Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,499,414 Views | 13684 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ChemAg15
FtBendTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really like that watch and the model with the day window at the top of the dial, and even like some of the super ocean heritages without all of the unnecessary flair, but overall they tend to be too big and busy for me. I totally see why breitling appeals to some people, just not me for the most part. And the funny thing is, as a kid they were the watch I was most enamored with at the jewelry stores windows.
schmendeler
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

I haven't chimed in on this thread since 2016, i was the guy somewhere on page 2-5 asking if Tissot was a good watch because I had received on as a gift. I think at the time I had 1 g shock, which I still have and love, but was completely ignorant about watches. Since then I entered the automatic game first with an SKX and a few auto seikos which I love, up to a Hamilton Khaki field handwind, up to a longines, and now onto an Omega Speedy I just procured. Used albeit, but it was a great deal. Not a grail watch by any means, but definitely the first watch that I'll wear everyday that I'll be "proud" of.

Things I've learned so far about my tastes in watches (strictly my opinions): Breitlings are ugly and overrated. Hublot are ugly and overrated. AP's are 100% not for me. The Royal oak does nothing for me.

True Grail Watch : Lange Datograph Flyback or perpetual (highly doubtful ill ever have the disposable to come close to obtaining either)

i agree about the royal oak, but AP does have some other models i like the looks of. you might dislike those as well, but if you haven't, give them a look before you write off the whole brand.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Dad wears a watch every day. It's a tag 38mm-ish quartz diver that he's had for 20 years, and it's beat. He says he wants a rolex. We've had a few conversations about some of the cool stuff that's out there, I've shown him sinn, jlc, glahshutte, etc and it sounds like he just wants a rolex. Mom wants to buy it for him, and says he's hard on his stuff, and wants to know what the most durable waterproof watch out there is. Based on all that, seems we need to find out if he wants date or not, then put feelers out at some ADs and snatch up a sub, right? Am I missing anything?
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Quote:

Am I missing anything?
Nope. You're spot on.
Exsurge Domine
PoopyPullup said:

Dad wears a watch every day. It's a tag 38mm-ish quartz diver that he's had for 20 years, and it's beat. He says he wants a rolex. We've had a few conversations about some of the cool stuff that's out there, I've shown him sinn, jlc, glahshutte, etc and it sounds like he just wants a rolex. Mom wants to buy it for him, and says he's hard on his stuff, and wants to know what the most durable waterproof watch out there is. Based on all that, seems we need to find out if he wants date or not, then put feelers out at some ADs and snatch up a sub, right? Am I missing anything?

Depending on his wrist size, the DSSD is a tank as well. Looks almost the same, except thicker and larger.
nealan
You're right on. But..... honestly, your chances of getting a Sub from an AD are very slim at this point. It may be possible , but that is a MAJOR needle in a haystack type of situation. You can find an unworn one on the gray market, but expect to pay $1,500 - $2,000 over retail. You can , however find a last generation model in good shape for around $7,000. That would be my plan if I were in your shoes ..
nealan
Absolutely, that DSSD is a CHUNK though!!
aTm2004
AG
Just get the Sea Dweller. A nice in-between.
nealan
Biggest difference there is a date that's not magnified. Some of us are getting old man eyes!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Interesting, didn't realize there was a sea dweller and a deep sea sea dweller. They both look a good bit chunkier than the sub. I'll have to see if he'd consider gray market. Thanks all
FTAC2011
AG
PoopyPullup said:

Interesting, didn't realize there was a sea dweller and a deep sea sea dweller. They both look a good bit chunkier than the sub. I'll have to see if he'd consider gray market. Thanks all

If you will consider gray market. Reach out to me. I've helped a few fellow TexAg users get some Rolexes. Sounds like he is in good hands either way!
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
Just wear the damn thing.
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Want to move the gold vein at an Aggie discount?
A New Hope
Personally my favorite geek watch is the Rolex Milgauss. Resists magnetic field thus the name 1000 gauss. Actually resistant to for higher magnetism. Shame it's 40-41 mm. My wrist is more suited to 36-38 mm. I wear a midsize datejust, jaeger reverso, Cellini, and my fave Patek Philippe Calatrava.
Farmer1906
AG
I like you.
Diggity
AG
I saw this article about the NFL dude who robbed his buddies and thought of this thread:

FTAC2011
AG
Fedup said:

Personally my favorite geek watch is the Rolex Milgauss. Resists magnetic field thus the name 1000 gauss. Actually resistant to for higher magnetism. Shame it's 40-41 mm. My wrist is more suited to 36-38 mm. I wear a midsize datejust, jaeger reverso, Cellini, and my fave Patek Philippe Calatrava.

Although this one is too big at 40mm as well.. the omega Railmaster claims 15,000 gauss. Really cool watch.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/seamaster/railmaster/the-collection/product
aTm2004
AG
Gotta hand it to the guy...they say NFL players often go broke after they're out of the league, so spending a couple grand on a knock off is better than spending a quarter mil or more on the real thing is a pretty smart financial move.
Exsurge Domine
I have to absolutely reiterate that the Maurice Lacroix Aikon Chrono is the absolute best watch for the money I've ever seen, literally ever. If you haven't gotten one you're wrong.

[url=https://ibb.co/fXbVNb7][/url]

To make it htine related I ventured from the far rural suburbs to dine with a buddy at El Tiempo on Washington. The women are a lot hotter here than the one I typically eat at in Vintage Park, but the parking is worse.
I Am A Critic
Exsurge Domine said:

I have to absolutely reiterate that the Maurice Lacroix Aikon Chrono is the absolute best watch for the money I've ever seen, literally ever. If you haven't gotten one you're wrong.

Or just keep saving until you can boy a real Royal Oak instead of this wannabe.
Username checks out.
nealan
ChemAg15
Farmer1906
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Exsurge Domine said:

See I was thinking it was a wannabe speedy panda.
Exsurge Domine
I Am A Critic said:

Exsurge Domine said:

I have a ROO
aTm2004
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

I Am A Critic said:

Exsurge Domine said:

I have a ROO

Who gives a chit? The important question is did you get the filet fajitas or beef fajitas?
Exsurge Domine
aTm2004 said:

Exsurge Domine said:

I Am A Critic said:

Exsurge Domine said:

I have a ROO

Who gives a chit? The important question is did you get the filet fajitas or beef fajitas?

Fajita quesadillas
aTm2004
AG
Ain't nothing wrong with that.
Post removed:
by user
JSKolache
AG
Diggity said:

I saw this article about the NFL dude who robbed his buddies and thought of this thread:

I dont understand the Milles. Look boring AF, i mean what are actually getting there?
FTAC2011
AG
I honestly did know how much I would love the yachtmaster until I put it on my wrist. I thought it was too "bland" with everything being same color... but the polished center links mixed with the sandblasted platinum bezel mixed with the sparkly platinum dial mixed with the red accent second hand just make it perfect. Cool story behind this one too as it was going to be the newest version of the submariner but they ended up making it its own model.

JSKolache
AG
FTAC2011 said:

I honestly did know how much I would love the yachtmaster until I put it on my wrist. I thought it was too "bland" with everything being same color... but the polished center links mixed with the sandblasted platinum bezel mixed with the sparkly platinum dial mixed with the red accent second hand just make it perfect. Cool story behind this one too as it was going to be the newest version of the submariner but they ended up making it its own model.

Yep this is it for me. I like the YM bezel. Havent narrowed down which dial color yet, but after the next big score YM is the on the short list.
aa1101
AG
Nice watch! I thought I wanted the platinum YM until I tried it on in the store. The polished links looked too shiny/flashy on my wrist. Ironically, I ended up with a two-tone YM that looks flashy in the box, but works on my wrist.
First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.