Parking charges at Century Square

53,770 Views | 260 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cyp0111
frito bandito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
armymom said:

I also got a response:

Quote:

Good morning,

Thank you for your concern and feedback, it is appreciated.

We most certainly understand your concern and position. Businesses and customers benefit when customers are able to find parking readily available. Managing parking at Century Square is not just to avoid becoming overflow campus or University event parking. In a mixed-use environment, where some of our visitors stay longer and others are making quick trips, a tiered system helps make sure convenient spaces for restaurants and shops are available. Revenue from parking helps pay for free community event programming.

In addition, it is a Midway tradition to donate a portion of parking proceeds to local charities. As we have at our other properties, we look forward to sharing a portion of Century Square's parking revenue with charities that serve our B-CS community.

We have listened to our customers and businesses express their concerns, and we are sensitive to our community's feedback. Until the parking garage is open, Century Square will lower its on-street parking fee to $1.25 / hour to bring it in line with what other establishments in this community charge for parking in their garages.

Century Square continues to offer free and convenient on-street parking for customers making a quick stop or picking up online orders to carry out.

Thank you again for reaching out. (no signature)

Donating a portion of the parking fee to charities makes it right? Sorry, that doesn't do it for me. Count me as another who won't pay to park at a local restaurant.
Cyp0111
I imagine this will evolve over time to premium parking around the green will have a fee. The parking garage will be free. The parking in front of the strip center with Orange Theory, Mo's etc will be free on non-peak times.
KidDoc
AG
That's great they support local charities but how about I get to keep my money and donate to charities I want to support and get an IRS deduction. That is such a scam.

What "other paid parking" in the area are they referring to with the $1.25/hr rate? Northgate?

I'm not aware of any paid parking aside from game day or on campus parking garages.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cyp0111
Correct. It is a bs response from Midway. Smart parking is better than cash grab.

Have premium parking on Fri-Sat nights but keep the garage free. Have metered parking on gamedays or bigger event days.
taxpreparer
AG
Dear Midway,

I can donate to my favorite charities without your help. Especially since I won't be paying parking fees to you, or your tennants.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Gigem314
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I imagine this will evolve over time to premium parking around the green will have a fee. The parking garage will be free. The parking in front of the strip center with Orange Theory, Mo's etc will be free on non-peak times.
That would be very reasonable. And frankly, that's what I expected after having been to CityCentre so many times. Though it sounds like they recently changed their parking policies too, which would have impacted how frequently we went over there if we were still in Houston.

I don't think it's asking too much to offer free garage parking. Or, like Rice Village in Houston, allow people to validate their parking with a receipt when they eat at a restaurant or buy something at a shop.
texasaggie04
AG
Be interested to see what happens. I tend to think they'll continue to charge and eventually people will get used to it and pay it. College station is slowly moving that way.

Even the bars on Northgate recognize there is a market. One of the awful clubs, maybe social, charges some ridiculous cover for guys on weekends. Like $15-20. But clearly somebody is paying it...
Scruffy
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Be interested to see what happens. I tend to think they'll continue to charge and eventually people will get used to it and pay it. College station is slowly moving that way.

Even the bars on Northgate recognize there is a market. One of the awful clubs, maybe social, charges some ridiculous cover for guys on weekends. Like $15-20. But clearly somebody is paying it...

Those bars also tend to not pay as close attention to who is imbibing from who's drinks, what their IDs look like, or if someone has already had enough for the night.

It's called "the dark side" of northgate for a reason.
redd38
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Unless I'm completely mistaken about what Tiff's Treats sells, those guys paying $15 cover are shopping for something Century Square doesn't provide.
australopithecus robustus
Underage guys don't have any business in a bar except to cause trouble. They should pay $10-$15.
Frio Cielo
Bad idea but with the few thousand visitors to campus, many on employer per diem, and to other businesses in town and the closeness of the restaurants, I bet they are hut but survive.

The only time they may be hurt is the summer months.

Does anyone have the average number of visitors daily from out of the county to BCS on business or vacation?

techno-ag
AG
Frio Cielo said:

Bad idea but with the few thousand visitors to campus, many on employer per diem, and to other businesses in town and the closeness of the restaurants, I bet they are hut but survive.

The only time they may be hurt is the summer months.

Does anyone have the average number of visitors daily from out of the county to BCS on business or vacation?

If that's their plan, they'll soon discover it's limited in potential. There are only so many home games and big events. Your bread and butter is local business, and they're doing their best to run that off.
halibut sinclair
australopithecus robustus
Well said Techno. Business here is "propped up" to profit during fall and spring. $ is lost in winter and summer, break even if lucky. The locals are desperately needed at those times. Of course, locals tend to travel during those times, so really the town needs more year round static industry to support the businesses anyway.
Expert Analysis
AG
I would go to WOB more but the parking is bad. I'm definetely not going to century square to pay for bad parking options.
Savi777
I know it's not right across from campus, but you can park at the Stella hotel for free, AND If you eat at the restaurant or any of the bars you get complimentary valet parking. There is also a really nice coffee shop right next to it (but that's not part of the valet deal). And the entire place is dog friendly!
OBannonsPub
AG
With all of the new restaurants and development popping up around town I think NG has seen a drop in our happy hour/dinner time crowd (4pm-9pm). The city has just installed equipment in the NG garage where the business can give you a ticket that would validate your parking. However, this comes at the cost of the business as they have to purchase the tickets from the city. I'm on the Northgate District Association board and the city has expressed to us an overall plan where they'd like to see many more retail/restaurants come to the NG area. I just don't see that happening if you have to pay to park. It's fine for the late night bar crowd but kills happy hour & dinner.

At Blackwater, we haven't bought into the validation system yet. We aren't sure ppl will park in the garage and walk over to BWD. Our next thought has been to offer $1-$2 off your tab if you park in the surface lot, essentially making your parking free for an hour depending on the surface lot rate.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on if a few NG businesses did something like this would it make a difference in your choice to come to NG. There are a lot of locals who simply won't come to NG just because of the reputation that it has. BWD is completely different than most of NG though.
techno-ag
AG
I've only been to BWD for lunch. You're right, I don't think of NG establishments for supper options. We usually take the family to Restaurant Row or someplace in Bryan if we go out to eat in the evening.
Cyp0111
NG is lunch for food only imo. NG has also turned less than nice over the past few years with some of the joints.
Scruffy
AG
Cyp0111 said:

NG is lunch for food only imo. NG has also turned less than nice over the past few years with some of the joints.

I'm not sure what what that means, can you clarify?
Most of the party people don't go out until 11 or later. Many of the less than desireable bars don't even open until after 9, and that's on Thursday-Saturday. They don't even open Sunday through Tuesday.

It does seem that CoC with their parking has relegated northgate proper to be a stricktly bar district in many people's minds.

With the demise of fitzwillies, the only real food oriented place is Blackwater. Just last Friday I was lamenting not having NY Subs.

I know Duddleys has good food. I know the Chicken has food. West End has pretty good food too and is working to expand their menu. But other than Blackwater and Westend, there doesn't seem to be any place professionals want to eat after work. Difficulties parking doesn't help that. With the construction in the area, there is a lack of free parking. Unless one shows up right about 5pm, there is no free parking near the restaurants.

Maybe the city can eminent domain the coyote lot from the chicken and turn it into city parking, thus removing the only private lot from the area? Make all surface parking in the area city owned and operated?

The city has done a poor job of growing and promoting northgate. It was and is more than just a bar district for the undergrads to get wasted on after 11 Thursday through Saturday.
MsC2012
AG
I just reached out to Orange Theory and told them if I have to pay to park each time I want to cancel my contract.
AggieBarstool
Scruffy said:

Cyp0111 said:

The city has done a poor job of growing and promoting northgate. It was and is more than just a bar district for the undergrads to get wasted on after 11 Thursday through Saturday.
Is it though? I'm a 30-something year old professional who's lived in the area for 15+ years and that's still my perspective of NG: a place for youngsters to get drunk. I want none of that.
MsC2012
AG
I got a response already:

Hi! Orangetheory Fitness will provide validation parking for workout time only.

So will be interesting how that works

Oogway
That is ours as well; we either go to Cafe Eccell or downtown Bryan because we don't want to mix with the young potent potable crowd.
KidDoc
AG
As mid 40's townie professional we will occasionally pay the $1 parking fee on Northgate to eat @ Blackwater or Corner Bar especially if we have a coupon or there is a special (like BWD doing BOGO burgers the first Monday). I don't feel like the $1 for an hour parking is a deterrent at Northgate. $3 doesn't sound like much but it really is as far as a percentage of the total cost of the excursion especially if meeting people. $3 per car turns into $9 pretty quick which is the typical cost of a dinner meal on NG. So meeting a few friends/kids at Century Square turns into buying an additional meal when all the parking is added in.

It may end up working but it is very concerning across the spectrum. I could go to Blaze or Hopdoddy and pay $3+ to park or go to RX pizza/Grub and pay $0 for parking.

Same could be said for Porter's vs Verita's/Republic/Christopher's.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
motherrunnersBCS
I'd eat at NG a couple of times a month if the food truck court would ever open. I go to Blackwater for the tuna nachos maybe four times a year because I get a craving for them and DH loves the burgers and they have parking and I can bring my dog. I go to West End during student breaks because I like their pizza and they have the best Aviation in town. Food truck court and cheaper parking would definitely increase my visits.

The Stella also has a great Whiskey bar. I am not going to miss The George. I wanted to schedule a fundraiser at the The George if their space was good for our group, but not if the patrons would have to pay for parking. We will probably go to Stella.
sunshine1
Folks, Century Square learned this from the airlines and charging for bags even carry-ons. And they have gotten their service reps from Suddenlink. At least you have other places to eat.
FlyRod
Northgate hasn't been a dinner location since the original Cafe Eccell closed. Good for lunch and post-bar ballast, but a nice sit-down dinner? BWD is the closest there is, and barely at that (wine selection there sucks, because brewpub).

Century Square is trickier, with Cavalry Court and Porter's...I suppose if I was going to fork over the $$$ for Porter's, what's a few dollars more? But then that thought is immediately followed by "Nah, think I'll just go to The Republic instead."
Cyp0111
The nice restaurants in City Centre (Midway development) have complimentary valet parking.

Since Porter's Steakhouse fashions itself to be an Eddie V's or Capital Grill type restaurant they will likely have a similar setup.
Belton Ag
AG
So let me get this straight...

If I have a hankering for a burger for lunch and I swing into Hopdoddy, I'll pay about $10 for the burger, an extra $5 for fries and $7 for a milkshake. In addition, I get hit up by some parking lot meter maid for $3 just to park there. So basically $25 for my hamburger lunch.

That about it?
Cancelled
AG
The simple solution is just to boycott the businesses that you don't agree with. Money talks, BS walks.
redd38
AG
Belton Ag said:

If I have a hankering for a burger for lunch and want to swing into Hopdoddy, I'll pay about $10 fur the burger, an extra $5 for fries and $7 for a milkshake. In addition, I get hit up by some parking lot meter maid for $3 just to park there. So basically $25 for my hamburger lunch.

That about it?

You want the burger insurance too, right? That'll be another $2.50. If you talk to the manger he can waive the salt protection fee on the fries. That'll save you about $1.
Cyp0111
but some of the money goes to a charity not of your choosing....lol....
one MEEN Ag
AG
redd38 said:

Belton Ag said:

If I have a hankering for a burger for lunch and want to swing into Hopdoddy, I'll pay about $10 fur the burger, an extra $5 for fries and $7 for a milkshake. In addition, I get hit up by some parking lot meter maid for $3 just to park there. So basically $25 for my hamburger lunch.

That about it?

You want the burger insurance too, right? That'll be another $2.50. If you talk to the manger he can waive the salt protection fee on the fries. That'll save you about $1.

Forgot liqueur infusions in your milkshake. Brings the total up, bu it's okay, the Hooked app saved me $3.50 on it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A&M may add a parking garage across from Century Square to help with parking.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Texas-AM-says-parking-garage-across-from-Century-Square-a-possibility--449162293.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.