Cooper's barbecue

64,763 Views | 253 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by halibut sinclair
EvenPar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I go for lunch will I leave smelling like I've been to a bbq cook off?
CN
Goose61 said:

Had it today. It was okay, kinda like a glorified Rudy's, but to each is own.

I'll stick with Blue Moon or 1775, thank you very much.
Well that's not very comforting because I didn't really care for 1775 much (the 30 minute wait with just 10 people ahead of me didn't help much either). I'm just hoping for better than C&J which you would think would not be very hard.
DisneyFan5
You will not smell like you have been to C&J's.

We went last night and were part of the $38 club. One beef rib, two pork ribs and half a pound of brisket, mac and cheese and one drink. It was good, but not sure how often we will be back.

techno-ag
AG
Prices sound about in line with other BBQ places, maybe a tad higher. Good meat ain't cheap. I usually drop 17-20 on a lunch, maybe less if I'm getting a chopped beef sandwich or something plain like that. Hope to try it soon.
halibut sinclair
Looking forward to checking out that bar this weekend.
frito bandito
My wife is from Llano and is elated that Coopers is open. I am not a fan. She got lunch from there yesterday and was in heaven.
happyinBCS
I went today for a to go order I live right around the corner Got the pork ribs no sauce and free beans 13.96 total. The ribs were extremely salty as others have said. Only one of the four was tender the others seemed tough. It is a very nice building the overhead must be out of this world. I will go back and wish them luck but the volume they will have to do to just break even much less make a profit is huge.
TXAG 05
AG
DisneyFan5 said:

You will not smell like you have been to C&J's.

We went last night and were part of the $38 club. One beef rib, two pork ribs and half a pound of brisket, mac and cheese and one drink. It was good, but not sure how often we will be back.

Adding a beef rib will always jack up the cost. They are relatively cheap at Coopers, but still going to set you back around $25 depending on the size. BBQ is just expensive.

I've only been to the NB Coopers but that has been almost 10 years ago. I remember their run being really salty, sounds like that hasn't changed.
legalbird
General word to any bbq house that has seen slow sales in 2018 and 2019...

RAMP UP YOUR GAME.. There are only so many expendable dollars to be spent on BBQ each week. Make sure your game is on.

Coopers is a strong brand with a great reputation.
armymom
The two pork ribs we got last night cost $6.97. Won't get them again as they were too tough to bite into. Had to cut the meat off. Decent flavor though. Liked their sausage very much.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Does it have a drive thru?
Another Doug
AG
Went today, thought it was great. Free beans makes it cheaper than other places for me, though the cut first, weigh later makes it a bit of a guess how much you are about to get/pay.

I was impressed with how smooth things were going for just opening. They had people all over making sure things were flowing right. There was probably about 75 or so people in line, but it only took 15 minutes.

Tried brisket (moist), brisket (lean), sausage (jalapeno and cheese), and beef rib. All of it was good, moist brisket was my favorite. Didn't use the sauce, as I was enjoying on its own.

Also for getting there from north or 2818, you can take Emerald, then a right on corsair to get there from the back way.
AggieBarstool
I stopped in around 1:15pm, excited they were open. The line was wrapped around the bar -- must of been 100 in line. Wasn't about to wait that long for what sounds to be "decent" BBQ.

Hopefully it *is* a step above the other options in town, but unfortunately, that's not saying much. Established local options leave a lot to be desired.

I'll be back in a week or so when the newness wears off some.
AggieAces06
AG
We went right at 11 this morning for lunch. The line was already to the door, but only took about 10 minutes to get through. We tried the beef rib, pork ribs and brisket. All were very good. Their rub is a little on the salty side, but not nearly as salty as when we tried the Llano location several years ago.

The beef rib was fantastic. The pork ribs were good. I guess we got good ones, because unlike other poster's, ours were tender. The brisket was good, but not as good as the beef rib.

We will definitely go back after things calm down and they get into the full swing of things. The lady behind us was talking about getting the pork chop because they are her favorite in Llano. They looked good, so that might have to be on the list next time.
sjislepilot
AG
Went with the family last night. The only thing I thought was bizarre was the "Coopers" sign on the inside that look like a kid wrote it. I prefer the old school sign.

In general there was a LONG line but spent little time in it. Grabbed a beer while I was waiting from the bar, so that was nice. Brisket was excellent and the atmosphere was great.
Mathguy64
AG
Oh boy. That was rough.

I had a chop, 1/2 lb each of brisket, sausage and turkey as Mrs Mathguy likes smoked turkey. The prices were in line with market BBQ. I expected a $50 meal going in and that's what we hit. No issues there. That's market BBQ and we ordered a lot to get a variety.

The food however was just not good. The chop was good but a tad salty. Not Snow's level pork steak that flakes and is roasted but it was good. But everything else was a salt bomb. The turkey was borderline inedible for me and a total loss for her. The brisket was salty and essentially roast beef. It almost tasted like it was injected. It was also cut wrong and basically shredded itself when eating. And that was at 1:30 in the afternoon. Even the sausage was salty but by then my tastebuds were so blown out I might have been tasting something that wasn't there. The dip/mop sauce didn't cut the salt, it just created a sharp vinegar layer.

I've eaten at Killens, Snows and Louie Mueller and had really good BBQ. I've also had really bad stuff. This was not good as the salt level was so high. We weren't the only ones saying it. Everyone at the bench around us thought the same. There were also folks really happy with it.

Hopefully that was the pit master learning his new pit. I've never had Coopers so I don't know what their profile is but if that's it then it's not for me.
Wicked Good Ag
I haven't tried it yet. Will wait for lines to die down and also let them get in rhythm. I do find it funny that every post that says it is excellent has become blue but for every one of those we have two that say too salty. Gonna have to make up my own mind.

Good for me but Truth is my go to in the general area for almost everything. Will hit up 1775 for Turkey
aggiepaintrain
AG
Ate there for lunch today. The lean brisket was fantastic and the chicken was EASILY the best in town.

Their mac was delicious.

Atmosphere was top notch, the building itself is second to none.

The place is a winner and I'm already looking forward to some more brisket.

and it's less than a minute from my house
95_Aggie
AG
If there is one thing that is just as polarizing as politics, it's BBQ
curry97
AG
And Aggie Football
CN
I had it for lunch on Friday. We got there at 11:30 and I think we were around the condiment station when we got in line. I actually looked at my watch when we got in line and it took us 20 minutes to make it to the cashier. The line came to an absolute standstill when we got to where you order sides. Total bottleneck there.

I liked it. It was definitely unlike other BBQ I've had. I don't like salty food but I didn't find it too salty. Perhaps it was because I had everything "baptized". I will say the beef was not tender at all but the flavor was good. I ordered moist brisket but it was a little chewy. Had the beef ribs too and it was chewy too. Pork ribs were tender.

All in all, I will be going back.
GSS
A great meal I have enjoyed multiple times at the Llano location is the half chicken, plus a drink. The chicken always has lots of black pepper, good smokiness, and the vinegary sauce (dipped, plus some in a cup) seals the deal. Add the pinto beans, bread, onions, pickles...good eats, and you leave full for $10-ish!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
JaneDoe02
AG
We went last night for dinner. Wanted to try several things so we over ordered for 2 and brought a lot of meat home.

Pork ribs were good (a little salty, but not too much), beef ribs were fabulous, jalapeno cheese sausage was good, brisket was ok, grilled corn was good, jalapeno bacon Mac and cheese was fabulous. Their "free" beans were good too.

We spent $72, but we ordered enough meat for 4-5 people probably. Prices were pretty comparable to C&J's.

I'll definitely go back.
legalbird
what kind of sauce do they have

thick?

spicy?
Mathguy64
AG
It's more of a mop/dip liquid. It's thin and vinegar based.
Bunk Moreland
Overall I think it'll do what I hoped... Which was be a good enough place that's a step above c&j & Rudy's.

Beef rib was great. Brisket definitely not low and slow but had good taste. One issue was some bites were fine and others were very salty. Pretty much no need to order turkey again. Sausage is solid and I was told the chicken was great.

Enjoyed the Mac n cheese and green beans.

I can see myself enjoying a small plate of BBQ and a beer at the bar on a random night after work as well.
91_Aggie
AG
I did not enjoy the beef rib at all. It had a funky flavor.
Brisket was great though.
MS08
AG
Thank you to all for the contributions! The building looks awesome and it sounds like the atmosphere and bar area are very legitimate. I'll have to try the BBQ!
AggiePhil
AG
Nice building.
TxSquarebody
Went back again today to try the chop and beef rib. Huge disappointment on both. Chop, though flavorful, was tough. Beef rib was just funky all around. The flavors are different, which can be good, but the execution is terrible. I'll give them a few months and try one more time before writing them off.
techno-ag
AG
KBTX's take:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Iconic-Texas-Bar-B-Que-restaurant-now-open-in-College-Station-563995641.html
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Kbtx is shooting video on their phones now?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Hate to be the only taxpayer in Brazos County without a review.......

We made a point to be there 5:15 Monday

Less than 5 minutes waiting to get to the meat cutter

1/2 chicken and 1/4 lb of brisket plus tater salad and all the "free stuff " was more than we could finish (2 of us)

Add a couple of ICE COLD drafts from an enthusiastic bar staff and our total tab was $30.83 inc tip

Everything was good. We'll go back a few times/month. Not Blacks great, but probably as good or better than anything else in town. Bar concept is our fav. Outside area nice touch too, but admittedly we're bar people

Owners were there early evening watching the line and pitching in/making adjustments on the fly. We could overhear some if their conversations and they obviously cared.

Bottle neck is the "sides" area. Folks are new and uninformed about procedures. Signage would help A TON there:
If you are a party of 2+, only one person needs to stick around after you get in line. (13-15 minutes from door, 8-9 minutes from where the framed pictures are on the walk as you wait for the cutter)

Leave one to order the meats and then get in line for sides. Rest should go to get sauce, pickles/onions, pinto beans, etc and grab a hightop table in bar. Get any one or more of 10-12 draft beers offered. ......., or anything else from the full service bar. Plenty of big screen TVs there as well.
By the time you get all that done, hopefully your meat and sides getter is paying out at the register. Tonight, it was about 8 minutes from getting the meats to getting sides and checking out. My bet is they'll get that down to under 4 minutes. They were certainly watching and helping. The issue was too many newcomers (like ourselves) had not figured out the process

...., and there was no signage nor personnel to speed things up

Overall: 8/10 with lot of potential to be 9+/10
AG
Tried it last week, to go. Brisket and beef ribs and sides. Brisket was reasonably tender but way over-salted and otherwise bland and too fatty. At Fargo's they always ask the customer their preference (lean or fatty), but not so here, and even so, it was way too fatty, about a third fat-to-meat. The ribs were tough. I am definitely NOT a fan of tomato-flavored vinegar as a sauce, for me this adds nothing to the meat and subtracts from its meager flavor to begin with. Sides were mediocre and too bland. So: We will probably give it a month to let them work out the wobbles before trying again, but first impressions were not great and if it doesn't substantially improve we'll continue going to Fargo's and 1775 instead. We were looking forward to this, so it's a disappointment.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Brisket was reasonably tender but way over-salted and otherwise bland and too fatty. At Fargo's they always ask the customer their preference (lean or fatty), but not so here, and even so, it was way too fatty, about a third fat-to-meat.

They asked us "lean or moist" and we heard everyone else being asked the same question who ordered brisket.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.