Kreuz Market opens Monday February 2

46,142 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by originaltexan
dgonzo99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess the least Kreuz can do is post instructions on how to open a packet of sugar and stir it in the tea.
WTM
I just have to mention this based on the "tradition" of sweet tea. When I graduated high school in the early 90's, there was no such thing as sweet tea in a restaurant in this part of Texas. Unheard of. I went to college in Virginia and remember being shocked when tea had sugar in it already. In fact, in most of the South East you could not get unsweetened tea at that time. So sweet tea may be a tradition now, but it came here sometime in the early 2000's.
FlyRod
About the same time the uptick in "diabeetus" began.
95_Aggie
AG
As a native Texan, the first time I ever had sweet tea offered to me in a restaurant was in 1999 on a trip to Atlanta. I thought it was strange back then ... definitely a deep south thing.

It hasn't been a staple in Texas for very long.
ksp
quote:
About the same time the uptick in "diabeetus" began.
Sweet tea on average is twice the sugar of coke. so yup you are right!
dgonzo99

AggieJason
AG
I went on Tuesday and was thoroughly unimpressed. (I've been to the original location before and loved it, BTW.)

It took me 10 minutes to get through the line that was less than 5 people long. The process seemed disorganized.

I got 1/4lb. of brisket and the jalpeno cheese sausage.

The brisket was either too dry or too fatty depending on which slice I was eating. I attribute this to an unsure butcher as someone previously suggested. It was entirely unremarkable. It would have been 10x better with sauce.

Don't get me started on the jalapeno cheese sausage. It was the worst sausage I've ever had. I'm not a connoisseur or anything. Part of me doesn't like that "crumbly" texture, but more than that, I wasn't a fan of the ounces and ounces of grease that poured out (and subsequently required me to be near a toilet for the entire evening).

Their cole slaw was pretty outstanding by my standards. It was odd having to eat it with a spoon, but wasn't a deal-breaker.

What kind of Texas BBQ joint doesn't have sweet tea made up on-site? That's weird, but also not a deal breaker.

Overall, the place reeks of being a new establishment that needs a few weeks to settle into a routine and a few months of getting everything broken in. Until then, I will happily spend half as much elsewhere.
aggiecjtj
Can we get a Cooper's here!?!
Picadillo
Tried earlier this week. The "no fork / no sauce" thing is just stupid and makes no sense. Won't be back for that reason alone.

That said, the pork ribs, jalapeno sausage were good. Brisket good. Good, but not great. With new owners & new vision, they could do really well, but I don't see it happening.
Brewmaster
AG
Fargo's
wtr1975
AG

BREwmaster said it right!
malibu9in1
Blacks in Lockhart. The best.
eye3guy
AG
Great brisket. Excellent chicken. Super sausage. Friendly folks on the serving line ... We'll be back!
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Great brisket. Excellent chicken. Super sausage. Friendly folks on the serving line ... We'll be back!

Sentiments like that are why this place will be successful.
dgonzo99
I was there today. They HAVE sweet tea for those that like that.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I was there today. They HAVE sweet tea for those that like that.

Well then, its success in BCS is guaranteed.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
I think the no forks came about before they served sides. Not too long ago, the only "sides" available were cheese and pickles. Eating meat without a fork is how it started. In fact, if memory serves, the original location had knives chained to the table. Assuming to appease the consumer, they now serve beans, coleslaw, mac and cheese, green beans, etc, and are trying to keep some of the tradition alive. Use your hand, use a spoon. Or, as a friend of mine did, bring your own fork. (disposable). Or go elsewhere if forks are required by you to enjoy your meal. Irreconcilable differences have ruined more relationships than you and a meat market.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
I'll stick to Martin's!!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Or, as a friend of mine did, bring your own fork.
Do you realize how absurd it sounds to have to bring your own fork to a restaurant?
AG
quote:
quote:
Or, as a friend of mine did, bring your own fork.
Do you realize how absurd it sounds to have to bring your own fork to a restaurant?

A business should not have to change for people who want to give them money.
Joe Nobody
"A business should not have to change for people who want to give them money."

I read this sentence at least 10 times. Still not sure what it means.
Mr. Griswold
I think he meant, "A business should not have to change how it operates when people are still giving them money."
Joe Nobody
Me. Griswold - I think you missed my point. I was just analyzing what he actually wrote.

In any case it is idiotic to expect people to eat food with a spoon.
dgonzo99
quote:
Me. Griswold - I think you missed my point. I was just analyzing what he actually wrote.

In any case it is idiotic to expect people to eat food with a spoon.
I hate to tell you but most of the world has been eating with a spoon for thousands of years.
FlyRod
This seems like a great situation for the spork to make a comeback.

Kreuz's could still claim to be upholding tradition, since technically they wouldn't have forks.
dgonzo99
I would like all those that claim they don't eat with a spoon, to show us how they eat soup and ice cream with a fork. I had no idea that not having forks would cause WWIII.
halibut sinclair
We had a $5 "service charge" tacked on to a $35 tab when we ate there earlier this week. Another reason to not return.
Joe Nobody
The last few times I have been to Lockhart their meats have been average at best.
ksp
quote:
We had a $5 "service charge" tacked on to a $35 tab when we ate there earlier this week. Another reason to not return.
For what?
halibut sinclair
quote:
quote:
For what?
Beats me. Just noticed it today. I guess because I used a debit card?
95_Aggie
AG
So you just paid it without questioning it?
halibut sinclair
Like I said, I just noticed it on the receipt today. We were there earlier in the week.
dgonzo99
I have heard of a number of places that charge for using a debit card. Must be the swipe fee for it is high. Some places post it at the register that there is service charge for debit cards. Others don't. Maybe ask from now on. Probably should be required to have that posted. Or at least tell customers of the charge. That would be the right thing to do.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
I have heard of a number of places that charge for using a debit card. Must be the swipe fee for it is high. Some places post it at the register that there is service charge for debit cards. Others don't. Maybe ask from now on. Probably should be required to have that posted. Or at least tell customers of the charge. That would be the right thing to do.
The right thing to do is not charge a fee since charging extra to use a debit card is illegal in Texas...
dgonzo99
quote:
quote:
The right thing to do is not charge a fee since charging extra to use a debit card is illegal in Texas...
Every law has a loophole. That's how banks get away with sending out 1099s for income tax as late March without ever getting into trouble for it. That is what a financial guy told me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.