Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,523,212 Views | 13832 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by Mr. McGibblets
Cole Trickle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, apparently there is an entire PITA customs process for ordering that Christopher Ward watch. My wife is not real happy about that...oh well.

Here's a nice option that is on sale. 18% off! "Blue Waffle design"

http://www.jomashop.com/audemars-piguet-watch-26566bcood305cr01.html
XpressAg09
AG
I ordered a Christopher Ward, it got to me in 4 days. What PITA is she talking about?
Farmer1906
AG
aggie1906 said:

Jomas offers their own warranty. One of the benefits to buying high end watches are that the quality is outstanding.
Speaking of Jomas, **** those guys.

Say 3-5 weeks on the website, come back and say it'll be 6 weeks. After like 8 they say they can't fill it and offer me $50 my next purchase and the watch is still on the website

Diggity
AG
Pretty sure those backorder alerts mean they are trying to locate the watch. They're obviously not getting them from the manufacturer.
Cole Trickle
AG
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases
XpressAg09
AG
I'm just not understanding the issue, I guess. I can forward you the two emails Christopher Ward sent me.
1) Confirmation of Order Email
2) Shipment Tracker Email

I didn't have to do anything special, and haven't been arrested...yet
David_Puddy
AG
RVAg02 said:

Fall92 said:

So those guys have prices on their respective websites. Are those the final prices or did you get the 20% discount off of those?

Mine wasn't on his site. He went and found a new one for me. But I believe there is probably some wiggle room on his pre-owned models. The popular ones go really quickly, however, so YMMV.

So he went and sourced a brand new Submariner (which is a pretty common watch) for ~$2k under what you can buy them for anywhere online or if I were to walk into the Rolex shop at the Galleria? I'm not calling bullsh-t on you, but I do find that pretty hard to believe, especially with the way those watches retain their value. You could see that for a profit right now.
RVAg02
AG
20% includes sales tax savings. I don't know what to tell you. Watch came directly from an AD. Totally legit. Houston ADs don't have to discount. Others do.
Diggity
AG
You can find a good amount of reputable AD's on the popular watch websites as well.

That's how I bought my first nice watch. It's a leap of faith but when they've sold to hundreds of members, you don't get too nervous.
David_Puddy
AG
RVAg02 said:

20% includes sales tax savings. I don't know what to tell you. Watch came directly from an AD. Totally legit. Houston ADs don't have to discount. Others do.

That makes sense. Wasn't calling you out, just trying to figure out the 20% savings which I'm very intrigued by. This David SW guy isn't located in Houston I assume?
aTm2004
AG
David SW is in South Florida. Watches are a tight knit community, and he's the best and most trusted.
David_Puddy
AG
Sh-t, this is a good deal aqui
aggiepaintrain
AG
and expensive as f
RVAg02
AG
aTm2004 said:

David SW is in South Florida. Watches are a tight knit community, and he's the best and most trusted.

He certainly does the most volume and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.

I went with Thanh because other posters here had used him and he was "local." Originally I thought I was buying preowned and being able to do a face to face had appeal. Ultimately, I went brand new. Talked to both David and Thanh and Thanh was a couple hundred cheaper and a Texan. Done.
Sq16Aggie2006
Just got this one in, Tag Carrera 01 with in-house Heuer 01 movement. Really liking it, got a great price on it barely 2 weeks old
Pedro Cerano
AG
Question for the board. I currently own an Aqua Terra with a black face. I've had it about a year and I really do like the watch. But one thing bugs me about it. For lack of a better word, it feels a bit "blingy". There's a lot of shiny surfaces; PCLs, polished bezel, polished edges on the case and bracelet, white gold on the hour markers, hands, and symbol/name. Plus the raised hour markers and the teak finish on the dial. Any two or three of those things alone would be fine, but when you add them all up sometimes when I look at it feels like a bit too much going on for my admittedly understated taste preference.

I've been thinking of swapping it out for Rolex Explorer I 39mm. I especially like the 2016 Basel update with lume back in the numerals again.

What do you guys think? AT vs Explorer? Any other watch I should be considering? For any recommendations, just FYI, I'm not a dive watch guy. Certainly understand the appeal of them, but not personally for me.

Fire away
Farmer1906
AG
Something like this?

for this?

My personal preference would be the Rolex over the Omega.

If you want a similar style, I'll throw out a few recommendations.

I really like the Tudor North Flag. It was new last year and is their new in-house movement. It is more affordable than the Rolex.

My favorite brand right now is Nomos. The Club has a somewhat similar sporty style. But it only comes with a strap. Again, it is very affordable and all in-house.

If you're set on Rolex, I prefer the Datejust to the Explorer.
Pedro Cerano
AG
Your first two pictures are exactly right. That's the swap I'm considering. And I'm not married to needing a Rolex, I've never owned one before and don't feel strongly about them either way. I just think the Explorer is a really clean looking watch that can be an everyday workhorse and straddles the line perfectly between sport watch/dressier watch.

And it's funny you recommended Nomos. My other watch is a Nomos Tangente 38. That's my "dress" watch, though I know its not technically a dress watch, but its as close as I need.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm was just about to pick up a Nomos Tangente (normal size). To me, they wear big because the bezel is so small. It's nice to have someone on board who isn't uber infatuated with dive dive dive.
notheranymore
I think this would look darn good on me. I like the green because Chuck used Tsavorite stones in my wedding band.

And the hubs tried this on in Vega$. Looked mighty fine.

Guitarsoup
AG
I support both these purchases.
Farmer1906
AG
Feels wrong to get a speedmaster that isn't the moonwatch.
Sq16Aggie2006
aggie1906 said:

Feels wrong to get a speedmaster that isn't the moonwatch.

not when it is THAT speedmaster
Farmer1906
AG
Agree to disagree. I am digging the green datejust though. I'm anti diamond on my timepiece but I'm not a lady.
Zobel
AG
What about THIS speedmaster?

schmendeler
AG
Looks clean, but I think the band is what makes it pop.
Sq16Aggie2006
k2aggie07 said:

What about THIS speedmaster?

negative
Zobel
AG
Panda ftw. Looks even better in leather.

Farmer1906
AG
I think the Panda is the Apollo XI edition.

But I agree that is a sexy lady too.
Zobel
AG
Panda, reverse panda, whatever.

I actually like the reverse better.
I Am A Critic
Quote:

I actually like the reverse better.

aka The Poor Man's Daytona
Jethro95
AG
I avoided this thread for months but you guys finally got to me. Just pulled the trigger on a blue Seiko Sumo. Should be here in a week or two.
mcp2013
Any recommendations on where to get a Rolex appraised locally for insurance purposes?
Sq16Aggie2006
mcp2013 said:

Any recommendations on where to get a Rolex appraised locally for insurance purposes?

Hal Martins
aTm2004
AG
Talk to your local AD. Many have people come by a few times a month that do it.
First Page Last Page
Page 34 of 396

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.