Parking charges at Century Square

55,199 Views | 260 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cyp0111
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The problem is they're confusing what they're actually building. I would venture their rent rates are already the highest in town.

This shouldnt help sign up new tenants as I would 100% venture away if they're going to pull stunts like this.
Builder93
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Don't even suggest it or cocs will want to connect it to wolf pen drainage ditch and swamp hole. Next would be Brazos transit wanting to connect it to their federal boondoggle woodlands water transit.

Did you know the master plan for that area includes tying it in with the creek behind Hensel?

True Story.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It seems like they aren't responding to most messages sent by email or on social media. Seems like the don't care.
Cyp0111
I wouldnt say that. I would imagine they're now trying to figure out how to do damage control. I'm sure they have multiple tenants (existing, under construction and prospective) that are asking questions.

They pulled this stunt at City Centre without notifying tenants (we are an office tenant) until the changes were made.
rcannaday
AG
The sad thing is we were visiting there about once a week for our night out with the family. We went out last night, decided against going there due to the fee for parking. Doesn't make sense with kids, paying for a meal, and the hassle.
jja79
AG
I had a meeting at City Centre this morning and parked free like I always have in the garage by Lifetime. Where are they charging?
Cyp0111
First floor of garage behind the Brazilian steak place.
snaglepuss
I like it right here in Bryan, Texas...
jja79
AG
Have used the Lifetime and Brio garages recently without paying. There are obviously some reserved spaces but plenty of free parking.

I don't know if me not going to Hopdaddy's will matter but if I have to pay to park I won't be going.
armymom
Does Zoe's Kitchen deliver? If so, I'll drive over to IHOP's free parking and have them deliver to me! Just kidding because the deliver charge probably costs as much as the parking fee!
Cyp0111
Has anyone heard anything back from the developers yet?
AggieBarstool
Cyp0111 said:

Nope.
jrhmc
AG
Cyp0111 said:

This is their reply on my Facebook post.

"We appreciate the feedback. Yes, prime parking is currently metered, but other nonmetered parking is currently available at Century Square. In addition, the garage at Century Square will be free for the first thirty minutes. Some tenants will validate parking & there will be free "short-term" parking spaces spread throughout the center for restaurant take-out and quick retail pickups. Being located on Texas A&M's campus it is necessary to optimize convenient parking options for patrons looking to make quick trips & to differentiate between university student parking."
GiveEmHellBill
AG
jrhmc said:

Cyp0111 said:

This is their reply on my Facebook post.

"We appreciate the feedback. Yes, prime parking is currently metered, but other nonmetered parking is currently available at Century Square. In addition, the garage at Century Square will be free for the first thirty minutes. Some tenants will validate parking & there will be free "short-term" parking spaces spread throughout the center for restaurant take-out and quick retail pickups. Being located on Texas A&M's campus it is necessary to optimize convenient parking options for patrons looking to make quick trips & to differentiate between university student parking."
"but other nonmetered parking is currently available at Century Square."
Where and how many spaces? Doesn't matter. It'll only be a handful and they will always be taken.

"the garage at Century Square will be free for the first thirty minutes."
Is there a single restaurant at Century Square that you can park, walk to, order, eat and walk back to your car in 30 minutes? No? Then giving us 30 free minutes is worthless.

"there will be free "short-term" parking spaces spread throughout the center for restaurant take-out and quick retail pickups. "
So this just makes the free 30 minute spots in the garage even more worthless.

"Some tenants will validate parking"
Make it "all tenants" and you'll be onto something.

"& to differentiate between university student parking."
They did it in the IHOP parking lot for years and years and never once charged any restaurant patrons for parking.

Sorry, but this response does absolutely nothing to make me want pay them to patronize their establishments when parking is free at EVERY other place in the area.
Frio Cielo
If it was not a money grab, they could have come out and stated, that parking near the restaurants and on the first floor of the garage is $3 per hour but with a vendor's purchase receipt, parking is free....one short sentence.

We will probably find out that A&M gets a piece of the $3.
MiMi
S
KBTX has a new story posted today

New information on Century Square parking meters
ratfacemcdougal
Well KBTX, that was a cr4appy story. Two comments. Why not reference TxAgs where there is 5 pages of people saying this is all bad bull and they will not visit those business. The hotel guests stay free while the bar patrons....who will prob end up paying more than a hotel room...have to pay for parking.
Oogway
I haven't a clue if A&M receives a portion of that fee, but it is stated in the media that Century Square is on the tax rolls despite being on land that could've been declared exempt. That is a plus in my book.

As far as the $$ for parking, I guess it depends upon your perspective. Mine is such that if I want to visit those establishments, I would either factor it into the cost of convenience or park further away and walk.

I don't know how successful it will be to promote a high density student living area that encourages walking to amenities, but perhaps it is better than the current sprawling nightmare of the Barracks, Cottages, (insert apartment complex name here) that drives up local infrastructure costs and creates southern traffic headaches.

Time will tell.
ratfacemcdougal
Frio, I was going to post what you said, then I thought a student could park there all day, run in to any business on the way home and come out with a receipt. However, I think there is a solution in there somewhere.
Cyp0111
I understand that certain areas may require paid parking on weekends and busy periods. The garage needs to be free. It's free in City Centre on the top 3 floors.
Satellite of Love
Jtayers23 said:

It's worth noting that City Centre in Houston, owned by the same people, is doing the same thing. Sad that places like that cannot adapt to their environment. I understand paid parking in Houston, but not here.
And they just recently made that change at city center. It all use to be free on the first floor of the parking garage and along the streets. I won't go there anymore because of the money grab. I am not going to pay you more money on top of supporting you through spending money at a business which pays for the rent.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Cyp0111
It works in big cities or places that are truly unique in offering/location. I think they're a little ahead of themselves in regards to their current position to the market or how many students will be parking there during the school day.

Gameday. They can charge what they want.
techno-ag
AG
Frio Cielo said:

If it was not a money grab, they could have come out and stated, that parking near the restaurants and on the first floor of the garage is $3 per hour but with a vendor's purchase receipt, parking is free....one short sentence.
Reminds me of the red light cameras debacle where the city assured us it wasn't a money grab. People pointed out all you have to do to make intersections safer is add one second to the yellow lights. CStat said, "Nope! We're staying with cameras. For safety." That's when it became evident it was really a money grab.

This is the same thing. If they wanted to mitigate student parking they could use a tow service like IHOP has for decades.

They're saying, "Nope. Not gonna go with tried and true methods."

So, yeah, it's a money grab.
TexAg1987
Quote:

According to a press release from Century Square representatives, the street parking will be $3 for the first hour, with a $2 increase for every hour after that. There will be a daily max of $25 for more than four hours of parking.

Check my math:

Street Parking-
$3 + $2 +$2 +$2 = $9 for $4 hrs

$25 = $3 + $2 +$2 +$2 +$2 +$2 +$2 +$2 +$2 +$2 +$2 +$2 is 12 hrs.

Or are they saying that after 4 hours it jumps from $9 to $25?

halibut sinclair
^ It means you won't be charged more than $25 a day no matter how long you park.
nought
AG
We had been looking forward to hosting some business dinners at some of the restaurants there, including Porters when it opens. There is no way we're going to invite clients and make them have to deal with the hassle of paying for parking. Likewise, when we have "take the team out to lunch" days, we're not going to expect employees to have to pay for parking.

Luckily there are plenty of other establishments in this town that know how to build in operating expenses to their lease and menu prices.
Cyp0111
I've read through the investment criteria for porters as I invested in the notes. Less than thrilled with how they handled the parking situation.

Midway is a good developer. However, they do sometimes fall into the god complex.
TexAg1987
halibut sinclair said:

^ It means you won't be charged more than $25 a day no matter how long you park.
My confusion was about the last part of the statement:

"...daily max of $25 for more than four hours of parking."

You don't reach $25 until 12 hours of parking.

MiMi
S
Quote:

My confusion was about the last part of the statement:

"...daily max of $25 for more than four hours of parking."

You don't reach $25 until 12 hours of parking.
Maybe they tipped their hand too soon. The current $3 + $2 rate could be introductory. Once they think we are desensitized to paying for the privilege to park, they will increase the rate where it will be $25 for 4 hours?
fourth deck
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I've read through the investment criteria for porters as I invested in the notes. Less than thrilled with how they handled the parking situation.

Midway is a good developer. However, they do sometimes fall into the god complex.
Can the investors sue if the parking situation causes Porters to tank?
AggieBarstool
Hey, I got a response!

Quote:

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your message and your concern.

The full parking plan is not yet out, but it will certainly be something that works and makes sense for the community. Validation options will be available.

Businesses and customers benefit when customers are able to find parking readily available. While it is a large factor, managing parking at Century Square is not just to avoid becoming overflow campus or University event parking. In a mixed-use environment, where some of our visitors stay longer and others are making quick trips, a tiered system helps make sure convenient spaces for restaurants and shops are available. Revenue from parking helps pay for free community event programming.

In addition, it is a Midway tradition to donate a portion of parking proceeds to local charities. As we have at our other properties, we look forward to sharing a portion of Century Square's parking revenue with charities that serve our B-CS community.

Beyond validation - until the parking garage is open, Century Square will lower its on-street parking fee to $1.25 / hour to bring it in line with what other establishments in this community charge for parking. We will always offer our customers a range of options to choose from and seek to offer the best experience for them.

Thanks,

Seems to be the most thought-out response so far. Do y'all want me to respond? If so, how?
armymom

I also got a response:

Quote:

Good morning,

Thank you for your concern and feedback, it is appreciated.

We most certainly understand your concern and position. Businesses and customers benefit when customers are able to find parking readily available. Managing parking at Century Square is not just to avoid becoming overflow campus or University event parking. In a mixed-use environment, where some of our visitors stay longer and others are making quick trips, a tiered system helps make sure convenient spaces for restaurants and shops are available. Revenue from parking helps pay for free community event programming.

In addition, it is a Midway tradition to donate a portion of parking proceeds to local charities. As we have at our other properties, we look forward to sharing a portion of Century Square's parking revenue with charities that serve our B-CS community.

We have listened to our customers and businesses express their concerns, and we are sensitive to our community's feedback. Until the parking garage is open, Century Square will lower its on-street parking fee to $1.25 / hour to bring it in line with what other establishments in this community charge for parking in their garages.

Century Square continues to offer free and convenient on-street parking for customers making a quick stop or picking up online orders to carry out.

Thank you again for reaching out. (no signature)

MsC2012
AG
Suddenly Orange Theory goes from 150 a month to what 200? That is utterly ridiculous.
Rexter
Doing the math (literally) from the KBTX article, the fee is
1st hr - $3
2nd hr - $5
3rd hr - $7
4th hr - $9

That's $24 for 4 hours.

The article says "$3 for the first hour and then increasing $2 per hour every hour thereafter".
oldag00
AG
Rexter said:

Doing the math (literally) from the KBTX article, the fee is
1st hr - $3
2nd hr - $5
3rd hr - $7
4th hr - $9

That's $24 for 4 hours.

The article says "$3 for the first hour and then increasing $2 per hour every hour thereafter".
That's how I read it, too, but didn't know if that was correct or simply poor wording.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.