Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,459,973 Views | 13506 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by schmendeler
AlaskanAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FalconAg06 said:

AlaskanAg08 said:

I guess I have a dumb question- but I'll go ahead and ask it. Wife and I are wanting to each get a Rolex for our 40th in a few years. I want to buy a new Pepsi GMT and she wants a Datejust, is there a dealer in Houston who will actually put me on a list in hopes of it working out in 4 years? People keep telling me that it will take at least 4 years to get the GMT from an AD.

My friend, I have probably spent $400,000 on watches over the last 4 years and I have been on a wait list for the pepsi gmt for that entire time.

In short, no. They have no reason to give you one. It will sell for MSRP and they will give it to a whale customer

That says so much about the state of the Rolex watch world right now. I hope you get yours soon and that Rolex attempts to push back the gray market and actually meet demand of their products! I'll switch to strategy #2 then... I know a few people who have found subs and GMTs in the display cases of European and Middle East airports in the last few months. I'll start planning my trips through airports with Rolex AD's for all of my Europe/ME/Africa travel that should hopefully start again soon.
FalconAg06
My AD has 9 watches in the case, 4 are lady watches and 3 are cellini's that I have literally never seen in public.

He did send this pic in tho. I already have a skydweller but wouldn't even be interested if I didn't. Pushing $45k for a watch with a rubber bracelet is tough. I love my yachtmaster 42mm on rubber, but that was $17k less
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Wife replied. Apparently I've lost my fking mind. Carry on.
schmendeler
AG
fluted bezel is best bezel
FalconAg06
No doubt, but the prices are getting a bit outlandish
schmendeler
AG
i'm not even in the zip code of the ballpark for being in the market for that, but it's sharp!
BoDog
AG
Assuming that is the newer movement, FTAs price on the Yahtmaster is really good. I bought mine new on the gray market for $14k. I really love it but it doesn't really have a solid following-probably because a Sub does everything it does and is more recognizable.

I like the idea of traveling to foreign locales. Maybe you could score on a few Caribbean islands? Has anyone had any luck at any of the two dozen watch shops in Vegas?

Bottom line, unless you are one of these "whales" the cards are stacked against you. In October I was in Bachendorfs in Dallas and pulled the lady aside (Heidi was here name) and in no uncertain terms I offered to buy two of their last remaining Day/Dates (around $36k) if she would put me on speed dial. She just kind of smiled and literally said "we have some really nice Omegas." I appreciate her honesty but knew right then my fate was destined for the gray market.
schmendeler
AG
So maybe dumb question, but are there really any good deals to be had for high end watches at those Caribbean watch stores? I always assumed not.
BoDog
AG
Not sure what you mean by a "good deal," but if it is a Rolex AD, then it will be sold for MSRP. You can find those prices on the Rolex website.
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
Yeah I meant something under MSRP. Where are the "savings" they try to tell you about?
BoDog
AG
Yeah, that's fantasy land, Bro. That scenario doesn't exist.
BoDog
AG
Hell, getting a high demand piece from an AD is almost akin to winning the lottery.
BoDog
AG
Third Coast, if you could get me a new 41mm Sub, I would gladly offer you a "finders fee."
Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
Is there some sort of sales tax savings? Or does customs hit you with that when you try to bring it in anyway?
Guitarsoup
AG
schmendeler said:

Is there some sort of sales tax savings? Or does customs hit you with that when you try to bring it in anyway?

Depends if you declare it to customs
BoDog
AG
Yes, sometimes things like declarations just slip my mind...
FalconAg06
Everywhere is dry right now. Georgetown, Dubai, Panama City. Granted this is all before Covid, but i didn't see anything decent at any of the places.

This is why I have so many gold watches, that's pretty much all you can get right now. Every AD I have been at has lady's watches, cellini's and gold watches.
schmendeler
AG
Gosh my memory sometimes!
RVAg02
AG
AlaskanAg08 said:

FalconAg06 said:

AlaskanAg08 said:

I guess I have a dumb question- but I'll go ahead and ask it. Wife and I are wanting to each get a Rolex for our 40th in a few years. I want to buy a new Pepsi GMT and she wants a Datejust, is there a dealer in Houston who will actually put me on a list in hopes of it working out in 4 years? People keep telling me that it will take at least 4 years to get the GMT from an AD.

My friend, I have probably spent $400,000 on watches over the last 4 years and I have been on a wait list for the pepsi gmt for that entire time.

In short, no. They have no reason to give you one. It will sell for MSRP and they will give it to a whale customer

That says so much about the state of the Rolex watch world right now. I hope you get yours soon and that Rolex attempts to push back the gray market and actually meet demand of their products! I'll switch to strategy #2 then... I know a few people who have found subs and GMTs in the display cases of European and Middle East airports in the last few months. I'll start planning my trips through airports with Rolex AD's for all of my Europe/ME/Africa travel that should hopefully start again soon.

After going back through this thread, I've decided that AlaskanAg and I have the exact same taste in watches. Ha ha.
Ag MD 84
AG
I discovered this thread yesterday; since I live in the Hill Country, I don't spend my time on the Houston forum. I have had a Tag Heuer 6000 (stainless/gold) for 25 years and I've now decided I want to get a Rolex. I figured I'm not going to inherit one and if I'm going to pay for it, I might as well get the one I want. I would like to get an Explorer 1---any advice? It may take me awhile to read through the 85 pages on this thread. Thanks.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
If you want to pay MSRP I'd drive into an AD in Austin or San Antonio and tell them you want one. I bet you could probably have this model within 60-90 days.

If you want it tomorrow, I'd buy it off the gray market and pay the premium.
BoDog
AG
Kurt is spot on, although 90-120 may be more realistic. Its a solid watch (39mm) but not in super high demand. Are you certain you would rather have that than a Sub or a Datejust 41?

Sub is iconic and timeless! A steel black dial datejust 41 with on a jubilee bracelet is tough to beat. In fact with a smooth bezel will set you back about the same as the Explorer. Fluted bezel will probably cost you about a grand more but I think its worth it. Regardless you want to look at it 5 years from now and really like it as much as the day you first put it on.
RVAg02
AG
fluted bezel FTW when it comes to hiding dings/scratches.
MarathonAg12
I just picked up a Garmin Tactix Delta. I'm blown away.

It's has everything you need in life. And yes I'm in the Army so I will actually be utilizing quite a bit of the features.

Just thought I'd diversify the forum a little. I am looking at getting a Rolex at a certain milestone in my life. Love seeing what you guys have.
FTAC2011
AG
Ag MD 84 said:

I discovered this thread yesterday; since I live in the Hill Country, I don't spend my time on the Houston forum. I have had a Tag Heuer 6000 (stainless/gold) for 25 years and I've now decided I want to get a Rolex. I figured I'm not going to inherit one and if I'm going to pay for it, I might as well get the one I want. I would like to get an Explorer 1---any advice? It may take me awhile to read through the 85 pages on this thread. Thanks.

Excellent choice. Here's mine yesterday in college station
Farmer1906
AG
Looks like you dropped it in the snow. You should be more careful next time.
schmendeler
AG
FTAC2011 said:

Ag MD 84 said:

i like that rubber strap. might be the best looking combo of an explorer. usually i see it on NATOs which is fine, but that looks nice.
Guitarsoup
AG
schmendeler said:

FTAC2011 said:

Ag MD 84 said:

i like that rubber strap. might be the best looking combo of an explorer. usually i see it on NATOs which is fine, but that looks nice.
Agree. I really like the look of the explorer. That watch has grown on me more than anything the last year.

I just don't need any watches.
FalconAg06
Very clean look. Appears that new are going for around 33% over MSRP on the secondary market and even a lightly used one will cost you over new MSRP.

I have the 216570 exp II white dial with the 24 hour engraved bezel, and really like how this version went with the smooth version.
AlaskanAg08
AG
RVAg02 said:

AlaskanAg08 said:

FalconAg06 said:

AlaskanAg08 said:

After going back through this thread, I've decided that AlaskanAg and I have the exact same taste in watches. Ha ha.
LOL! So true!

So if I find an AD in an airport overseas with GMT's I should buy 2 and you would take the other one at MSRP?

I told my wife about my airport/overseas plan today. I am totally planning my upcoming Europe trips to maximize the number of Rolex AD's I can visit. Needless to say, she looked at me like I was nuts.
Post removed:
by user
FTAC2011
AG
AlaskanAg08 said:

RVAg02 said:

AlaskanAg08 said:

FalconAg06 said:

AlaskanAg08 said:

LOL! So true!

So if I find an AD in an airport overseas with GMT's I should buy 2 and you would take the other one at MSRP?

I told my wife about my airport/overseas plan today. I am totally planning my upcoming Europe trips to maximize the number of Rolex AD's I can visit. Needless to say, she looked at me like I was nuts.

But 10 GMTs and I'll pay you over MSRP for all 10

I think it's going to be harder than you think though
RVAg02
AG
AlaskanAg08 said:

RVAg02 said:

AlaskanAg08 said:

FalconAg06 said:

AlaskanAg08 said:

LOL! So true!

Don't listen to third coast! Sounds like a great idea!

Or FTAC! Ha ha.

But seriously. Buy as many as you can and you'll be able to sell them all here. I'll take one Pepsi please.
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 386

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.