B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,094,063 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Death is a male in his 80s.

Reduced hospitalizations is good news.
trouble
AG
That's -6 +1 for hospitalizations. According to the ugly infographic
KidDoc
AG
I guess they count hospital transfers as discharges? Not sure but I know of one case that was transferred to TCH.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
KidDoc said:

I guess they count hospital transfers as discharges? Not sure but I know of one case that was transferred to TCH.
No idea.

Kawasaki disease related I guess on the transfer?
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
KidDoc
AG
Rapier108 said:

KidDoc said:

No idea.

No just very very young and no guidelines for treating neonates with fever & COVID.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
That's scary as hell. NICU was scary enough without this damn virus.
Rapier108
KidDoc said:

Rapier108 said:

KidDoc said:

No idea.

No just very very young and no guidelines for treating neonates with fever & COVID.
Good that its not Kawasaki disease, but sad that it's a small child. Was this a case of the child being born with it? I think I've only seen one or two stories about that happening.

And good that we have TCH nearby. I'm sure you know far more about TCH, but from personal experience, they're some of the best. Friend of mine had a daughter born very early. It was seriously enough that the hospital put life flight on standby as soon as she was born, she was life flighted to TCH, and thanks to the doctors there, she's now a happy and healthy 7 year old. They're not in B/CS in case anyone is wondering.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
toolshed
AG
I know of a lady, works in an office with a couple friends, that found out she was positive last Friday. She has a 2-3 month old I think. Hopefully it's not hers, I haven't heard one way or another.
KidDoc
AG
Rapier108 said:

KidDoc said:

Rapier108 said:

KidDoc said:

No idea.

Good that its not Kawasaki disease, but sad that it's a small child. Was this a case of the child being born with it? I think I've only seen one or two stories about that happening.

And good that we have TCH nearby. I'm sure you know far more about TCH, but from personal experience, they're some of the best. Friend of mine had a daughter born very early. It was seriously enough that the hospital put life flight on standby as soon as she was born, she was life flighted to TCH, and thanks to the doctors there, she's now a happy and healthy 7 year old. They're not in B/CS in case anyone is wondering.
Sorry not allowed to share any details due to HIPPA junk.

I trained @ TCH, this was back 1999-2002 so a lot has changed since then but they are a fantastic resource.
benchmark
AG
KidDoc said:

The evidence that masking makes any significant difference is flimsy at best.
Well .... at least we agree about washing our hands and limiting trips to pubic areas.
Rapier108
No worries. The only important thing is the child receives the best care available.
Rapier108
33 new cases
21 new tests
0 deaths
8 in the hospital (-2)

77801 +3
77802 +3
77803 +16
77807 +2
77808 +5
77840 +1
77845 +3

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/6.5.20.pdf

Calls for lockdowns to begin in 3, 2, 1...
toolshed
AG
Not surprising to see the number of cases go up somewhat this week seeing that over 500 tests were done/ report Monday Of this week. As said all along, more testing will reveal more cases, many of whom clear the disease with little to no side effects other than being knocked down physically for several days. And a percentage of that number will be asymptomatic as well.

But I agree, there will be hand wringing...
FlyRod
What's the deal with 77803?
Rapier108
FlyRod said:

What's the deal with 77803?
It's been the hot zone for a while due to Sanderson Farms and the associated spread in the Hispanic community. Same to a lesser degree for 77801, 77808, and probably a little for 77802.
lockett93
AG
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q/edit

Today's results include:

Percentages on the race graphic were the same as yesterday so I'm not sure I trust them.

4 African American
10 Caucasian
16 Hispanic

11 Male, 22 Female

we had:
1 in 90's
1 in 80's
1 in 60's
3 in 50's
8 in 40's
7 in 30's
5 in 20's
6 in 15-19
1 in <15

4 in College Station zips
29 in Bryan zips

13 Community
18 Cluster
EBrazosAg
AG
Most odd part of today to me is the precipitous drop in number of test ... when you match it with the number of positives being high it's obvious something doesn't add up. Today's data doesn't reflect reality... especially the number of test. Each hospital is doing hundreds of test daily. Just for their elective procedures .... not their symptomatic. And that does not count any industrial or healthcare facility testing of residents or staff.
toolshed
AG
524 tests done on Monday, I didn't go back and look at the rest of the week but the tests done were much lower.

3+ days for results, depending on backlog, I'd say the higher cases the last couple or three days reflect that large batch of tests early week.
EBrazosAg
AG
3+ is not hospital performed. They are turning in 12 hr or less consistently. They run 2 batches a day at the Vet School Dx Lab.
Rapier108
EBrazosAg said:

3+ is not hospital performed. They are turning in 12 hr or less consistently. They run 2 batches a day at the Vet School Dx Lab.
State labs most likely.

Sullivan was saying on Monday that they're taking too long.
toolshed
AG
How many of the tests are hospital vs drive through, clinic or otherwise? The two people I know that were tested both didn't get results for 3 days. They were likely sent to the state labs, this the longer lead times.

Again, not giving the full information creates more questions than answers, but in the minds of the powers that be, they deem that necessary. I don't, but I'll leave my opinion out as to why I believe that to be the case.
ontheedge
Are these tests given to anyone? Just curious about the reasons for the testing if no symptoms are present.
benchmark
AG
ontheedge said:

Are these tests given to anyone? Just curious about the reasons for the testing if no symptoms are present.
Some summer activities require a test of some sort before allowing participation. Hospital procedures require a test without symptoms. Maybe new employment or small group participation things?
KidDoc
AG
benchmark said:

ontheedge said:

Some summer activities require a test of some sort before allowing participation. Hospital procedures require a test without symptoms. Maybe new employment or small group participation things?

Yes this.

I just got an email this morning that CHI-St Jo is able to do testing on anyone who wants it (with or without symptoms) as long as they are an established patient. Finally able to do this which was promised in March on the federal level.
toolshed
AG
I think previously, the testing of people with no symptoms was when they tested a facility, like The Parc at Traditions. The management company had the whole facility tested, according to comments here, and people here noted some who were positive but had no symptoms.

In the past, people were turned away, I think because of the shortage of tests initially, then in anticipation of a large need for testing which never materialized. Now I assume they've either gotten enough test kits on hand or realize they aren't seeing the massive projected spike in cases, so they're relaxing the requirements for testing.

My armchair opinion, not a professional.
KidDoc
AG
toolshed said:

I think previously, the testing of people with no symptoms was when they tested a facility, like The Parc at Traditions. The management company had the whole facility tested, according to comments here, and people here noted some who were positive but had no symptoms.

In the past, people were turned away, I think because of the shortage of tests initially, then in anticipation of a large need for testing which never materialized. Now I assume they've either gotten enough test kits on hand or realize they aren't seeing the massive projected spike in cases, so they're relaxing the requirements for testing.

My armchair opinion, not a professional.
We now have enough test kits & PPE. That is the answer from a professional 8)

benchmark
AG
lockett93 said:

13 Community
18 Cluster
I think this should be 21 Community and 12 Cluster. FYI
lockett93
AG
benchmark said:

lockett93 said:

13 Community
18 Cluster
I think this should be 21 Community and 12 Cluster. FYI

Thanks for clarifying. I calculate the numbers from the info graphic and I think they didn't update the right side of the graphic for the English portion. I've now updated the spreadsheet with numbers from the Spanish language page.

Also shows
3 African American
6 Caucasian
24 Hispanic
Rapier108
40 new cases
21 new tests
0 deaths
7 in the hospital (-1)

77801 +6
77802 +1
77803 +17
77807 +4
77808 +3
77840 +4
77845 +6

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/6.6.20.pdf
Fitch
AG
The Eagle

Quote:

Brazos County health officials reported 33 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the number of overall cases in the county to 565.

Brazos County Alternate Health Authority Dr. Seth Sullivan said in a phone interview Friday he's concerned this spike in cases is related to community transmission and recent large indoor gatherings. He added that these cases are separate and not related to established clusters from Parc at Traditions or Sanderson Farms
This is the second-highest single-day number of COVID-19 cases reported in Brazos County since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic. Brazos County has reported 10-plus cases for four consecutive days. Sullivan said he expects the trend of double-digit new daily cases in Brazos County to continue.
Any insights what indoor gatherings are being referenced? I was under the impression most conferences, conventions or like had been nixed for the summer.
trouble
AG
I assume he means church services but it would be nice if he'd just come out and say it.
Rapier108
Quote:

Any insights what indoor gatherings are being referenced? I was under the impression most conferences, conventions or like had been nixed for the summer.
Since the numbers still seem to be majority Hispanic, I would guess some parties/celebrations which tend to draw large crowds.

And now of course we have the "protests" which apparently make one immune to coronavirus since so many public health officials are saying those gathering are perfectly okay, but no other kind are.
Fitch
AG
Makes sense I guess. I had to cancel a conference we were going to host in July in town, given campus was shut down, so I was surprised to see references to 'large gatherings'.
curry97
AG
Graduation parties?
FlyRod
Or just parties, period. There have been some large ones in my neighborhood.
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.