Kreuz Market opens Monday February 2

46,647 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by originaltexan
ksp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not a fan of their sausage either. Ate at the one in lockhart.

Agree, hope they bought a seasoned pit already.
rsa
AG
Had the half chicken and really enjoyed it--juicy, fall off the bone deliciousness. The fork thing, though, is annoying. Next time I'll remember BYOF.
HUEY04
AG
For me their jalapeo cheese sausage is one of my favorites anywhere, great seasoning and texture.
Those new pits have been running pretty much non stop for over two months now.
halibut sinclair
We have been looking forward to Kreuz opening for months. Fargo's has nothing to worry about.
DBSwooper
quote:
Fargo's has nothing to worry about.

Because Fargo can keep up with demand by continuing to cook with gas...
FlyRod
Halibut are you saying there's trouble on the bypass???
aggiepaintrain
AG
Had it today.
Chicken, hands down best in town.
Regular sausage is greasy (they call it wet) and it is delicious.

AggiePhil
AG
Short review... It's really good. Regular sausage is a tasty coarse grind/loose sausage similar to Southside Market in Elgin. Finally, a coarse ground sausage in BCS. Jap cheese sausage has a finer texture and isn't the jap cheese sausage we're used to here but it's delicious too. Brisket is also good but I prefer the sausage. They were out of chicken and turkey but the ham was tasty. Of the sides, the sauerkraut was my favorite by far. I will be back.

Oh, and they need forks. I find it silly that they see not offering forks as an important part of their business model.
MadDog73
AG
We went Monday evening after 7PM. Never been to the one in Lockhart so didn't have any expectations.

The brisket was ok, but sausage was mushy, greasy and tasted off. Potatoes were good but other veggies were nothing special.

No forks is just plain stupid. And the soda dispenser had craft soda's out of Austin. I was ok drinking ice tea but everyone else in my party wanted a Dr. Pepper. And they weighed and charged me for jalapenos and sweet pickles. Who does that?

My biggest issue was that the managers seem disinterested. They were sitting in the office and at the bar. No interaction with customers. No "welcome to Kreuz" or "thank you for coming".

Won't be going back. There are better alternatives for my $$.
eloc62
went by Kreuz to pickup some sausage today. it was great, as expected! every other BBQ place's sausage here in town tastes exactly the same. Kreuz is different because they use their own recipe to make their sausage. i doubt C&J's, Fargos and Rudys make their own sausage. best sausage in town hands down!
malibu9in1
Friends wanted to go last night. They weren't crazy about it either. No sweet tea. My clothes reeked of smoke. They bragged about running out of everything. I'm glad they built in Bryan. Just not my taste. Hope they do well.
dgonzo99
Tried the sausage. Best in town bar none. Again, all the staff went out of their way to accommodate my every need. This will become part of my rotation of places to eat. Great food. Great staff.
originaltexan
Also a general food note:

Restaurant managers and owners, if something comes in a 5 gallon bucket, don't let the consumer see it!
Expert Analysis
AG
No sweet tea, no sauce, no forks....wtf
Why would anyone not want to please customers?
dgonzo99
quote:
They didn't have any sugar to put in the tea? They did the times I was there.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

It's their 3rd ever location, and they have a huge history in Lockhart. They didn't build their 3rd location to not mirror their tradition and history back in Lockhart. They weren't coming here to be C&J's. Sorry that upsets you.

I guess it's fine to get upset with the quirks that the restaurant has to offer, but this isn't a Pappas chain...I don't get why people are going to get upset with the way a restaurant serves BBQ at only their 3rd location after years and years of famous Texas BBQ history.
dgonzo99
WTM
Ate their Monday night. I eat a lot of BBQ and have eaten at just about all of "the" places in Texas. I am also a pretty fair cook on my own. My take:

Brisket: Average / Very Good. Ordered some from both the point and the flat. The lean flat was average. The moist point was very good and did not disappoint at all.

Regular Sausage: Poor. The regular sausage I did not care for at all. I had forgotten how they do their links. My favorite is a dry crumbly type texture like Lulling City Market or a more dense bite. The regular sausage was "soggy" and had no snap or firmness to it. I did not finish it.

Jalapeno Sausage: Excellent. Great texture, firm, good snap and very spicy. Much hotter than the normal jalapeno and cheese. Most of the cheese had cooked out (good for me as I am not a fan) leaving a great jalapeno sausage.

Sides: Varied. I thought the beans were very good. Wife said the sauerkraut was excellent. Kids said the potatoes were excellent.

Overall / Atmosphere: It was very smoky and all clothes / jackets had to be washed. I get it that old school joints like Muellers in Taylor, Lulling City Market, the original Kreuz, etc. are old and smoky as a function of how they were built, but I think a modern building can offer a good product without overwhelming the customers. I don't want to go back to the office reaking of smoke. It was so thick, the plastic cups were brown tinted and it wiped off on your fingers when you picked up the cup.

As for forks, that is their tradition, and it is fine for meat and bread, but as someone else said, forks would be nice for sides. Basically everyone is using a knife and spoon anyway so it seems silly to forgo the fork.

No sauce is a tradition as well. The brisket does not need it if it is moist, but I can see where people would like it. If you really want sauce, you can get the food to go or I am sure bring in some of your own.

Service: The ladies behind the counter seemed friendly. Cutter was a little unsure of the brisket, but will learn. Lots of staff / managers around the bar area not working the restaurant or checking on people. I was there after 8:00pm and there were only 3 or 4 tables.

Overall pretty good and I would go back, but I don't think it is a revolutionary addition to the area.
AggiePhil
AG
Interesting info about the smoke. I was there at around 6:30 and did not notice any smoke. Maybe something unusual happened after I left causing it to smoke up.

I will add to my earlier review that there are obviously still some kinks to get worked out (they've only been open two days) but that doesn't bother me. Everyone was friendly and like I said, the food was really good. Hopefully they will at least consider adding forks at this location. Like the poster above said, I got mine to go, took it home, and ate it with forks and sauce from Southside Market (blasphemy, I know--lol).
FlyRod
I think I won a bet (lunch at Kreuz today) by predicting how fast this thread would turn into the usual restaurant-bashing monkey shines.
WTM
FlyRod I have only seen two negative posts / "won't be back" in the whole thread. I think on the whole most are positive.
FlyRod
Oh its not over yet...
Expert Analysis
AG
quote:
quote:

It's their 3rd ever location, and they have a huge history in Lockhart. They didn't build their 3rd location to not mirror their tradition and history back in Lockhart. They weren't coming here to be C&J's. Sorry that upsets you.

I guess it's fine to get upset with the quirks that the restaurant has to offer, but this isn't a Pappas chain...I don't get why people are going to get upset with the way a restaurant serves BBQ at only their 3rd location after years and years of famous Texas BBQ history.
I'm not upset, I really don't care. I asked a question, sorry i offended you.
My thought is if I was running it and I wanted to please as many customers as possible these are easy things to do. Is anyone going to complain about having forks... It's Texas, premixed sweet tea is a staple. I can understand the sauce, but are diehard BBQ fans not going to come because there is sauce being served, highly doubt it.
Makdaddy
Been looking at trying it out here to compare to the other previous times I've been to Kreuz. People who complain about no forks obviously don't know the tradition. Yes it's a hard concept, but it's "their" thing. Good discussions about the food, definitive gonna try the Jal. Sausage
BCStalk
Any suggestions on to go for one? I'm hungry.
dgonzo99
I don't understand the big deal about forks. I remember going to barbecue places when I was quite young. Nearly every single place served on butcher paper with no forks. Do you eat fried chicken with a fork? As far as the sweet tea, I highly like Coke Zero. But I'm not going to leave any restaurant for not having it. Just put the sugar in the tea yourself. Only takes a few seconds.
ksp
so long as they have water.
FlyRod
Took some visitors to TAMU there for lunch today. The brisket was the fatty kind, and much better than the first time I had it. The turkey was good, with a kind of sweet taste to it. Took the board's advice and got the jalapeno sausage and it was outstanding...the kind of hot link I really like. The chicken was good but really salty.

Of the sides we had, the spicy pinto beans were the best. The cole slaw and green beans were ok but that's it, and the mac and cheese could have been Kraft from a box. Did not get the potato salad but lots of customers were getting it. The place was packed.

Really good service. When they ran out of turkey, someone ran and immediately fetched a new one.
techno-ag
AG
Just got back. Tried the prime rib. It was excellent. Had beans for a side. Excellent. Got to sample the sauerkraut. Excellent. Tried a bite of the jalapeno sausage. Excellent.

Ate everything with a spoon. Only problem was with the prime rib. Awkward. In the future I'll sneak in some plastic forks, problem solved. Yeah, they're not changing that. It was on their cups & everything. I'd also like to try some Rudy's BBQ sauce on their meat sometime. Will have to bring a bottle home & get some food to go from Kreuz's.

All in all this is a most excellent addition to Restaurant Row North.
BCStalk
Just ate mine. Let's start by saying that I was approached by a worker who asked me what I liked then made his recommendation. I walked out with potatoes, Mac n cheese, jalapeno sausage, and brisket. Got home and sat down with a spoon bread and knife. I have one complaint and that is the bread was a little hard. Other then that, it was great. No problem with no sauce or fork.

Edit: I got to much food
Thisguy1
Went tonight and we all weren't too impressed with it. We got a couple pounds of brisket, couple links of regular and jalepeno cheese sausage, and various sides.

A guy helped us and said he recommends the j/c sausage and said its not hot at all and their pits really cook it well. He was right, except it was spicy (which I expected and didn't mind).

Any time I ever eat brisket, I use sauce. That may be why I wasn't impressed with the brisket by itself. It was greasy, and didn't have enough flavor to stand alone in my opinion.

I'm not sure how they give food to you if you order to-go, but they don't have to-go boxes. If you aren't used to ordering food by the pound, this causes a problem. They'll give you butcher paper, which works, it just not what most people here are used to.

The rest of my family said they probably won't be back, but I'd like to go back to try the chicken.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
"Nearly every single place served on butcher paper with no forks. Do you eat fried chicken with a fork? "
No, but I would prefer not to have to eat the mashed potatoes and green beans with a spoon.

I know this is Aggieland and all, but just because something is a "tradition" doesn't mean that you have to blindly follow it without question.

[edit] And Tom's did have forks in their establishment. You just had to ask for them if you ordered the Aggie Special.
FlyRod
"What do you mean you don't serve lettuce on your burgers? How dare you!"
ChampsAg
Tried it today. Got some to take home for dinner.

The order process seems disjointed. If you have not been there, it could be a little different.

The sign that says no sauce, no forks, see manager's face for seriousness is a little unnecessary.

Mac & cheese was ok. German potatoes were good until I got a piece of rib cartilage. Did not like the beans, nothing special at all.

Regular brisket ($17.90/lb) was way too greasy. Not a bad flavor overall, but too much fat. I was not interested in shoulder clod.

Jalapeno cheese sausage ($4.38/link or pound...not sure) was not bad. Liked the spice, would have liked more cheese. Link is more like a half link to me.

Chicken ($6.00/half) was the best that I have had in town.

Overall, I think it is a little pricey for the quality. Not sure if I will go back. I understand that Franklin's charges $18.00/lb but this is not that quality. Fargo's at $13.00/lb is much better to me.

Staff was pretty attentive for a slow time of day.

By the way, turn at IHOP or you will have to make the circle. Also, if you are ordering to-go, they want you to go in the side door that does not appear to be marked for that. Trying to reduce the line the cashier said.

No sweet tea. Come on now!
wtr1975
AG
I am a Fargo's man - but love BBQ and always ready to try out a new place. I went yesterday during the lunch hour. I can get past the sauce issue, as I am a purist that believes that BBQ is judged on its own without putting anything on it. However, I know that there are plenty of people who like it and should be able to enjoy the meal the way that they are accustomed. I can also live without sweetened tea as I am unsweet man myself, but those that like it should be able to enjoy the traditional Texas BBQ drink the way that they want it. However, one thing that I cannot abide by is that they did not have any ribs during the lunch hour. I put up my tray and told them I would try one more time - I then drove to Fargo's and enjoyed the best ribs around.

No ribs next time during the lunch or dinner hour and it will be the last time that I go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.