Wellborn Water issues Mandatory Stage 5 Water Conservation

22,231 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FamousAgg
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They had to use some Wellborn water to put out a fire off of Straub this afternoon.
75AG
AG
Just issued MANDATORY 1 day a week irrigation limit.
Post removed:
by user
TwoDogs
Know what you mean finished a watering campaign on Tuesday... now forced to wait until next Wednesday to water what grass I have left.

On the bright side!!! If I had a large enough bucket I could stlll get her done.

"On designated watering days your sprinkler system timer must be set to start no earlier than 9 p.m. and must be set to stop no later than 5 a.m. the following morning. Hand watering by bucket or watering can is allowed on any day after 6 p.m. or before 9 a.m. Water customers are required to practice water conservation and to minimize or discontinue water use for non-essential purposes."

I guess Saturday night baths will be in again.
Tailgate88
AG
Walt Longmire said:

Trying to comply with Wellborn, but each time they move to this new restriction it seems to fall on the day (or day before) I am allowed to water and the new schedule means 9-10 more days until I can water again. Same thing happened in the stage 5 restriction a couple of weeks ago.
Same here. Our next designated day was tomorrow morning, now it's next Tuesday morning. That will be nine days since the last watering Sunday morning. Pretty sure our St. Augustine is dead for good. I can deal with that but we have landscape perennials that come back every year - even made it through the big freeze last year and I am seriously worried about them.

75AG
AG
Judging by the gap between my driveway and lawn, I'm starting to be very worried about my foundation.
Tailgate88
AG
75AG said:

Judging by the gap between my driveway and lawn, I'm starting to be very worried about my foundation.
That too. We have cracks forming in sheetrock, gates that are getting close to impossible to close, and the back door is sticking pretty bad. Realistically between home and landscape damage, we're looking at a lot of money.

foxfire
Been concerned about slab as well. Pretty good gaps evolving recently. Don't know how many buckets it would take to remedy.

I suppose the landed gentry will continue to water unconcerned.
TwoDogs
Well, I just hit it lucky. Today is my NEW and IMPROVED watering day. I think I'll concentrate on area around house tonight and soak really good.

Those 30% chance of rain for Friday isn't that promissing.
cajunken
My last watering day was Sunday, so now I'll have to wait until next Tuesday night. Nine days with no water for the little grass we are trying to keep alive.
75AG
AG
Serious question: unless they drive around at night with searchlights, or you have a Karen-neighbor, how can they tell if you're running a soaker hose around your foundation?
Bpriefert
This is garbage. The people who are responsible for allowing new development to occur prior to infrastructure investment, should have their heads roll. Such carelessness of a monopoly should not go unpunished. I hope a class action is filed.

And do I recall that recently someone won a lawsuit that allowed them to sell bazzillions of water to Austin or San Antiono off a tiny few acre plot?
FearNoWeevil
AG
75AG said:

Serious question: unless they drive around at night with searchlights, or you have a Karen-neighbor, how can they tell if you're running a soaker hose around your foundation?
Shhhhhhhh...
Rockdoc
AG
Walt Longmire said:

Trying to comply with Wellborn, but each time they move to this new restriction it seems to fall on the day (or day before) I am allowed to water and the new schedule means 9-10 more days until I can water again. Same thing happened in the stage 5 restriction a couple of weeks ago.

Yep I got screwed in the same way again. Getting tired of it, especially when I'm trying to follow rules while some people water whenever they want.
Tailgate88
AG
75AG said:

The new meters they installed a few years back are electronic/digital - they don't have to open the meter enclosure and read the settings to determine how much water you have used. They just drive down the street slowly and they are able to electronically "read" the meter.

A couple summers ago I called to protest my water bill, and the lady said "well it looks like you watered on Wednesdays and Sundays three weeks in a row last month and used XXX gallons of water on those days." Not sure if they have this info in real time, but once they read your meter I believe they will know how much you used on a daily basis.

Yesterday I had to turn my pool water on for 15 minutes because it had gotten so low it wasn't sucking water into the drains. Normally I would fill it to a couple inches from the top, but since it wasn't my designated "Watering" day I only added enough to keep it from gurgling. I guess we'll see if the water police come give me a ticket.
textar4404
We notified Wickson that our irrigation system and pool filling are supplied from a well and not to try to ticket us if they see us watering the lawn. So far no ticket.
Post removed:
by user
MTTANK
AG
These guys make ERCOT look competent. What a dumpster fire. I'm out of state and my house sitter is out of town until tomorrow. I'm set to water an entire 20 minutes tonight. Guess I might get wallet whipped by my overlords, that will fix this water "emergency". Meanwhile, the city taj mahal looks like a PGA golf course. In all fairness, it's their money they are waisting...... Wait a second?!
GIG 'EM
WheelinAg
AG
Wonder how busy the well drillers are...
MTTANK
AG
Walt Longmire said:

Yep, Wellborn can tell how much and when you are watering. I'm usually not one to get wound up about it, but for those of us complying and potentially losing thousands of dollars in landscaping, watching neighbors water every day and/or during the afternoon is very frustrating.
I really don't think it has much to do with those that are still watering on the wrong schedule. In my hood, zero are watering every day. I'm sure some are doing more than ordered, but not many. It looks burnt to a crisp up and down the entire street. Really a shameful sight. Anyone that thinks this is the customers fault and not the provider, are too far gone to save.
GIG 'EM
cslifer
What does city hall have to do with Wellborn water?
Bpriefert
How in the world is Wellborn Water able to not have a class-action of neglect on their hands for failure to reasonably invest infrastructure to handle the new customers they take on at the expect of old customers? They are a monopoly.
etj77845
A lot of the WW service area is in the CS Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction. This means the CoCS' Zoning and Planning Board has a say in how development in the county is developed. Plats for new subdivisions also have to have CoCS approval to proceed.

With the adding of Saddle Creek, Creek Meadows, Meadow Creek, Indian Lakes, et.al. likely little or no attention to infrastructure capacity has been paid. City will only look at roof counts with the aim of annexation at some future date
lost my dog
Bpriefert said:

This is garbage. The people who are responsible for allowing new development to occur prior to infrastructure investment, should have their heads roll. Such carelessness of a monopoly should not go unpunished. I hope a class action is filed.

And do I recall that recently someone won a lawsuit that allowed them to sell bazzillions of water to Austin or San Antiono off a tiny few acre plot?
I don't think water districts can block development. But they don't have to service new development.

(I imagine if Wellborn Water chose not to service new development in its area that now Texags would have threads on how Wellborn Water was evil for not servicing houses where the well had run dry.)

I'm not sure what would be gained by a lawsuit, If a class action won, the district would have to raise rates to pay the judgement. Who would be paying the increased rates? The people who won the class action,

Attend the district meetings and vote for new leadership if you think mistakes have been made. And pray for rain.

Yes, there was a settlement in that groundwater lawsuit. See https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3287932
aggiepaintrain
AG
The City of College Station is coming....
Taxes are going UP
75AG
AG
Just got another email from WW with a contact phone number, email, and request to report violators. With another reminder the fine is up to $2,000 per day for watering violations.
BQwolf05
AG
Yep HOA just sent that out....
techno-ag
AG
75AG said:

Just got another email from WW with a contact phone number, email, and request to report violators. With another reminder the fine is up to $2,000 per day for watering violations.
It's going to be like the Stasi with neighbors informing on neighbors.
75AG
AG
techno-ag said:

75AG said:

It's going to be like the Stasi with neighbors informing on neighbors.
I'm gonna report TEXAGBQ76 because I'm sure he's cheating.

Except I don't know where he lives.
El_duderino
That's what people should be doing anyways. No need for 2-3-4 days a week watering
FlyRod
Xeriscaping businesses will be making bank in these parts soon. Cacti and rocks require very little watering.
techno-ag
AG
Nah. When the drought's over the rain will drown the cacti and the rocks will have run off with weeds growing in the cracks. Gets a little dry around here every summer, some worse than others, then goes back to normal eventually.
Bpriefert
El_duderino said:

That's what people should be doing anyways. No need for 2-3-4 days a week watering

Educate us please on grass that can live on 1 day/week watering.
Jbob04
AG
Watering under restrictions like this will not keep your grass alive. I would just water around your foundation and any trees you have and just let the grass go. It will come back.
cslifer
I can't believe people want to sue over water restrictions…in a drought no less. Says a lot about our community unfortunately.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.