Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,496,109 Views | 13672 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Serotonin
FTAC2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RP said:

Just discovered this thread and I'm looking to buy my first Rolex. I've read through a good chunk of the thread and about 10 pages ago, a poster was asking about buying an Explorer 1 (39mm) around Austin. The advice from this board was that you could get this watch at MSRP from an AD in about 60-120 days. This was before Rolex announced that they are releasing the 36mm version (again). Seems like fans of the Explorer 1 are happy about the 36mm version coming back.

Would it still be reasonable to assume that I could go to an Austin AD with no purchase history and get the new 36mm at MSRP in about 60-120 days?

Y'all mention discounts of around 20% are reasonable for some Omegas. Would this apply to Rolex too or should I anticipate paying exactly what's on the Rolex website, or even more than MSRP at the AD?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm trying to avoid looking like a clueless idiot at the AD.

Hey there. id say the odds are extremely low you get one in that amount of time.
Biz Ag
AG
tandy miller
AG
FTAC2011 said:

RP said:

Just discovered this thread and I'm looking to buy my first Rolex. I've read through a good chunk of the thread and about 10 pages ago, a poster was asking about buying an Explorer 1 (39mm) around Austin. The advice from this board was that you could get this watch at MSRP from an AD in about 60-120 days. This was before Rolex announced that they are releasing the 36mm version (again). Seems like fans of the Explorer 1 are happy about the 36mm version coming back.

Would it still be reasonable to assume that I could go to an Austin AD with no purchase history and get the new 36mm at MSRP in about 60-120 days?

Y'all mention discounts of around 20% are reasonable for some Omegas. Would this apply to Rolex too or should I anticipate paying exactly what's on the Rolex website, or even more than MSRP at the AD?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm trying to avoid looking like a clueless idiot at the AD.

Hey there. id say the odds are extremely low you get one in that amount of time.
When I bought my Datejust in 2014 from IW Marks, I paid cash and paid MSRP. They discounted it by the amount of sales tax, so i saved 8.25%

However, supply/demand was much different then. I'd be surprised if that were the case now
FJB
nealan
You have a Blue Submariner? Smurf or new model? Or 2 tone blue?
RP
AG
Thanks for answering my questions. I think I'll look towards Omega.
tandy miller
AG
Good luck even finding a Rolex right now. Ive been in 2 shops the last week and there were <10 watches between the 2 stores. Mostly 31mm dj and cellini (sp?)
FJB
AgLA06
AG
Purchased in 2006 before a wife, kids, or a mortgage.

BBRex
AG
I saw a guy on Saturday buy what I'm pretty sure was a rose gold Sky Dweller. He was talking about the Daytona he had at home. Dude and his woman drove off in a Honda Pilot. Priorities.
tandy miller
AG
BBRex said:

I saw a guy on Saturday buy what I'm pretty sure was a rose gold Sky Dweller. He was talking about the Daytona he had at home. Dude and his woman drove off in a Honda Pilot. Priorities
Honestly the pilot will probably depreciate faster
FJB
BBRex
AG
Definitely. But it's not every day you see somebody who buys a watch that's worth more than their car.
nealan
That's a classic! Love it
nealan
Here's mine
Guitarsoup
AG
BBRex said:

Definitely. But it's not every day you see somebody who buys a watch that's worth more than their car.

Until last year, my watches with worth more than my cars
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

BBRex said:

Why do you have multiple cars?
Guitarsoup
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Guitarsoup said:

BBRex said:

I like cars.
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Farmer1906 said:

Guitarsoup said:

BBRex said:

I like cars.

Whatcha got?
Guitarsoup
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Farmer1906 said:

Guitarsoup said:

BBRex said:

I like cars.

Whatcha got?
Currently:
Equus (currently for sale) V8 400hp, RWD luxuryish sedan [previous daily driver]
Dieselgate Wagon (for sale soon) [photography business car, longer commutes+gear]
Lolvo XC90 [was my grandmothers, dad inherited, but never retitled it because it was not in her will, and no one knows where the title is. Now I'm stuck with it, since he died]
Miata [Fun car, if it had a real engine, had planned on a V8 swap, but won't get around to it]
Harley Sportster 1200
Plug-in Hybrid Pacifica Minivan [Wife's daily/family car]
Model 3 [Current daily driver]
Farmer1906
AG
That is a very unique collection.
Guitarsoup
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That is a very unique collection.
That's putting it nicely.

I'm better at buying than selling.
FTAC2011
AG
BBRex said:

My car cost me $4,000. My only car that I drive every day. I won't say how much my watches cost haha
JSKolache
AG
AgLA06 said:

Ag MD 84 said:

AgLA06 said:

Ag MD 84 said:

RP said:

Thanks Ag MD 84. Man, that really turns me off of Rolex. I know Tudor is tied to Rolex (or owned by them?). Would Tudor be the same way and I'd have to play stupid games and jump through hoops just to buy a watch? Sound like you didn't have to wait, but I don't know if getting it from SC had anything to do with that.
I started off just looking at Rolex. I thought I really wanted the Explorer, but began considering other Rolex options. It seems that all their stainless watches are hard to come by. I began looking at some other brands, especially Tudor (owned by same company as Rolex) and Omega. I was in Charleston for my birthday and could try on a lot of Tudors and Omegas and look at a few Rolexes (but they didn't have anything I wanted to buy, no surprise there). I decided to buy the Tudor as it checked off most of my boxes and I could wear it home. I bought it on Friday and took it back on Saturday so they could ship to me in Texas and save me the 9% SC sales tax. I paid msrp and maybe could've gotten a better price if I had shopped around, but I was tired of waiting and was happy with the watch and felt good about saving on the sales tax.
I'm guessing about 60% of the cost of the Rolex?
The Tudor I bought had a msrp of $3050. I asked about a discount and they could discount Omegas, but I was more interested in the Tudor. The current msrp on Rolexes (if you can get one): 41 mm OP are almost $6k, Exp 1 is $6.5k and 41 mm DJ (smooth bezel, oyster bracelet) is approx $8k. Gray market prices can add a couple grand (or more).
That's what I figured. I have a blue Rolex Submariner Date. I'd really like to get a matching watch in black. My options are basically

• MSRP is $10K according to Rolex for the matching 41mm Rolex Submariner Date in black.
  • MSRP $5K I can get a Tudor 41mm Black Bay Chrono.
  • MSRP $5K Breitling Superocean Heritage B20 Automatic 42MM

Just isn't making sense to buy the Rolex unless you have money to burn to flaunt a watch. The Breitling looks almost identical to the Rolex except for the strap. Although not the same, I actually like the styling better of the Tudor.

I'm hoping to have the cash set aside by the end of the year. I'm leaning Tudor just for availability and value. Especially since I should be inheriting a blue Breitling chrono that is beautiful from my grandfather.
I want a Superocean Heritage on that mesh. Mesh is an itch i gotta scratch...
AgLA06
AG
My head says I should get the Superocean Heritage II date in black to match my Submariner date.

My heart flutters when I see the Superocean Heritage II Chronograph. I just have a lust for chronos I can't shake.

FtBendTxAg
AG
The super ocean heritage is so damn nice.

And relatively affordable for how nice it is.
BoDog
AG
There is a reason for that...... its a Breitling.
BBRex
AG
So the Superocean Heritage II has essentially a Tudor movement, and the Tudor Heritage Chrono is sporting that Superocean Heritage II Chrono movement. Just FYI.
AgLA06
AG
BBRex said:

So the Superocean Heritage II has essentially a Tudor movement, and the Tudor Heritage Chrono is sporting that Superocean Heritage II Chrono movement. Just FYI.
What?

Are you saying

The Breitling SuperOcean Heritage II (non-chrono) has a Tudor movement
and
The Tudor Heritage Chrono has a Breitling movement?
schmendeler
AG
i THINK he's saying they have the same movement. probably an ETA?
Guitarsoup
AG
AgLA06 said:

BBRex said:

What?

Are you saying

The Breitling SuperOcean Heritage II (non-chrono) has a Tudor movement
and
The Tudor Heritage Chrono has a Breitling movement?
https://www.watchtime.com/featured/breitling-superocean-heritage-2-ii-tudor-review/
AgLA06
AG
Nope, I guess he's right.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/breitling-superocean-heritage-2-ii-tudor-review/

Tudor is now using a Breitling movement for their Chronos
and
Breitling is now using a Tudor movement on new watches.

I guess that cements Tudors and Breitlings in the same tier of watches.
schmendeler
AG
that's interesting.
JSKolache
AG
Similar to how GM & Ford co-developed the 10-spd auto transmission. Safety in numbers/guaranteed customer base.
BBRex
AG
Apparently movement sharing isn't too unusual, but all the parties involved (unless you're talking ETA or Sellita) usually try to keep it under wraps. Making an announcement about a deal like that is unusual.

And I don't know if that will go across all lines or just a few. This also might just give each one some time to make an in-house movement of the kind they're borrowing now.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Sellita is a knockoff ETA, Right? I've been looking at a Farer and they changed from eta to a different movement, I think sellita.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Sellita used to manufacture ETAs movements and moved on for whatever reason, and they manufacture old tried and true ETA movements from expired patents. So yeah, essentially knock off ETAs in a way, but since they used to make ETA's movements they know what they're doing.

Oris, Farer, Sinn, Baume, MontBlanc and other nice watch makers use Sellita movements
BBRex
AG
This will help clear up why you're seeing more Sellita movements. In short, the desire for competition in the market by regulators. Yeah, Sellita is selling essentially an ETA clone.

Quote:

In short, can Sellita really compete with ETA once the Swiss market for mechanical watch movements becomes free?

For the Swatch Group, the answer is bloody obvious. "In 2019 Sellita produced and supplied 1 million mechanical movements (roughly twice as many as ETA), making it the new market leader in this sector," Swatch said in its Dec. 18 statement. "The market for mechanical movements in Switzerland has changed fundamentally. ETA is no longer the market leader."

COMCO is not so sure. It takes a wider view. Sellita may sell twice as many mechanical movements as ETA to third parties. But ETA remains Switzerland's top producer of mechanical movements by far, making six times as many as Sellita.

ETA produces an estimated 6 million mechanical movements annually, 5.5 million of which go to its 18 sister brands in the Swatch Group. The other 500,000 are sold to firms outside the group. What's more, Sellita made its mark as an ETA imitator, cloning the ETA 2824 and 2892 movements. Is the ETA imitator really ready to compete head-to-head with ETA itself once COMCO deregulates the market?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/swatch-group-comco-analysis
First Page Last Page
Page 95 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.