Swamp Tails Cajun Restaurant and Bar

53,665 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LastHamlet
Aggie09Derek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
His way would be definitely on purpose. Much better to just give someone an extra 15 cents and have them appreciate it than give them 85 cents back. Lots of places have the waiter pay the restaurant at the end of the night, so in that case the waiter would be taking 15 cents out of their pocket and not the establishments.
annie88
AG
Well, that's true. How unfortunate.
Aggie09Derek
AG
how is that unfortunate?

The waiter is giving the customer a few cents and saving them the time of counting out coins...and in turn most customers appreciate that and maybe will tip an extra dollar.
techno-ag
AG
I just use my rewards credit card. Extra points earned when dining out.
annie88
AG
quote:
how is that unfortunate?

The waiter is giving the customer a few cents and saving them the time of counting out coins...and in turn most customers appreciate that and maybe will tip an extra dollar.
I think I misunderstood you and was commenting on the shorting the customer as being unfortunate and I quoted the wrong person when I was making the comment about it not being on purpose. The one I quoted had a good experience, I meant to quote the bad experience. I can't read well today, apparently. I blame it being first day of college football!
Aggie09Derek
AG
You definitely had me confused.

Can't wait to try this place out on game weekends. I love Cajun food - eat it 1-2 times a week in Houston.
annie88
AG
Although, oddly, I went to Swamp tales today and I almost majorly shortchanged the waitress!

I needed some ones to give bill + tip and asked her to change a $5. I pulled the $5 out in my hand and held it out and she gave me the 5 ones. Apparently she didn't take the $5 from my hand (I thought she did) and I put it back in my wallet with the extra 3 ones and put the other 2 ones with the $20 to make total be $22. I gave her the holder with the $22 and said "keep the change."

She stood there for a moment and said "does this include the $5?" and I was confused for a second because I thought she'd taken the $5, but sure enough it was in my wallet. I know I only had one 5 and the rest 20s, so I did screw up there.

But, I guess it is easy to make a mistake! I just hope she didn't think I was trying to scam her.
Tailgate88
AG
My gawd people complain about the most bizarre things.
montegobay
Open on Sundays 11-4 now.
swamptails
Yes, we are open on Sundays 11-4 thank you. Happy Hour is also all day Sunday. Aggie game day Happy Hour is also all day and Happy Hour is from 2-close for Monday and Thursday night football. Also, this Thursday Sept.10, the crew from Maverick 100.9 will be here from 4 to 5:30 for "Give It A Whirl"
Tailgate88
AG
Swamp tails, do you have wine?
swamptails
Yes we do. It is a limited selection right now because we don't have a lot of requests and we don't want to throw away bottles. We carry Sutter Home Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Cab and Pinot Noir by the glass and we are considering getting there Malbec.
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks
jt2hunt
AG
Here now and had fried alligator bites which I really like except for
The price.
The touffe is really good, really good!
BCStalk
Aligator burger was pretty good. Wife really enjoyed the fried shrimp po boy. I really wish they had a fried shrimp platter because the shrimp and sauce was good. Definitely will go back.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Is it open today?
BCStalk
11-4
Jayjay4268
AG
We went on Friday night and LOVED it, and we typically don't even like Cajun food. They had a special (forgot the name) that'll probably show up on the menu soon-creamy cheese grits topped with boudin hash and 6 fried shrimp. Ask for it. Really spicy, but would gladly eat that every day for the rest of my life. Wait staff was exceptional. Great hidden gem (for now at least) to avoid the droves of people in town for games.
justalocal
We ordered take-out last week, bill was $27 and change for a shrimp po boy, cup of seafood gumbo, crawfish touffe, and a side of hush puppies. Food was good - portion of the gumbo and touffe were small for the price. IMO. touffe had good flavor with the grits but the texture was not for me. I didn't have much seafood in my gumbo (2 pieces of shrimp is all I found in it). My other half liked the poboy and hush puppies were ok (not the best I've had but edible). We would definitely try it again.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Went today...fried boudin and lunch portion of etoufee were good!
annie88
AG
their boudin balls are fantastic!
SchnauzerMom
My husband and I tried Swamp Tails today for lunch based upon this thread and word of mouth. We tried the boudin balls, oyster poboy, and buffalo chicken sandwich (I currently have to limit my fish/seafood intake). All of which were fantastic. My family is from Louisiana and I am extremely picky about Cajun food. I would go back to Swamp Tails again and take my Louisiana family. I can't wait to go at dinner to try some of their specialties. IMO, price point was fine for the quality of food we received. If I had to throw out a suggestion....pound the chicken out a little thinner for the chicken sandwiches. Can't wait to go back though!
TulaneAg
We tried Swamp Tails on Sunday at lunch before we left town and were very impressed. I thought it was reasonably priced contrary to what some on here have posted. We had a barbecue shrimp appetizer. My daughter and I shared the Crawfish Etouffee lunch, cup of red beans & rice, cup of chicken/sausage jumbalaya, and a cup of chicken/sausage gumbo so we could sample as much as possible. My wife had the fried-shrimp po-boy. Don't remember what my daughter's bff had...she's not much of a talker.

BBQ shrimp appetizer - all the girls loved it, i thought it was good not great. not up to par with Deanie's but very good for College Station.
Fried Shrimp po-boy - wife raved about it. bread was perfect. right mix of lettuce, tomato, remoulade, etc. she wants to try the blackened shrimp next time.
Crawfish Etouffee - honestly, I've never had Etouffee over cheese grits. it was a touch awkward to me...probably would've like white rice better, but overall flavor of the etouffee was out of this world. not sure I've had better flavor. crawfish were not great for texture and taste but to be expected out of season.
Red Beans & Rice - I loved it, my daughter thought it was good not great.
Chicken/Sausage Gumbo - both daughter and I thought it was great. neither of us are usually big gumbo fans but this was awesome for taste and texture.
Chicken/Sausage Jumbalaya - not great for either of us. We are usually huge jumbalaya fans but this didn't catch our fancy. It was really white/yellow and not red/pink so I think it was missing some of the sweet tomato base that we're probably used to.

Kinda weird thing to review, but my daughter and I are fine with the taste of most vegetables but hate the consistency/texture of onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc. We loved this place because everything was chopped small and cooked down so there was no picking around big veggie chunks for us. We were able to plow through everything while keeping good solid flavor. Two thumbs up from us, we'll be back!
montegobay
If you haven't tried the whiskey pound cake, do yourself a favor and save room for dessert! Amazing!
DTP02
AG
I really like this place. Have eaten there twice now, and enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere both times. I really like the twist on the etouffee with having it on grits instead of rice.

One suggestion I do have, which I think especially makes sense at dinner when everything is a little more expensive, is to serve bread with the entres.
swamptails
Swamp Tails would like to give thanks to all who continue to support us and although it is tough competing with the chains in this town, we will continue to work on trying to be one of the best Restaurants in the area.
We would like to give a quick update on what is happening at Swamp Tails. We have added a couple new items to our menu. We now have wings (buffalo, cajun sweet & spicy and spicy BBQ) we also have added a Cajun 1/2 lb Beef Burger. (Frog legs coming soon) Starting Oct. 7th, we will be having live entertainment on the deck every Wed. night from 7pm-10pm. Happy Hour is now M-Fri 2pm-close and all day Sat and Sun. For those of you looking for a place to watch Football, a TV can be seen from every seat in the house and we do have the sound on for games. Thanks again for the support, hope to see you soon.
FlyRod
Don't worry about competing with the chains, as a good local restaurant you are doing just great! Looking forward to the frog legs. Just don't take those fantastic crab cakes off the menu!
annie88
AG
Went again on Tuesday. Yum again.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Went there for the 3rd time after the game this weekend. Perfect spot to relax and catch some games after a game at Kyle and let the traffic die down.

Food has been superb all 3 times.

Claire91
Went to Swamp Tails again yesterday and it was outstanding as usual. I had the Cajun Burger yesterday and honestly, it might have been the best burger I have ever had. The owner came by the table to thank us for coming out (don't see this much anymore) and we had a nice conversation. If you haven't had the chance to talk to him you should. His passion for pleasing his guests is amazing. We asked how business was and he said a little strange. He said the students don't come. Hard to believe. I would have loved this place when I was in school. He asked if I would help spread the word to "adults" that if they are looking for a place that is not over run by students that Swamp Tails is the place. This is my favorite Restaurant so I am being selfish, but people, we need to support this place. B/CS needs a place like this. It's nice to go to a place where they actually appreciate you being there and treat you that way. Let's rally around this place and keep them around for a long time. Remember, they are Aggie owned and by the way, they do have the coldest beer in town.
jja79
AG
Went last Sunday before leaving town after Western Carolina. Gumbo was very bland. Food was ok, but not worth going back at the prices. I can understand why students don't go.

He should hire the people who run Remnant from Nawlins and let them cook.
DimeBox17
AG
Was not satisfied with the seafood platter for the price I paid for it. Grilled shrimp had no flavor but the catfish was good. Really wish there was more options for sides. Always willing to give Aggies my business so next time I will try something different. No complaints about service
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
The crawfish etouffee was the best I have ever had. I was a bit apprehensive about it being served on grits but it turned out to be fantastic.
Smittyfubar
AG
I second that Tom. I wasn't sure about it being on the cheesy grits, but it was great! My wife loved it and she hates grits.
KidDoc
AG
We had lunch there a week or so ago. Was very good and the buffalo shrimp was very filling. Total bill was less than going to Salada for lunch.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.