Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,493,109 Views | 13658 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by RVAg02
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tudor is going to sell the hell out of that Chrono.
schmendeler
AG
the silver intrigues me, don't see many silver watches.

am i the only one that thinks the gold diver looks like bronze?
Diggity
AG
Silver screams "dress watch" to me, which is why you wouldn't expect to see it on a diver very often.

I guess if you're going for some sort of hybrid.
schmendeler
AG
i get that. but i just meant that i don't see many silver watches, period. if i'm wrong, feel free to link to some, i'd love to look at them.
Diggity
AG
Look up Cartier, mont blanc, Bvlgari, etc
schmendeler
AG
thanks for the suggestions.

when i search silver watch, it's either coming up with vintage watches (like really old) or silver dials. not a silver case.

i don't think it helps that "silver" is a color that google seems to think is also stainless steel.
Diggity
AG
gotcha...I was confused by what you were talking about as well. You're looking for a sterling silver watch?

maybe James Avery?

schmendeler
AG
Diggity said:

gotcha...I was confused by what you were talking about as well. You're looking for a sterling silver watch?

maybe James Avery?

i like the idea of a silver watch, which is why i remarked on the tudor watch in the video. it's a sterling silver watch. like i said, you don't see many silver watches.
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
yeah, that was my mistake....I didn't watch the whole video

seems like a gimmick honestly. They're probably adding some sort of plating to keep it from tarnishing, which can wear off.

Seems like there's a reason most moved to SS.
schmendeler
AG
gotcha.
schmendeler
AG
Diggity said:

yeah, that was my mistake....I didn't watch the whole video

seems like a gimmick honestly. They're probably adding some sort of plating to keep it from tarnishing, which can wear off.

Seems like there's a reason most moved to SS.
i thought this was interesting. sounds like there have been some alloys over the past century that reduce tarnishing. knowing rolex's talent at proprietary alloys, maybe they've come up with something good. in any case, i like the idea of something different, new. if there is some tarnish over time, it can be cleaned.

https://theassayoffice.com/tarnish_resistant_labexpert
Quote:

Many approaches have been taken to adjust the composition of silver alloys to make them more tarnish resistant, while retaining the physical properties of malleability and durability required for jewellery manufacture.
In 1912 pioneering work was being carried out by Mr Harold Turner of Messrs William Turner & Company the well-known gold and silver refiner of Sheffield. In 1922, this firm placed upon the market, under the name of 'Silanca', the first tarnish resisting sterling silver ever produced, but for certain commercial reasons and difficulties connected with its manufacture, Silanca was not taken into use.
In 1988 an alloy was patented in America, which requires the additions to silver-copper, silver-gold and silver-copper-gold alloys of at least one element of the following: chromium, tantalum, aluminium, titanium, or thorium, where the added amounts of these elements does not exceed 1.5 per cent weight as a substitute for silver. These elements were found to form a thin oxide layer, which was stable and did not affect the properties of the silver-based alloy. The elements were found to be self-healing, forming a layer of oxide and also reacting preferentially with sulphur to form sulphides, rather than formation of silver sulphide. In this way, tarnish resistance was improved.
Further patents followed; US Patent 5,039,479 describes the usefulness of the additions of silicon, boron and tin to an alloy. The preferred composition is 1.85 per cent zinc, 0.05 per cent indium, four per cent tin, 1.44 per cent copper, 0.01 per cent boron, and 0.05 per cent silicon. The composition described is sufficiently pure in silver to qualify as sterling silver. A similar approach is taken by US Patent 5,882,441, which describes a tarnish-resistant 4.5 per cent zinc, 2.9 per cent copper, 0.1 per cent sulphur alloy.
The addition of more noble elements (ie other precious metals) increases the cost of sterling silver, but is highly effective. US Patent 5,037,708 describes an alloy containing five per cent palladium, two per cent copper and 0.5 per cent indium or zinc. In this alloy some of the copper has been replaced by palladium to enhance tarnish resistance and corrosion resistance, and also to improve colour stability.
The addition of germanium to sterling silver is also noted to reduce tarnishing and fire stain. This alloy is a cadmium-free alternative to the two and four per cent cadmium bearing grades that have been used in the past. A similar composition was claimed by a German refiner in 1992. This refiner's alloy contained between 0.5 and three per cent germanium, the balance of copper to give 7.5 per cent alloy addition and 92.5 per cent silver to give sterling silver.
Quantitative research by Assay Office Birmingham has shown that many of these alloys are more tarnish resistant than traditional silver copper alloys. However, to date no one has come up with a guaranteed completely tarnish-resistant silver alloy suitable for jewellery. The researchers continue to apply their knowledge of science to fight against nature.
schmendeler
AG
on their instagram, someone asked about patina. this was their reply:

Quote:

Our unique Silver alloy meets the same quality standards as all our watch cases. The material is very stable and will only change in appearance minimally.
schmendeler
AG
This is kind of amazing:

https://instagr.am/p/CNWi6YXF7xE
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
granted
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
video

https://instagr.am/p/CNW-CSLCK6w
FHKChE07
AG
It has an chime too? That is a pretty sweet watch.
schmendeler
AG
that was my thought
FHKChE07
AG
1.35 million euros... Jesus...
schmendeler
AG
i was expecting at least 6 figures. i guess i was a bit naive.
RVAg02
AG
ho

lee

chit
Diggity
AG
local watch broker types...any idea what kind of discounts I could expect on one of the more "typical" IWC watches....like the Port Chrono?
JSKolache
AG
schmendeler said:

the silver intrigues me, don't see many silver watches.

am i the only one that thinks the gold diver looks like bronze?
Brushed silver & brushed gold -- both alloyed with aluminum. Interesting looks, time will tell. I like em both, but I like date windows more...
schmendeler
AG
Normally I don't mind date windows, but these look so sharp without.
BoDog
AG
Diggity, probably atleast 20% (maybe a bit more). I know a Dallas contact. Call Timeless Luxury Watches in Plano and ask to speak with Steve.
Diggity
AG
Thanks.

I was thinking of an AD outside of Texas to avoid those pesky taxes.
Daytona22
AG
Bought an Ingenieur at Belluso in Vegas if you're looking for a spot out of Texas. Been a while back so my contact doesn't work there anymore unfortunately.
tandy miller
AG
Thoughts on tudors? About to pull the trigger on a black bay till o get Yachtmaster money

FJB
Post removed:
by user
RVAg02
AG
Just bought a Black Bay 58 (see above) to go with a couple Rolexes.

Love it so far. Very comfortable and thinner than the regular Black Bay.

tandy miller
AG
FJB
RVAg02
AG
you weren't kidding!

Good looking watch! Congrats.
schmendeler
AG
looks much better on the wrist than the display case.
First Page Last Page
Page 92 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.