Brazos County, B/CS Announces Shelter In Place

31,070 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rapier108
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rapier108 said:

nthomas99 said:

Get comfy folks! The President just extended the nationwide social distancing guidelines until April 30. Brazos County shelter in place extension in 3...2...1...
An extension was already coming.

The real question is how draconian can they go.

Way too many people calling the cops today, either because they think too many people are gathered together, or because they think a business that is open is "not essential" and wants to cops to shut it down.

Yep, saw two CSPD units respond to break up a group of kids playing an illegal pick-up basketball game today...

Leonidas
AG
Excellent use of resources and taxpayer money...
threecatcorner
It may be different for different grade levels, or maybe your kids are in a different school district, but I didn't see anything that needed to be turned in, just some optional ungraded stuff that kids could do.
Stupe
S
Are you referring to the PD responding or to the fact that they had to respond?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
GSS said:

Plan a school restart 1 May, run through end of June.
Assuming the state somehow agrees to cooperate/coordinate.

Or even later restart/finish, if needed.
This.

At the current rate I don't think there is any way you can pass a bunch of these kids on to the next grade level and feel good about it. Some of these kids are doing the work, others are just having parents do the work, others aren't getting any teaching at all being done to them.

They are going to have to start school back up at some point even if its a June 15th start date running through August 1st or something. Maybe they can give kids who were able to learn during this time an option to test out of things so they don't have to do the school but lotsa kids are going to need that classroom time before they get passed to the next grade.
nthomas99
AG
Good news - only two new cases, and one new hospitalization.

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/3.30.30_1.pdf

We need at least a few days more worth of data, but it's promising to see the curve's slope flattening out a good bit.
GSS
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

GSS said:

This.

At the current rate I don't think there is any way you can pass a bunch of these kids on to the next grade level and feel good about it. Some of these kids are doing the work, others are just having parents do the work, others aren't getting any teaching at all being done to them.

They are going to have to start school back up at some point even if its a June 15th start date running through August 1st or something. Maybe they can give kids who were able to learn during this time an option to test out of things so they don't have to do the school but lotsa kids are going to need that classroom time before they get passed to the next grade.

Or let school and state officials tell us why this couldn't / shouldn't happen...versus the "solution" underway.
johnnyblaze36
AG
cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

nthomas99 said:

Get comfy folks! The President just extended the nationwide social distancing guidelines until April 30. Brazos County shelter in place extension in 3...2...1...

Way too many people calling the cops today, either because they think too many people are gathered together, or because they think a business that is open is "not essential" and wants to cops to shut it down.

Yep, saw two CSPD units respond to break up a group of kids playing an illegal pick-up basketball game today...

You've gotta be ****ting me.
Rapier108
johnnyblaze36 said:

cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

nthomas99 said:

I'd bet anything it happened.

Numerous calls yesterday for people being outside in groups that the callers thought were too large.

One call even for the police to go close down a business that the caller thought was "not essential."
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Muzzleblast
Leon County has a whole 1 case.

Just declared a shelter in place "order".

Unless we've suspended the Constitution, they can't order anything of the sort.

Government can issue guidelines but good luck trying to enforce this.

We all should be calling our County Judges and tell them to knock it off with the phony orders and scaring people.

Folks need jobs.
cavscout96
AG
Rapier108 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

nthomas99 said:

Numerous calls yesterday for people being outside in groups that the callers thought were too large.

One call even for the police to go close down a business that the caller thought was "not essential."
I saw it with my own 2 eyes
Jbob04
AG
Yes, this is stupid.
happyinBCS
I think you are absolutely correct and my worry all along is WHEN will there be an end date? we could go to over 30% unemployment before National, state and county governments all agree to open the doors back up on businesses
Rapier108
cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

nthomas99 said:

I saw it with my own 2 eyes
I believe you 100%.

People around here have gone insane.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
theNetSmith
AG

Quote:

I get that teachers didn't have a say in how all of this went down, but it's ridiculous to think that we, as working parents, can just absorb another full time role while the teachers are just chilling at home monitoring FB and checking a few boxes here and there to keep up with who is participating and who isn't, all while retaining their full rate of pay because it comes from taxes, which don't stop. Decisions like this are easy when the money you're spending come from taxes and not goods that are produced and sold on the open market (IOW, you don't work, you don't get paid).

If you truly believe what you said above, then you, sir or madam, are absolutely clueless and/or ill-informed.

My girlfriend is one of those elementary schoolteachers that you refer to. She is a single parent of 2 children, one of whom has autism (and not "highly functioning" autism). Her "chilling at home" consists of (a) being responsible for the remote instruction of her students, (b) ensuring that her own children are continuing to participate in and complete their school assignments, and (c) the general maintaining of her household (you know, cooking and cleaning, etc.). On top of all of that, both she and one of her children have medical conditions that would put their lives in grave danger if they were to contract the c-virus, which adds an enormous additional layer of stress on her.

What's ridiculous is your assertion that, with the shutdown of schools, all teachers are just sitting around, eating bon-bons, and collecting a paycheck for doing nothing.
Rapier108
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Aggieland-Safari-closed-Brazos-County-Sheriffs-Office-569319711.html

As usual, one jackass ran to the cops.

Did we suddenly time warp a bunch of people from East Germany into Brazos County?
Oogway
Rapier108 said:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Aggieland-Safari-closed-Brazos-County-Sheriffs-Office-569319711.html

As usual, one jackass ran to the cops.

Did we suddenly time warp a bunch of people from East Germany into Brazos County?

Is their competition open? Unless the complainant stepped forward, one has no idea who called other than someone voiced a complaint about operating in violation of the state order. The BCSO has to investigate as such.

If you believe that 'snitching on the neighbors' behavior only existed in East Germany prior to this recent pandemic, you may not live in a neighborhood with an HOA? Or belong to NextDoor?

nought
AG
People on nextdoor are openly calling for everyone to report things like kids playing basketball, boyfriend/girlfriend walking down the sidewalk holding hands, neighbor stopping by another neighbor's house, etc.

So I have this idea. Since the kids can't play basketball, we can get them to help with this effort. They can walk around the neighborhood (staying 6 feet away from each other of course), and write down or call in any and all violations they observe. This will keep them occupied and will help keep our community safer during this crisis. We can probably even deputize the older ones to cut down the number of times CSPD has to send the black-and-whites rolling in to save the day. The older ones can directly break up gatherings and issue citations.

So that concerned neighbors peeping through their blinds will know that these are not the bad kids trying to play outside games and instead are the good kids helping maintain the safety of our population, we need some way to identify them as authorized to do this. I know -- let's get them arm bands and some brown shirts and black shorts for this warm weather we're having.
Rapier108
People are calling the cops for anything they see, without having a clue.

A bunch of kids are playing outside a house, cops are called, cops show up, find out all the kids live there.

Cops are called because they see someone inside a business that they have decided is "non-essential." Cops arrive an find the owner inside, doors are locked, he's working on stuff by himself. The business is not open to the public and all employees are no longer coming in.

Cops are again called on a business. They arrive and find out it is a pizza delivery shop which is clearly allowed to be open.

There are way too many people who want to be the town police when it comes to what people can and can't do. It's one thing if there is a party with 30-50 students at one house (that actually happened), but calling the cops on everyone you see for the slightest excuse is going way too far.
cavscout96
AG
nought said:

People on nextdoor are openly calling for everyone to report things like kids playing basketball, boyfriend/girlfriend walking down the sidewalk holding hands, neighbor stopping by another neighbor's house, etc.

So I have this idea. Since the kids can't play basketball, we can get them to help with this effort. They can walk around the neighborhood (staying 6 feet away from each other of course), and write down or call in any and all violations they observe. This will keep them occupied and will help keep our community safer during this crisis. We can probably even deputize the older ones to cut down the number of times CSPD has to send the black-and-whites rolling in to save the day. The older ones can directly break up gatherings and issue citations.

So that concerned neighbors peeping through their blinds will know that these are not the bad kids trying to play outside games and instead are the good kids helping maintain the safety of our population, we need some way to identify them as authorized to do this. I know -- let's get them arm bands and some brown shirts and black shorts for this warm weather we're having.
Hitlerjunge?
cavscout96
AG
Rapier108 said:

A bunch of kids are playing outside a house, cops are called, cops show up, find out all the kids live there.

Cops are called because they see someone inside a business that they have decided is "non-essential." Cops arrive an find the owner inside, doors are locked, he's working on stuff by himself. The business is not open to the public and all employees are no longer coming in.

Cops are again called on a business. They arrive and find out it is a pizza delivery shop which is clearly allowed to be open.

There are way too many people who want to be the town police when it comes to what people can and can't do. It's one thing if there is a party with 30-50 students at one house (that actually happened), but calling the cops on everyone you see for the slightest excuse is going way too far.
just heard a call of "five college students jogging together."
isitjustme
AG
Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!!

Only works with a Gomer Pyle drawl.
Rapier108
cavscout96 said:

Rapier108 said:

just heard a call of "five college students jogging together."
I see that many all the time. Surprised the cops don't get hundreds of those calls a day.

The order says 10 or less so people need to back off.
dgonzo99
theNetSmith said:

Quote:

I get that teachers didn't have a say in how all of this went down, but it's ridiculous to think that we, as working parents, can just absorb another full time role while the teachers are just chilling at home monitoring FB and checking a few boxes here and there to keep up with who is participating and who isn't, all while retaining their full rate of pay because it comes from taxes, which don't stop. Decisions like this are easy when the money you're spending come from taxes and not goods that are produced and sold on the open market (IOW, you don't work, you don't get paid).

If you truly believe what you said above, then you, sir or madam, are absolutely clueless and/or ill-informed.

My girlfriend is one of those elementary schoolteachers that you refer to. She is a single parent of 2 children, one of whom has autism (and not "highly functioning" autism). Her "chilling at home" consists of (a) being responsible for the remote instruction of her students, (b) ensuring that her own children are continuing to participate in and complete their school assignments, and (c) the general maintaining of her household (you know, cooking and cleaning, etc.). On top of all of that, both she and one of her children have medical conditions that would put their lives in grave danger if they were to contract the c-virus, which adds an enormous additional layer of stress on her.

What's ridiculous is your assertion that, with the shutdown of schools, all teachers are just sitting around, eating bon-bons, and collecting a paycheck for doing nothing.
I guess that I am so old, that I remember when all the parents were respectful of the job that teachers do. When you add in all the extra time teachers spend planning school activities and staying up late to grade papers; they are severely underpaid.
kevmiller
GSS said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

GSS said:

This.

Or let school and state officials tell us why this couldn't / shouldn't happen...versus the "solution" underway.

School won't extend to June/ July
It's not that simple to just " push everything back"

Teachers and students are working, teachers are getting paid( as they should)
Teachers contracts come into effect if extended.
Teachers also only get paid 9 months of the year. Where would all the extra $ to pay teachers come from?

There are plenty of scenarios but school going into June / July won't happen
GSS
What's also "not simple" is the current fiasco, based on a sincere effort to react to the closed schools. Time has exposed the flaws of "online schooling", in the manner available on such incredibly short notice.
The Texas Legislature and Governor could address every issue that has been mentioned (extending the semester), if they get busy.
Oogway
Apologies, I did not realize people were taking it that far. But the busybodies and nosy folks have always been with us, they just have a little more power now. Crazy times!
txgardengirl
Just going to throw in I believe most local schools had make it through the TEKS

April is STAAR month - EOC tests would be happening now.

And, we all know May is catch up to finish/end of year activities.

I really don't think most kids are missing a ton of instructional hours that can't be recovered in the fall if it comes down to it.

Many states have called the school year at this point.
GSS
txgardengirl said:

Just going to throw in I believe most local schools had make it through the TEKS

I really don't think most kids are missing a ton of instructional hours that can't be recovered in the fall if it comes down to it.

Half of March, all of April, whatever portion of May...and maybe those hours, via some convoluted process, can be made up in the fall? After grade level changes have occurred?

I know there's "teaching to the test" time, but the STAAR schedule simply does NOT consume the month of April:
Testing schedule-TEA

Throwing in the towel, without at least having state-level discussions of possible options, seems horrible. Texas does have a rainy-day fund...
FNG
GSS said:

txgardengirl said:

Half of March, all of April, whatever portion of May...and maybe those hours, via some convoluted process, can be made up in the fall? After grade level changes have occurred?

I know there's "teaching to the test" time, but the STAAR schedule simply does NOT consume the month of April:
Testing schedule-TEA

Throwing in the towel, without at least having state-level discussions of possible options, seems horrible. Texas does have a rainy-day fund...

If this isn't our rainy day, I'm not sure what is.
aggielawyer00
AG
Please explain to me how the "rainy day fund" would help with this. Legitimate question as I truly do not know.
isitjustme
AG
aggielawyer00 said:

Please explain to me how the "rainy day fund" would help with this. Legitimate question as I truly do not know.

If revenues to the state are way down, like because oil royalties or sales taxes are way down, then the rainy day fund can help balance that out. Or, if state expenditures are way up due to increased health care expenditures, then the rainy day fund can help balance that out. The CARES act will take care of some increased expenditures like unemployment, food and nutrition assistance, and medical-related, but It probably doesn't address other expenses or the above revenue shortfalls.

Texas will likely be in a budget bind in the next few months and maybe for a while. That's what the rainy day fund is for, and it's raining!!
FlyRod
Guessing (hoping?) that when this passes, the mass reaction to cabin fever will result in an equally huge mass demand for energy, and that sector will rebound fast. Pure hope on my part, but that's all I got.
happyinBCS
I am taking a road trip to Colorado in May so I will burn some fuel to help the cause
nthomas99
AG
Good news. Only three (3) new cases and seven (7) new recoveries. So a net reduction in active cases. This thing is definitely nowhere close to done, but I'll take a little good news.

Also, the health district is now reporting the number of test performed:

https://twitter.com/BrazosCoHD/status/1246477977283710978/photo/1

As of today 1,468. Assuming no duplicate tests on individuals (which is maybe/probably wrong), 5% positive rate. Google says we're around 223K population, so about 0.6% tested.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.