Wellborn Water issues Mandatory Stage 5 Water Conservation

22,349 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FamousAgg
foxfire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apparently commercial establishments are exempt. Drove by the storage facility at Greens Prairie and Wellborn at 1230 today. Sprinklers going like mad. Guess they can't find the off switch or however the thing works.
ElephantRider
AG
Plenty of people in Creek Meadows watering like usual.
foxfire
We must all live in an Orwellian Animal Farm..............
oklaunion
Not Wellborn but a couple of days ago, during the real heat, a company was hydromulching/seeding in front of the new City Hall. Bet that won't take any water the rest of July, August and September to keep it alive. Don't know why they didn't wait until the fall to do it.
UmustBKidding
Don't think there is anyone local there to know that there is any restriction.
maroon barchetta
UmustBKidding said:

Don't think there is anyone local there to know that there is any restriction.

The owners live in that house just outside the fence towards Greens Prairie. Can't get much closer.
MTTANK
AG
Really excited to re-sod my yard next year. I'm guessing we can send the bill to Wellborn water, and they will take care of it? How much does the guy or gal "running" that joint make a year anyways?
GIG 'EM
EBrazosAg
AG
So - I'm gonna throw this out for those who get water from SUDs. How is their board "elected "? Quotes because I've been in a SUD for 20 yr and I have no clue. I think it's time to hold leadership - employed directors and board - accountable for their planning and performance. I'm not in Wellborn SUD but am in another. I just think accountability is important.

In my mind - there should be a fee that reflects the actual cost of new production incrementally when you get a meter. I am fine with making that a retrospective fee based on first 12-24 mo usage. Maybe a small monthly fee that reflects the cost of recording monthly usage. Then a fee that reflects production cost monthly and looks at production cost (increase) going forward. While I'm sure it's more complex that that ( banking for new wells, towers, transmission lines) it's not rocket science. We have no issues in the BV in availability of H2O. It's all about pulling it out. Go look at the state well logs for aquifer levels. We are fine and will be for decades ….. so it's all about running the business. The every day admin and the boards of the SUDs should be accountable. Or out on their rear ends.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
waterchick
I looked up the websites for Wellborn and Wickson SUD.

Wellborn's next meeting: https://wellbornsud.com/board-meetings is July 19.

Wickson's next meeting is Thursday. https://www.wicksoncreek.com/board-meetings

I suspect that these meetings are sparsely attended but the boards of volunteer members would like to have more participation. (I see you, HOA, volunteer fire department, school PTO.) Likely many of their customers don't pay attention as long as water continues to flow from the tap. Speaking for myself (not my employer) as a former SUD customer, current CSU customer, longtime Water Geek/Evangelist: get involved. Ask questions. Go to meetings. You may encounter someone with an attitude of "why are you here?" I promise there are others who will be ecstatic when you ask questions and want to learn more. Water is life, and infrastructure makes it happen. (Not my words but I agree.)

Expert Analysis
AG
There are hundreds of more homes planned for Wellborn SUD in the near future. If they cannot meet current needs how can they in the future? They need to be expanding capacity to meet needs. If in the short term they cannot meet needs, then they need to implement the procedures they have at their disposable to curb usage so everyone can use what water is available. Wellborn SUD failed to adequately implement anything to curb usage. Stage 2 should have been implemented at least a week or two earlier. An option that should also be available is increased rates for people using over 10k gal per month. If people won't curb usage then make them pay.
waterchick
MTTANK said:

Kind of ridiculous to be pissed at those with lush lawns. Mine looks pretty good, and I have stayed with the schedule. I've been on a 2 day watering schedule before it was mandated. Only had to do a little bit of supplemental before my water overlords banned it. The yards that look like S### are the ones I see watering often and in the middle of the day. Deeper watering less times works best, for those that don't know. Also, I run my sprinklers a shorter amount of time per station, but do two back to back waterings. Avoids run off and allows the yard to soak it in better. Been spraying with iron to keep it green, and once it got hot havent used conventional fertilizers. Also supplement gypsum and peat moss throughout the year to help condition the clay soil.

Don't be train loaders, no reason other than poor management for this water situation.
Quoting this comment but in response to your "is Wellborn going to pay me to resod" comment. You're doing what everyone should be doing. We have silly putty that passes for soil here. 3 minutes from a fixed spray sprinkler and we get runoff. Deep, infrequent watering, accomplished through cycle & soak as you described above, is best for our landscapes. Plus the soil conditioning. If everyone did that, water demand would be lower. I'd be surprised if you have to resod.

I have met with many customers who, with the best intentions, switch to fewer minutes per station, but more watering days, to try to save water. Which is the worst thing to do because it creates "little co-dependent turf babies." Not my words but I found it hilariously accurate and I have permission to share.
maroon barchetta
Expert Analysis said:

There are hundreds of more homes planned for Wellborn SUD in the near future. If they cannot meet current needs how can they in the future? They need to be expanding capacity to meet needs. If in the short term they cannot meet needs, then they need to implement the procedures they have at their disposable to curb usage so everyone can use what water is available. Wellborn SUD failed to adequately implement anything to curb usage. Stage 2 should have been implemented at least a week or two earlier. An option that should also be available is increased rates for people using over 10k gal per month. If people won't curb usage then make them pay.

Sounds like you should attend the SUD meeting and share this info!
Expert Analysis
AG
I'll be there if I can get back from Austin in time.
EBrazosAg
AG
I think you are totally off. I have made inquiries for a decade without response. I know they have some texas open meeting act exemptions. They have no desire for true constituent involvement.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
waterchick
My reply included links to both special Utility districts combined with my own opinion so I don't consider it "off" but I concede you had a different experience. All I can say is attend meetings, review bylaws, and when elections are open, put your name in. For anyone else in an SUD who is interested but doesn't want to serve in leadership, go to meetings and ask questions.
maroon barchetta
You seem passionate about this issue.

You should make your voice heard at the next SUD meeting and run for a leadership position.
techno-ag
AG
etj77845
For those interested the July 19th agenda is here https://www.wellbornsud.com/agendas

Also for those so inclined Texas Water Code Ch 65 addresses SUDs. https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/WA/htm/WA.65.htm

I note the membership on the board is not published on their website. I note that you do not actuall have to be a resident of the district to serve on the Board.. interesting.

If you are an interested party and have the time to attend might be worth your while.
Hornbeck
legalbird said:

One HOA is touting that violators of dead grass or trees will get a minor break (won't receive any notices from property mgt firm) during the drought and lack of water.

I'm sure the HOA will overlook your dead plants in Sept / Oct…
75AG
AG
Watering prohibition lifted. Guess all that weekend rain refilled the system.
FamousAgg
Wells out of service in conjunction with a large leak were the culprit I believe
backinbcs
That would be a perfectly acceptable explanation, if true. However, the first thing they did was come out and blame their customers.
Hornbeck
This. Large line break near Nantucket was the culprit, is what I was told, but the "blame the customer" line got the attention it needed from KBTX.
foxfire
When one subscribes to the WSUD alert system you find that they leak like a colander. Two outages reported in the last 8 hours. So, Nantucket is not so farfetched, my emails indicate they were very silent on this one. There was one on Minter Spring within the timeframe.
BQ_90
AG
BattleGrackle said:

Wells out of service in conjunction with a large leak were the culprit I believe
move on, facts aren't allowed here
Jbob04
AG
Y'all should move out of town and drill your own water well, no more being told when you can water.
EBrazosAg
AG
No water systems locally depend on surface water unless you count the Wellborn pump station on the Navasota. And I'm pretty sure that's not a primary source of theirs.
75AG
AG
I was being facetious, doc.
EBrazosAg
AG
I do wonder how much Wellborn pumps at sulphur springs. I'm sure there is a way to find out but I don't know what it is.
Tailgate88
AG

Quote:

Wellborn SUD - Water System Update
July 20, 2022

Water System Update:
Peak demand was significantly reduced Tuesday, but was higher today. If this continues, there is a danger we will not have enough water to fight fires. Please help us convince your neighbors to follow the watering schedule for the safety of our community.

All right, naughty neighbors! Y'all check your sprinkler settings and make sure you are in compliance. (Seriously... we need to have enough water to fight grass fires...)

For reference:

Quote:

Water Restrictions as of 10:30 A.M. Monday July 18, 2022

Modify your irrigation timers or contact your irrigation provider to comply with the watering restrictions below. All customers are required to comply with this watering schedule in order to maintain safe water storage during this period of increased fire risk. If the District cannot lower peak demand, stricter measures will be implemented again.

Mandatory water restrictions are absolutely necessary to maintain safe storage levels for fire protection, drinking, and sanitation.

Mandatory Water Use Restrictions:

Under threat of penalty for violation, the following water use restrictions shall apply to all persons:

For addresses ending in 0, 1, 2, and Commercial Meters o Designated watering days are Thursday and Sunday

For addresses ending in 3,4,5 and Homeowners Associations o Designated watering days are Tuesday and Friday

For addresses ending in 6,7,8,9o Designated watering days are Wednesday and Saturday

On designated watering days your sprinkler system timer must be set to start no earlier than 9 p.m. and must be set to stop no later than 6 a.m. the following morning.

Water customers are required to practice water conservation and to minimize or discontinue water use for non-essential purposes. These restrictions will remain in place until further notice.
75AG
AG
WW has mismanaged this entire situation. And now turning neighbor against neighbor.
Hornbeck
75AG said:

WW has mismanaged this entire situation. And now turning neighbor against neighbor.

Friend of mine from Commiefornia says that's common out there. They give you a break on your bill to snitch on your neighbors.
Tailgate88
AG
75AG said:

For the record, "naughty neighbors" was sarcasm. And I agree with you.
waterchick
Not a Wellborn SUD employee or customer…BUT!

I'm a water geek and feel compelled to respond. What if "please help us convince your neighbors" means…"Hello customers: we know a lot of you understand we're in a drought, and you've responded by changing your habits. Well done! You may have also seen runoff from irrigation in gutters (aka your drinking water) as if it were limitless. Many, many other customers don't understand that. Full water towers supply water pressure which supplies the fire hydrants that provide water to fight fires, and being in drought, grass fires are more common. If we all water just two days per week we'll reduce water demand which will make water available to fight fires."

I hail from (many years ago!) the People's Republic of the San Francisco Bay Area (as my Dad calls it) so the Commiefornia reference has me .

This drought is awful. Where's the next tropical storm (edit: or, drought-busting rain, respecting our Texas Gulf Coast friends. Good point.)

TwoDogs
Not sure I want to wish a 'tropical storm' on anyone. I say this as having lived on the Gulf Coast for many years, Carla & Alecia being most memorable.

I do think the SUD is behind on infrastructure and keeping up on new neighborhoods out here in the county. They have simply not kept up with the times.

As someone on here mentioned, they do leak like a colander. Seems daily some area is without service. Interestingly the number of areas that seem to repeat.. patches on patches failing.

The BoD was supposed to address 'excessive use' on Tuesday night. Anyone has a clue as to what they define as 'excessive' please chime in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.