Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,751,891 Views | 14850 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by BBRex
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been considering one of these for my Speedy. They're made to order, so you can change the stitching and the color of the keepers if you want.

https://thestraptailor.com/product/epsom-calfskin-watch-strap-seagull-grey-rally-with-rb-contrast-keepers/

Marauder Blue 6
AG
LPHA said:

What sort of band(s) do y'all think would look good on the Baume & Mercier?
I like leather or rubber with a contrast stitch in either white or red. Perforated like the post above mine looks good too.
schmendeler
AG
The blue and red would look cool with a Pepsi GMT
LPHA
AG
Thank you to all of you
BBRex
AG
Diggity said:

Love the Hamilton fields but those sport watches look generic to me. Could be mistaken for a Shinola pretty easily.

I could see that. To be honest, I don't mind the look of Shinola, it's what's inside that I really don't care for.
Diggity
AG
Agreed.
LPHA
AG
What watch winders would yall recommend?
nealan
Wolf is the go-to brand, but I don't use a winder. Winding the watch is part of the fun
Dies Irae
Wolf is very good and very expensive but unless you have a moonphase annual calendar or something similarly exotic I would say don't bother
FHKChE07
AG
It must be an absolute pain in the a** to set a moonphase perpetual calendar. I wonder how many watch bros just have the wrong moonphase.
TheOC16
AG
I don't think it's right to flippantly dismiss winders. Yes, hand winding and developing that additional connection with the mechanics of the watch can be a nice draw for us enthusiasts. But at the same time if you've got more than 4-5 watches that see consistent wear in your rotation, you are likely to get to the point where every morning you wake up to put on a watch it is dead and displaying the wrong time.

Maybe some people like winding every morning. I personally do not, I'd prefer to save that for my free time when I have a chance to spend some time with the watch and dial back in the exact atomic time. Or save it for one (or two) manual wind piece in the collection. But when I'm getting ready for work in the morning it is nice to be able to reach for whichever watch I want to wear and know the time's right. I don't have to sit there and go through my OCD routine of getting the time accurate to the second or wear a watch with the time wrong until I get a break halfway through the day at the office.

If you don't care about having the exact time on your watch or if you only wear 2-3 consistently, yeah you probably don't need a winder. But they are a nice convenience for many of us, and if you're already going to be paying for a display box for your watches, why not make it a winder?
TheOC16
AG
All that said, here is what I had. I paid $120 for it in May of 2020.

But you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to longevity - one of the motors went out about a year ago and the other finally kicked the bucket a couple months back.

It actually looks very nice, nicer than the photos on Amazon would make you think. I'm sure there's something with better aesthetics out there, but I really haven't had a desire to upgrade when it comes to the looks department.

I've considered upgrading on the overall quality and looked at Wolf, but balked when I saw the pricing for the winding capacity/storage capacity you get. That's why I've sat here for months debating whether to go cheap again and just realize I'm going to have to replace every couple years, or pony up for something a little nicer. Don't see moving into the Wolf price range though.

Anecdotally, I did speak with a Rolex Service Technician who said any of the fears about "overwinding" in particular and winders in general are misguided, so Wolf's claims about rotations per day and all that jazz are probably just marketing tactics. Only thing you need to watch out for is that your watches are secured tightly enough and have enough room in-between each other that they're not knocking into each other. I never had issues with either on the winder I listed (it shows out of stock but you can find others that seem very similar on Amazon, probably all made in the same Chinese factory).

I'm still sorting through what to get next myself, so if LPHA or any other posters have insight, I'm all ears.
AgEng06
AG
Count me as one that doesn't mind spending 2-3 minutes in the morning winding and setting my watches to the atomic clock. I like having some interaction with them past just the wearing part.
Daytona22
AG
I agree with you about wanting to have a few watches readily available that I switch out throughout the week. I have a 3 watch winder that has storage above it for additional watches. I've loved it and it's still going several years after I put first set of batteries in it.

https://www.wolf1834.com/viceroy-triple-winder-with-storage#93=85

AgLA06
AG
I guess I'm the outlier. I generally only wear 3 watches regularly. Just rotating through them is 4 days between wearing them. It's more common for them to be dead when I rotate through them, than to still be on time. I liked the idea of winders and even got one for my Rolex. I just didn't like the results. It changed how it told time when on the winder.

I'd totally have one for my watches if it meant it 100% didn't harm or impact the time keeping in any way.
dummble
AG
I was gifted a Wolf. When I take my navitimer off on friday I put it on the winder (set to counter clockwise). I take it off for church on Sunday and back on the winder after. I wear a gshock on the weekends.

From what I understand, with normal wear, the watch is not at full wind so I am not getting the full power reserve. In my experience, even though the Breitling website says my watch will wind in both directions on a winder, only the CC keeps it on correct time.

Marcus Aurelius
AG
Winder is also nice for a GMT. As one of mine is a little painful to set. However from my read winders do not preserve movement quality over time. More of a convenience tool.
YouBet
AG
Had a winder for our Rolex's and I found that it wouldn't actually keep our watches running. May have been a cheap one though. Not sure since my wife bought it. I will say it has lasted for quite a while. I stopped using it since I only have one watch that matters and I don't mind winding it.
FTAco07
AG
I have an eight watch winder with eight individual motors. It is a relatively cheap one, but looks good and works fine. I've contemplated upgrading to a Wolf, but $5k is a pretty steep price for the same size.
YouBet
AG
FTAco07 said:

I have an eight watch winder with eight individual motors. It is a relatively cheap one, but looks good and works fine. I've contemplated upgrading to a Wolf, but $5k is a pretty steep price for the same size.
Damn. Would rather buy a ninth watch.
Mateo84
AG
Do you guys keep these watch winders inside a safe or on a shelf somewhere? I'd be worried about the collection being too visible.
FTAco07
AG
Mine is on a shelf in the master closet
Sea Speed
AG
Visible to who? Does anyone besides your friends come to your home? Or do you just mean in the event if an unrelated random break in?
zgolfz85
AG
Guessing maids, etc
Dies Irae
Sea Speed said:

Visible to who? Does anyone besides your friends come to your home? Or do you just mean in the event if an unrelated random break in?

I was thinking "his wife" my wife thinks I own about two watches and I'd like to keep it that way
YouBet
AG
Dies Irae said:

Sea Speed said:

I was thinking "his wife" my wife thinks I own about two watches and I'd like to keep it that way

Works out well since you don't know about her boyfriend.

Edit: "didn't"
SPF250
AG
Dies Irae said:

Sea Speed said:

That's hysterical. We know better.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
YouBet said:

FTAco07 said:

Damn. Would rather buy a ninth watch.

If you don't have a watch that needs to be wound ccw then you could just buy a stack of cubs for $400 each
aggiedata
AG
1995 Sub for sale on classifieds

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3387828

Well that's interesting
JSKolache
AG
I didn't realize how sedentary i was until i bought a 70hr automatic, ha. I rarely move around enough during the week to keep it going the whole weekend. New "old" tech has bested me.
Mateo84
AG
Sea Speed said:

Guests that come over, random furniture delivery guy, electrician, HVAC repair guy, etc … a shelf in the closet would not be visible to most of those people, but it doesn't take long for someone to slip away down the hallway when nobody is looking. And yes, in the event of a random break in as well.

Some people here are showing off 6 figure watch collections.
Sea Speed
AG
A watch box would be easy to move if you had a guest you didn't want to see them though, which was what I was getting at.
AggieP18
Let's get this thing sold!

D-Dubya-09
AG

@FTAC2011 - Thank you for sourcing me this Omega!!
schmendeler
AG
Beautiful
First Page Last Page
Page 327 of 425

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.