Brazos County, B/CS Announces Shelter In Place

30,958 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rapier108
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

This literally changes "essentially" nothing, but it WILL cause panic and runs on stores.
And KBTX right now has the mayors of both cities on telling people not to do this, but this order will result in just more panic buying.

And they're using Dallas and Austin as their guide for how to proceed. Dallas has already hinted this might go on for months.

Said that economic matters/considerations don't matter in this decision.

And they just said this will go on for at least a month if not longer so their 14 days was always BS.

When asked if they would go farther and impose a "lock down" on the cities, they dodged the question but just said that if people do not do what they're told, then they'll see where it goes.
Is serfdom back in fashion? I thought that went out the door centuries ago....
FlyRod
The problem was, people in BCS did not take social distancing seriously. Even today before the shelter in place order, I drove past Farm Patch and people were packed in like sardines. As much as people have their tails in a twist, shelter in place will not even remotely be enough to stop this.

As my friends in public health have been telling me for weeks, this virus is different. It's very communicable. It's becoming more lethal (not just the elderly and ill). We haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg here yet.
cavscout96
AG
[We are not going to allow Bryan vs College Station posts on this board. -Staff]
BCStalk
Yet all those places will remain open. So the point of the shelter in place is?
saltydog13
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

This literally changes "essentially" nothing, but it WILL cause panic and runs on stores.
And KBTX right now has the mayors of both cities on telling people not to do this, but this order will result in just more panic buying.

And they're using Dallas and Austin as their guide for how to proceed. Dallas has already hinted this might go on for months.

Said that economic matters/considerations don't matter in this decision.

And they just said this will go on for at least a month if not longer so their 14 days was always BS.

When asked if they would go farther and impose a "lock down" on the cities, they dodged the question but just said that if people do not do what they're told, then they'll see where it goes.

So people that are waiting to go back to work that can't work from home are SOL
GSS
The mayors and judge were either clueless, didn't care, or maybe just wanted to look important and be like "the big cities", to proclaim a "shelter-in-place" that will do little other than cause another now obvious run on goods.

Mis-information was spread on social media faster than the virus ever could among the population...
jac4
AG
Anyone know if moving companies are still open for business?
cavscout96
AG
GSS said:

The mayors and judge were either clueless, didn't care, or maybe just wanted to look important and be like "the big cities", to proclaim a "shelter-in-place" that will do little other than cause another now obvious run on goods.

Mis-information was spread on social media faster than the virus ever could among the population...
Nooooooo.... I can't imagine....
cz308
FlyRod said:

The problem was, people in BCS did not take social distancing seriously. Even today before the shelter in place order, I drove past Farm Patch and people were packed in like sardines. As much as people have their tails in a twist, shelter in place will not even remotely be enough to stop this.
This right here 100%. Everyone will just continue to complain when the restrictions get tighter, but yet they could have all prevented it just by limiting their behaviors in the first place.
rodan85
AG
merc
AG
I feel like it is easier to list the buisnesses considered non essential than those who consider themselves essential. Way to many people still out and working together imo but my opinion is not worth much so /shrug
cz308
rodan85 said:

jac4 said:

Anyone know if moving companies are still open for business?
My brother just got a job for Uhaul and they are considered essential.
The entire university is still functioning in some manner and there are still students walking around the hallways and labs.
Moxie
AG
merc said:

I feel like it is easier to list the buisnesses considered non essential than those who consider themselves essential. Way to many people still out and working together imo but my opinion is not worth much so /shrug
I believe it takes effect tonight at 9pm.
BCStalk
Lowe's is packed full of "essential" shoppers
taxpreparer
AG

Quote:

I believe it takes effect tonight at 9pm.
Exactly! If this was so vital;, why delay it?

We are canceling appointments, but still in the office to accept tax info for preparing our clients' returns, and to process payrolls for business clients (an essential service.)
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
WestTexasAg04
AG
One of the best examples of "username checks out" that I've seen.
cz308
BCStalk said:

Morons I swear.
Stupe
S
GSS said:

Which is why people don't need to say that these terms are "interchangeable" or "semantics".

• Shelter-In-Place
  • Lock-down
  • Quarantine

They are not and people using them incorrectly can cause problems.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
cz308 said:

BCStalk said:

Morons I swear.

I hate to be selfish, but my ability to pay the mortgage and all my other bills relies heavily on people buying things at stores like Lowe's.

Hopefully they're taking proper precautions.
saltydog13
AG
Yep. Just use common sense, but things can't come to a complete stand still. That'll make things even worse. People need to be able to go to work to pay the bills and afford groceries
cavscout96
AG
Stupe said:

GSS said:

Which is why people don't need to say that these terms are "interchangeable" or "semantics".

• Shelter-In-Place
  • Lock-down
  • Quarantine

They are not and people using them incorrectly can cause problems.
I think a this is better stated as these things all mean different things to different people, depending on context.

Until they are defined, like the were in ORDER #2 yesterday, there is a ton of conjecture on what they actually mean, at least to the average Joe/Jane.
Stupe
S
There is no "context" and it's not up to the individual person to decide what it means to them.

Right now, people can still come and go as the please for the most part, including travel to other counties. (B/CS right now)

If it was a city or county lock-down / lock-out, they could not leave or enter a designated area. (Galveston before and after Ike)

If it was a quarantine, they could be restricted to their house.

People not understanding the meaning doesn't change the fact that they don't get to use context or have "different meanings to different people"...and that's where the confusion is.

The thing about "shelter-in-place" is that it doesn't really change much. However, it can be used as a step towards a lock-down / lock-out.

Stupe
S
For the record, I'm not arguing just to be correct.

I have been in EOC planning meetings for disasters and there are separate terms for a lot of reasons.
People need to be crystal clear on what the terms mean, how they should react, and not use them if they don't know what they are saying.

One of the biggest issues we had with Katrina, Rita, and Ike were people in the Greater Houston area not listening to the designations of their areas and clogging the freeways up. That caused a lot of direct emergencies (heat) and indirect emergencies (MVA's, cardiac, diabetic, respiratory, etc... ) because emergency apparatus couldn't reach people.

For Ike, people not leaving the island and then getting told "no" when they called 911 because it was locked down resulted in numerous deaths and missing persons who never even had their bodies recovered.

People deciding on their own what those designations mean to them have been deadly.
cavscout96
AG
Stupe said:

For the record, I'm not arguing just to be correct.

I have been in EOC planning meetings for disasters and there are separate terms for a lot of reasons.
People need to be crystal clear on what the terms mean, how they should react, and not use them if they don't know what they are saying.

One of the biggest issues we had with Katrina, Rita, and Ike were people in the Greater Houston area not listening to the designations of their areas and clogging the freeways up. That caused a lot of direct emergencies (heat) and indirect emergencies (MVA's, cardiac, diabetic, respiratory, etc... ) because emergency apparatus couldn't reach people.

For Ike, people not leaving the island and then getting told "no" when they called 911 because it was locked down resulted in numerous deaths and missing persons who never even had their bodies recovered.

People deciding on their own what those designations mean to them have been deadly.
I think we are essentially agreeing. my point here is that people DON'T KNOW the difference so they are often used interchangeably by the layman. Leading to confusion and panic,

THUS, it is INCUMBENT on the LEADERSHIP to clearly explain what the terms mean. That didn't go so well in this instance IMO.

The average Joe, generally speaking, doesn't know the difference. Regardless of whether it is crystal clear in the EOC to all of the EM people, if John and Jenny don;t get it. It is of little use.
Stupe
S
When you put it that way, I agree.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I just drove by the campus golf course and it looked like the Wild West.
Rapier108
I was shocked when I drove by HEB and Wal-Mart in Bryan. Neither was crowded at all. Looked at most like any normal day.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
nthomas99
AG
Rapier108 said:

I was shocked when I drove by HEB and Wal-Mart in Bryan. Neither was crowded at all. Looked at most like any normal day.

I was at Sam's around 4:45pm today. It was downright empty with just a handful of shoppers. And they had toilet paper! It's a Christmas miracle.
AgsWin2011
AG
Went to get my haircut today during lunch. Figured barber shops and salons aren't considered essential and I couldn't wait for 2 or more weeks to get one since I'm still working at the office.

I assume places like Academy and Best Buy will be closed. What about places like Lowe's and Home Depot? They have construction tools and materials. Construction is listed as essential.
BCStalk
Lowe's is open and staying open. Joanns Fabric as well from what they told me.
etmydst
AG
[We have made it clear that we are not going to allow posts that are insulting or have name calling to stay up and it doesn't matter if it is directed at a single poster or group. This board will remain respectful. -Staff]
GSS

Lines at HEB and Kroger this morning, waiting for them to open. Afternoon traffic gets the leftovers....which doesn't take long.
BCStalk
GSS said:

Lines at HEB and Kroger this morning, waiting for them to open. Afternoon traffic gets the leftovers....which doesn't take long.

This is what I saw this morning as well
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Cartographer
made a tp run this morning to HEB tower point. Had TP, a line, and tight controls. The only thing they didn't have on the list was all purpose flour.

We're doomed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.