Metroplex
Sponsored by

RIP Favorite Local Restaurants Killed By COVID-19

41,914 Views | 231 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FincAg
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoffbrau (university dr) gone
Not necessarily a favorite of ours
wbt5845
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Very cold beer - a great happy hour place. That's too bad.
Proposition Joe
We liked it, but it was another one of those places where we liked it but also had been once in 5 years.
Naveronski
AG
powerbelly said:

Lizard Lounge is shutting down.

Damn, I saw a lot of good shows there.
wbt5845
AG
Proposition Joe said:

We liked it, but it was another one of those places where we liked it but also had been once in 5 years.
I work close to there. It was a favorite for after work celebrations when we'd had a good design review or customer presentation.
AG
Pep boys
AG
I used to enjoy Champps back in the day in Las Colinas. It has struggled the past couple of years with changes with management. It closed down for good after the Covid.
jsdaltxag
Picasso's Pizza. Sucks because they had really good pizza.
YouBet
AG
jsdaltxag said:

Killer for us. Weird ass restaurant with too large of a menu but their pizza was great. I think they went under right before this happened though? Can't quite remember the timing of it but they were on the very front end of this.
Kanyes psychiatrist
Jake's is terrible, don't know how people eat frozen beef burgers, then again most places serve frozen burgers and the city votes them some of the best in the city.
Bread Winners has been going down hill since their Director of Ops left a few years ago, oddly enough she found her way to Jake's after some time.
Ag CPA
AG
powerbelly said:

Lizard Lounge is shutting down.
Heard the Reconsider Lounge is shutting down too.
Proposition Joe
Jakes and BreadWinners had both been struggling before all of this.

I feel like Jake's did well in picking location. Food was pretty mediocre across the board, but they filled a niche in the locations they moved into. For the Fort Worth one that was on Camp Bowie, it was one of the few dine-in places that stayed open after 9 on that side of town.
TexAgs1992
wbt5845 said:

ftworthag02 said:

Great place just to have a decent meal. Many meals there during my TCU days.
hph6203
AG
Kanyes psychiatrist said:

Jake's is terrible, don't know how people eat frozen beef burgers, then again most places serve frozen burgers and the city votes them some of the best in the city.
Bread Winners has been going down hill since their Director of Ops left a few years ago, oddly enough she found her way to Jake's after some time.
Get a Jake's double cheeseburger, tots and a drink for 6.25 and you're doing pretty well, but you have to go to Keller's for that.
aggolfer
AG
Strategy said:

Bread Winners in Trophy Club/Westlake will not be returning.

I work in Westake alot and that one never made the rotation.
culdeus
AG
double aught said:

Proposition Joe said:

Jake's has been struggling in many locations for years.
I've never thought it was anything special.

It's like a less good version of Snuffer's.
AG
I think you mean Kellers
YouBet
AG
Not that pay much attention to the burger scene anymore but surprised by all the Jake's hate. It was widely well liked at one point. Did something change along the way?
jsdaltxag
YouBet said:

jsdaltxag said:

Killer for us. Weird ass restaurant with too large of a menu but their pizza was great. I think they went under right before this happened though? Can't quite remember the timing of it but they were on the very front end of this.
Agree. I think it was a week or two before mid-March - so first part of March.
Kanyes psychiatrist
YouBet said:

Not that pay much attention to the burger scene anymore but surprised by all the Jake's hate. It was widely well liked at one point. Did something change along the way?
I think people woke up to how crappy places like Jakes and other "good burger" places as they got older and realized the difference between quality fresh beef and frozen cheap beef thawed out on the flat top.
culdeus
AG

YouBet said:

I think people woke up to how crappy places like Jakes and other "good burger" places as they got older and realized the difference between quality fresh beef and frozen cheap beef thawed out on the flat top.
There are burger places that just serve Sysco factory farm processed garbage, and ones that don't. TBH I'd rather eat a impossible burger than something from Sysco.

They did go so far as to buy the "upgraded" end skin fries from Sysco, but as far as I can tell dump them straight from the bag to the fryer. Not that that would matter.
wbt5845
AG
I had never been to Jake's.

For burgers, Fred's is my first pick, followed by Rodeo Goat and Kindcaid's.

If I wanna go quick and cheap, I go all the way quick and cheap and go for Wendy's.
Kanyes psychiatrist
wbt5845 said:

If I wanna go quick and cheap, I go all the way quick and cheap and go for Wendy's.
You have taste my internet friend. Fred's is damn good as is rodeo goat. In Dallas YO Ranch, laurel tavern, RM 12:20 bistro, and good friend have great burgers.
wbt5845
AG

wbt5845 said:

You have taste my internet friend. Fred's is damn good as is rodeo goat. In Dallas YO Ranch, laurel tavern, RM 12:20 bistro, and good friend have great burgers.

As you can tell from my post, I work in west Fort Worth. I have never been to those places in Dallas - I will try them.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

RM 12:20 bistro
This place is a favorite of ours and the burger is really solid.
Kanyes psychiatrist
powerbelly said:

Quote:

RM 12:20 bistro
This place is a favorite of ours and the burger is really solid.
I honestly think it might be the best restaurant in Dallas. Top 5 easily.
Buford Tannen
AG
It's pretty great. When we moved into LH 7 years ago it was a pretty rundown old Cajun place...Offshore's Next Door. Somebody had a vision and turned it into greatness. They will easily outgrow that little space.
Ol Jock 99
AG
RIP Highland Park Cafeteria.
The Shank Ag
wbt5845 said:

If in Ft Worth and get a wild hare, drive down the tollway to Cleburne and try a Burger Bar burger. Tiniest little shack restaurant you will ever see but burgers still made on the same flattop as 70 years ago. I actually like it better than Rodeo Goat and Kincaids.

Kanyes psychiatrist
wbt5845 said:

wbt5845 said:

As you can tell from my post, I work in west Fort Worth. I have never been to those places in Dallas - I will try them.
You ever been to Charlie's? If it's still open. Incredible burger in Funky Town.
wbt5845
AG

wbt5845 said:

wbt5845 said:

You ever been to Charlie's? If it's still open. Incredible burger in Funky Town.
Yeah, I almost put Charlie's on there as well but I have not been in a long time since it's a little bit of a drive for lunch.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Thread derailment complete.
HarleySpoon
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

wbt5845 said:

ftworthag02 said:

Great place just to have a decent meal. Many meals there during my TCU days.
Exactly. Spend a lot of time at Will Rogers over the course of the year going to horse shows. Hoffbrau was always the go to place to get a decent, quick meal at a decent price. It's a shame to see it disappear.
grego
AG
Go to Charleys all the time. Still great food but has taken a stepback since the owner and namesake passed prematurely.
Naveronski
AG
It's a few minutes from my house. It's not bad, but not incredible.

Fuego is pretty good, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.