Wellborn Water issues Mandatory Stage 5 Water Conservation

22,239 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FamousAgg
Bpriefert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This isn't adding up. WW is having us water at rates equivalent to March/April levels, or about 20% of typical summer watering, which I'm certain is not "at capacity". Where is the rest of the water going?
FamousAgg
Unpopular opinion, but Water is too cheap. One day we will look back and wish we had taken better care of our water resources.
maroon barchetta
BattleGrackle said:

Unpopular opinion, but Water is too cheap. One day we will look back and wish we had taken better care of our water resources.

Kevin Costner for Water Overlord.
El_duderino
Long and infrequent run times for deep watering to promote deep root growth in Bermuda grass.TAMU turf and other schools have plenty of articles about it. If you have proper head to head sprinkler coverage it should be good to go.

Bpriefert
El_duderino said:

Long and infrequent run times for deep watering to promote deep root growth in Bermuda grass.TAMU turf and other schools have plenty of articles about it. If you have proper head to head sprinkler coverage it should be good to go.

I've trained my Zoysia this way for 10 years: 2 cycles, twice per week.

No one; I repeat no one, can convince me that zoysia will survive partial watering once per week in this weather.
El_duderino
Well that's why I said Bermuda in my post when I was asked what grass could survive it.
aginresearch
AG
Yeah I'd like to know how this is supposed to work for people who have pools and need to top it off to prevent equipment from burning up? Without any rain to supplement we are having to do this more frequently than we'd like.

I guess the answer is to massively overfill on our 1 day a week. Which is difficult since I have to manually fill it and of course we can't start till 9:00 PM. This means to massively overfill I'm looking at early morning hours to get up and shutoff the water. Looks like I'm investing in a timer for that particular hose.

I just moved out to Nantucket from inside CS city limits and I am less than impressed with Wellborn Water. Whatever issues I have with the People's Republic of College Station we never had these issues with water. Yeah you pay for it, but Wellborn Water rates are nearly the same, but I don't think I once over 16 years living at that address ever saw the extended issues that Wellborn Water has. I may be wrong but I still don't believe that CS is even under a stage 1 conservation order.
textar4404
Just drove by Veteran's Park and the soccer fields looked lush and green and the sprinklers were going strong. Wouldn't want those fields to dry out. Heaven forbid sports take a hit in this community.
trouble
AG
75AG said:

techno-ag said:

75AG said:

Just got another email from WW with a contact phone number, email, and request to report violators. With another reminder the fine is up to $2,000 per day for watering violations.
It's going to be like the Stasi with neighbors informing on neighbors.
I'm gonna report TEXAGBQ76 because I'm sure he's cheating.

Except I don't know where he lives.

I'd tell you but I like his baseball seats
aggiepaintrain
AG
textar4404 said:

Just drove by Veteran's Park and the soccer fields looked lush and green and the sprinklers were going strong. Wouldn't want those fields to dry out. Heaven forbid sports take a hit in this community.

We pay city taxes for that.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Not only do you not know where I live, you don't even know my TexAgs name. I think I'm pretty safe!
TXAGBQ76
AG
Everybody has priorities- and yours are in the right place!
trouble
AG
Gotta raise these boys up right!
75AG
lost my dog
aggiepaintrain said:

textar4404 said:

We pay city taxes for that.
College Station water, not Wellborn water.

And it's reclaimed (AKA treated potty) water, not potable water.

See https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/csu/water/reclaimed_water#:~:text=Reclaimed%20water%2C%20sometimes%20called%20recycled,to%20irrigate%20the%20entire%20facility.

waterchick
lostmydog I came here to post that, so thank you!

The ball fields at Veterans Park are irrigated with recycled water. Any restrictions put out by College Station would apply to use of potable (drinking) water.
UmustBKidding
Yep reclaimed water, but as I remember the spend to build the infrastructure to pump back from the CS treatment plant was a pretty penny. Talked to an engineer familiar with the project they indicated it would have been significantly less expensive to impound water in the creek (Mostly Bryan non potable water) or pipe from the Bryan plant that is significantly closer (and uphill from VP) than drag it from the CS plant. Don't want any Bryan germs infecting their precious grass.
75AG
AG
Pumped from the Bryan plant, wouldn't it have to piped under Hwy 6 and University? From the CS plant, wasn't it piped under an existing utility ROW? Wonder where the cost savings would be realized?
waterchick
Bryan's Burton Creek plant is behind Spring Loop/University. The reclaimed water used at Veterans Park comes from the Carter Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant which is just 2 miles south of Veterans Park. An existing easement was used for the pipeline.

Because it's not drinking water, the time of day use restrictions don't apply. However, I do understand how that could be confusing. Other utilities with recycled water systems are asked the similar questions.
Hornbeck
waterchick said:

lostmydog I came here to post that, so thank you!

The ball fields at Veterans Park are irrigated with recycled water. Any restrictions put out by College Station would apply to use of potable (drinking) water.

In other communities in drought conditions, that water can be reused as drinking water. Orange County California for instance reuses that water.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/instead-of-more-dams-communities-turn-to-reusing-wastewater
KaneIsAble
AG
Cool - of course we want mimic The OC CA
Geralt of Rivia
S
The people flipping the house next door have been power washing for 2-3 hours the last few days. I am really tempted to report them, especially since so many people in the neighborhood seem to be trying to follow the conservation requirements
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Geralt of Rivia said:

The people flipping the house next door have been power washing for 2-3 hours the last few days. I am really tempted to report them, especially since so many people in the neighborhood seem to be trying to follow the conservation requirements
Most pressure washers only use 3-4 gallons per minute.
Stupe
S
textar4404 said:

I've read this thread but haven't posted since I'm not on that water system.
I'll add this to the other replies that exposed your lack of research. And the people that put stars on it.

Would you prefer that big, open area be completely dry so one spark could set it off?

Have you been keeping up with what's going on around our area and the rest of Texas? Fire departments are fighting grass and wildfires that are getting started by chain sparks, the bottoms of hot vehicles, mowing, etc....

Did that cross the mind of you or the people that put stars on that post?

Or did you just want to make a couch potato comment towards athletic families and thought that it sounded witty?
maroon barchetta
waterchick said:

Bryan's Burton Creek plant is behind Spring Loop/University. The reclaimed water used at Veterans Park comes from the Carter Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant which is just 2 miles south of Veterans Park. An existing easement was used for the pipeline.

Because it's not drinking water, the time of day use restrictions don't apply. However, I do understand how that could be confusing. Other utilities with recycled water systems are asked the similar questions.

Would pumping from Burton Creek have been cheaper than constructing a new pipeline?

I believe that was the direction of that previous comment.
BQ_90
AG
maroon barchetta said:

waterchick said:

Would pumping from Burton Creek have been cheaper than constructing a new pipeline?

I also think part of using that water for irrigating the parks also helped the city meet their TCEQ requirements on discharge into carters creek or something like that. Might even been some upgrades or expansion of the treatment plant where using the water for irrigation reduced that requirement, the irrigation system was the cheaper option. And then the extra benefit of not relying on well water to irrigate
CS78
I thought the restrictions only state watering the yard as a fine-able offense?
lost my dog
maroon barchetta said:

waterchick said:

You can't just pump water out of a river in Texas - you need a water right.

I don't know how heavily allocated Burton Creek is, but the city may have realized they would have been at the end of the line (low priority), and reclaimed water would be a more reliable source (especially in a drought)
dubi
AG
textar4404 said:

Are those astroturf soccer fields?
BQ_90
AG
dubi said:

textar4404 said:

Are those astroturf soccer fields?

only 4 are turf, rest are grass

Quote:

Highlights

4 Synthetic multi-purpose fields
9 Natural grass multi-purpose athletic
5 Natural grass softball fields
Lights on all fields
Batting Cages
Bleachers on softball & synthetic multi-purpose fields
Covered pavilion with kitchen
5 Restroom facilities
1,473 Parking spots
Wi-Fi Connectivity
Playgrounds
But the point is they use recycled water from the treatment plant
Stupe
S
Facts are so inconvenient.
FamousAgg
I've been watering with recycled water for years. Even my dogs are trained. My male waters the trees, female waters the grass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.