Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,080,643 Views | 19208 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Stive
SbisaVictim95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just throw 'em all in a 10-3 show and call it "Dry Dock"

team punch out after 8:40 bit - unless it's Skinlanins, then it's 8:30
stew0720
AG
Y'all (and Reddit) are on to it for the most part. However haven't seen any discussion on show time slots slightly changing… (hint). Staff was informed 10 mins ago so I'm sure full details will leak soon.
dave94
AG
stew0720
AG
This is not correct.
RabbleRouser07
AG
Stew seems to be in the know. Wondering what the connection is. Hope it's not that you are the brother to Grodo's landlord's mailman.

Never mind. A little internet sleuthing makes me think he knows what he's talking about.
dave94
AG
Stew Cedar?
Hincemm
AG
RabbleRouser07 said:

Stew seems to be in the know. Wondering what the connection is. Hope it's not that you are the brother to Grodo's landlord's mailman.

Never mind. A little internet sleuthing makes me think he knows what he's talking about.

He's gay.

I mean, he's blind.
t - cam
AG
Morning drive no change of course
10 to noon changes to 10 to 1p - Matt McClearin to join Donny
1 to 3 will be Mino, Monty and Sean Bass
3 to 7 no change, Mino may still produce, not sure
dave94
AG
t - cam said:

Morning drive no change of course
10 to noon changes to 10 to 1p - Matt McClearin to join Donny
1 to 3 will be Mino, Monty and Sean Bass
3 to 7 no change, Mino may still produce, not sure

What? So where is Blake producing, HL?

ETA: This is an awful lineup. I'm not in the "Monty is good" camp. And Mino / Sea Bass are total snoozers
Spaceship
AG
RIP to WTDS with that 1:00-3:00 mix
752bro4
AG
Mino over Blake is a crime. Mino has some sports knowledge, and will work hard, but his personality brings zero to a show. Hope we don't get weekly shows about MLB The Show.

I will say Monty made me laugh multiple times today, specifically when they called Twig and discussed his hypothecal bachelor party with dirty strippers at Donovan's house.

I hope at least he gets to produce 10:00-3:00; he can't carry a show, but he's a great 3rd and has proven that these last 3 weeks (and 3 years with HZ). His monthly business reviews have been awesome, he's got good sports knowledge, and is relatable to a lot of the demographic as a suburban Dad.

I do have a new appreciation for Donny - he's shown he can pair well with anyone. From octogenarian Norm to millennials, he's been top notch. Also Ham on the board has been pretty solid - he definitely pushes the line with drops and subtle one-liners.

3rd edit to get it right - feel like I'm DannyDurberstein/Old Tom Morris
walton91
Wouldn't you put your more seasoned hosts (Donny and Matt) in afternoons leading into drive time? First time hosts have to go late mornings, no?
clobby
AG
You could also say you want to keep listeners from the morning drive.
abhall
All of these options that are being thrown out there are sad.
What about Tim Cowlishaw? I He was solid on the football panel with the Musers. You could put him on 10-12, would be replacing and old with an old and you put Donny on from 12-3.

Is he just too freaking old and I assume they couldn't afford him? He may have no interest anyway - has to be close to retiring at DMN.
stew0720
AG
This is correct
Goldie Wilson
Hopefully Blake still producing the 1-3. Monty needs someone else with a pulse on that show
mavsfan4ever
AG
abhall said:

What about Tim Cowlishaw? I He was solid on the football panel with the Musers. You could put him on 10-12, would be replacing and old with an old and you put Donny on from 12-3.

Is he just too freaking old and I assume they couldn't afford him? He may have no interest anyway - has to be close to retiring at DMN.

Too old, probably not interested, and he's even more boring than mino and Sean if that's possible.
Goldie Wilson
mavsfan4ever said:

abhall said:

Too old, probably not interested, and he's even more boring than mino and Sean if that's possible.
Also can you imagine 2+ hours of him clearing his throat every single day
ac04
more monty. less mino/sea bass
Goldie Wilson
ac04 said:

more monty. less mino/sea bass
mavsfan4ever
AG
Just listened to the first episode of the Dumb Zone. I know it's their first episode and it may take a while for them to get in the groove, but man it was pretty rough. The one sports segment they did was okay, but the other segments and the general talk all fell really flat without the other guys being able to contribute. Seems like more fake laughter is going to be common. And the lack of drops/music makes it feel flat as well. I'm sure the music and intros will get better but guess they won't have drops for a while (if they plan on making drops from their current shows and hire a board op eventually).
Legal Custodian
AG
Rumor is Dumb Zone have already been receiving Cease & Desist letters from Cumulus for their podcast. And they are trying to fight their non-compete to go to the freak.
J.P. 03
AG
Dumb question, but is it normal in this industry to be able to enforce a noncompete if a contract is expired (vs if the contract is broken when someone wants to go somewhere else)?

Seems weird that they would have signed an agreement that said "I will work here from X date to Y date, and after I'm done I will still give you veto power over where I work next for 90 days after that without additional compensation from you."
rhutton125
AG
I thought that's how they worked in general. Their legality is on thin ice but they're currently still enforceable in many cases.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Rumor is Dumb Zone have already been receiving Cease & Desist letters from Cumulus for their podcast. And they are trying to fight their non-compete to go to the freak.

Not exactly a rumor, they said as much on their podcast, except the freak part.
WC87
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Legal Custodian said:

Not exactly a rumor, they said as much on their podcast, except the freak part.

On that Musers segment Gordo repeatedly said that Dan and Jake told everyone they weren't leaving to compete with the little ticket. If they show up at Freak, I wonder how the ticket responds. If I'm Dan and Jake I wouldn't sweat it because they have to look out for themselves.
mavsfan4ever
AG
After listening to an episode of the Dumb Zone and hearing the rumors, I'm even more dumbfounded by D&J resigning. I get resigning if you want to do something out of the box that cumulus won't let you do. But resigning to go to the freak or to do the exact same show on patreon? That's next level dumb in my opinion considering it sounds like cumulus wasn't lowballing them money wise. And they will lose a lot of lifetime friends if they end up at the freak, bc they would have lied straight to their faces about not going there. And it doesn't even seem like a smart long term business decision, which means it's not really worth losing lifetime friends over imo.

Wonder if there was a lot of behind the scenes drama that pissed them off that we aren't aware of?

PatAg
AG
We don't know any of the actual facts. Anything you have heard the current Ticket hosts say is surely not the whole truth, just like anything Dan and Jake says is colored through their point of view.
It's going to be hard to convince enough of their listeners to pay for something they used to get for free
mavsfan4ever
AG
Of course we don't know all the facts. But we know they quit over digital rights, both sides seem to say that. Which I get it if D&J had something new/different that they wanted to do. But so far it's the exact same show except lesser quality. Yea, no **** cumulus wouldn't give them rights to do a podcast that was the exact same as their radio show.

It's pretty clear they will end up at the freak within a year and likely sooner. I think that was their plan from the beginning, considering they have nothing new/unique planned. Maybe they are giving patreon a go just to see how much money they can make at it.

Their reason for leaving was "they just want to do something different." I call bull***** Dumb Zone is literally the exact same show but worse quality. So they were lying or delusional.

And again, I say all of this as a huge hang zone fan. Listened to nearly every episode.
walton91
I doubt the Dumb Zone is going to be their final product. My guess is its just away to establish some income while they work towards what they want
mavsfan4ever
AG
That only makes sense if they are going to the Freak. So they want to kill 180 days (or however long their noncompete is) with the Dumb Zone and then go back to radio (the Freak) (but I would guess this is actually violating their noncompete anyways).

If they had something new/different why not just start it right away? Even if they weren't ready to start it, they would at least announce it to start getting some publicity.

They clearly aren't made for video, which was obvious when they made their goodbye video. And they even admitted on episode 1 that they are uncomfortable bc that wasn't their medium. So I honestly thing the Freak/the Dumb Zone is their final product. Not saying it can't get better but they've had a long time to think about this (they wouldn't just start planning once their contract was up). And this is all they've got so far.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree with Mavs. I think that afternoon drive time at the Freak is being kept warm for them. This patreon stuff is to make some cash while waiting this out, and it softens the backstab to their Ticket friends - although I expect them all to see thru it once it eventually happens.

Rhyner is clearly not close with a lot of those guys, but with what happened when they nearly left in 2013, one thing that seemed evident was Dan was pretty close with Mike
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea you could tell the ticket guys didn't even believe it during the goodbye segments. They all said, "I guess we will take them at their word that they aren't going to a competitor." I think they all know they are going to the Freak. That's why I think it's shorty if D&J to lie to them. I don't think there would be hard feelings if they told the truth and said it was a better opportunity or something like that. But if they lie to them, then I could see why there would be hard feelings.

And the noncompete has nothing to do with lying to them. It's not a violation of a noncompete to know (or tell someone) you are going to s competitor once the noncompete is over.
TriAg2010
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Dumb question, but is it normal in this industry to be able to enforce a noncompete if a contract is expired (vs if the contract is broken when someone wants to go somewhere else)?

Seems weird that they would have signed an agreement that said "I will work here from X date to Y date, and after I'm done I will still give you veto power over where I work next for 90 days after that without additional compensation from you."

I think it's a misnomer to say their contract has expired. The term of employment may have expired, but the contract could contain other provisions - like the non-compete - that survive for some time. So their contact is still very much "alive" and enforceable even though we colloquially say it has expired.

Here's an analogy from my work in equipment sales. When we supply some machinery, the sales contract includes a warranty period for one year after delivery. If something is defective in that one year, we will fix it our expense. There is no further exchange of money in return for goods after we deliver the equipment, but we have not fully performed our obligations and completed the contract until the warranty period elapses.
sterlicious
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

After listening to an episode of the Dumb Zone and hearing the rumors, I'm even more dumbfounded by D&J resigning. I get resigning if you want to do something out of the box that cumulus won't let you do. But resigning to go to the freak or to do the exact same show on patreon? That's next level dumb in my opinion considering it sounds like cumulus wasn't lowballing them money wise. And they will lose a lot of lifetime friends if they end up at the freak, bc they would have lied straight to their faces about not going there. And it doesn't even seem like a smart long term business decision, which means it's not really worth losing lifetime friends over imo.

Wonder if there was a lot of behind the scenes drama that pissed them off that we aren't aware of?

I think behind-the-scenes stuff is possible. I also think Dan was way less committed to The Ticket than Bob. I ALSO think they end up as The Freak's drivetime show. However, the idea of working less and earning less - but still enough to pay your bills - is not crazy. I'd gladly take an hours and pay cut if I could. If they were legit in thinking they could pull off the podcast for a moderate income reduction, with The Freak as a fallback plan, then that's not insane to me.
First Page Last Page
Page 497 of 549

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.