Kreuz Market opens Monday February 2

46,143 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by originaltexan
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Count, that's some crazy talk.
Only (6) good restaurants?
Hwy 6...
Mathguy64
AG
For those of you in the "Fargo's is horrible" camp, in the last 6 months I have seen both Aaron Franklin and Moe Cason in there eating and smiling. Pretty sure those two know something about BBQ. Franklin got there too late for rib tips and had to settle for the bad brisket.
HUEY04
AG
Kreuz just switched up their brisket supplier and started trimming a bit more and tweaked their chicken cooking method and both are absolutely amazing now.
I still think fargo's may have a slight edge on pork ribs but the gap there has closed and fargo's chicken has been surpassed. I have never been a fan of brisket at fargo's, the smoke ring is barely evident and the texture is like a roast, I think they wrap their briskets too early and for too long.

C&J's is very consistently mediocre bbq while Fargo's and Kreuz are both consistently very good to great bbq.

To whoever said the sausage is different, it is the exact same sausage made at their lockhart plant and cooked by a pitmaster who spent the last 2 years as a cook at their lockhart location. To my taste their jalapeno cheese sausage is the best I have had anywhere.

edited to add: I have eaten with the owner of Blue Moon BBQ at Kreuz and he had nothing but compliments about all of the bbq and spent a decent amount of time trading tips and tricks with the pitmasters at Kreuz. It was nice to see that they all care a great deal about producing the best bbq they can and where all open to trying new ideas to make improvements.
malibu9in1
It's all about ones opinions and taste buds.
FlyRod
I'm one of the well known "food snobs" around here, and the idea that there are only 6 decent restaurants in BCS is quite simply patently absurd and empirically incorrect, regardless of one's personal tastes.

As far as BBQ goes, I have eaten at the hallowed BBQ temples of Houston and Dallas, and Fargo's easily beats them hands down. Kreuz can go head to head with any of them as well.

Snow's and Black's are fine, but are wildly inconsistent.

Franklin's? Yes, its good. Real good. Worth standing in line for 6 hours like slacker t-sips enjoy bloviating about? Probably not.
jja79
AG
quote:
I'm one of the well known "food snobs" around here, and the idea that there are only 6 decent restaurants in BCS is quite simply patently absurd and empirically incorrect, regardless of one's personal tastes.

As far as BBQ goes, I have eaten at the hallowed BBQ temples of Houston and Dallas, and Fargo's easily beats them hands down. Kreuz can go head to head with any of them as well.

Snow's and Black's are fine, but are wildly inconsistent.

Franklin's? Yes, its good. Real good. Worth standing in line for 6 hours like slacker t-sips enjoy bloviating about? Probably not.
As a Houston resident I can tell you Houston has no hallowed BBQ places so I stopped reading right there.
FlyRod
Goode & Co. used to be quite nice actually...

And I've always liked Hinze's quit a bit too.
dgonzo99
Goode & Co.
halibut sinclair
quote:
As a Houston resident I can tell you Houston has no hallowed BBQ places so I stopped reading right there.
http://thebriskethouse.com/index.html

Owned by a former pitmaster at Tom's BBQ. They even have the Aggie Special.
ksp
quote:
Goode & Co.
Goode seafood co! mexican shrimp cocktail!
techno-ag
AG
Take it to the Houston board.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Take it to the Houston board.
Perfectly valid. It all ties back to B/CS.
jja79
AG
I spend a lot of my weekends in BCS so I feel like a quasi-resident.

Goode Company - mediocre and inconsistent. Pecan pie is good.

Brisket House - I know Paul and have eaten there probably a dozen times. If you really need some BBQ go. Comparable with Dickeys.

Hinze - Sealy is the closest one.

Honestly BCS has much better BBQ options than Houston other than Corkscrew in the Woodlands. It's fantastic.
halibut sinclair
quote:

Brisket House - I know Paul and have eaten there probably a dozen times. If you really need some BBQ go. Comparable with Dickeys.

Wot?
FlyRod
Pro Dickey's = instant loss of BBQ credibility.
ksp
quote:
this x1000. Dickeys = roast beef in BBQ sauce. Not even close
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

Dickeys is what you eat if you are in Indiana and in desperate need of TX style BBQ. And then you should only order a chopped beef sammy and a tea.
jja79
AG
I didn't say I like Dickeys. I said Brisket House is ok if you're BBQ deficit. It's on par with Dickeys.

Read more slowly fellas. Especially you flyrod.
ksp
Rudy's > dickeys every single time.
halibut sinclair
quote:
I said Brisket House is ok if you're BBQ deficit. It's on par with Dickeys.
I've eaten at both, and Brisket House is darn good. Dickey's is not. Just my opinion, like the above statement is simply yours.
jja79
AG
The dozen or so times I ate there I would consider it average at best. It was 2 blocks from my office for a year and I went about once a month. I do know this much about it. It's in a very densely populated residential and high end office area and you never have to wait.

Dickey's has hundreds of locations so someone must like it. I'm not one of those who does, but someone does.
ksp
The best thing at Dickey's BBQ is their baked potato.
tmaggies
AG
Trust me Hinze BBQ is not good
jja79
AG
quote:
Trust me Hinze BBQ is not good
Amen to that.
O.G.
Had Kreuz last night. Very good stuff.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Had Kreuz last night. Very good stuff.
Thanks for getting this thread back on topic.
FlyRod
betas2000
AG
Pit masters Lee and Marco are great guys with great customer service skills!!!! We love Kreuz Market and hope people get over the "no fork no sauce"
BCStalk
It's like not having ketchup for my steak.
OnlyANobody
techno-ag
FlyRod
Ric Clark
quote:

C&J's is very consistently mediocre bbq while Fargo's and Kreuz are both consistently very good to great bbq.

I think you may have missed the mark with C&J's, especially their ribs and turkey, just saying...
Finding X
Ate there last night and was sooo underwhelmed.

And the potato's tasted like pickles.. That can't be normal! Beef needed more seasoning, Pork was ok, Chicken was ok but a little overcooked. Price seemed too high and my wife was ticked off that she could have a fork. She ended up eating with my pocket knife.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
We love Kreuz Market and hope people get over the "no fork no sauce"
There's an easy solution to this, and it doesn't involve making the customers bring their own forks into their establishment......

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.