Kreuz Market opens Monday February 2

46,646 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by originaltexan
PBR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You don't need to get on the internet to pay your bill...carry cash
GSS
Please call the restaurant to determine the basis for the fee, if it truly was charged on purpose. Beats the rampant speculation, plus hope you get your $5 back.
Aggie
AG
Went last night.. Was really hoping for something better.

We got 2 drinks, 2 sides, 1 sausage link , half chicken and some brisket... $45.
That alone was enough to turn me off.

The brisket was weighed with fat still on.. So I'm paying for fat.
Sausage was not to my taste.
Everything else was on par with that of other local establishments.

I'm not a fan if CJ BBQ but at least they are smart enough to serve plates.
Can order a 1 meat/ 2 meat BBQ plate.
Kruez did not even serve a chopped beef sandwich much less plates.
What kind of lunch crowd can you expect when you don't even offer a BBQ sandwich?
FlyRod
quote:
The brisket was weighed with fat still on.. So I'm paying for fat.

If you're not eating the fat, you're doing it wrong.
EVA3
AG
quote:
What kind of lunch crowd can you expect when you don't even offer a BBQ sandwich?

Order meat. They will give you bread, pickle, and onion for free. Voila! Barbecue sandwich!*

*Some assembly required.
EVA3
AG
I have tried the new Kreuz and I like it. I do find the "no forks" thing highly annoying.

Good barbecue should not be ruined with sauce.
ksp
quote:
quote:

Order meat. They will give you bread, pickle, and onion for free. Voila! Barbecue sandwich!*

*Some assembly required.
Pretty sure they weigh pickle and onions and charge for them and maybe even the bread. I could be wrong but I believe that is how the one in Lockhart does it
toolshed
AG
Bread was free for us, plain pickles and onions were free as well, over by the drink counter.

It's their restaurant, their food, their way. I don't see the problem. What's the difference in wax paper on a tray vs wax paper in a basket, as other places serve food? It's BBQ, no plate required. All the sides eat fine with a spoon. The meat is easily eaten by hand. If you want to trim fat, there are knives. Again, it's BBQ, not a steak dinner.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Tony Romas was welcome, but pricey. Don't know if that's why they failed, but obviously did not have enough business. This area is a "casual dining" sort of place, which gets the price point as low as possible, and follows what's going on nationally.
They had crappy service along with a revolving door of poor managers, yar.
dgonzo99
quote:
quote:
Tony Romas was welcome, but pricey. Don't know if that's why they failed, but obviously did not have enough business. This area is a "casual dining" sort of place, which gets the price point as low as possible, and follows what's going on nationally.
They had crappy service along with a revolving door of poor managers, yar.
The whole chain is having problems. They are closing stores right and left. That's why they are gone just like some of the stores close to Home Depot that folded. I guess that I was very lucky. I always had excellent service and food.
OnlyANobody
I picked up Kruez today. (As carry-out, thus addressing any fork issues)

The service I received was very good. A man came up and welcomed me, asked if I'd been there before and explained everything to me. Even though I've read here and was pretty aware, I heard him out because he was doing what people would hope for if they felt uncertain.

After some grumbling about no sauce, the people here got curious enough to give it a try. It was a hit. The flavor is good. We'll definitely have it again. (Not too often though because the doc will be grumbling about those cholesterol numbers in no time.)
BCStalk
I really like the brisket and sausage. I do want to try the chicken next time.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I picked up Kruez today. (As carry-out, thus addressing any fork issues)

The service I received was very good. A man came up and welcomed me, asked if I'd been there before and explained everything to me. Even though I've read here and was pretty aware, I heard him out because he was doing what people would hope for if they felt uncertain.

After some grumbling about no sauce, the people here got curious enough to give it a try. It was a hit. The flavor is good. We'll definitely have it again. (Not too often though because the doc will be grumbling about those cholesterol numbers in no time.)

Yup. I think we've established it's pretty much an awesome restaurant.
FlyRod
quote:

Yup. Glad we settled that. Anyone who had a bad experience there is hereby now forbidden from expressing an opinion about it.

Despite the fact that this is a...discussion board.
techno-ag
AG
Oh, they can express opinions all they want. But, the place remains good regardless.
halibut sinclair
quote:

I don't think we've established that at all.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think we've established that at all.
OnlyANobody
Let me clarify. I by no means can speak for the community. It worked for us. The flavors are good. (to us) But, it will be a treat, not a regular destination because, well, health matters....
FlyRod
halibut sinclair
quote:

Right back at'cha, you insufferable individual.
ksp
Suck
mazag08
AG
I got the brisket. It was cooked to perfection.. but didn't come close to the flavor at Fargos. I'm pretty sure Lews food truck is better as well.
hihozippo
AG
+1 Lew's
FlyRod
Been to Lew's twice. Each time the food was undercooked, which I didn't think was possible. Haven't had that issue at Fargo's or Kreuz's.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Not impressed. No flavor very bland.
ooshwa
Staff
AG
This other Kruez BBQ thread has been locked (duplicate topic), so I'm adding a link here for reference.
techno-ag
FlyRod
Mathguy64
AG
I had a beef rib last night. It was tasty. Also nice to get one in town as they are the only ones doing beef ribs. They also had shoulder clod for those wanting to stretch beyond just brisket.
Yuccadoo
Had it for the first time yesterday and was impressed with sausage and ribs. The brisket was also pretty darn good. I'm a big Snows fan because the BBQ is ALL so good and I like their sauce, too. It all comes down to individual taste. There was a time when I liked C&J but I just don't care for it anymore. I have slowly lost my taste for sweeter sauces and have move more towards the vinegar side.
RafterAg223
AG
After having been a couple times, it's a good, but not great experience. If I want truly elite bbq, I will continue to drive an hour to Snow's or Louie Mueller's every now and then to satisfy that craving.
KidDoc
AG
Enjoyed it on my first outting on a Friday night. Had brisket and jappy sausage and both were very good with a side of pinto beans. No complaints and I'm just happy there is real classic Texas BBQ in BCS again.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thisguy1
I went back today and tried the chicken. Some of the best chicken I've ever had, and at $6 for a half bird, it's cheap. Dad and I each got a half bird, a side, and a soda for me, bottle water for him and it was $19. You'll pay around $14 for a half bird, two sides and a drink at C&Js for dry chicken.
AC Hopper
S
'Kreuz' ... how do you properly pronounce that?
HUEY04
AG
It is pronounced krites

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.