Cooper's barbecue

64,830 Views | 253 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by halibut sinclair
kevmiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2nd trip to Cooper's this morning to get a Togo order and eat at the house while watching football.
1st time we ate there and had little sausage, pork loin and brisket. Wife and I both though food was little above local BBQ joints but more expensive which was to be expected as I'm sure their overhead is thru the roof. It's a big ass nice building so honestly I'm fine to pay a little more. The food was a little salty which we expected because we had read the reviews.

Today the food was terrible. Like borderline inedible due to the amount of salt.

It was to the point... like it was a joke.
Took one bite and was like "" whaghhhh"
My wife didn't even take a bite just licked it ( get your mind outta the gutter) and was same thing.
Everything we ordered was ridiculous overwhelmingly salty.. brisket, sausage, and turkey.

I'm sure we will give them another try down the road..really hoping the meat is not so salty the next time or we probably won't return.

BurnetAggie99
Cooper's Old Time Orginal BBQ Rub which is what they use to season meat is extremely Salty and if over seasoned this is what happens.
BCStalk
Went again today for lunch and split brisket, turkey, and jalapeo cheese sausage with the wife. It was just as good as the first time. I asked my wife if she thought it had too much salt and she didn't think so. Did have a bartender ask us if we wanted a mimosa while standing in line. Our total bill was $11 for the mimosas and $50 for the meat and two drinks. We ate about half our food and took the rest to go. I would suggest the people complaining about salt to just stick with C&Js or J Codys. The less of y'all there are, the less I have to wait in line.
RGRAg1/75
AG
BCStalk said:

The less of y'all there are, the less I have to wait in line.

Actually, if there's no line, it's bad for all of us bc it won't last long.
BCStalk
There are 100 people in line every time we go or drive by. They will be just fine.
91_Aggie
AG
That place will never stay in business... it is too crowded every time I try to go!
src94
AG
That has a Yogi Berra sound to it.
src94
NColoradoAG
We went with a group of 6 on Friday night before the basketball game. There were probably 30-40 people ahead of us in line, but it moved quickly. It was lots of bigger groups so the line moved in waves as people moved away from where you select your meat.

Everyone on staff we interacted with were friendly and helpful despite it being hectic and busy.

We ordered 3 pounds of brisket, a beef rib, 9 spare ribs, probably 1/2 pound of the smoked sirloin, a link of regular sausage, a link of jalapeno cheddar, and a pound of turkey. Obviously way too much food, but we wanted to try everything and there were plenty of leftovers for the tailgate. I only had them dip the turkey.

I though all of the bbq was excellent. The brisket, ribs, sausage, and turkey were all top notch. We did 2 pounds of moist and 1 pound of lean. The only piece of brisket that was maybe too salty was the end cut off the point. I thought everything else was seasoned well.

We didn't go too heavy on sides. I think we did cole slaw and both types of mac and cheese. They were fine, but when we go back back i'd just skip all the sides and eat the beans. The beans were very good and I think that's a very nice touch that stands out to people.

Overall I will try to go back during basketball season this year because we really enjoyed everything. Certainly better than all but a couple places in Colorado. I was impressed overall by the quality of the food considering how busy it was. It's tough to make good bbq for a big crowd all day long.
91_Aggie
AG
src94 said:

i think it was him.
TxSquarebody
91_Aggie said:

src94 said:

i think it was him.

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded" - Yogi
jja79
AG
First time today. Really enjoyed it. This and 1775 are head and shoulders above anything else in BCS.
AC Hopper
S
Ordered 0.5 pound of lean brisket.
Paid for 0.9 pounds, which included approx. 0.3 lbs. of untrimmed fat.
Won't return until there is an announcement that the place has started trimming the brisket prior to weighing.
Beans were good.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
The guy asked me if I wanted mine trimmed before he weighed it. I said yes. Wasn't charged for what they trimmed off. Maybe tell them to trim it next time if they don't ask. Some people don't want it trimmed.
AC Hopper
S
OK, thank you.
TXAG 05
AG
AC Hopper said:

Ordered 0.5 pound of lean brisket.
Paid for 0.9 pounds, which included approx. 0.3 lbs. of untrimmed fat.
Won't return until there is an announcement that the place has started trimming the brisket prior to weighing.
Beans were good.

Not really their fault, you ok'd what you paid for.
jja79
AG
As I said we enjoyed our first visit saturday at noon. I wouldn't order brisket there though. Having been to Llano often their version is just not what I prefer. Had some sirloin, pork loin, pork ribs and prime rib and all of that plus the sides were very good. Sat in the bar area and watched some of the early college football games. Definitely will be back.
LJF78
My Next door neighbor and I get together on Saturday to watch college football.
Last Saturday he picked him up a Togo order from Cooper's. He got sirloin, When he opened it it was 100% fat.
He called up there and was put on hold and nobody picked up, So then he sent them an email.
I asked him this morning if he ever heard back from them and he said no

CN
LJF78 said:

My Next door neighbor and I get together on Saturday to watch college football.
Last Saturday he picked him up a Togo order from Cooper's. He got sirloin, When he opened it it was 100% fat.
He called up there and was put on hold and nobody picked up, So then he sent them an email.
I asked him this morning if he ever heard back from them and he said no

I hope he took a picture. Post it on their Facebook page. That'll get their attention.
Rexter
We went yesterday around noon and had brisket, chicken, pork chop, pork ribs, mac & cheese, beans, potato salad, and tea.
My take:

Pork ribs - very good
Brisket - fair...not much flavor
Pork chop - good, woulda been better if it was thinner
Chicken - excellent
Mac & cheese - very good
Potato salad - ok....I prefer mustard style
Beans - good flavor but not very warm
Tea - not good. I switched to DP. Tea tasted old.

I think the meats would be better with some sort of smoke flavor, but that's not their thing, so oh well. It may be a once a quarter thing for us just for something different.
VetSurg
AG
Been 3X. Sirloin each time. Excellent each time.
happyinBCS
You are correct they grill their meats under higher heat and do not slow smoke them 30 years ago at the original Llano location I thought it was a much more smoked flavor I assume they have moved to a high heat fast grill concept due to a multiple location hi volume restaurant business model
halibut sinclair
Been 3 times also. Brisket, sausage, turkey, chicken, steak. All excellent but the beans are the best.
Broncos
Finally made it in yesterday.

Tried the moist brisket, beef rib, and turkey. The brisket and rib were excellent. Brisket did not seem too salty as a few people have said. The turkey was good but lacked flavor compared to some of the other options around town.

The bacon and jalapeno mac and cheese was quite delicious as well. Also, don't pass on the free beans. They are also delicious.

Total cost for 2 of us was $35 and we had a lot of food. It's on par for good BBQ cost anywhere you go.

We will definitely be back as it's easily the best BBQ in Bryan/College Station (excluding 1775 as it has limited hours and days open).
CN
I went again this past weekend and I don't know if they got a new pit master, he's just gotten better at his job, or they listened to all the criticisms but it was a lot better than the first few times I've been. I always thought the flavor was good but the brisket and beef ribs were a little chewy the other times I've had it. This time both were very tender.

I still have one complaint and that's how they eyeball it when they cut the meat. I asked for 1/2 lb of brisket and got almost a pound. It's possible the guy misheard a pound instead of half a pound. I just wish they would weigh it as they're slicing it because the other times I've ordered they're typically over by almost 1/4 lb.
doubledog
Coopers is not that expensive when you consider that you by it by the pound. One pound will easily feed two or more people, so two pounds of meat normally feeds my entire family.
91_Aggie
AG
doubledog said:

Coopers is not that expensive when you consider that you by it by the pound. One pound will easily feed two or more people, so two pounds of meat normally feeds my entire family.
isn't that $36-$40 just for meat to feed 4 people?
I guess everyone could just get water and all the beans, pickles and onions they can eat after that.
Bucketrunner
Those beans are really good! That's all we really need, along with the pickles, onions, and bread. However, their draft beer is definitely cold and a good complement to the meal.
studioone
what's wrong with fat? Fat = flavor...
TXAG 05
AG
91_Aggie said:

doubledog said:

I guess everyone could just get water and all the beans, pickles and onions they can eat after that.

That's not a whole lot of money for 4 people to eat, unless you are going to McDonalds or something like that.
halibut sinclair
Went last night and had a big pork chop, pound and 1/2 of prime rib and 1/2 pound of sausage. 58 bucks for 3 people ain't bad.
91_Aggie
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

91_Aggie said:

doubledog said:

That's not a whole lot of money for 4 people to eat, unless you are going to McDonalds or something like that.
I know... but that's just for meat... no sides, no drinks.
You get those at Coopers and you are up to about $80.
Bucketrunner
I get the drink part, but there is no reason to get any additional sides at Cooper's when the beans, pickles, onions, and bread are included. That more than fills us up.
AggieBarstool
Or maybe some of us want actual _sides_ with our main course not condiments.
halibut sinclair
Beans are not a condiment, home skillet.
aggiegal99
I agree that the meat cutter tends to overestimate weight. I've gotten to where I'm much more specific with the meat cutter about what I want, and I have my 2 meat order down now. I usually get about a 1/4 link of jalapeo cheese sausage and a small sliver of smoked turkey. I'll split mac-and-cheese with someone. Add in the free beans, and I'm all in at less than $10, and I leave stuffed and very happy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.