Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,785,457 Views | 14951 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by FTAC2011
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

TheVarian said:

What are some good field watches under $500?

I dropped my timex daily the other day and it cracked
I assume that was a typo and you meant 5,000. I say Tudor Ranger.
The best sommeliers can give just as good a recommendation on a $20 of wine as a $2k bottle. And don't make you feel little in the process.
People don't go on high-end wine boards to ask for a $20 bottle of wine.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

TheVarian said:

The best sommeliers can give just as good a recommendation on a $20 of wine as a $2k bottle. And don't make you feel little in the process.
I'm sure they go on the don't know or pretend to know as much wine boards.
htxag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

TheVarian said:

Yeah they do. There's a wine thread similar to this one. Lots of several hundred plus dollar bottles of wine consumed and discussed there. Lots of discussion about best bottles for $20, $50 etc as well.
Farmer1906
AG
htxag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

TheVarian said:

Yeah they do. There's a wine thread similar to this one. Lots of several hundred plus dollar bottles of wine consumed and discussed there. Lots of discussion about best bottles for $20, $50 etc as well.
Prove it.
nealan
I love my Hamilton
htxag09
AG
Prove what?
TheVarian
AG
I love the simplicity of it, very clean and sleek. That and it has military time on the face.
nealan
Also, this ..
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

htxag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

TheVarian said:

Prove it.
What we keep trying to impress on you is "high end' is subjective to everyone. $1K might be the most high end watch someone will every want to own. Even if they are a millionaire.

I appreciate you like and can enjoy the finer things in life that many of us can't. But if you want to have any kind of conversation, it has to match the situation. And preferably doesn't belittle people who may be asking about a price range that requires them saving up a long time and is their watch milestone.

Because in the end, it doesn't really matter what prestige or level of elite you reach if no one thinks much of you. Sorta defeats the point.
nealan
It has a very satisfying hand wind for a sub $500 watch. Also a sapphire crystal which is nice (the Seiko I posted has a hardlex crystal which is why I haven't bought that one…..yet )
nealan
Also, my Hamilton is the 38mm which I prefer in a field watch. They also make it in a 42mm
TheVarian
AG
Yes, I shatter glass/crystal? I don't know what the timex had but I need strong and durable. I'm not schooled in the glass stuff

I do love the look of it. Need to go try one on
Farmer1906
AG
Blah blah blah

$500 isn't high end.
ChemAg15
AG
+1 for Hamilton

TheVarian
AG
Go back to the premium board please. Seems like the common circle of good and "cheap" people should stay here and aren't your cup of tea.
Farmer1906
AG
I've been on this thread for like 8 years.
TheVarian
AG
That's nice.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Bertucci is a good grab and go for $100ish but i think they're all quartz. Do you really want auto?
schmendeler
AG
Farmer is the thread curmudgeon. Just ignore him if he bothers you. I like to imagine him as the old man in Up. Sometimes he has valuable things to say and sometimes he's just cranky.
TheVarian
AG
I know, it's just annoying.

Guess money can't buy sense or kindness.
nealan
Agreed ! I have a Bertucci as well. Great value there. You can get titanium, polymer, steel. I think they are all quartz not that it matters much
FTAco07
AG
Can we all not recognize Farmer's strong commitment to his bit and not bicker for 20 posts every time? I for one appreciate it and think it's amusing.

On a medium end to high end note, I attended an event last night with a new small independent brand, Carl Suchy & Sohne. Lots of history in that brand that was relaunched a few years ago and they are making some cool pieces for those who like and appreciate the independents.

Their new Belvedere sport watch is a cool and understated piece with a unique rotating date feature. There's also a couple new models coming out later this year with a new black color/bezel and a titanium option. US pricing is $7,500 so it's not cheap, but more affordable than lots of "high end" sports watches out there today with a lot more uniqueness.

https://www.carlsuchy.com/collection/belvedere/

TheOC16
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

htxag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

TheVarian said:

Prove it.
What we keep trying to impress on you is "high end' is subjective to everyone. $1K might be the most high end watch someone will every want to own. Even if they are a millionaire.

I appreciate you like and can enjoy the finer things in life that many of us can't. But if you want to have any kind of conversation, it has to match the situation. And preferably doesn't belittle people who may be asking about a price range that requires them saving up a long time and is their watch milestone.

Because in the end, it doesn't really matter what prestige or level of elite you reach if no one thinks much of you. Sorta defeats the point.
You are right.

But also I hope Farmer never stops. He keeps the thread interesting. He's like the nuanced villain that you find yourself agreeing with for 40% of the movie.
AgLA06
AG
FTAco07 said:

Can we all not recognize Farmer's strong commitment to his bit and not bicker for 20 posts every time? I for one appreciate it and think it's amusing.

On a medium end to high end note, I attended an event last night with a new small independent brand, Carl Suchy & Sohne. Lots of history in that brand that was relaunched a few years ago and they are making some cool pieces for those who like and appreciate the independents.

Their new Belvedere sport watch is a cool and understated piece with a unique rotating date feature. There's also a couple new models coming out later this year with a new black color/bezel and a titanium option. US pricing is $7,500 so it's not cheap, but more affordable than lots of "high end" sports watches out there today with a lot more uniqueness.

https://www.carlsuchy.com/collection/belvedere/

Reminds me of Seikos.
Farmer1906
AG
Not my style, but at least they're kind of interesting and not just like everyone else. I can't say I know a bunch about them but it gives me vibes of someone bought history to try and distinguish themselves from other "new" watch brands.
DoitBest
S

FTAco07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Not my style, but at least they're kind of interesting and not just like everyone else. I can't say I know a bunch about them but it gives me vibes of someone bought history to try and distinguish themselves from other "new" watch brands.
Oh they absolutely bought the brand history, of a company that shut down after WWI and the fall of the Austro-Hungarian empire. That said, the CEO/owner is also Austrian and has an interesting art/design background.

As to the "looks like a Seiko" I can't say I agree with that at all having seen and worn it in person. Fit and finish is top notch, and the rotating inner dial ring with the date display isn't going to be found on a cheap watch. Seiko's don't look like this either:

All of that said, its not a piece to impress anyone other than yourself or people who notice and value interesting and unique watches beyond the mass produced big brands.
jh0400
AG
Keep an eye on Ashford, and you should be able to pick up a Hamilton Khaki Field Auto for $300 or so if you're patient.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
This small brand has recently caught my eye. This maroon watch with croc band looks nice.

https://haimwatchco.com/product/legacy-automatic/
Fall92
AG
For $150 more you can get this nearly new CW Sealander automatic. It is 36mm though.

https://www.christopherward.com/int/sale/C63-Sealander-Automatic---Nearly-New/N63-36ADA3-S00W0-VC.html
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
jh0400
AG
I've got a 39mm Sealander wouldn't use it as a true field watch due the crystal sitting quite a bit higher than the bezel.
Fall92
AG
Good point.

Edit- I have a CW Aviator with a leather strap that would be a good option but I don't think they make those anymore.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
AgLA06
AG
jh0400 said:

I've got a 39mm Sealander wouldn't use it as a true field watch due the crystal sitting quite a bit higher than the bezel.
I think CW is a good value, but definitely not the same field or pilot style as being discussed.
schmendeler
AG
Here's one dedicated to Farmer. I thought this was really interesting.

YouBet
AG
This Roger Dubuis Knights of the Round Table Titanium Damascus is on my short list:

First Page Last Page
Page 377 of 428

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.