Swamp Tails Cajun Restaurant and Bar

54,167 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LastHamlet
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes in reference to Scotch's post
Tailgate88
AG
Swamp Tails, y'all got wine? I like to wash my gator down with a nice glass of Malbec.
halibut sinclair
quote:
The quote was in reference to Scotch's post, not Swamp Tails.

I think Scotch knows that.
Tariny
My husband and I went to Swamp Tails on Friday for lunch. The fried shrimp was some of the best I've ever had - breading was buttery and had an amazing texture, the shrimp were plump and perfectly cooked. The potato salad was really good, but really, really spicy, so I had to trade it in on some fries. My husband had the etouffee and said it was okay, but would have been a lot better over rice instead of something that had the consistency of porridge (I didn't try it because while he's a fan of spicy, I'm a wuss when it comes to heat).

Both of us had the lunch portions, both of us felt like we received enough food to be happy, but next time we will order water instead of tea ($2.35 was a bit steep). I have already recommended them to lots of my friends.
toolshed
AG
quote:
quote:
The quote was in reference to Scotch's post, not Swamp Tails.

I think Scotch knows that.

Reading fail on my part...I'll go back to being zoned out on a Saturday afternoon.
Frio Cielo
Went last night and it was very good. The gumbo was about the best I have had this side of the Sabine River. For the price I could have had a little more.

My wife said her Alfredo dish was also very good. Tea was fresh and the waitress was good.

The only comment that I would have is that it was a surprise that they was no bread or crackers served with the meals. We ask for bread and the waitress said it was $2 or something. Not objectionable to paying, but it seemed odd to pay $57 (inc app., tip, no alcohol) for two persons for supper and also have to pay for bread with the meal.

Otherwise a very good dining experience, great location, great atmosphere, and we will be back.

jja79
AG
I know this is a Swamp Tails b thread but some other places have been mentioned and I do intend to give this place a try on a trip into town.

Today when we got to town we had Remnant of Nawlins. $19 was the bill for blackened catfish, green beans and potato salad, etoufe and wings with fries. As always it was excellent.
Kendall Rogers
AG
Sounds worth trying.
Gravy
AG
I went there for lunch twice. I like the location and the ambience. Gumbo is my favorite Cajun dish, and etouffee a close second.

The gumbo had a good flavor, but not enough "chunks" of meat in it (either seafood or chicken and sausage). They were also really small portions. the etoufee on grits was okay....if I had to choose, I would rather have it on rice.

Give me Hebert's menu, portions, and recipes (gumbo, etouffee, and Cajun pot roast sandwich), at that location with the setup, bars, and music, and you got a winning combo!

*In any case, glad to have another Cajun place in town, and best of luck to a successful venture. I'll definitely at least drop in for beers and appetizers after a day's work!
Claire91
Just curious what you think the portion should be. I have had the Gumbo several times there and feel like the portion is plenty for $8. It is a soup, not a big meal. Also, being from Louisiana, Gumbos cooked correctly should not have big chunks. It should be cooked long enough for the meats or seafood to break down. That is why it tastes so good.
Gravy
AG
Fair enough questions as I was sorta vague on those aspects.

Here are some examples of what I meant. The following link goes to an old Hebert's menu. I generally would get the 32 ounce gumbo. Now I realize Hebert's didn't have as many employees or the larger rent costs (assumed), so Swamptails probably cannot match the price for that amount, but I would be willing to go a few bucks more (although not double).

https://www.google.com/search?q=hebert's+cajun+menu&biw=1440&bih=728&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoA2oVChMIzqSHqbK2xwIVQQWSCh20zgGX#imgrc=CdQWdVTwdFU-BM%3A">https://www.google.com/search?q=hebert's+cajun+menu&biw=1440&bih=728&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoA2oVChMIzqSHqbK2xwIVQQWSCh20zgGX#imgrc=CdQWdVTwdFU-BM%3A

Regarding my "chunks" comment. I have been to Louisiana many times, and eaten gumbo made by many a Cajun that has what I'm talking about (whether it's right or wrong, it's delicious)! One of the best (in my opinion) is made by a place near Lafayette called Prejean's (their duck and Andouille isgumbo is the best ever).

https://www.google.com/search?q=prejeans+gumbo&biw=1440&bih=728&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIyOiZh7O2xwIVUwWSCh3eOQas#imgrc=op7NRzBerRnznM%3A ">https://www.google.com/search?q=prejeans+gumbo&biw=1440&bih=728&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIyOiZh7O2xwIVUwWSCh3eOQas#imgrc=op7NRzBerRnznM%3A

To each their own of course. Just where I'm coming from. Again, I am glad there is a Cajun option in town again, and I do see the place a great party-like atmosphere for a happy hour after work. I also still need to try the crab cakes!
Aggie09Derek
AG
RIP Hebert's.....damn I loved that place. Great food and low prices.
techno-ag
AG
KBTX "Half Price Thursdays" this week will feature gift certificates for Swamp Tails. $15 certificates will be on sale for $7.50. Some of y'all complaining about price may want to jump on this.
FlyRod
Rexter
Maybe Herbert's shoulda raised prices to stay open....just sayin.

Prejeans is excellent. Ran into Biker Bob in Daytona at Bikeweek one time. He invited us into his motor home and fed our group a real-deal Cajun feast. Heckuva nice guy.
FlyRod
It was Hebert's, BTW. "Herbert" is the disturbing old man from Family Guy.
Rexter
Stupid autocorrect......
Scotch
AG
The quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons is Bobby Hebert. No "r", which I find fascinating. You know it's Herbert h-e-r-b-e-r-t, Hebert h-e-b-e-r-t. "Hebert" it's a fun name to pronounce. Try and say it Hebert. Take a shot.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
The quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons is Bobby Hebert. No "r", which I find fascinating. You know it's Herbert h-e-r-b-e-r-t, Hebert h-e-b-e-r-t. "Hebert" it's a fun name to pronounce. Try and say it Hebert. Take a shot.

Thank you Scotch. I would have done this tomorrow morning if you did it didn't
techno-ag
AG
quote:
"Hey Bear!"
texag47
AG
For any of those who liked Swamp Tails...it is live this morning on KBTX Half Price Thursday. $15 voucher for only $7.50. Just sayin!
techno-ag
Claire91
Agree. I went to try Razzoo's last night. Ok, not great, but more expensive than Swamp Tails. Don't see any complaining about price at Razzoo's. I guess chains get a pass, don't know. Swamp Tails if you are listening, you have got my business. I love your food, your atmosphere and the coldest beer in town. See you this weekend.
FlyRod
quote:
Don't see any complaining about price at Razzoo's. I guess chains get a pass,

This happens a lot here.
Claire91
Maybe this town's taste buds are ruined by all of the mediocre chain food. We forgot what good food tastes like.
FlyRod
Well, there are a lot (a LOT) of excellent non-chain places in BCS, from the very humble and low-brow to the fancy. I'm quite pleased and happy with what we have, and always welcome something new.

Seek and ye shall find.
Gravy
AG
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up on Razzoo's! I'll have to give it a shot and see if their gumbo passes the test. So far, mine is the best (and cheapest) in town. Of course, by "mine," I mean using the recipe from Prejean's.......
CactusThomas
AG
Was there last night. My wife and I were greeted by committee at the hostess stand and every one was very friendly. Our service was great the whole time. My wife loves Cajun food and really liked her meal. I was most impressed by the happy hour drink prices and the atmosphere.

A suggestion for Swamp Tails:

I did not see a drink menu; I think a unique cocktail menu would be a good idea. The atmosphere is nice and a drink menu would encourage people to hang around longer and spend more money.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

A suggestion for Swamp Tails:

I did not see a drink menu; I think a unique cocktail menu would be a good idea. The atmosphere is nice and a drink menu would encourage people to hang around longer and spend more money.
I think Razoo's has that market down/cornered. We looked at their drink menu and were wowed by the variety. One even had a slice of watermelon. Their local craft beer selection was impressive, too.
halibut sinclair
quote:
One even had a slice of watermelon.
Holy Crap! That is innovation personified.
FlyRod
annie88
AG

quote:
The potato salad was really good, but really, really spicy, so I had to trade it in on some fries.
I agree, it was way to spicy, we traded in as well. Pulling back a bit on the kick here would benefit. Keep it flavorful but not painful.

quote:
tea ($2.35 was a bit steep).
I agree, tea shouldn't be over $2, more in the range of $1.75.
australopithecus robustus
Tea at pappadeaux is like $2.75, or maybe more, just sayin...
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Tea at pappadeaux is like $2.75, or maybe more, just sayin...
As somebody explained earlier, Pappadeaux hits a higher paying market than ST or Razoo's. The same dish will be double or more in price at Pappadeaux and the resident food snobs will tell you it's a different customer base.
UmustBKidding
Last time I looked tea at papa's restaurants had creaped up to 2.29. This was long after places like chili's had gone up to 2.79. The thing that makes me mad is places with $3 non alcoholic drinks and don't include the price on the menu. If gubment wants to do something useful pass a law that says menu items must have a price.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.