Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,503,593 Views | 13717 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by aTm2004
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
BoDog said:

I have greater watch/horology knowledge than 99% of this board

Yeah but you didn't say CIAO even one time so not sure if we can believe you.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Farmer1906
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

To paraphrase something I read earlier today, Tudor is the watch equivalent of an above-ground pool.

There is wrong and then there is this.
Fall92
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

So is this a general consensus?

Rolex
Omega/Breitling.
Tudor
Oris/Longines
Tag

There are several Christopher Wards I would pick over Tags.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Fall92 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Rolex
Omega/Breitling.
Tudor
Oris/Longines
Tag

There are several Christopher Wards I would pick over Tags.

What is a step up from Rolex?
nealan
JLC, AP, Vacheron Constantin, PATEK ! To name a few
Diggity
AG
Don't forget Apple.

Their 6 is a work of art. Perpetual calendar & Siri.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Is IWC in that group?
Fall92
AG
I'd also rather have a Cartier or even a Baume & Mercier over Tag.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Farmer1906
AG
Nope!
Diggity
AG
Knew I would ruffle a few feathers
nealan
No, but FP Journe and A Lange are
schmendeler
AG
I would almost put those two a step and a half or two steps above.
schmendeler
AG
Got a new watch. Wife got me an anniversary present.

Edit to add lume shot and caseback.

Fall92
AG
They're great watches. I bought my FIL a CW C3 Grand Tourer for his retirement and he loves it.
SPF250
AG
Slightly off topic. What do you think about those quick release spring bars on your CW strap?
schmendeler
AG
I think they are fine. Seem pretty much like any other quick release spring bars I've used before.
nealan
They're up there for sure !
captkirk
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Is IWC in that group?
No
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Rolex
Omega/Breitling.
Tudor
Oris/Longines
Tag

No

It's highly dependent on the individual watch.

If we're just ranking those7 I would have Rolex 1, Tudor 2, and the rest all close together. I particularly don't care for Breitling.
Agree, except some of the Breitling Chronos are really nice.

I'm to Omega like you are Breitling.

Rolex
Tudor
Breitling / Omega

Tags are way to expensive for what they are. I mean in ladies watches they are almost the same prices as a Tudor.
nealan
Which one of you guys got a decent discount on a new Omega recently? I'd like to know more about that !
SPF250
AG
I got 20% off a Seamaster a few months ago at my local AD on the east coast. Another poster got a larger discount from some place on the west coast.
nealan
Ok thanks . I'll search the thread
BoDog
AG
nealan, where are you located?
nealan
Longview area
BoDog
AG
Call Steve at Timeless Watches in Plano and ask what he can do. Im confident he will go 20-30% depending on the watch.
nealan
Thanks Bo
RP
AG
Just discovered this thread and I'm looking to buy my first Rolex. I've read through a good chunk of the thread and about 10 pages ago, a poster was asking about buying an Explorer 1 (39mm) around Austin. The advice from this board was that you could get this watch at MSRP from an AD in about 60-120 days. This was before Rolex announced that they are releasing the 36mm version (again). Seems like fans of the Explorer 1 are happy about the 36mm version coming back.

Would it still be reasonable to assume that I could go to an Austin AD with no purchase history and get the new 36mm at MSRP in about 60-120 days?

Y'all mention discounts of around 20% are reasonable for some Omegas. Would this apply to Rolex too or should I anticipate paying exactly what's on the Rolex website, or even more than MSRP at the AD?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm trying to avoid looking like a clueless idiot at the AD.
Ag MD 84
AG
I'm the guy who wanted to get an Explorer. Never came close. I was working with an AD in San Antonio and told them although I most wanted the Explorer, I would also be interested in a 41 mm DateJust (smooth bezel, stainless oyster bracelet) in either blue or black. I got two calls for DateJusts, one with roman numerals and one with a slate dial and I passed on each. I was in Charleston this past weekend and bought a Tudor (41 mm Black Bay Heritage) instead. I got tired of waiting for a Rolex and I didn't want to pay the gray market mark-up. Forget about any kind of discount on a Rolex---dealers sell them for msrp, but the high demand watches go to their VIP customers. If you really want a Rolex, be prepared to pay at least several grand over msrp (gray market) or wait (for how long I don't know, like I said, I got tired of waiting).
RP
AG
Thanks Ag MD 84. Man, that really turns me off of Rolex. I know Tudor is tied to Rolex (or owned by them?). Would Tudor be the same way and I'd have to play stupid games and jump through hoops just to buy a watch? Sound like you didn't have to wait, but I don't know if getting it from SC had anything to do with that.
JSKolache
AG
https://davidsw.com/product-category/watch/rolex/explorer-i/

Look into preowned if you havent already. Folks are flipping high end watches constantly, so they are fairly easy to find in great condition. And if you take care of your stuff they won't depreciate, so you can flip in a year or two if you change your mind and very likely break even or more.
Ag MD 84
AG
RP said:

Thanks Ag MD 84. Man, that really turns me off of Rolex. I know Tudor is tied to Rolex (or owned by them?). Would Tudor be the same way and I'd have to play stupid games and jump through hoops just to buy a watch? Sound like you didn't have to wait, but I don't know if getting it from SC had anything to do with that.
I started off just looking at Rolex. I thought I really wanted the Explorer, but began considering other Rolex options. It seems that all their stainless watches are hard to come by. I began looking at some other brands, especially Tudor (owned by same company as Rolex) and Omega. I was in Charleston for my birthday and could try on a lot of Tudors and Omegas and look at a few Rolexes (but they didn't have anything I wanted to buy, no surprise there). I decided to buy the Tudor as it checked off most of my boxes and I could wear it home. I bought it on Friday and took it back on Saturday so they could ship to me in Texas and save me the 9% SC sales tax. I paid msrp and maybe could've gotten a better price if I had shopped around, but I was tired of waiting and was happy with the watch and felt good about saving on the sales tax.
AgLA06
AG
Ag MD 84 said:

RP said:

I started off just looking at Rolex. I thought I really wanted the Explorer, but began considering other Rolex options. It seems that all their stainless watches are hard to come by. I began looking at some other brands, especially Tudor (owned by same company as Rolex) and Omega. I was in Charleston for my birthday and could try on a lot of Tudors and Omegas and look at a few Rolexes (but they didn't have anything I wanted to buy, no surprise there). I decided to buy the Tudor as it checked off most of my boxes and I could wear it home. I bought it on Friday and took it back on Saturday so they could ship to me in Texas and save me the 9% SC sales tax. I paid msrp and maybe could've gotten a better price if I had shopped around, but I was tired of waiting and was happy with the watch and felt good about saving on the sales tax.
I'm guessing about 60% of the cost of the Rolex?
Ag MD 84
AG
AgLA06 said:

Ag MD 84 said:

RP said:

The Tudor I bought had a msrp of $3050. I asked about a discount and they could discount Omegas, but I was more interested in the Tudor. The current msrp on Rolexes (if you can get one): 41 mm OP are almost $6k, Exp 1 is $6.5k and 41 mm DJ (smooth bezel, oyster bracelet) is approx $8k. Gray market prices can add a couple grand (or more).
AgLA06
AG
Ag MD 84 said:

AgLA06 said:

Ag MD 84 said:

RP said:

The Tudor I bought had a msrp of $3050. I asked about a discount and they could discount Omegas, but I was more interested in the Tudor. The current msrp on Rolexes (if you can get one): 41 mm OP are almost $6k, Exp 1 is $6.5k and 41 mm DJ (smooth bezel, oyster bracelet) is approx $8k. Gray market prices can add a couple grand (or more).
That's what I figured. I have a blue Rolex Submariner Date. I'd really like to get a matching watch in black. My options are basically

• MSRP is $10K according to Rolex for the matching 41mm Rolex Submariner Date in black.
  • MSRP $5K I can get a Tudor 41mm Black Bay Chrono.
  • MSRP $5K Breitling Superocean Heritage B20 Automatic 42MM

Just isn't making sense to buy the Rolex unless you have money to burn to flaunt a watch. The Breitling looks almost identical to the Rolex except for the strap. Although not the same, I actually like the styling better of the Tudor.

I'm hoping to have the cash set aside by the end of the year. I'm leaning Tudor just for availability and value. Especially since I should be inheriting a blue Breitling chrono that is beautiful from my grandfather.
BBRex
AG
I'm sure it depends on the watch, but when I asked my AD for a best price on the Tudor Black Bay 36, they pretty much knocked off about 10% without any fuss. Just something to think about.
First Page Last Page
Page 94 of 392

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.