B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,094,027 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
Ribbed Paultz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any place to get free COVID-19 testing locally for a person (friend) without insurance? I know there was some free testing event a couple weeks ago. Anything like that going on this weekend?
MBAR
AG
Man to go from 10-15 to over 40 is a pretty substantial jump.
nought
AG
Big increase in Hispanic and 15-19 categories sounds a lot like another quincenera...just a guess.
motherrunnersBCS
Any place to get antibody testing? I am just now able to get up and around.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
FlyRod said:

Or just parties, period. There have been some large ones in my neighborhood.
Agreed. There are lotsa people doing parties or hosting events INSIDE their homes or in confined spaces. This is without a doubt contributing to the large spike. Could be religious services too I suppose.
jeffk
AG
Graduation parties is my guess. We're in 77803 and there's been a ton of house parties around us the last few weeks.
KidDoc
AG
motherrunnersBCS said:

Any place to get antibody testing? I am just now able to get up and around.

Any doc can order it thru St Jo. Not sure what you will do with the information though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nought
AG
KidDoc said:

Any doc can order it thru St Jo. Not sure what you will do with the information though.

If you tested positive for antibodies, and you believed the test were accurate, would you

a) feel more comfortable doing things in public
b) feel less comfortable doing things in public

?
BrazosWifi
nought said:

KidDoc said:

If you tested positive for antibodies, and you believed the test were accurate, would you

?

A. I wouldn't have the fear of inadvertently carrying the disease to someone with a compromised immune system.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
benchmark
AG
To summarize the sudden spike in 118 new cases reported over the last 5 days ...
  • 68% - Hispanic (80)
  • 84% - in Bryan (92)
  • 69% - Community-spread (82)
In perspective, the 82 community-spread cases reported the last 5 days is more than reported over the previous 3 weeks. Call me an untrustful skeptic ... but local residents aren't receiving enough helpful contextual information.
montegobay
My doctor said all local anti-body testing is still very inaccurate.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
nought said:

KidDoc said:

?

Most tests are positive for multiple coronaviruses. A positive test doesn't necessarily indicate you've had SARS-COV-2.

A real negative means you're still vulnerable.
KidDoc
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

nought said:

KidDoc said:

?

Most tests are positive for multiple coronaviruses. A positive test doesn't necessarily indicate you've had SARS-COV-2.

A real negative means you're still vulnerable.
THere is zero data as of today to know what level of antibodies is protective if any. This is data that is built over years and we have < 6 months so far.

So you are welcome to get the test, but it is impossible to know what to do with it right now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
21 new cases
0 new tests
0 deaths
11 in the hospital (+4)

77801 +4
77802 +3
77803 +9
77808 +2
77840 +1
77845 +2

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/6.7.20.pdf
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
trouble
AG
Shouldn't that be +4? We had 7 hospitalized yesterday and no deaths or discharges.
Rapier108
trouble said:

Shouldn't that be +4? We had 7 hospitalized yesterday and no deaths or discharges.
Yeah, you're right. No caffeine yet this morning so just misread the graph. I'll fix it.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
trouble
AG
Quick access to numbers is the only useful thing about the ugly infographic.
ToxicAG
First time I've looked closely at the brazos health data file. Noticed that positivity rate is 17.5% for the last couple of weeks, which is over the cutoff set by the governor at 10%.
curry97
AG
Username checks out. Haven't posted in 5 years I see!
JayMM_02
AG
nought said:

Big increase in Hispanic and 15-19 categories sounds a lot like another quincenera...just a guess.

Is the 25% occupancy limit for wedding venues being strictly enforced, or has the allowed number gone up? Are there # limitations for outside events?
lockett93
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/06/05/some-coronavirus-tests-in-doubt-in-texas-after-lab-turns-up-abnormal-number-of-positives/

Maybe this explains the recent increase in cases and positivity? Someone needs to ask about this at the county press conference tomorrow!
Rapier108
lockett93 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/06/05/some-coronavirus-tests-in-doubt-in-texas-after-lab-turns-up-abnormal-number-of-positives/

Maybe this explains the recent increase in cases and positivity? Someone needs to ask about this at the county press conference tomorrow!
It would be nice if someone did, but our local media has no interest in asking worthwhile questions.
oklaunion
curry97 said:

Username checks out. Haven't posted in 5 years I see!
What does it matter how often he/she posts. They got the math correct, unlike a couple of posts up, initially. And it is a good point regarding the governor's desires.
KidDoc
AG
ToxicAG said:

First time I've looked closely at the brazos health data file. Noticed that positivity rate is 17.5% for the last couple of weeks, which is over the cutoff set by the governor at 10%.

They are testing more asymptomatic cluaters and contacts so not surprising.
Fitch
AG
No dog in the fight here, but I think the target is to stay under 6%. Was 10% a "line in the sand" or something?

ToxicAG
KidDoc said:

ToxicAG said:

I agree that locally we could be seeing an increase in the positivity rate due to bias in the sample population; however, the post showing an elevation in positives despite a flattening in number of tests across the state is concerning. Moreover, a recent article from the Texas Medical Center in Houston stated they are seeing a 2.3% daily increase in COVID ICU bed occupancy and will be full in 2 weeks if the rate stays the same.
BCSWguru
In two weeks, eh?
Rapier108
Quote:

Moreover, a recent article from the Texas Medical Center in Houston stated they are seeing a 2.3% daily increase in COVID ICU bed occupancy and will be full in 2 weeks if the rate stays the same.
No, it did not say that. Let me guess, you read the KPRC headline.

First of all, they were talking about Houston, not the state of Texas.

Second, it was a badly written article. Houston is actually running below normal ICU occupancy levels, and there are multiple hospitals in the Houston area which have almost empty ICUs with no virus patients. The report was saying "BASE ICU capacity" which means the normal numbers. They have the ability to convert a very large number of additional hospital rooms to ICU if needed.

So, what are you trying to say. You want another lock down of the state? You want Brazos County to go full Wuhan? Just spit it out instead of dancing around the edge.
ToxicAG
Yes. It is open for opinion, but when the leaders of the largest and undoubtedly one of the best medical centers in the world say something, I tend to listen.

"Dr. James McDeavitt, Senior Vice President and Dean of Clinical Affairs for the Baylor College of Medicine. "A day in itself is not alarming. The disturbing thing is it seems to be a little bit more every day. It's been a very consistent increase. The center is showing the number of people admitted to the ICU has been climbing for the past week. If it continues at the current rate, then TMC's normal capacity of ICU beds could be exceeded in two weeks and so a warning was triggered. "

https://www.click2houston.com/health/2020/06/05/med-center-sees-uptick-in-covid-19-patients-in-icus-warns-if-trend-continues-capacity-could-be-exceeded-in-2-weeks/
EBrazosAg
AG
There are plenty of other ICU beds in Houston outside the TMC....despite what the medical school folks think. I have no problem with pointing out trends, but those ICUs run near capacity frequently in the winter flu season.
RGRAg1/75
AG
LSCSN said:

In two weeks, eh?

It's been two weeks since the beginning and, apparently, will be two weeks until the end of time.
AggieBaseball06
AG
ToxicAG said:

Yes. It is open for opinion, but when the leaders of the largest and undoubtedly one of the best medical centers in the world say something, I tend to listen.

"Dr. James McDeavitt, Senior Vice President and Dean of Clinical Affairs for the Baylor College of Medicine. "A day in itself is not alarming. The disturbing thing is it seems to be a little bit more every day. It's been a very consistent increase. The center is showing the number of people admitted to the ICU has been climbing for the past week. If it continues at the current rate, then TMC's normal capacity of ICU beds could be exceeded in two weeks and so a warning was triggered. "

https://www.click2houston.com/health/2020/06/05/med-center-sees-uptick-in-covid-19-patients-in-icus-warns-if-trend-continues-capacity-could-be-exceeded-in-2-weeks/

Houston should have thought ahead and built more than one hospital for a city that size. We are doomed if their only hospital fills up in 2 weeks.
75AG
AG
EBrazosAg said:

There are plenty of other ICU beds in Houston outside the TMC....despite what the medical school folks think. I have no problem with pointing out trends, but those ICUs run near capacity frequently in the winter flu season.
I would like to see data on that. And of course, if we have a second wave, and what you said is true, the outlook is dire.
EBrazosAg
AG
Probably not dire. It will challenge. ICU admits for Covid falling as docs get better at treating as a % if overall cases. Good article about it in WSJ today. Don't have the data... other than what a medical education and residency showed me there, plus a few dozen colleagues still practicing there that I talk with. No one publishes their numbers.
Oogway
ToxicAG said:

KidDoc said:

ToxicAG said:

I agree that locally we could be seeing an increase in the positivity rate due to bias in the sample population; however, the post showing an elevation in positives despite a flattening in number of tests across the state is concerning. Moreover, a recent article from the Texas Medical Center in Houston stated they are seeing a 2.3% daily increase in COVID ICU bed occupancy and will be full in 2 weeks if the rate stays the same.
I agree with Rapier108 that the article regarding the hospital capacity was poorly written. The headline was clickbait, but headlines are frequently written separately from the article anyway. While it's true that one doesn't want hospitalizations to rise, there is going to be some back and forth and up and down with that due to cluster outbreaks and the overall picture seems manageable. This virus is going to spread, that's what viruses do. The med centers are watching both the small and larger picture. If you need reassurance, go to the DHS dashboard and look at the hospital data; even in hot spots, the local medical staff are allocating resources to address needs until they can get more information on the source (i.e. a production facility, nursing home, etc) to slow the spread. Remember a slow spread is what the epidemiologists are advising. It's not going to be eliminated, this isn't smallpox.

Please don't take this the wrong way Rapier108, I mean it in the most positive of ways: can you try not to go nuclear on people regarding "Wuhan style lockdown?" This isn't the politics forum and if people have questions, why not lay out the facts like you did in your first paragraph as they might not have the nefarious intentions you are assuming about them?
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.