Wellborn Water issues Mandatory Stage 5 Water Conservation

22,339 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FamousAgg
TXAGBQ76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you planning to share?
happyinBCS
do the property owners that CS annexed have Wellborn water or CS ? If they are now paying city taxes and have to boil water now due to being on wellborn water what a slap in the face from CS
cslifer
They have Wellborn water and BTU electricity. If I recall Wellborn Water and BTU have the right to keep that service area as they obviously own the infrastructure.
coconuthead
It sounds like it's not the people who were cooperating who caused this. It's people who are watering every day, some at the hottest part of the day.

As has been mentioned, it's easy to oversimplify and say if I want enough water to douse my lawn, I should have it and ignore the infrastructure expense it would take to run a utility that way. However, it is suspicious that this problem has occurred simultaneously with the new homes. Both things (compliance / responsible stewardship + adequate infrastructure) need to happen.

I'm worried about what the next few weeks are going to bring, but I'm more annoyed with the lush lawn club than I am with the utility companies.
etj77845
I too am a bit perplexed by WSUS's sudden move.

I went to their voluntary 2X7 day cycle, even though I was watering on a 2x8day cycle. I watched as contractors watered a vacant lot for over 24hrs nonstop- I guess it is about some pigs being more equal.

The boil notice came as a surprise, even though I have noted low flow through the taps. Of course the taste has been overly metallic - but hey this is WSUD.

I get the SUD alerts for water outages... man these guys have been busy. Perhaps they needed a rst.
techno-ag
AG
etj77845 said:

I too am a bit perplexed by WSUS's sudden move.

I went to their voluntary 2X7 day cycle, even though I was watering on a 2x8day cycle. I watched as contractors watered a vacant lot for over 24hrs nonstop- I guess it is about some pigs being more equal.

The boil notice came as a surprise, even though I have noted low flow through the taps. Of course the taste has been overly metallic - but hey this is WSUD.

I get the SUD alerts for water outages... man these guys have been busy. Perhaps they needed a rst.
Ozarka 4TW. Boiling is not going to make that taste go away.
rptsAg03
Curious if anyone has inside knowledge as to how we get out of the boil notice? Is this dependent on rain? If it is the fault of the non compliant consumers, do we have new instructions? The tone of the notice almost implied some penance, like, you're all grounded until further notice. Last post, I promise. I'm still just kind of thrown by this whole thing.
Tailgate88
AG
We love our Culligan RO system but I wonder if we still need to boil water from it. We're stocking up on bottled just in case. I bet the shelves are already bare at H-E-B…
AG81
AG
coconuthead said:

It sounds like it's not the people who were cooperating who caused this. It's people who are watering every day, some at the hottest part of the day.

As has been mentioned, it's easy to oversimplify and say if I want enough water to douse my lawn, I should have it and ignore the infrastructure expense it would take to run a utility that way. However, it is suspicious that this problem has occurred simultaneously with the new homes. Both things (compliance / responsible stewardship + adequate infrastructure) need to happen.

I'm worried about what the next few weeks are going to bring, but I'm more annoyed with the lush lawn club than I am with the utility companies.

This, exactly. One neighbor's yard looks like an Amazon jungle it's so lush. It really stands out.
AG81
AG
Tailgate88 said:

We love our Culligan RO system but I wonder if we still need to boil water from it. We're stocking up on bottled just in case. I bet the shelves are already bare at H-E-B…

They weren't when I loaded up at 2. Just kidding, I only got a couple of cases of water. There was a lot left.
Bob2525
I'm guessing this is only affecting the Wellborn water tower and not the tower on OSR & Hwy6? I assume these two are on different water mains.
UmustBKidding
No they are saying you have to bring inside to water, only outdoor is prohibited.
Tailgate88
AG
UmustBKidding said:

No they are saying you have to bring inside to water, only outdoor is prohibited.
Welp, guess I'll start toting them into the kitchen one at a time so we can water them from the kitchen faucet.

On another note: just received the single largest bill ever from Wellborn Water. Same sprinkler settings as last summer. Maybe they're saving up for a new water tower.
AggieAces06
AG
happyinBCS said:

do the property owners that CS annexed have Wellborn water or CS ? If they are now paying city taxes and have to boil water now due to being on wellborn water what a slap in the face from CS

Our house is in city limits, but we have Wellborn Water, BTU for electric, no sewer (only septic systems). I think our area was annexed back in 1997ish… but the City didn't take over the existing infrastructures.

We do get City police, fire, trash and street maintenance.
75AG
AG
Tailgate88 said:

UmustBKidding said:

Welp, guess I'll start toting them into the kitchen one at a time so we can water them from the kitchen faucet.

On another note: just received the single largest bill ever from Wellborn Water. Same sprinkler settings as last summer. Maybe they're saving up for a new water tower.
Same irrigation settings. Same two people living in the house. No visitors for the past month. Highest water bill EVER ($300).
ElephantRider
AG
happyinBCS said:

City limits doesn't affect water or power. CCNs through the PUC controls that. College Station didn't get to take over utilities just because they annexed
techno-ag
AG
ElephantRider said:

happyinBCS said:

City limits doesn't affect water or power. CCNs through the PUC controls that. College Station didn't get to take over utilities just because they annexed
Nor did they want to, TBH. Utilities are expensive to build out.
waterchick
75AG, are you on College Station water or Wellborn water? If CS you can get an irrigation checkup that may be able to save you some water.

Tailgate88: when you say "same settings" do you mean same run times? That makes sense. But this time last year we had a lot of free sky water so the need for supplemental irrigation was much less.
75AG
AG
Wellborn water
MTTANK
AG
Kind of ridiculous to be pissed at those with lush lawns. Mine looks pretty good, and I have stayed with the schedule. I've been on a 2 day watering schedule before it was mandated. Only had to do a little bit of supplemental before my water overlords banned it. The yards that look like S### are the ones I see watering often and in the middle of the day. Deeper watering less times works best, for those that don't know. Also, I run my sprinklers a shorter amount of time per station, but do two back to back waterings. Avoids run off and allows the yard to soak it in better. Been spraying with iron to keep it green, and once it got hot havent used conventional fertilizers. Also supplement gypsum and peat moss throughout the year to help condition the clay soil.

Don't be train loaders, no reason other than poor management for this water situation.
GIG 'EM
coconuthead
You're right. I have a specific lush lawn in mind. It belongs to a neighbor who has run their sprinklers every day this week.
Goat Man
AG
Not sure who said it, but I agree that I don't want to pay the premium required to maintain the reserves necessary to cool my house to 70 degrees and have a golf course like 1/2 acre lawn in these weather conditions. If you are paying 11 cents a kWh for BTU electric service I bet it would be 15 cents per kWh to have unlimited on demand power right now. And if your Wellborn SUD bill typically runs $300 in the summer you could expect $500 per month for unlimited irrigation water. Infrastructure for utilities is expensive and is not designed for extreme heat and / or drought.
FamousAgg
rptsAg03 said:

Curious if anyone has inside knowledge as to how we get out of the boil notice? Is this dependent on rain? If it is the fault of the non compliant consumers, do we have new instructions? The tone of the notice almost implied some penance, like, you're all grounded until further notice. Last post, I promise. I'm still just kind of thrown by this whole thing.

It's a requirement any time there is potential back flow or contamination of water in the system, the pressure gets low and dirty water can infiltrate in though any cracks or breaks, or if the water was treated insufficiency and had "bugs" in it. The boil notice will last until the lines have been sufficiently flushed (through normal use) where the Risk of bacteria/virus/etc is gone. Nothing to do with rain or lack there of.
oklaunion
Same irrigation settings. Same two people living in the house. No visitors for the past month. Highest water bill EVER ($300).

OK, at least 80% of that is watering your yard. My bill received today is $56. 7100 gallons and we averaged 3 folks at our house over the last month. We are also watering 53 head of livestock and a couple of dogs. Plus my spouse left the sprinkler running on her roses for an hour or so at least 3 times in the late evening.

I have the rate fees from WUD somewhere but you probably get penalized incrementally for usage over a certain amount for residential.
Expert Analysis
AG
Depending on your controller it may actually be watering more than last month based on conditions. Also you may have a leak in the system or a busted head.

What was your water use and number of days billed for each period? $300 will put you in the top tier of residential users.
75AG
AG
Expert Analysis said:

Depending on your controller it may actually be watering more than last month based on conditions. Also you may have a leak in the system or a busted head.

What was your water use and number of days billed for each period? $300 will put you in the top tier of residential users.
Controller set to water 2 days a week, only. However, we have 6 stations running 40 minutes each, 3 run 30 minutes each, and 1 runs for 10. No busted heads and no leaks. Last summer, WW delayed reading meters beyond 4 weeks which put everyone in our neighborhood in the top tier. Many of my neighbors had $500+ bills. With these restrictions, will be interesting to see August bill.
Tailgate88
AG
Quote:

Boil Water Notice Rescinded July 15, 2022

On July 15, 2022, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality required Wellborn SUD, public water system #0210016, to issue a Boil Water Notice to inform customers, individuals, or employees that due to conditions which occurred recently in the public water system, the water from this public water system was required to be boiled prior to use for drinking water or human consumption purposes.

The public water system has taken the necessary corrective actions to restore the quality of the water distributed by this public water system used for drinking water or human consumption purposes and has provided TCEQ with laboratory test results that indicate that the water no longer requires boiling prior to use as of July 15, 2022.

If you have questions concerning this matter, you may contact Stephen Cast at 979- 690-9799, email cyoung@wellbornsud.com, or leave a message on our website at www.wellbornsud.com.
Expert Analysis
AG
So did you use more water because more days were charged? That's kind of bullcrap with the tiered charges. You are paying the top rate potentially for water that should not have been combined on that bill. I do not think rates have changed, or at least I did not document a change since 11/2020 when they raised all levels $0.25/1000 gal. Effectively a 7% increase for most users. This was about a year after a 25% increase in the base water fees.

Some controllers can compensate to water more/less or not at all automatically.

I just found a busted head in my flower bed last week after I returned from a several week trip.... I put in two new heads two years ago. The spring after the freeze I found one of them broke when I was testing the irrigation system. The one I just found broke was the other one...pieces of junk. Fortunately that area was only watering for 6 minutes 2x a week. My bill for last month 6/7 to 7/6, was 3rd highest water use in 4 years in the house and my yard looks terrible. Trying to water just enough to keep it alive. People who keep large lots green in this weather are paying for it.

cost per 1000gal
0 $26.00
0-2000 $3.55
2000-10000 $3.85
10000-20000 $4.30
20000-30000 $4.80
30000-40000 $5.95
40000-50000 $6.65
50000+ $7.35
oklaunion
Expert Analysis said:

Off the top of my head he used 52,000 gallons. Wow. My yard, even in this heat, would be a marsh.
75AG
AG
Good math! 47,000. 1.25 acres irrigated, plus pool.
techno-ag
AG
75AG said:

Good math! 47,000. 1.25 acres irrigated, plus pool.

75AG
Hornbeck
Does the pool happen to have an autofill valve?

I know some folks whose pool was leaky, and that ate them alive in their water bill. I fill mine with the hose. Which is about every week in this heat.
75AG
AG
Hornbeck said:

Does the pool happen to have an autofill valve?

I know some folks whose pool was leaky, and that ate them alive in their water bill. I fill mine with the hose. Which is about every week in this heat.
No auto fill.
legalbird
One HOA is touting that violators of dead grass or trees will get a minor break (won't receive any notices from property mgt firm) during the drought and lack of water.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.