Cooper's barbecue

64,816 Views | 253 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by halibut sinclair
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I went and thought it was alright. Part of the brisket were good, parts of it were too salty. Didn't have a lot of smoke which i really like on a brisket, but it was still good. Turkey was great. I enjoyed both kinds of sausage as well. The jalapeno mac n cheese, potato salad, and beans were all great as well. It's not the best I ever had, but it's definitely good and worth a return. The ordering process is a little odd. I was so confused when they gave me my meat and then I had to hand it to someone else. But now that I know the process it won't be a big deal next time.
Jimmy_the_gent
AG
The Friday Rib Plate from CJ's is one of the best specials in town.
Rex Racer
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

You guys killed the one place (Kreuz's) because the "no forks" thing.

I predict in a year or so, Coopers will be gone, and the verdict will be "too salty".

C&J's is about as good as we'll get in town I guess....
1775 is light-years better, but to be fair, it's a different model.
Wicked Good Ag
and not open as much limited days of the week

But 1775 Turkey is the best item on their menu IMO

still havent tried Cooper's... Looking at Thursday
SW AG80
AG
I ate the Cooper's in New Braunfels last week. The manager there said the one in CS has been busier than expected.
ChampsAg
Ate there at lunch today. Had moist brisket and jalapeno cheese sausage with potato salad and jalapeno bacon mac & cheese.

Brisket was salty. Almost inedible for me.
Sausage was cool..not cold but cooler than expected coming off the pit. Flavor was ok but temperature turned me off.

Potato salad was a no for me. No flavor
Mac & cheese was ok. Not a bad flavor and probably the only thing I would get again besides the tea

Took too long IMO for them to slice the meat and bring to the register.

Way too expensive for me. I get better quality meat and sides for half the price at other places.

Don't see going back unless I get outvoted at work.
SW AG80
AG
Cooper's can be expensive if you don't watch it. When we ate there last week, there were 3 of us. We asked for enough brisket for a sandwich for 3, got some sausage and potato salad and tea. Ate the free beans. $22 for all three of us and had some brisket and sausage to bring home. Also, did not order a sandwich, just used the bread that they provide.
Bucketrunner
Barbecue is personal, with each of us liking it a different way. Heck, I was raised loving Underwood's in Brownwood, and a LOT of people don't share my love for that.

We absolutely love this Coopers -- which surprised both of us since we don't really care for the food in Llano. We like our food well seasoned, so we're good with Coopers method of doing things. We also like CJ's and will probably keep it in rotation. Neither of us can stand anything at Rudy's, and believe me, we've tried.
techno-ag
AG
SW AG80 said:

Cooper's can be expensive if you don't watch it. When we ate there last week, there were 3 of us. We asked for enough brisket for a sandwich for 3, got some sausage and potato salad and tea. Ate the free beans. $22 for all three of us and had some brisket and sausage to bring home. Also, did not order a sandwich, just used the bread that they provide.
$7.33 each is not bad. Very reasonable lunch right there.
91_Aggie
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

I predict in a year or so, Coopers will be gone, and the verdict will be "too salty".

I doubt a few people complaining about no forks on this forum killed Kreuz.
Kreuz was out of the way for me to go (and probably for lots of people).

But "too salty" is a bigger problem than no forks.
That's a taste thing. If people don't like the BBQ because too salty you can't blame people for not going.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Oh great. Here we go again. We're all trying to talk about the new place and y'all can't stop arguing about the old place that hasn't been around for at least a year.
kyledr04
AG
Had a beef rib Friday that was awesome
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Yeah, it was the "no forks" thing......

Sinuso
AG
I grew up in Georgetown so "Cooper's in Llano" was as close to "local" as I could get. It's what I grew up with as "Good BBQ". That being said, I've never had "Bad BBQ"! To me, its like chocolate or sex - it can be OK, good or VERY Good; but never bad.

I have missed the Hill Country Mesquite-smoked type of BBQ for a long time and the brisket I had the other night brought back great memories. Can't wait to go back!
happyinBCS
Never really viewed BBQ that way
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Dickey's is bad barbeque.
TXAG 05
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

Were you on here when Kruez opened? "No forks" was like a crime against humanity
wareagle044
Coopers is here to stay - that place is good
halibut sinclair
We went last week and thought everything we had was excellent.
Aggies76
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

Were you on here when Kruez opened? "No forks" was like a crime against humanity
I remember them advertising on TV with the tag line "We now have forks!"

My husband misses their sauerkraut.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Second trip tonight. First trip was great. Well above average. Either they read TexAgs or y'all are complaining about saltiness to the mgmt, bc tonight was below avg. Ribeye overcooked and under seasoned. Brisket was solid. Turkey was bland and somewhat dry.

Chalking it up to an off night, but at $150 for 4 adults and 3 littles all below 10 y/o, they need to be more consistent. I suggested they get a kids drink price. $20 for 7 adult drinks is crazy when my littles won't even drink one cup of Powerade. We'll see where that goes.
happyinBCS
Wow 150 bucks to stand in line and eat on waxed paper
91_Aggie
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Dickey's is bad "barbeque."

Fixed it for you. I do not even know how the meat they serve could be interpreted as barbecue. Awful.
91_Aggie
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Second trip tonight. First trip was great. Well above average. Either they read TexAgs or y'all are complaining about saltiness to the mgmt, bc tonight was below avg. Ribeye overcooked and under seasoned. Brisket was solid. Turkey was bland and somewhat dry.

Chalking it up to an off night, but at $150 for 4 adults and 3 littles all below 10 y/o, they need to be more consistent. I suggested they get a kids drink price. $20 for 7 adult drinks is crazy when my littles won't even drink one cup of Powerade. We'll see where that goes.

Get water for them next time.
RGRAg1/75
AG
I appreciate the parenting tip, but I'm happy to let them have Powerade. My kids drink water all day long.

Doesn't change the fact the should have a kids drink option that's not ~$3.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
91_Aggie said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Dickey's is bad "barbeque."

Fixed it for you. I do not even know how the meat they serve could be interpreted as barbecue. Awful.

I'll allow it.
saltydog13
AG
happyinBCS said:

Would you like your food on fine china and already plated right when you walk in the door?
techno-ag
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

I appreciate the parenting tip, but I'm happy to let them have Powerade. My kids drink water all day long.

I feel your pain. Lots of places charge $2.99 for a drink, though. Pro tip: don't let your kids get refills on milk at IHOP.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

You seem to have an agenda against Coopers. Are you a competitor?
RGRAg1/75
AG
techno-ag said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

I feel your pain. Lots of places charge $2.99 for a drink, though. Pro tip: don't let your kids get refills on milk at IHOP.

Heard that. One reason we'll probably continue to frequent C&Js. 3 x kids plates, which includes drink, for $5.99 is significant savings over $12-15 per plate and drink they avg at Coopers. Coopers will be frequented less.
happyinBCS
Nope, I paid 37 bucks 2 weeks ago to stand in line and eat on waxed paper.
BCStalk
happyinBCS said:

I've stood in line plenty of places and spent plenty more on lesser quality food. If it's not for you then it's not for you, Coopers will not miss your business I imagine.
saltydog13
AG
happyinBCS said:

So what's your point?
BurnetAggie99
Have you been to Black Box BBQ in Georgetown the pit master is John Mueller. Though heard they moved to Pflugerville.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.