Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,751,883 Views | 14850 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by BBRex
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Per capita, Yountville, CA is by far the winner in that category. Official population is around 3,500, and they have French Laundry, Bouchon, Bouchon Bakery, Ad Hoc, and Bistro Jeanty all on the same street.
AgLA06
AG
jh0400 said:

Per capita, Yountville, CA is by far the winner in that category. Official population is around 3,500, and they have French Laundry, Bouchon, Bouchon Baker, Ad Hoc, and Bistro Jeanty all on the same street.
Well, it's a high wealth vacation playground in a french country side setting with beautiful weather. It's the perfect storm scenario for that nich. I'd argue it's easier to make it as a high end restaurant there than some of the bigger food cities. Less competition, less dependency on loyal customers, and a perfect setting.

Still a great food area.
AgLA06
AG
Fall92 said:

I'd have to agree with you. I've had plenty of overpriced meals in Manhattan that were just meh. Not to say there aren't some fine restaurants, but overall Charleston and Houston, among others, are better food towns IMO.
I'm in the industry. Add New Orleans and Southern California and you've hit the nail on the head.

New York food scene if very much all hat, no cattle.
YouBet
AG
jh0400 said:

Per capita, Yountville, CA is by far the winner in that category. Official population is around 3,500, and they have French Laundry, Bouchon, Bouchon Baker, Ad Hoc, and Bistro Jeanty all on the same street.

Good example.

Another per capita candidate is Santa Fe, NM. There are some badass restaurants there and many of them.
AgLA06
AG
YouBet said:

jh0400 said:

Good example.

Another per capita candidate is Santa Fe, NM. There are some badass restaurants there and many of them.
Yes and No.

There are some really great places there.

Santa Fe also is falsely put on a pedestal because the rest of the food in the state is really bad. And boosted by the fact wealthy people correlate a unique setting and high price for quality.

The Santa Fe School of cooking is worth a visit and booking walking tours. They'll open your eyes to local places not on the top 20 lists that are really great.

I'd personally rather eat at Coyote Cafe than many of the top 20 places if i'm not looking to spend a lot of money. Spent a lot of time at the rooftop cafe waiting for the afternoon heat to subside.
YouBet
AG
AgLA06 said:

YouBet said:

jh0400 said:

Good example.

Yes and No.

Santa Fe also is falsely put on a pedestal because the rest of the food in the state is really bad. And boosted by the fact wealthy people correlate a unique setting and high price for quality.

The Santa Fe School of cooking is worth a visit and booking walking tours. They'll open your eyes to local places not on the top 20 lists that are really great.

I'd personally rather eat at Coyote Cafe than many of the top 20 places if i'm not looking to spend a lot of money. Spent a lot of time at the rooftop cafe waiting for the afternoon heat to subside.
The rest of the state isn't relevant to my opinion though. I'm comparing it to all of the other food scenes we've been to (Yountville, Vegas, New Orleans, NY, San Franciso, Dallas, Houston, etc) and Santa Fe is up there from a per capita standpoint.
zgolfz85
AG
YouBet said:

AgLA06 said:

YouBet said:

jh0400 said:

Good example.

Yes and No.

The rest of the state isn't relevant to my opinion though. I'm comparing it to all of the other food scenes we've been to (Yountville, Vegas, New Orleans, NY, San Franciso, Dallas, Houston, etc) and Santa Fe is up there from a per capita standpoint.
Santa Fe is fantastic for food and yes, the rest of the state is a dumpster for food. The lifestyle and quality of life in Santa Fe attracts so much good food talent. I don't agree NYC is overrated...overwhelming sure, but not overrated IMHO. Having been on the luxury side of dining and travel for many years now, NYC is one of my top choices for domestic foodie destinations. Yountville is almost a class of its own. If I had f you money, I'd take my jet there for dinner once a week.
LPHA
AG
Back to watches...

What would be a good nicer chronograph, with budgets in mind, maybe 850-1500? I have an old quartz one that I don't really like, and would prefer an automatic from a nice mid-tier maker. I'm sure there are going to be a ton of suggestions, so fire away.

I currently have a Hamilton field watch and Mido diver.

ETA: And why did you suggest what you did?
TP Ag '87
AG
I'm sure this won't be a popular choice but I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Seiko Speedtimer as a budget chrono. It's a quartz but the chrono hand sweeps when activated.

Talked myself out of it, though.
jh0400
AG
Automatic chronograph under $1,500 is going to be tough. It looks like you could get a 3511.50 from Japan for around there. For a new watch, Le Jour makes a nice looking chrono that runs off of an SW-500 movement.
AgLA06
AG
jh0400 said:

Automatic chronograph under $1,500 is going to be tough. It looks like you could get a 3511.50 from Japan for around there. For a new watch, Le Jour makes a nice looking chrono that runs off of an SW-500 movement.
Brushed finishes remind me of cheap sidewalks.

Really like their styling otherwise.

https://www.lejourwatches.ch/collections/le-mans-chrono/products/lj-lm-006
nealan
This may be an unpopular take but I really like the new Tissot PRX Chrono. They can be found for $1,500
nealan
Hell, you can get a Speedy reduced for not (too) much more than that
zgolfz85
AG
AgLA06 said:

jh0400 said:

Brushed finishes remind me of cheap sidewalks.

Really like their styling otherwise.

https://www.lejourwatches.ch/collections/le-mans-chrono/products/lj-lm-006
I like that watch, but man the le jour logo is tough to like
zgolfz85
AG
not a tag guy, but man I really like this redo of the old skipper heuer:

https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/timepieces/collections/tag-heuer-carrera/39-mm-calibre-heuer-02-automatic/CBS2213.FN6002.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5MOlBhBTEiwAAJ8e1lizUFPapYnvnem6miUIdCCVBgxmg2GICQV0lO8Fmo0hDOzDjoFMmxoCZasQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

nealan
https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-prx-chronograph-automatic-blue-dial-mens-watch-t1374271104100.html
schmendeler
AG
I like that
nealan
I like it too, but the question was about a $1,500 watch. Not a $6,700 watch
nealan
For that money , I'm buying an El Primero

…. Or maybe a Navitimer
BBRex
AG
LPHA said:

Back to watches...

What would be a good nicer chronograph, with budgets in mind, maybe 850-1500? I have an old quartz one that I don't really like, and would prefer an automatic from a nice mid-tier maker. I'm sure there are going to be a ton of suggestions, so fire away.

Both above your price range a little and manual wind, not automatic, but I really like this Hamilton.

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/products/american-classic-intra-matic-chronograph-h-black-bracelet-ref-h38429130?_pos=14&_sid=d207249df&_ss=r
jh0400
AG
https://www.ashford.com/baume-and-mercier-a10001.html

nealan
Good pick in that price range
LPHA
AG
Don't know much about the company, but I don't hate how it looks. Also, 66% off?
LPHA
AG
I wouldn't be opposed to a mechanical either I guess. That Hamilton looks great!
nealan
It's a respectable company
zgolfz85
AG
nealan said:

I like it too, but the question was about a $1,500 watch. Not a $6,700 watch

We rarely stay on topic here
LPHA
AG
jh0400 said:

https://www.ashford.com/baume-and-mercier-a10001.html

Guess this is my newest watch. Impulse control is not a strong point
Marauder Blue 6
AG
LPHA said:

Back to watches...

Bulova Lunar Pilot

Still quartz but it does have space program history behind it.

https://www.bulova.com/us/en/collection/lunar-pilot/
Fall92
AG
I thought about Napa but wasn't sure about the depth. All the places you named and Auberge are fantastic. I would include Napa then and as someone else added, NOLA. Great, great restaurants there.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
BBRex
AG
Looks like Jomashop has that Hamilton in your range.

https://www.jomashop.com/search?q=Intra-magic
zgolfz85
AG
I dig this one minus the mesh band

LPHA
AG
I like that!
LPHA
AG
What sort of band(s) do y'all think would look good on the Baume & Mercier?
Diggity
AG
Love the Hamilton fields but those sport watches look generic to me. Could be mistaken for a Shinola pretty easily.
nealan
I like the leather
First Page Last Page
Page 326 of 425

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.