Swamp Tails Cajun Restaurant and Bar

53,568 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LastHamlet
Carnwellag2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't think this one will last.
No crawfish tails on the menu
Bad location
Ok service.

Did I mention - bad menu
FlyRod
Uh, did you miss the crawfish etouffe...which is made with crawfish tails?
aggmaroon
AG
I thought they had a great menu. I guess we will agree to disagree if that's possible on Texags/MyBCS. Lol
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:

And... They are quite generous with the bugs in the touffe!
Gigem314
AG
Been meaning to give this place a try. It's encouraging to hear good reviews.
jja79
AG
Do they have a special Shiner Bock other places don't have? I've seen it mentioned a few times. Aren't they all the same?
Carnwellag2
quote:
saw it.

for a business named swamp tails, one would think they would offer some crawfish tail choices: po boy; part of seafood platter, stand alone platter, etc.
annie88
AG
quote:
quote:
saw it.

for a business named swamp tails, one would think they would offer some crawfish tail choices: po boy; part of seafood platter, stand alone platter, etc.
The bottom of the menu did state that they will be expanding it, so possible these items will show up eventually. I thought they had a good, full menu already, personally.
thefarcus
I had the alligator burger with a crawfish sauce (etoufee) on top and the grilled shrimp po boy. Both were really tasty, the portions were good sized and the flavor was fresh.
AggiePhil
AG
Tried it again. The batter on the fried shrimp was a bit much. Will try the grilled or blackened next time.
stonebase
Wife and I had dinner here last night. What a great experience. Atmosphere is really cool, large bar, tv's everywhere, a real casual dinner and "hang-out" place. Server was very prompt to greet and attentive afterwards. Food was probably as authentic as it gets. Boudain Balls, Fried Seafood plate and Shrimp Jumbalaya were all tasty. Only slight downfall was dessert, had the Key Lime Pie, it wasn't bad or anything, was OK, but after the great dinner expected something a little truer to the taste. Who knows, maybe our taste buds were sensitized from all the spices. All in all it was a most enjoyable dinner and we'll definitely try it again to sample some of the other dishes!!!!
techno-ag
AG
Glad to hear the good reviews about this place. Nice to have a Cajun option in town.
halibut sinclair
birdman
I agree with previous posters. It is great atmosphere and good to great food.

Guy running it is the competent half of Prospectors.
montegobay
Just had dinner there. We split the crab au gratin and the seafood platter. So much food! It was all really good! I am not a lover of catfish, but the blackened catfish was the best I've ever tasted. Hubby says it's his new favorite place. Terrific service. Waitress suggested pound cake with whisky sauce for dessert( homemade), but we were too full. Next time!!
lightswitch
You can see the menu on their website:

http://swamptails.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/swamp-tails_legal-menu_side-A_5.0.pdf

Menu is solid enough, personally, I dislike menus that reads like novellas. Seafood platter is comparable to Red Lobster which isn't that great.

It seems seems that the owner is more than willing to address any complaints or disappointments the few have had on this board. I'd suggest talking to the wait staff, when you are there, then they can take care of it right then...

BTW, where is the SCARY part of town around here? If it's Westgate area, bhahahahahaha, someone doesn't get out enough.
TxAggies2012
we enjoyed our dinner at Swamp Tails. I think the menu is a little light, but perfectly good to start with. Hope they continue to expand it.

Chicken & Sausauge Jambalaya was a bit dry and bland, but it was still good enough. Can't wait to try the gumbo, alligator burger, and the blackened redfish.

The shrimp was good, and had a nice little kick to it. I hope they do well. They'll be in our rotation for dinner spots for sure.
jja79
AG
How do they stack up with Remnant from Nawlins?
FlyRod
Just saw on their Facebook page they introduced a $7.95 lunch menu...smaller portions of their regular items.
TxAggies2012
I haven't had the gumbo from ST's yet, but it's the only thing I've ordered from Remnant from Nawlins.

Dont want to comment on comparisons until I try their gumbo. But obviously having the ability to have a full service restaurant and bar is huge for Swamp Tails. The environment alone makes it more comfortable when going to eat for the family than picking it up in Styrofoam and bags to take home and eat. I love the gumbo from Remnants though.

Yes, the lunch menu of $7.95 is offered all day, which is really nice.
jja79
AG
Heading to town sunday. Monday lunch from Remnant. It's fantastic.
annie88
AG
I went again earlier this week. The boudin balls are just great. Second time I've had them. I was a bit disappointed int he shrimp po-boy though. The shrimp was good, but the bread was too big and too hard. I just ate around it for the most part.

I had the Cajun potato salad too and I guess I'm a wimp, because I though it was really spicy. Almost hard to eat (for me, probably fine for spicy lovers). My friend had the Cajun chips and they were awesome.

Gonna try the red fish next time. Glad to hear about the lunch portions.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Had lunch there today. Beans and rice w/sausage. Good not great. Took forever to get service. Small portions. Damn. I'm still hungry.
Claire91
My family went last night. We all loved it. My husband ate the alligator burger and it was delicious! What a novel idea. I had the crawfish etouffee. I had never heard of it being made with grits (and I am not usually a fan of grits) but it was outstanding. Seriously. The older kids ordered from the boiling pot and ate every bite. The youngest loved the kids shrimp. My husband is a huge crawfish fan. The owner said that they will be getting crawfish in season. He came around to talk with us, which was refreshing, and was very nice. The atmosphere is very laid back and friendly. It was nice to go and be able to hear one another at the table. With my husband's job, we have been all over Louisiana and have eaten at plenty of cajun places. We think this place can hang with the best of them. And we thought the menu had just the right amount of food, easy to read with good prices I told him we would spread the word about our new favorite.
swamptails
Truly sorry about your wait before getting greeted. That issue has been addressed and taken care of. As for the portion size, sorry you feel it is too small, it is a 12 ounce bowl. We will look into larger portions. Thanks for the comments.
BL_45_acp
Was there tonight for the first time. Had a great meal. We were part of a fair size group and had a good sample of the menu. Met the owner/mgr Randy. Nice guy, has great hopes. Good size portions and in my feeble mind very fair on prices for quality and amount served. will be back for more.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Was there tonight for the first time. Had a great meal. We were part of a fair size group and had a good sample of the menu. Met the owner/mgr Randy. Nice guy, has great hopes. Good size portions and in my feeble mind very fair on prices for quality and amount served. will be back for more.
CN
I had their etouffe, which is my favorite cajun dish, and I thought it was great. I really like their take with grits. My one criticism would be that the crawfish wasn't very firm. It had the consistency of crawfish you'd find in gumbo.
Mr. Griswold
Tried the fried catfish basket the other day. It was just OK. They're frying the entire catfish fillet whole so it pretty much has to be eaten with a fork. It'd be nice if they cut it into smaller strips that you could eat by hand. Also, the fish was a bit tough and the batter separated from it.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
I had the oyster poorboy and fries for lunch. It was very good. Others members of my lunch party had seafood gumbo and shrimp poorboy and they all said that the food was very good.
swamptails
Mr. Griswold, next time you are in and want the catfish basket in nuggets, just ask and we will be happy to do it for you.
ksp
quote:
Mr. Griswold, next time you are in and want the catfish basket in nuggets, just ask and we will be happy to do it for you.
Strips, strips I say, not nuggets!
MiMi
S
Went to dinner last night. I had the Barbecued Shrimp and a cup of Creole Onion soup. Husband had the Fried Shrimp Basket with potato salad and a cup of Jambalaya. We shared an appetizer basket of Cajun Chips (not on the menu but they were happy to prepare it for us). Everything was outstanding. Beware - the Barbecued Shrimp is very spicy (which I love). Service was great (thanks Colton!), beer was just the right temperature and hubby enjoyed his margarita.
I was a bit worried when we arrived because the dining room was pretty empty with the servers all huddled up at the hostess stand. However, we ate pretty early (6pm). By the time we left, customers we arriving and the servers dispersed to take care of them. If the owner reads this, I would recommend telling the servers to stop socializing in a large group by the front door.
halibut sinclair
quote:
If the owner reads this, I would recommend telling the servers to stop socializing in a large group by the front door.
Yep, that was kind of a turn off when we were there for lunch a few weeks ago. Food was great, though.
Tailgate88
AG
Do they serve wine?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.