Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,751,487 Views | 14850 Replies | Last: 53 min ago by BBRex
ET1/SS Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found this IWC in Vegas this weekend. I was about to go for it but my wife's datejust came in oddly while we were there.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
That Nomos and Tudor are two of my favorite watches.
Guitarsoup
AG
BroncStomper06 said:

Thanks. I'm really digging several of the Portofino models on the IWC site. I must admit that I'm not as familiar with IWC as a brand. Is it comparable to Omega in terms of quality?
Similar, possibly step up.
Dies Irae
BroncStomper06 said:

Thanks. I'm really digging several of the Portofino models on the IWC site. I must admit that I'm not as familiar with IWC as a brand. Is it comparable to Omega in terms of quality?

I would say IWC is a step above but I think Omega makes a better watch but has horrible branding
FTAC2011
AG
Dies Irae said:

BroncStomper06 said:

I would say IWC is a step above but I think Omega makes a better watch but has horrible branding

The iconic moonwatch company has poor branding?
AgLA06
AG
What about grand seiko?

Grand Seiko
$2,650
https://chrono24.app/grandseiko/grand-seiko-gmt--id26241955.htm?SETLANG=en_US&SETCURR=USD

Grand Seiko
$2,800
https://chrono24.app/grandseiko/sbga283--id29684225.htm?SETLANG=en_US&SETCURR=USD

Grand Seiko
$2,900
https://chrono24.app/grandseiko/sbgr251--id28559324.htm?SETLANG=en_US&SETCURR=USD

FtBendTxAg
AG
I'd say IWC is a step up. Your watch maker would likely be more impressed by a nice IWC opposed to an Omega. Your non watch guy will obviously prefer Omega. Not to take away from Omega. IWC has more high end high complication watches. Kinda like comparing JLC to Rolex. Everyone knows who the better watchmaker is… both have watches that start in the same range, but a vast difference in the high end. Just my
Opinion.
FtBendTxAg
AG
FTAC2011 said:

Dies Irae said:

BroncStomper06 said:

Yeah I don't get that one. They're not Rolex, but it's the only brand that the swatch groups throws money at for branding.. with Longines picking up steam again.
JSKolache
AG
FTAC2011 said:

Dies Irae said:

BroncStomper06 said:

Yes, because they have 3,047 other models, submodels, and "colorways." At some point it's dilution.
YouBet
AG
JSKolache said:

FTAC2011 said:

Dies Irae said:

BroncStomper06 said:

Yes, because they have 3,047 other models, submodels, and "colorways." At some point it's dilution.

Almost bought one 10 years ago instead of my Milgauss. Still like them a lot but to your point I see guys on this thread quite frequently throw out the 3081.42 (or whatever the hell it is) Moonwatch version and it just makes me look past it.

It's confusing and it shouldn't be.
Farmer1906
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

I'd say IWC is a step up. Your watch maker would likely be more impressed by a nice IWC opposed to an Omega. Your non watch guy will obviously prefer Omega. Not to take away from Omega. IWC has more high end high complication watches. Kinda like comparing JLC to Rolex. Everyone knows who the better watchmaker is… both have watches that start in the same range, but a vast difference in the high end. Just my
Opinion.
Aesthetically, I like a lot of IWC. But the size is usually too big and they offer (or offered, I haven't checked in a while) a bunch of ETA and Sellita movements.

I would say the Omega and IWC are fairly similar. The difference is Omega has better history, a bigger name (if that matters to you), and more iconic pieces.

As a huge fan of JLC, I kind of see where you're going and kinda don't.

But let's bring up JLC for recommendations. That would be an easy cut above most listed.

This is 9.5K new. I bet you could find a used one close to budget. That is what I would lean towards.

Diggity
AG
I was looking at JLC on Chrono to recommend but they didn't have anything in that range. The cost to service can be prohibitive as well. They are some of my favorite "dress" watches for sure.

I love my Omegas but have never been a big fan of the Devilles for whatever reason.

Cartier and Montblanc make some nice looking watches in that general price range.
BoDog
AG
BroncStomper06 said:

Step up from Omega...
BroncStomper06
AG
Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm definitely adding IWC to my list to try on. I love the JLC, but I figured it would be well out of my budget. Can a good used one really be found in the $3500 ballpark?

For whatever reason, I've never really been a fan of the Grand Seikos. I think I just gravitate to the Swiss or German-made watches.

Years ago, I picked out this Montblanc as one I liked, but I don't know if it can still be found.

My current work everyday watch is a Hamilton Intra-Matic.

Diggity
AG
Looking at the resale sites, you'll likely be north of $5K for a decent used JLC.
Dies Irae
Having a great time at the beach, left the watch back at the house so I didn't attract too much attention.

My wife snapped this great candid of me.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Always pictured you with more hair.
AgLA06
AG
That's a shame. Your watch would have gone nicely with that necklace.

Don't ever be ashamed of who you are. I think you're a nice looking fella.
AgEng06
AG
YouBet said:

JSKolache said:

FTAC2011 said:

Dies Irae said:

BroncStomper06 said:

Almost bought one 10 years ago instead of my Milgauss. Still like them a lot but to your point I see guys on this thread quite frequently throw out the 3081.42 (or whatever the hell it is) Moonwatch version and it just makes me look past it.

It's confusing and it shouldn't be.
Psssh... no more Speedy pics for this guy.
FTAC2011
AG
Finally came in

AgLA06
AG
Pretty!
nealan
does the gold run through the center of the clasp?
FTAC2011
AG
nealan said:

does the gold run through the center of the clasp?
yessir!
FTAC2011
AG
nealan
Nice

I always hated when it didn't go through , like on some of the older 2 tones
AgLA06
AG
Interesting. How long ago was that changed?

My Bluesy from the early 2000s carries through the clasp.
nealan
FTAC2011 can probably speak on that better than I can , but I'm guessing mid 90's?
FTAC2011
AG
Depends on the model but yes mid 90s is about right
TheOC16
AG
Dang that's sexy. Wouldn't take it over a Root Beer, but certainly wouldn't turn it down either.
Farmer1906
AG
I'd wear one.
Diggity
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I'd wear one.

Too monochromatic for my tastes
lb sand
AG
2024 Paris Olympic watch

https://www.watchpro.com/omega-reveals-first-official-watch-for-the-paris-2024-olympics/

schmendeler
AG
Not a fan
JSKolache
AG
Same watch, different colors. See above post.
Daytona22
AG
New game day strap for the Seiko. 5 more weeks!
First Page Last Page
Page 330 of 425

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.