Brazos County, B/CS Announces Shelter In Place

31,047 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rapier108
Psychag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My concerns are Joe citizen calling in neighbors or whoever they see not conforming to Joe Citizen's perceptions of lockdown/ shelter in place.
isitjustme
AG
A few hours ago, city of Bryan put out a press release re-emphasizing the rules and asking people to call BPD on the non-emergency line if they see violations. It was reposted to nextdoor.com to the Bryan neighborhoods. Not a big fan of their request.
Rapier108
Psychag said:

My concerns are Joe citizen calling in neighbors or whoever they see not conforming to Joe Citizen's perceptions of lockdown/ shelter in place.
Yep, because Joe Citizen dones't even know what is going on.

He sees some kids playing out in the front yard, and call the cops. Police arrive and find out all of the kids live there, so there is nothing wrong going on.

And they just had another one. Some "passerby" reported some kids outside at a park.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Psychag
AG
Yep. My thoughts exactly. Imagine the reports from panicked citizens? The leaders of this community should be the model of calm, rational thinking. Obviously not.
Carnwellag2
Leonidas said:

Typical politicians.....make policy with incomplete information. Snowflake population ready to panic despite lack of said data. Perfect storm.

agreed - they think they can't be held accountable for going to the extreme on shutdowns/ lockdowns/ cancellations/ all online classes/ etc.

they should be held accountable for the destruction that is in their wake.

moving to online classes for TAMU in summer session = most students not in town = many businesses having to close.
saltydog13
AG
I would just like for people to quit hoarding groceries for no damn reason at all
nthomas99
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

-should givernment employees (professors. administrators. teachers/ city/county employees) stop drawing a paycheck to mirror the private sector? seems like decisions are easy when your livelihood isn't effected.

I don't think there's an easy or uniform answer to this question. I assure you the average professor (my wife is one of them) has put in far more hours than usual since this began, preparing to start remote teaching this last week and getting grad students etc adjusted to keep working as possible under the new norm. But certainly some of the other positions you've mentioned aren't stretched in the same ways right now.

Of course, nothing will change while this keeps going. However, when it ends, I hope there's a post game analysis to identify those that stepped up and those that dropped the ball for one reason or another. Society is inevitably going to change at least some deal after this. Some companies will realize they can do more remote and will do so. I think many will re-evaluate their family's participation in the public school system. I hope we all don't accept this kind of government imposition on our lives as the norm and demand more data driven and precise rules to guide these actions.

Blame whoever you want, but we got caught with our pants down on this one, and we need to take reasonable measures to ensure any level of lockdowns is avoided to the greatest degree and that the inability of some of our public agencies to adapt is rectified.
Gap
AG
A part of the way out of this was and always has been developing herd immunity. Singapore and South Korea have had much better results than almost any other countries by asking for social distancing but not having the extreme lockdowns we are seeing in the US.

The CDC (i.e. scientists and doctors) never even recommended that schools in places like Texas with no outbreak close down and go remote.
Leonidas
AG
Yes you can't prevent exposure at some point
Carnwellag2
Ga said:

The CDC (i.e. scientists and doctors) never even recommended that schools in places like Texas with no outbreak close down and go remote.
then why did they close and go remote
Gap
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

Ga said:

then why did they close and go remote
The first sentence of the order shutting the school doors doesn't usually reference a CDC recommendation but it begins with "out of an abundance of caution".

If you are interested, here are the CDC recommendations:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/considerations-for-school-closure.pdf
isitjustme
AG
https://www.theeagle.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/letters-for-march/article_835b489f-9dfb-5d58-afb9-aa683d447345.html

See first letter to the editor. I've never agreed more with Mr. Ogden than I do with his letter, assuming this is our former senator. Thank you for stating this so well and so publicly.

Note re 2nd letter, everyone else in the press was calling it the Wuhan virus before Trump started calling it the Trump virus, so get a grip, Dieter. But that's a discussion for the Politics board.
Stupe
S
Agreed.

This needs to be called the Wuhan / China / Chinese Virus. Anything that constantly reminds everyone what government lied, kept it a secret, and unleashed this mess on the entire world.

And is now painting themselves as an international hero.
Prune Tracy
Stupe
S
Quote:

get that teachers didn't have a say in how all of this went down, but it's ridiculous to think that we, as working parents, can just absorb another full time role while the teachers are just chilling at home monitoring FB and checking a few boxes here and there to keep up with who is participating and who isn't, all while retaining their full rate of pay because it comes from taxes, which don't stop.
I know several teachers in B/CS and other communities and NONE of the ones that talk to are doing that. They are figuring out ways using Khan Academy and other programs to formulate an entirely new way of teaching their students when they are given a green light. From what it sounds like, they are communicating with each other on a regular basis in order to share ideas.

They are also highly stressed because they are worried about their students and the long-term effect this is going to have on them. Especially on the juniors and seniors.

I realize that not all of them out there are putting forth that effort, but unless you have first-hand knowledge that most teachers are doing what you're insinuating, that is a very ignorant an insulting comment.

Edit: Neither I nor my wife are teachers, but I'm getting sick of people...not just on here...bashing these people when they are caught up in the whirlwind like the rest of us.

It's baseless and ignorant.
Aggie
AG
Rapier108 said:

The mayors are blaming this mostly on the college students and other young people for the spread.

."

They are exactly right

Was are HEB yesterday ( Saturday) and several groups of college age kids buying ton of beer/ alcoholic drinks talking about " corona parties"

I wouldn't be suprised if there is a total lockdown. I don't think it will come to that but I think we will have tighter restrictions very soon.
And we need to, still way too manny people not doing what they are supposed to and it is not helping.
Everyone wants to return to normal life ASAP.. only way to do that is for everyone to do their part.
The longer we ignore instructions the longer this last.
nthomas99
AG
But today's update on numbers is up on the health district's website:

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/3.29.20.pdf

4 new cases. Less than yesterday, but again I don't know what to make of that without total testing numbers.

Hospitalizations down from 6 to 4 (unfortunately likely due to the previous and new announced death today). Again, I am not an expert but an interesting article (citing a Stanford professor of epidemiology), citing something that sounds intuitively correct -- rate of increase in hospitalizations is a better metric to track the spread of the disease than number of confirmed cases.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/confirmed-coronavirus-cases-almost-meaningless-123550415.html
Leonidas
AG
I keep hearing this but who is not doing their part? It's a ghost town out there. You will never have 100% compliance. College students are way, way down on the list of concerns. Most of them didn't even come back from SB. Complaining about people being out when you are out.....pot meets kettle
88planoAg
AG
What does 'total lockdown' mean?
cavscout96
AG
Stupe said:

Quote:

get that teachers didn't have a say in how all of this went down, but it's ridiculous to think that we, as working parents, can just absorb another full time role while the teachers are just chilling at home monitoring FB and checking a few boxes here and there to keep up with who is participating and who isn't, all while retaining their full rate of pay because it comes from taxes, which don't stop.
I know several teachers in B/CS and other communities and NONE of the ones that talk to are doing that. They are figuring out ways using Khan Academy and other programs to formulate an entirely new way of teaching their students when they are given a green light. From what it sounds like, they are communicating with each other on a regular basis in order to share ideas.

They are also highly stressed because they are worried about their students and the long-term effect this is going to have on them. Especially on the juniors and seniors.

I realize that not all of them out there are putting forth that effort, but unless you have first-hand knowledge that most teachers are doing what you're insinuating, that is a very ignorant an insulting comment.

Edit: Neither I nor my wife are teachers, but I'm getting sick of people...not just on here...bashing these people when they are caught up in the whirlwind like the rest of us.

It's baseless and ignorant.

AGREED!
Rapier108
88planoAg said:

Depends on how one defines "lock down."

If it is Italy style, then the only things open to the public would be grocery stores, pharmacies, and medical providers/hospitals.

If it is "Wuhan Style" then virtually nothing would be open, or access to grocery stores would be highly regulated to the point where you would be allowed to shop 1 day a week, and only for a specific time during that day, if they even left the stores open.

Doing a "Wuhan Style" lock down would basically be martial law, and we'd probably see riots.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
88planoAg
AG
Rapier108 said:

88planoAg said:

Depends on how one defines "lock down."

If it is Italy style, then the only things open to the public would be grocery stores, pharmacies, and medical providers/hospitals.

If it is "Wuhan Style" then virtually nothing would be open, or access to grocery stores would be highly regulated to the point where you would be allowed to shop 1 day a week, and only for a specific time during that day, if they even left the stores open.

Doing a "Wuhan Style" lock down would basically be martial law, and we'd probably see riots.
I don't think anywhere in the US has come close to China type lockdown. I HATE that term, it is overused, vague and creates fear and panic. (I'm not directing it at you). So I always ask the question what is a lockdown in any of these discussions.

Nowhere in America is access to food restricted or denied. I suppose the 'essential business' can be more restricted, but that isn't the problem.

The problem is people ignoring rules already in place. More enforcement of rules should be the next step, not more rules.
isitjustme
AG
Aggie said:

Rapier108 said:

The mayors are blaming this mostly on the college students and other young people for the spread.

They are exactly right

Was are HEB yesterday ( Saturday) and several groups of college age kids buying ton of beer/ alcoholic drinks talking about " corona parties"
When I was an undergrad, I would have been at Skaggs doing the same thing! Now that I'm older and wiser, I had the foresight to acquire such provisions before the shelter in place order.

The silver lining is that these young morons are among the least vulnerable to the bad impacts of covid19, and they're probably just passing it to each other and building herd immunity for future generations. My advice today would be to avoid these young people by at least 10 feet anytime you see one.

Signed: A Former Young Moron
Rapier108
Oh I agree, the media and elected officials using the term "Wuhan Style Lock Down" is highly irresponsible, but they did it yesterday during the press conference.
Prune Tracy
isitjustme
AG
Gangster Octopus said:

Baseless? You mean other than the fact that my kid's teachers and my friends who are teachers aren't putting in near the time that they do when things are normal? Daily FB updates to their class pages of "lol enjoying the sunshine," "water day in the pool," and "bath day for the farm animals" solidify my experiences. A buddy is a teacher and has spent more time on the lake lately because there's nothing he can do from home. White knight all you want, but when he says things like "I hope no one wakes up and realizes what a joke this all is because it'd suck if they cut off the paychecks," there's obviously less work getting done than normal. You want to argue that things are more stressful at times because of all of the uncertainty, I'll give you that. But to act like it's an 8-10 hour grind now that everyone is stuck at home is laughable.

I get that there are juniors and seniors in high school that are getting the shaft, and that sucks for them. What I'm talking about, though, is elementary school. We just got a notification that all assignments are due by midnight tonight. That's crap, especially when they just email out a bunch of worksheets and check out. We've offered our personal Zoom account (with enough spaces to accommodate multiple classes) and got a "thanks but no thanks" in return. I get that not everyone has Internet, but for those that do, why not spend an hour or two teaching on Zoom and helping go over assignments? If the concern is finding a way to teach, there are extremely easy ways to do that that aren't being utilized.
Your argument is not with the teachers because we all know they didn't choose this. It's also a bad side of the argument to be on. By in large, we appreciate our teachers around here and the state of normal affairs is that they work long hours, have to sometimes/often dip into their own pockets for school supplies, and should be paid more. Now we're in a weird crisis situation, the teachers have had to stop doing what they normally do as a result of other people's decisions, and now some of them are enjoying a little slack time as the situation allows and some think it's right to come down on them.

The problem here lies with the administrators who clearly didn't have a plan for a 2-week disruption much less a potentially several months long disruption. I suspect the teachers are either getting very little direction, or direction that does not include what you want them to do.

I also think a lot of people are coming down on teachers (and others) out of petty jealousy, ie - "I gotta work hard now/can't work now and the teachers are still getting paid for doing less!" This only makes things worse.

I am not a teacher, nor is my s.o., nor do we still have kids in school here who are/are not getting screwed by all of this, but we still pay our property taxes.
GSS
Plan a school restart 1 May, run through end of June.
Assuming the state somehow agrees to cooperate/coordinate.

Or even later restart/finish, if needed.
Prune Tracy
TellMeMore
What school district has assigments due at midnight tonight?
nthomas99
AG
Prune Tracy
nthomas99
AG
Get comfy folks! The President just extended the nationwide social distancing guidelines until April 30. Brazos County shelter in place extension in 3...2...1...
Rapier108
nthomas99 said:

Get comfy folks! The President just extended the nationwide social distancing guidelines until April 30. Brazos County shelter in place extension in 3...2...1...
An extension was already coming.

The real question is how draconian can they go.

Way too many people calling the cops today, either because they think too many people are gathered together, or because they think a business that is open is "not essential" and wants to cops to shut it down.
Stupe
S
You are talking about elementary school teachers and you are disappointed that their teachers are communicating to them like that? One of mine is in elementary and I'm glad that the teachers are keeping in touch with them on a regular, friendly basis in that manner in addition to asking what they need as far as academics.

They need some sense of "it's going to be ok" at that age.
Fleen
Thank you Stupe...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.