COVID VACCINE

175,940 Views | 1108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nosmo
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

https://www.kbtx.com/app/2021/01/05/brazos-county-thousands-of-covid-19-vaccines-are-still-sitting-on-local-shelves/

Quote:

Brazos County officials learned Tuesday only 3,000 of the more than 7,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses allocated to the county have been administered.

Brazos County Commissioner Precinct 4 Irma Cauley says that while the state has a plan to distribute vaccines, she thinks that Brazos County is not benefitting from that plan.

"I want us to work more efficiently and effectively together," said Cauley. I hear the number 7,000 doses; I thought that was too small, "said Cauley. "However, if 3,000 is still on the shelf evidently I got to reassess that".

Classic case of "who is in chare here?"

If TDEM is the lead, they screwed the pooch in planning and/or communicating. They absolutely should redistribute doses sitting on shelves.

the other article stated about 7200 doses shipped to the county so that looks about right, but administered doses were tracking closer to 1500 in previous other threads.
theNetSmith
AG

Quote:

So, they have no idea what is really going on? que up my shocked face.....

sure sounds that way

Quote:

Also, 3000 doesn't jibe with the numbers we've been seeing.

sure doesn't
RDH80
AG
Call at Joseph hospital . I know 1b's that have gotten it there
Nosmo
AG
The commissioner's court meeting is on KBTX's Facebook page. You don't need Facebook to view it.

It's about the first 35 minutes of the meeting.

Some of my takes:

This distribution is a work in progress and changing often based on many moving parts.

We are now in 1A only. Others are coming, maybe by the end of January or mid Feb.

The "Week 4" allocation from the state announced won't be at the administers until next week (Week 5).

So the 7,000 available today, is more like 5,000 that has been reported, until next week.

They said they have given about 3000 shots, and the data on the state website is 1/2 that.

As KBTX said, the state DSHS is monitoring use and will move doses from one place to another if not using.

We are now in a small dose distribution, but will move to larger, mass vaccination facilities. when it available to the general public.

Excuses / explanations revolved around the limited and uncertain supply of vaccine.

Maybe wishful thinking, but appears that lack of communication was recognized and they are working on it.

If you have 30 minutes, I suggest to watch the meeting. There's a lot of frustration by all parties.

On a side note, the state vaccine "dashboard" dropped the doses "available" tab per county. And they did this last night about 9PM, which was an update to their 4PM posting. Will they add it back? It seems change is the normal. Anyway, I suppose the weekly posting by the state will now become "available", but it won't be at the vaccinators until the next week.

Who's on first?

EDIT: As soon as I posted this the state updated their "dashboard" at 2:50 PM.

They now say they "have SHIPPED" 1,333,450 doses to date. That's 400K more than yesterday. And today's reporting is supposed to be as of midnight last night.

Brazos county is showing 1,464 vaccinated. And no info on what is available.

Also, 1.9 MM in group 1A, so hopefully 1B opens up in a couple of weeks or so. Of course 2nd shot vaccinations will soon take up new shipments.

cavscout96
AG
Thanks for the run down.

I'll give it a listen later.
555-PINF
cavscout96 said:

theNetSmith said:

https://www.kbtx.com/app/2021/01/05/brazos-county-thousands-of-covid-19-vaccines-are-still-sitting-on-local-shelves/

Quote:

Brazos County officials learned Tuesday only 3,000 of the more than 7,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses allocated to the county have been administered.

Brazos County Commissioner Precinct 4 Irma Cauley says that while the state has a plan to distribute vaccines, she thinks that Brazos County is not benefitting from that plan.

"I want us to work more efficiently and effectively together," said Cauley. I hear the number 7,000 doses; I thought that was too small, "said Cauley. "However, if 3,000 is still on the shelf evidently I got to reassess that".

So, they have no idea what is really going on? que up my shocked face..... Also, 3000 doesn't jibe with the numbers we've been seeing.
"However, if 3,000 is still on the shelf evidently I got to reassess that".

Everything about that statement just exudes confidence.[/facepalm]
BCSWguru
Let's give the government more power. What could go wrong?
MiMi
S
Quote:

Brazos county is showing 1,464 vaccinated. And no info on what is available.
And the 1,464 vaccinations reported are only the first dose. The dashboard shows 0 for anyone receiving both doses. A friend of mine, a primary care physician in CS, received the second dose yesterday. It will be interesting to see what the reporting lag time is before the numbers of individuals getting the second dose appear on the dashboard.
doubledog
You have not read "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. So what animal are you?

Goose83
AG
3000 doses in four weeks.

Time to mobilize the National Guard, and have them set up a base camp at the Brazos Center with an f-ton of refrigerated trucks and logistical support. Have them stay there until every citizen in Brazos County that wants a shot is inoculated.

This isn't rocket science.
cavscout96
AG
Goose61 said:

3000 doses in four weeks.

Time to mobilize the National Guard, and have them set up a base camp at the Brazos Center with an f-ton of refrigerated trucks and logistical support. Have them stay there until every citizen in Brazos County that wants a shot is inoculated.

This isn't rocket science.

AMEN. It ain't that hard
cavscout96
AG
doubledog said:

You have not read "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. So what animal are you?

Preach!
Nosmo
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/01/06/brazos-county-vaccine-providers-offer-updates-on-covid-19-doses/

KBTX story from last night, from providers perspective.

I am starting to think that numbers on the state website are no exactly reflecting what's actually taking place.

Appears supply is the more of an issue than administering shots.

I think accurate communication would calm the masses.

The state took a step a couple days ago using "shipped" instead of "available".

Words matter.

Quote:

BRYAN, Texas (KBTX) - As the state rolls out its fourth week of COVID-19 vaccine shipments, there's not a clear picture of how those vaccines are currently being utilized across the Brazos Valley.

According to a COVID-19 vaccine distribution presentation at the Brazos County's Commissioners Court meeting on Tuesday, there are around 4,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine currently allocated to Brazos County, but unutilized and awaiting vaccinations due to backlog or staffing issues. Emergency managers said about 7,075 doses have been distributed to the county, but only about 3,000 of them have been administered.

The Texas Department of State Health Services has also launched a COVID-19 vaccine dashboard that it says is updated daily. According to the dashboard, only 1,464 doses have been administered in Brazos County, which local medical providers say is far behind our current situation.

With these conflicting numbers, KBTX reached out to all approved Brazos County COVID-19 vaccine providers who have been allocated vaccines to ask how the rollout is going.

Baylor Scott & White- College Station was the first provider in the Brazos Valley to receive shipments of the COVID-19 vaccine. According to the Texas Vaccine Allocation Plan, BSW has been allocated a total of 1,175 doses. The hospital declined to offer details specific to Brazos County vaccinations, saying the Scott & White Health System was approaching the vaccination effort based on their entire system across Texas. The hospital is still required to report vaccination data to state health officials.

We are continuing to immunize our healthcare workers, as the health of our team members is critical to our ability to continue delivering safe care in the communities we serve. In most cases, we are distributing the doses we receive within hours of securing the shipment.
Baylor Scott & White - College Station statement

The hospital did confirm that on Monday they began the second round of doses for employees.

St. Joseph Health has been allocated a total of 4,100 doses throughout their Brazos County facilities, but they emphasized not all allocated doses have arrived. St. Joseph Health was included in Week 2 of the vaccine allocation program, but received their vaccines on Christmas Eve. Officials say they have only been able to give out around half. They will receive their second doses in about two weeks.

Both local hospital systems told KBTX on Tuesday that they planned to begin Phase 1B this month and potentially as early as next week.

Shane Lechler, manager of the Tower Point H-E-B Pharmacy, said that all five of the H-E-B pharmacies received 100 vaccines two weeks ago and all the vaccines were administered within seven days.

Some local clinics have been allocated vaccines, but have not received any because they are unable to sufficiently store them.

Bryan Family Medicine Clinic was allocated 100 doses for Week 4 of the allocation program but said they have not received any because they do not have the capacity to store the vaccines at the sub-zero temperatures required.

Legacy Nursing and Rehabilitation in Bryan said they have received all 100 of their allocated doses. Out of their 75 live-in residents and about 100 employees Senior Vice President Myles Holyfield says that over half of the residents and nearly half of their employees have received their first dose.

Holyfield says there's about 70 more people to vaccinate in Phase 1A and that they should be starting second doses in about a month. Those doses will come in a second shipment that Legacy has yet to receive.

Emergency managers have also pointed to bottlenecks at the state level and in the logistics of distributing vaccines as the sources of the problem. In his presentation to commissioners court, Texas Division of Emergency Management district coordinator Ponch Gonzalez said the paperwork and monitoring necessary for a vaccination make individual appointments take around 30 minutes, and Brazos County's swelling hospital numbers have made reallocating enough resources challenging for some providers. Hospital officials also cited the Christmas and New Year holidays as a stumbling block in vaccinating those included in Phase 1A.
trouble
AG
It's super annoying seeing friends in Austin and Houston who aren't frontline workers or in 1b getting the vaccine from their healthcare employers.
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
Amen to all of that
cavscout96
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

It's super annoying seeing friends in Austin and Houston who aren't frontline workers or in 1b getting the vaccine from their healthcare employers.

It's super annoying that when any part of this pandemic is approached by our elected officials, you see more evidence of their total incompetence. From accurate counting (oops, our bad), to social media reporting (oh, we let that person go), to now managing the solution (we are still trying to figure out who to give it to).... it's glaringly obvious that we have a group of buffoons running the show. Crank up another rousting performance of "Send in the Clowns", cause Brazos County is doing their thing.
You've pretty much summed it up brother!
cavscout96
AG
Quote:

Texas Division of Emergency Management district coordinator Ponch Gonzalez said the paperwork and monitoring necessary for a vaccination make individual appointments take around 30 minutes, and Brazos County's swelling hospital numbers have made reallocating enough resources challenging for some providers. Hospital officials also cited the Christmas and New Year holidays as a stumbling block in vaccinating those included in Phase 1A.
1. email the paperwork out. arrive with it completed

2. Call the Guard to put up big tents in a giant empty parking lot (Post Oak Mall, Target in Bryan)

3. make a loooong line 6' between individuals, just like army chow lines, have blank papers at the beginning of the line for folks who fail to bring them pre-filled

4. have someone go up and down the line checking for accuracy (I know, this would require someone to get up from behind a desk and out of a chair, tough sledding).

5. administer the vaccine in tent 1 maintaining physical distancing

6. Move to observation tent(s) to wait

7. Leave

This. stuff. is. not. hard.

Interesting that BS&W and St. Joe's are full of excuses while HEB was complete in 7 days.
EMY92
AG
The Lorena, TX Brookshires received 500 doses. They called the state and asked if they could share them with other health providers because they don't have the staff to administer that many doses. The state refused.

Local news got involved, state then said they'll look into it.
EBrazosAg
AG
Companies like Brookshires and H-E-B way better able to adapt and move than hospitals and the national chains. It's what they do. Hospital systems don't do community vaccination by and large. Walgreens and CVS and Kroger got less excuse imho.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Companies like Brookshires and H-E-B way better able to adapt and move than hospitals and the national chains. It's what they do. Hospital systems don't do community vaccination by and large. Walgreens and CVS and Kroger got less excuse imho.
Then give the shots allocated to the hospitals to folks who can actually get the job done. If they can't or won't do it, give it to someone who can and will.

and again, if we knew this, why wasn't it taken into account in the PLANNING.
EBrazosAg
AG
There wasn't any planning. Because no one knew how it would roll out. To be fair .. there are lots of cases where things are shown as delivered to a location and that location hasn't seen the vaccine yet. That has happened in many places and many states.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
cavscout96
AG
EBrazosAg said:

There wasn't any planning. Because no one knew how it would roll out. To be fair .. there are lots of cases where things are shown as delivered to a location and that location hasn't seen the vaccine yet. That has happened in many places and many states.
I'm tired of excuses. This mess has been a clown show for nigh on nine months now. There is NO excuse for this level of ineptitude. Period.
EBrazosAg
AG
I have to say ... if the whole mess was a clown show for 9 months there wouldn't be a vaccine to distribute for another 9-12 months. That's not to absolve the patently inept aspects of management. But it's not the WHOLE thing.
nought
AG
If you look at the DSHS dashboard (https://bit.ly/2MHCxWr) and hover over some of the darker blue counties, you'll find some that are smaller areas than us that have managed to vaccinate way more people already.

Looks like Amarillo (Randall/Potter counties) and Tyler (Smith) county are kicking our local tail. Those counties have over-16 populations of 109,144, 89,806, and 181,426, and have first-dosed 9,081, 5,869, and 5,172 people, respectively. Meanwhile we have an over-16 population of 185,835 and have only first-dosed 1,771 people.

I get there is a reporting lag, but either they are doing a better job reporting to the state or they are doing a better job vaccinating, and in either case, local officials should look and learn.
Nosmo
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/01/06/local-lawmaker-confirms-error-in-vaccine-distribution-numbers/

Quote:

BRYAN, Texas (KBTX) - Rep. John Raney was alarmed when reports of only 3,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses of the 7,075 allocated to Brazos County had been distributed as of Tuesday came out.

Raney says after speaking with the Chief of the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) W. Nim Kidd, that number is inaccurate.

"A lot of those vaccines had been reported to the health and human services but had not been recorded in their system. So they were not really available, they already had been given out," said Raney.

Raney says TDEM is working to make sure all vaccines are recorded accurately.

"It was the tracking system that did not record it appropriately. It wasn't that the hospitals and the people giving the doses, it there was an error in the system."

KBTX has reached out to TDEM to get clarification on the system error and an accurate number of how many doses remain in Brazos County.

Rep. Raney says 1,700 more doses should be arriving today.

Trying to follow the vaccine numbers is exhausting.

Yesterday Michele Meade reported "Week #4" state allocation numbers would bring total to Brazos county 7075 doses. However, she stated the Week #4 additional doses would not be distributed until NEXT WEEK.

Week #3 to date was about 5575 doses, so Week #4 would add 1400 doses, based on the state Weekly Allocation sheet, which Michele displayed at the commissioner's court meeting.

The article above doesn't say what the actual numbers should be.

Today's state Vaccine dashboard, updated at 3:30PM (data as of midnight last night) is showing 1771 Brazos county 1 dose shots & 1 person with 2 shots. Yesterday the county health department said there was about 3000 shots given.

State does not show vaccine to providers on the dashboard.

I think we've had about 5600 total doses available to administer to date. I don't think the 1800 shots given is even close to accurate.

Hopefully as this progresses we'll get more clarity. But I'm not holding my breath.

PS: I used to have a sign in my office that I would point at when someone had a problem or complained:

IN GOD WE TRUST. EVERYONE ELSE BRING DATA.

I'm not sure where the problem is right now. The data is messed up.

dubi
AG
Old people Covid vaccine question:

86yo mom received her first vaccine last Monday. After she receives her 2nd dose, how long do we need to wait before going out to eat in a restaurant? She is eager!
cavscout96
AG
EBrazosAg said:

I have to say ... if the whole mess was a clown show for 9 months there wouldn't be a vaccine to distribute for another 9-12 months. That's not to absolve the patently inept aspects of management. But it's not the WHOLE thing.

To clarify...it has been a clown show at the local level.

The folks busting their tails to develop a vaccine with 95% efficacy have turned in a monumental effort.
Post removed:
by user
cavscout96
AG
Nosmo said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/01/06/local-lawmaker-confirms-error-in-vaccine-distribution-numbers/

Quote:

BRYAN, Texas (KBTX) - Rep. John Raney was alarmed when reports of only 3,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses of the 7,075 allocated to Brazos County had been distributed as of Tuesday came out.

Raney says after speaking with the Chief of the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) W. Nim Kidd, that number is inaccurate.

"A lot of those vaccines had been reported to the health and human services but had not been recorded in their system. So they were not really available, they already had been given out," said Raney.

Raney says TDEM is working to make sure all vaccines are recorded accurately.

"It was the tracking system that did not record it appropriately. It wasn't that the hospitals and the people giving the doses, it there was an error in the system."

KBTX has reached out to TDEM to get clarification on the system error and an accurate number of how many doses remain in Brazos County.

Rep. Raney says 1,700 more doses should be arriving today.

Trying to follow the vaccine numbers is exhausting.

Yesterday Michele Meade reported "Week #4" state allocation numbers would bring total to Brazos county 7075 doses. However, she stated the Week #4 additional doses would not be distributed until NEXT WEEK.

Week #3 to date was about 5575 doses, so Week #4 would add 1400 doses, based on the state Weekly Allocation sheet, which Michele displayed at the commissioner's court meeting.

The article above doesn't say what the actual numbers should be.

Today's state Vaccine dashboard, updated at 3:30PM (data as of midnight last night) is showing 1771 Brazos county 1 dose shots & 1 person with 2 shots. Yesterday the county health department said there was about 3000 shots given.

State does not show vaccine to providers on the dashboard.

I think we've had about 5600 total doses available to administer to date. I don't think the 1800 shots given is even close to accurate.

Hopefully as this progresses we'll get more clarity. But I'm not holding my breath.

PS: I used to have a sign in my office that I would point at when someone had a problem or complained:

IN GOD WE TRUST. EVERYONE ELSE BRING DATA.

I'm not sure where the problem is right now. The data is messed up.

Whole lotta "not my fault!" And finger pointing going on between TDEM, county, hospitals. Now we are, apparently, going to blame it on some nameless "glitch."

Again, garbage in - garbage out.
trouble
AG
dubi said:

86yo mom received her first vaccine last Monday. After she receives her 2nd dose, how long do we need to wait before going out to eat in a restaurant? She is eager!

2 weeks
Post removed:
by user
cavscout96
AG
trouble said:

dubi said:

2 weeks

Ugh.... Don't start THAT again.
dubi
AG
What is your answer?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.