Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,499,745 Views | 13684 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ChemAg15
FalconAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
third coast.. said:

You sound like you are dumping all over AP, including a watch that you admittedly own. I'm asking why you bought it

Ah, I thought you said where. I'm not dumping over AP, I'm dumping over the new code 11:59 rollout, and this new 33mm quartz.

Guitarsoup
AG
I picked up the McQueen Heuer Monaco this summer (stock image here)

Still daily my trusty old Planet Ocean on Nato strap, though.
schmendeler
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I picked up the McQueen Heuer Monaco this summer (stock image here)

Still daily my trusty old Planet Ocean on Nato strap, though.
Very sharp!
Farmer1906
AG
That's an interesting one. I had a black one.

FalconAg06
A new modern classic, thanks to Breaking Bad

TulaneAg
The McQueen Monaco is the only Tag I've ever really wanted but it's looking bigger and bigger lately. Have they up-sized it recently or have they always been that size?
Farmer1906
AG
IDK if it's changed since it was released, but its been 39 for a while. While 39 isn't big for some, 39 square is much larger than 39 round. Plus it's pretty thick. One of the reasons I didn't keep mine.
Diggity
AG
yeah, I've tried them on before and it looks like a large block on my wrist. Maybe I would have gotten used to it.
FHKChE07
AG
I have a Gulf Monaco and it is hefty but you get used to it pretty well. It isn't that bad but I have had mine for close to 15 years.
FalconAg06
I have seen very very few people who can pull off a squarish watch.

It seems to need 3/4 sleeves and fairly slim wrist with tapered forearms. One pic looks decent, the other; horrible

TulaneAg
yeah, those are a little too baller for me...if I'm gonna do square or non-round then maybe a Cartier Tank or a Santos in a more reasonable size.
Farmer1906
AG
TulaneAg said:

yeah, those are a little too baller for me...if I'm gonna do square or non-round then maybe a Cartier Tank or a Santos in a more reasonable size.
Reverso

TulaneAg
Forgot about the Reverso...that should be in the running as well. Good call. I'm not sure I'd actually pull the trigger, but I fell in love with the red-faced Reverso (on black band) the first time I saw it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Anybody test drove the cartier extra flat steel? How'd it wear? Need to get my hands on one.
JSKolache
AG
schmendeler said:

Farmer1906 said:

schmendeler said:

third coast.. said:

Going to my AD tomorrow to get on the list for that black and green sub
It's called the Kermit

Kermit is the lighter green that was discontinued ~10 years ago right before they introduced the Hulk.
Dark Kermit
Cermit
FalconAg06
Just got the email from DavidSW that he got one in. Just have to fork over an additional 170% over MSRP
schmendeler
AG
FalconAg06 said:

Just got the email from DavidSW that he got one in. Just have to fork over an additional 170% over MSRP

you can get a much cooler watch for that kind of money.
FalconAg06
Yeah I might buy it for $12, but not for 27+
Daytona22
AG
This the one you were on a waitlist for???

Debating trading my sub in on the newer model. Have a place who said they'd let me buy for msrp... tempting
Post removed:
by user
FalconAg06
Daytona22 said:

This the one you were on a waitlist for???

Debating trading my sub in on the newer model. Have a place who said they'd let me buy for msrp... tempting

Yes, DavidSW obviously got sold one from someone else on a waitlist who got theirs and is cashing in. I'll have to wait until my AD gets one so I can pay $9950 instead of $27k

Also, AD's aren't allowed to sell for over MSRP, hence the wildly inflated prices in the secondary market. You get lucky enough to get one of those you can flip it for a quick $13-14k profit
LGBFJB
AG
Need some help from the experts here...

I am not a very knowledgeable watch guy. I have a Tag that I've worn for many years and have been fine with it. However, my company is giving me a reward of $10k toward a luxury watch.

I would like to maximize what I can do with the money. I am not a collector so I really don't mind if I get something pre-owned as long as it is legit. I'm thinking a Rolex just because it's a Rolex.

What I would really like to do is get something nice for me, and have a little left to put towards something for my wife (maybe a watch or maybe other Jewlery).

How would you guys approach this, what advice do you have, and who would you recommend I get in touch with locally? Reputable people.

TIA
Guitarsoup
AG
All depends on what style do you like?
Gold/Two-tone/Stainless?
FalconAg06
Franklins said:

I am not a very knowledgeable watch guy. I have a Tag that I've worn for many years and have been fine with it. However, my company is giving me a reward of $10k toward a luxury watch.

I would like to maximize what I can do with the money. I am not a collector so I really don't mind if I get something pre-owned as long as it is legit. I'm thinking a Rolex just because it's a Rolex.

What I would really like to do is get something nice for me, and have a little left to put towards something for my wife (maybe a watch or maybe other Jewlery).

How would you guys approach this, what advice do you have, and who would you recommend I get in touch with locally? Reputable people.

TIA

I would to www.watchrecon.com and look through all the different watches that people are posting, as that will give you an easy way to look at a bunch of different watches.

A Rolex is going to be difficult as all the good ones are going for insane money, unless you like datejusts (which are a great watch), and can still be found allbeit sometimes not in the best color combos.

Omega is a great watch as well, and their new 42mm sea master is an awesome watch. And will cost less than 1/2 your bankroll
schmendeler
AG
Franklins said:

TIA

what types of watch do you like?

something "rugged"?

something that is really versatile?

something dressy?

something quirky?

something less common?

something that is a "classic"?

something that "everyone has", so you fit in?

maybe that will help you get recommendations.
LGBFJB
AG
Thanks guys. I will check out that site.

I'm not flashy so I would say something classic and versatile. This is a pic of my current watch. I wear it pretty much every day.

schmendeler
AG
Franklins said:

I'm not flashy so I would say something classic and versatile. This is a pic of my current watch. I wear it pretty much every day.

if you want something along those lines, a nice Rolex DateJust would be the equivalent, imo.
FalconAg06
WatchRecon.com is nothing more than an aggregator for all of the major watch listing sites. But, it's a good way to see a ton of thumbnails and search for whatever brand you want to see
Farmer1906
AG
schmendeler said:

Franklins said:

if you want something along those lines, a nice Rolex DateJust would be the equivalent, imo.
That was my first thought too.

It checks all the boxes.

Classic & Versatile
Rolex
Can be found pre-owned at a very reasonable price

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex/datejust-mens#/filter:custom_field_23:Mens
FalconAg06
Love the Wimbledon, guy at my club has one. Glows like you wouldnt believe
schmendeler
AG
not saying to get this particular item, but this is more or less the exact style datejust i'd like to have. it just looks classy and timeless to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Datejust-Steel-White-Gold-Fluted-Bezel-Vintage-Mens-Watch-16014-/274332920382?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
aTm2004
AG
Damn, one hell of a company.

Ok...$10k to spend on a watch and with something left over so you can keep the stinger wet...let's see...

I'd go with one of the following for me, depending on my intended purpose:
- Omega Planet Ocean or Tudor Black Bay (Red, Black, or Blue) if I wanted a sporty watch I could wear everyday to work, in the pool, on vacation, etc.
- Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch if I wanted a sporty watch that wasn't a diver and has a great legacy/following
- Omega Aqua Terra for a nice in-between watch that will go from a suit during the week to shorts and flipflops on the weekend and look great doing both
- IWC Portuguese or Portifino if I wanted something more formal or to wear for occasions where I'd need to wear something other than shorts and flip flops

If you wanted to go for a Rolex, $10k will limit you to a few models due to 1) the retail prices, 2) demand keeping the cases empty, and 3) people who buy multiple watches from and AD getting things held for them. A couple of Rolexes that are great watches but aren't seeing the demand of the Submariners, Daytonas, or GMTs that can be had for <$10k and you will see at an AD would be the Explorer and Explorer II. It's not that they're bad watches, it's they haven't had any major updates in the last few years that's driving up demand like the others. If I were in your shoes and wanted a Rolex, I'd look for the Explorer II as it's a great watch with a GMT feature that you can wear to the office during the week, then go diving with on the weekends.
Guitarsoup
AG
Franklins said:

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-116233.html

$7600.

You could barely get into a two-tone Yachtmaster for 10k.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-two-tone-yacht-master-16623.html

If you don't want two-tone, used Explorers are in the 7k range:
or

You could even get into a Sea Dweller for right at 10k. https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-deepsea-sea-dweller-116660-black-dial.html

Two-tone Sub: https://www.bobswatches.com/pre-owned-two-tone-rolex-submariner-16613.html

lb sand
AG
My dad has that watch that was given to him in 1969 as a college graduation present. He's replaced the bracelet probably once a decade. It's pretty much on his wrist unless he is sleeping or in for a tune up.
schmendeler
AG
Texicurean said:

My dad has that watch that was given to him in 1969 as a college graduation present. He's replaced the bracelet probably once a decade. It's pretty much on his wrist unless he is sleeping or in for a tune up.
very cool!

i want one of these, and then the day date on the president bracelet. to me it's like the quintessential rich old man watch. which is what i one day aspire to be.
First Page Last Page
Page 75 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.