Brazos County, B/CS Announces Shelter In Place

30,667 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rapier108
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So are construction sites open?

And are nail salons closed?

Cause if that's the case the construction of a nail salon is some nice irony.
Rapier108
About to get extended since someone died.

And we're about to see the police enforcing the order much more heavy handed. Mayors even hinting about the National Guard. I would not be surprised if they go to a full lock down.

KBTX trying to get the county to drop the hammer on churches if some members are meeting at people's homes.

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
nthomas99
AG
Yes, on Brazos Count Health District livestream, CS mayor just said that yes it will, and council will discuss on Monday the exact timeframe.
isitjustme
AG
Rapier108 said:

About to get extended since someone died.
Yes, a man in his 80s who was so on hospice care, meaning he was at the end of his life. Covid19 may have shortened his life by a few months,weeks, days, or hours. Still, it underlines the horrible impact this virus can have on people with underlying health conditions and compromised immunity.

I agree that the shelter in place order will be extended, but probably more because of the model cited in today's press conference, and the desire to make sure the slope of the positive results curve is not as steep.
Rapier108
Local media pushing so hard for them to go for a full lockdown.

All they're going to do is drive everyone to the stores, again, because they're inciting panic.

The mayors are blaming this mostly on the college students and other young people for the spread.

Mayors implying we're about to be Italy or New York so that pretty much confirms that they're going to go full lock down rather than just "shelter in place."
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
cz308
Rapier108 said:

Local media pushing so hard for them to go for a full lockdown.

All they're going to do is drive everyone to the stores, again, because they're inciting panic.
Understandably because the citizens are not taking this seriously enough. WE are going to the be the reason we go into lockdown if that does happen.
isitjustme
AG
Actually, bill oliver at wtaw is the only one really pushing for a lockdown, but he is pushing hard.
Rapier108
agrab86 said:

Actually, bill oliver at wtaw is the only one really pushing for a lockdown, but he is pushing hard.
And the elected officials are going right along with it.

Hell, the BCHD guy just said "Wuhan style lock down."
Cartographer
We need to force a tax freeze for the entire county and a sales tax holiday for the county.

See how fast they give us real data. This is almost propaganda.

In fact it's absurd that he literally said this model doesn't take into account the social distancing measure.
cslifer
He used the term in reference to data modeling, not as a suggestion.
cslifer
How do you propose to do that?
BCSWguru
Wiping will be fun this week.
Cartographer
Petition, get on the city council meeting agendas, directly confront them via email and phone.

The same way other changes get made.
isitjustme
AG
Rapier108 said:

agrab86 said:

I think Nelson said they are reviewing it daily, and they may need to strengthen, maintain, or loosen the order. I think maintaining is most likely followed by strengthening.

I'm more concerned about Nelson's push for an intra-Texas travel ban/14-day quarantine following travel around the state. If one is practicing appropriate social distancing recommendations, what does it matter if the person is in B-CS, Austin, Nacogdoches, Houston, or wherever?
angus55
agrab86 said:

Rapier108 said:

agrab86 said:

I think Nelson said they are reviewing it daily, and they may need to strengthen, maintain, or loosen the order. I think maintaining is most likely followed by strengthening.

I'm more concerned about Nelson's push for an intra-Texas travel ban/14-day quarantine following travel around the state. If one is practicing appropriate social distancing recommendations, what does it matter if the person is in B-CS, Austin, Nacogdoches, Houston, or wherever?

I am too. I don't know who the hell the mayor thinks he is, but that is the egregious part of the PC followed by Wuhan style lockdown. So many useful idiots screaming for their rights to be taken away. Ben Franklin would be ashamed.
FlyRod
Sadly the uptick correlates in large part with St, Patrick's day when Northgate was very, very busy.

I hope we get smart, come together as the great community we are, and beat this thing, and understand we're in for the long haul.
isitjustme
AG
Interesting theory. I'd be curious to know how many of the positive tests either attended the st. pat's day event, or are an acquaintance of someone who did.
AgGunNut
AG
It also correlates with Spring Break...
FlyRod
Troubled by the med report that our community has the worst "virus attack rate" in the state (KBTX). Hopefully things will become clearer soon.
Oogway
Once it was in the community, then performing the contact tracing would get harder. The first case was reported on March 17 in a rather unlucky coincidence. Since the testing here is so limited, we'll probably never know the answer to your question. With asymptomatic spread and the amount of families that traveled to and fro for Spring Break, students, and business/university travel, it wouldn't be a surprise if there were multiple 'patient zeroes' for BCS.
Wicked Good Ag
FlyRod said:

Sadly the uptick correlates in large part with St, Patrick's day when Northgate was very, very busy.

I hope we get smart, come together as the great community we are, and beat this thing, and understand we're in for the long haul.

Mo's had hundreds of people from what I was told by others who attended or reported on texags in some fashion
nthomas99
AG
FlyRod said:

Troubled by the med report that our community has the worst "virus attack rate" in the state (KBTX). Hopefully things will become clearer soon.

Yes, but it's really hard to draw that as a conclusion without an overlay of the number of people being tested per today, which he said(and has been reiterated on social media) that they don't know. How realistic is a model that doesn't take this into account? If that's upticking at a high enough rate, can you really say the virus is spreading at a higher rate?

Take the extreme case, all the residents of B/CS all get tested tomorrow. Of course confirmed cases then sky rocket, but have things really changed? I am not an expert, I'm just asking the obvious statistical questions.

I'm not saying this isn't extremely serious. I'm not saying people shouldn't do what they're asking us to do right now (my family certainly is). But you've got him talking of "wuhan style" lockdowns and general threats of more infringement on our freedom of movement. Don't they at the very least owe us some better data? Isn't that the implied social contract here? I mean, this is a relatively educated community. I would think more transparency and more data would lead to much greater compliance.
curry97
AG
What is the rate? Did he include facts to back up that statement?
nthomas99
AG
curry97 said:

The positive test rate? Watch around 50 minutes mark. He says he "thinks" it's in the 3%-5% range. But it's clear from what he says after (where he admits they don't have a firm number on the tests that have been administered), they really don't know.

https://www.facebook.com/143541772383408/videos/585281052079080

I don't think he's disingenuous or deceitful, but I don't understand how any models means much without normalizing the confirmed cases by the number of tests that have been performed. Someone more educated on the matter than me, please explain.
FlyRod
I agree with the calls for more transparency. I think I big problem here is we still know so little that's certain about this thing. Stay 6 or 15 feet away from people? How long does it linger where? How do I know I haven't had it and recovered?

The randomness of it is what bothers me the most; story after story of healthy young people going from 0-100 (worst case) very fast.

I hope we get clarity soon. And I cannot express my gratitude to all the people on the front lines in this strongly enough.
Rapier108
nthomas99 said:

curry97 said:

The positive test rate? Watch around 50 minutes mark. He says he "thinks" it's in the 3%-5% range. But it's clear from what he says after (where he admits they don't have a firm number on the tests that have been administered), they really don't know.

https://www.facebook.com/143541772383408/videos/585281052079080

I don't think he's disingenuous or deceitful, but I don't understand how any models means much without normalizing the confirmed cases by the number of tests that have been performed. Someone more educated on the matter than me, please explain.
I don't know about New York since that might throw the results off, but in Washington, the percentage is about 7%-8%, having dropped from a high of over 25% at the very beginning due to the nursing home.

Washington has been really good at putting out information about their testing results.
Rapier108
The problem with even saying "Wuhan Style Lock Down" is it does nothing but instill panic among the population.

People are going to think martial law and no longer to even be able to go out for food.

They just need to be careful with the way they say things because right now, it will take almost nothing to incite a panic. They said they don't want people rushing the stores, but all it takes is one word of phrase, and that is exactly what will happen.
Carnwellag2
agrab86 said:

disappointing but not surprising. Seems the media is really trying to promote hysteria at all levels.

-is a lockdown even legal/ constitutional?

-should givernment employees (professors. administrators. teachers/ city/county employees) stop drawing a paycheck to mirror the private sector? seems like decisions are easy when your livelihood isn't effected.

Cartographer
I believe by declaring a disaster at the federal, state, and local level they are granted the ability to create a "lockdown" order. Consistently, this is supposed to be to protect citizens from imminent danger.

And in my opinion, non essential should. I am not trying to be a jerk but if they're literally shutting down the people who pay their bills they should find a way to cut their payroll.

Wishful thinking though. The private sector can suffer this but not the public sector.
JaneDoe02
AG
I have a relative that lives at the Isle Assisted Living in Bryan. She's not there, we pulled her out on the 18th.

I got a letter in the mail today stating that a staff member there has tested positive and was last at work on the 16th.

Scary
Rapier108
Just from listening to Broadcastiry, a lot of people calling the police today to report their neighbors, and even because they drive by a location and see people outside.

Kids playing outside, people at a park, group walking down the sidewalk, etc. etc. etc.

I feel like I'm living in East Germany or the Soviet Union with the way people are willing to report their neighbors to the government.
Cartographer
I really appreciate their concern. Are they sending units? It's not okay to do that even if they think people are in the wrong.
Rapier108
panduh bear said:

I really appreciate their concern. Are they sending units? It's not okay to do that even if they think people are in the wrong.
Yes, they do respond to the calls, but its not a high level response. If they're busy with something else, it takes a back seat.
Leonidas
AG
Typical politicians.....make policy with incomplete information. Snowflake population ready to panic despite lack of said data. Perfect storm.
Rapier108
Leonidas said:

Typical politicians.....make policy with incomplete information. Snowflake population ready to panic despite lack of said data. Perfect storm.
I'd bet they're using that "CovidActNow" website, which no one should use.

It is not run by a doctor, a virologist, epidemiologist, or anyone with a medical background.

It is run by a group composed of Democrat elected officials, Democrat party activists, and some tech industry people who are big Democrat donors. Their doomsday predictions have not come true, but mayors and governors are still using them. There are plenty of other sources for information that was run by people with actual training and experience in diseases.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.