Swamp Tails Cajun Restaurant and Bar

53,683 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LastHamlet
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My point was that if pappadeaux is $3ish, $2ish at less expensive places is likely commensurate. (Unlimited refills of course)
FlyRod
This is why we can't have nice things/restaurants.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
My point was that if pappadeaux is $3ish, $2ish at less expensive places is likely commensurate. (Unlimited refills of course)
Yeah, even if you have to pour it out, keep getting refills.
Claire91
I'm curious where else you can go and get tea for under $2.50. Maybe Swamp Tails should just give away their food and drinks. For one, I am glad that we have some fellow Aggies trying to do something nice in this town. Maybe I am an old school Aggie, but it seems we should be trying to support this place instead of complaining about the price of tea, it's embarrassing.
FlyRod
Blue star for you Claire. People love to go "Go Ags!" and then run to the chains to save 20 cents. Sadly that's why the local high end places tend to do better and last longer (customers don't worry about 20 cents) then the Mom and Pop smaller places that try to be unique and interesting. Some make it...lots don't. I hope Swamp Tails makes it.
swamptails
Wow, thank you Claire and FlyRod for the support. Claire, we need you on our marketing team. Here at Swamp Tails we understand the concerns about pricing and we will continue to try and adjust as best we can. We don't want to be Razzoo's or Papadeaux or anyone else. We want to be Swamp Tails. We don't get the food pricing that chains get and we don't have pre-made food sent to us and that is okay. But what we do have is the determination and a vision to be a place that is known in this community as a place that has a relaxing atmosphere and where you can get a made from scratch meal with high quality products at a reasonable price. We have only been open two months and we listen to what you have to say and we continue to make improvements. We thank all of you for the comments and support.

Now, what we originally got on the site for:
Swamp Tails is offering a back to school promotion for Gift Cards. Starting today, we will be selling Gift Cards at a 25% discount. Great gift for students, friends or yourself. Offer will end Sept.6th. No limit on the amount of cards purchased.
swamptails
FlyRod, next time you are in, please ask for Randy and introduce yourself. Would love to meet you if I haven't already.
Claire91
Sorry for the rant. As you can tell I am a big fan of local Mom and Pop's. Keep doing what you are doing, your place is awesome!
dalejr4me
We went for dinner yesterday and really enjoyed it. Kinda sad they didn't have fried crawfish tails but hey cant complain everything else was very good. We will definitely go back.
swamptails
Thanks for the comment. Sorry about the crawfish, but we refuse to use the cheap Chinese crawfish. Wild caught crawfish is much more expensive and we are worried about the price we would have to charge. We will probably feature it in a special in the near future to see how it goes.
justalocal
quote:
I'm curious where else you can go and get tea for under $2.50
Since you asked, here are a couple (both with free refills while you dine)

McAlisters
Hullabaloo

There are others. I do look at drink prices and get water if it is above $1.99. I know some people never pay attention to price until the bill comes. I envy you unless you complain about the prices after you get the bill.
Might have to do a carry out order soon.

TXAggie1976
AG
I love Swamp Tails!!!! I am so happy you are there and love your food! Love going in on "off nights" and relaxing! I believe that now that the students and other community members are back.......it will get "crazy busy"! Good luck and so glad you jumped into this endeavor!
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm curious where else you can go and get tea for under $2.50
Since you asked, here are a couple (both with free refills while you dine)

McAlisters
Hullabaloo

There are others. I do look at drink prices and get water if it is above $1.99. I know some people never pay attention to price until the bill comes. I envy you unless you complain about the prices after you get the bill.
Might have to do a carry out order soon.

Whataburger's large tea is $2.32.

That said, tea is almost pure margin for restaurants. They love suckers like me who would rather pay the $2.50 for good tea than drink water. Food prices would be higher w/o the margin they make on drinks.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Thanks for the comment. Sorry about the crawfish, but we refuse to use the cheap Chinese crawfish.

Thank you! I will not eat crawfish or shrimp that are not from 'Murica!
FlyRod
^Yep. At most chain seafood places it's more about the sauces or the deep-fry batter than the quality of the shrimp or crawfish.
PS3D
Went last night. The Alligator Burger was good, though the potato salad was too spicy, and the chips ate good but half of it turned to crumbs before the dish was finished. The rest of my party seemed satisfied. The frozen Hurricane was good too.
Eliminatus
AG
Would yall that have been there consider this a good football viewing place? Looking for a new one. Hopefully not so crowded.

Haven't been yet but will go very soon. Looking forward to it. The complaints of too spicy potato salad have me drooling and hopefully it really will be spicy enough for me.
CactusThomas
AG
quote:
Would yall that have been there consider this a good football viewing place? Looking for a new one. Hopefully not so crowded.

Haven't been yet but will go very soon. Looking forward to it. The complaints of too spicy potato salad have me drooling and hopefully it really will be spicy enough for me.
Absolutely. Especially if you are wanting to sit at the bar.

This is assuming that they turn the sound on during games. I'm sure they would though.
Eliminatus
AG
Ok I went earlier today. Got the alligator burger and the barbecue shrimp.

All of it was damned good. The atmosphere was cool and relaxed. The server, though rather timid,(assuming still new), was very polite, attentive, and kept an eye on us the whole time and came over anytime we made eye contact.

All in all was delighted with the meal and service. Swamp tails has earned my respect so far and I will be going back for sure.

If yall are looking for constructive criticism I would say the patty portion of the burger was rather small. By the time I got done I still had about a 25 percent of the bun left. And the patty did not shift as I was eating it. I would estimate that it was only about 75 to 80 percent the size of the bun. Was really good though so I didn't complain at the meal. Just something to consider.

Also I did notice that my serving size of the BBQ shrimp was smaller than I was hoping but again was really tasty so I didn't care too much. Until my friends order of the shrimp got to the table and it was noticeably larger. Considwrably larger. Maybe a little better consistency in portions for appetizers would be great to see. Though pretty much every place I've been too does this to some extent. Just pointing it out.

But again, very tasty and the prices, thought not great, were fair. Looking forward to the ettoufe next time.
TheAlarmGuy
My Bride and i had Lunch Thursday, the Food was Great and the Etouffee was awesome. Our Waiter was Great. thanks Opening and Creating Jobs.

Good Luck and God Bless

David,
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
annie88
AG
quote:
Sorry for the rant. As you can tell I am a big fan of local Mom and Pop's. Keep doing what you are doing, your place is awesome!
I support them too, and I don't think a discussion on pricing is that horrible, insulting or anything you need to be ashamed or embarrassed about. I had tea there and honestly don't even remember how much it was, obviously didn't have an issues with it, but just commented on another comment. I don't think anything about that side conversation was a put down in any way, shape or form.

In fact, I started this thread from the beginning to compliment the restaurant.

Just not sure why everyone gets offended about everything these days. It was a discussion within a discussion. Period.

The owner himself asked for comments both good and bad.
techno-ag
AG
Hang in there, Annie. The food snobs are tough in this town.
Wicked Good Ag
Went with some friends last week. We have a group of five that likes to try different places usually every other week. This time it was just three of us...

Plenty of seating available, but yet we were sat next to kitchen door with 30 other booths available. Not what your patrons want to be seated unless have to be placed there. Didn't even help with service having waiter close by, slow to the point we had to get up and look for him to place an order so we could get back to work.

Food: between our group we got the crawfish (lunch size), gator burger, and gumbo both seafood and chicken/sausage. Along with calamari as an appetizer. While the food was decent, the lack of actual crawfish/ meat/ seafood was not ideal. They need more of it in the food or honestly charge a bit less in price.

Would we go again? yes, but I give a restaurant at least two tries however the value to me and my friends was not ideal. For $40+ we were a bit underwhelmed. My friend liked the burger, so may try it out next but would rather wait til my next trip to NOLA for crawfish

next week Kreuz's BBQ

annie88
AG
quote:
Hang in there, Annie. The food snobs are tough in this town.
FlyRod
It's a good thread Annie, thanks for starting it.

I for one don't see how arguing about what tea costs even remotely smacks of "snobbery"...but that word tends to get misused and over-used quite a lot on this board.
mgreen
Wicked Good Ag Five people ate for $40 and you are complaining about value?
Aggie09Derek
AG
He said 3 ate this time.
Gravy
AG
I tried Razzoos. As per usual, I got both gumbo's. It would have been easier to have them side by side, but based on memory, I think both of SwampTails gumbos had a slightly better flavor. Razzoos had larger portions, with "chunks" and for a slightly lesser price.

I would prefer all sodas and tea go to $5, that way I can justify just getting a beer!

ksp
The problem is beers do not get free refills
redball
My Workplace Proximity Associates and I tried Swamptails last week for lunch and enjoyed the food. However, when our server brought our change, he didn't return the "change", as in coinage. He rounded everything up to the nearest $1 and brought whole bills so I was shorted 36 cents, and the other two guys 58 cents and 15 cents. I'm not sure if it was our guy trying to pocket some extra dinero or a policy of Swamptails.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Frio Cielo
quote:
My Workplace Proximity Associates and I tried Swamptails last week for lunch and enjoyed the food. However, when our server brought our change, he didn't return the "change", as in coinage. He rounded everything up to the nearest $1 and brought whole bills so I was shorted 36 cents, and the other two guys 58 cents and 15 cents. I'm not sure if it was our guy trying to pocket some extra dinero or a policy of Swamptails.

Has anyone else had this experience?

No. I would say your waiter is a thief. I would have asked for the manager and asked about it and then left a note telling the waiter that the shortage was his tip.

I still wish then would serve bread with the meals.

Aggie09Derek
AG
I'm not cheap at all, but when a waiter does that to me I round down their tip a dollar.

Good waiters will do the opposite when its a high amount of change back (75 cents+)
swamptails
We are sorry to here about your experience. To be clear, we do not condone this practice and would like to rectify this situation. If you could give us a call (260-9500) we would appreciate it.
The Original AG 76
AG
And I had the exact OPPOSITE experience there a few weeks ago. The guy rounded it down and brought us our chsnge in bills only. I increased his tip significantly in appreciation.
annie88
AG
quote:
And I had the exact OPPOSITE experience there a few weeks ago. The guy rounded it down and brought us our chsnge in bills only. I increased his tip significantly in appreciation.

It's possible the waiter did this accidentally, and just went the wrong way. Or it could've been intentional. I'm sure the owner will figure it out. I've had waiters do this before, but they always round down. Again, could've been accidental.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.