.