Cafe Eccell vs. College Station

133,034 Views | 969 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by W
Nom de Plume
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is a hack job to insinuate he's affiliated to the ACTUAL Dallis businessmen in the area. What business is Christos in, other than dealing? Right.
halibut sinclair
Where is that insinuated? Do you know that he is or is not a businessman? And his name is Dallis. Should KBTX change his name?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Hack job by KBTX to associate the two just for more website hits. This seems to be the norm for them of late.

Bingo.

What lousy journalism to link the two.

Things have gone down hill at KBTX since Mike Wright left. He was always so professional.
halibut sinclair
What's your journalism experience, techno?

[This message has been edited by halibut sinclair (edited 3/29/2014 6:07p).]
Wildmen03
AG

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 3/29/2014 6:26p).]
wellboriginal
It is interesting to me that this estranged brother has an apartment in the 100 block of Church Street.

La Bodega is also in the 100 block of Church Street.

Eccell Group lists their address as 104B Church Avenue (according to the Eccell Group website).

When dining on the patio at Bodega, I have seen people walk from one of those apartments next door into the back door by the kitchen of Bodega. A server once told me that the owners kept an office in one of those apartments.

Might want to get those locks changed on that apartment so estranged family isn't having access to your corporate offices.
FlyRod
Having just read the (very brief) KBTX article, there is no mention of him being connected to Cafe Eccell, its previous owners, or any of their other businesses.

There is no basis in that very short piece to suggest it is a "hack job" on the Dallis family at large, or their businesses. Nor is it "lousy journalism," unless that refers to the very short nature of the article. Anyone reading that piece and coming to those conclusions should probably take a rudimentary course in reading comprehension.

T&P to the man. I hope he gets some help.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 3/29/2014 7:22p).]
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
So what business is this guy associated with in town? Because the title of the article clearly states he's a local businessman with the last name Dallis.
GTXM
quote:

When dining on the patio at Bodega, I have seen people walk from one of those apartments next door into the back door by the kitchen of Bodega. A server once told me that the owners kept an office in one of those apartments.

Might want to get those locks changed on that apartment so estranged family isn't having access to your corporate offices.

This.

I have also seen La Bodega staff travel to and from that apartment building many times.

Perhaps the brother is just now very freshly "estranged" ...

Sometimes this community to way too quick to label (especially successful) business owners, entrepreneurs, and "job creators" as bastions of all that is admirable and forthright.

They are just people, folks. Regular people who are capable of making really bad decisions.

FlyRod
quote:
So what business is this guy associated with in town? Because the title of the article clearly states he's a local businessman with the last name Dallis.

So KBTX should have reported the story as: Um, some guy (NAME DELETED) who (OCCUPATION DELETED) was arrested for meth? Good gosh. The guy is a local businessman and his last name is Dallis. If readers want to read/assume more into that, that isn't KBTX's fault one bit.

halibut sinclair
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Agree to disagree. I don't believe it's too much to add a line mentioning that this gentleman, with a very similar first name and same last name, is not the business owner of local cafe Eccell which has recently been mentioned in this very newspaper quite a bit.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Agree to disagree. I don't believe it's too much to add a line mentioning that this gentleman, with a very similar first name and same last name, is not the business owner of local cafe Eccell which has recently been mentioned in this very newspaper quite a bit.
dfphotos
Normally drug arrests aren't plastered on twitter and Facebook with ginormous mug shots. Why would they mention he's not the cafe Eccel guy? They did exactly what they intended.
Mr. Griswold
According to his LinkedIn profile, he is currently the General Manager of Eccell Group/Daisy Dukes.
Scruffy
AG
I know he was GM of dukes, but as of almost a year ago he left there.
Since then the managers (mark until he left, and Dustin currently) have done a lot to make it a more respectable place and run a decent business.
FlyRod
quote:
I don't believe it's too much to add a line mentioning that this gentleman, with a very similar first name and same last name, is not the business owner of local cafe Eccell which has recently been mentioned in this very newspaper quite a bit.

With all due respect, the media is under no obligation to point things like this out, simply because some readers might assume it. If some kid is arrested for speeding with the last name "Palin," is it necessary to point out the person is not related/connected to Sarah Palin? No.

And in the abstract, what if he is related anyhow? How is it a hatchet job on Cafe Eccell owners to point out someone related to them, but NOT them (which of course the piece did not do) did something wrong?

Or have we arrived at a new media rule: if someone with the last last name of a local restaurant owner runs afoul of the law, that person's name shall not be mentioned in the story? So anyone named "Lee," should have a disclaimer that they are not related to Tai Lee of Veritas...or anyone named "Stover," should have a disclaimer that they are not related to Charles Stover, etc.

Sheesh.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 3/29/2014 8:26p).]
wellboriginal
quote:

KBTX is not a newspaper.

chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Okay, sorry. On this very same social media outlet. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. I'm a pretty reasonable guy posting under my real name. Just feel like there is a trend lately where KBTX has begun to grow increasingly more sensational in some of their reporting styles and lead ins for more clicks.
wellboriginal
Where is it sensational?

They posted the name and photo of a meth dealer. A guy dealing meth close to a University with a HUGE student population, a potential customer base within walking distance.

He was dealing meth out of an apartment down the street from two churches. One of those churches has a "school" for small kids.

He admitted to using and dealing meth from a location that is literally a stone's throw away from a restaurant that has been in the news a LOT recently.

According to Mr. Griswold's post, he shows on his very own LinkedIn profile that he works for the Eccell Group. If the reporter for KBTX was doing a little research and saw that bit of information on the LinkedIn site, it could lead them to put tie him to the business, given that his profile says he works there, his last name is the same as the owners, and his apartment is on top or beside the headquarters of Eccell Group and next to one of their current restaurants, across the street from their former flagship restaurant, and around the corner from the club he used to manage.

I realize you don't want to argue, and that is wise considering pretty much everything being said is fact and not opinion.

I'll say it again: don't deal meth and you won't have your name in the news for getting busted for meth.

I have zero problem with a drug dealer having his name in the news so he can get a hard dose of reality as to how serious a predicament he finds himself in.

[This message has been edited by wellboriginal (edited 3/29/2014 8:59p).]
wellboriginal
Also, the JusticeWeb site is a wealth of information.
Yuccadoo
For those that have lived here for 50+ years, we know the legacies of the Dallis family. I am told that people should be given another chance after they have served their time for their crimes. Fair enough. Just don't ask me for special considerations while casting blame all about you. If you think you are something special, you probably aren't.

MaroonBloodedAg2010
It's kind of a big deal when it's the DEA raiding the apartment, not local police.
wellboriginal
quote:
I am told that people should be given another chance after they have served their time for their crimes. Fair enough.

Yuccadoo,

What if you see a repeating pattern amongst a few members of one family who evidently don't believe that all laws apply to them? At what point do you stop giving more chances?
wellboriginal
A couple of other questions about this arrest:

Does anybody find it odd that he apparently just quickly admitted that the drugs were all his?

Was he cooking the meth in that apartment? If so, isn't that a pretty big hazard? I think they send HazMat crews in to some of those meth labs to rip out walls and floors and ceilings and stuff because they become toxic.

I really hope he wasn't actually cooking the meth in that apartment.
BlueMiles
AG
quote:
It's kind of a big deal when it's the DEA raiding the apartment, not local police.

The article says Bryan and College Station police. Where did you see the DEA was involved?
MaroonBloodedAg2010
I didn't read the article, a friend of mine in one of the local law enforcement agencies told me the DEA was involved. I'm assuming that makes it a federal case, which would mean Christo Dallis is not just a small time drug dealer, but a high level dealer or manufacturer. The feds probably wouldn't be involved for just a small time dealer.
newsjunkie
The DEA was involved? Man,he seriously better call Saul!
Nom de Plume
AG
Costa, what business is businessman Christos involved with?
RockyMountainAg
AG
It's time to throw out the trash in B-CS.
techno-ag
AG
Eh. He's already been released on $9,000 bail. He's obviously not considered a big threat with that low bail amount.

They found more marijuana than meth. His apartment being in a school zone will be his biggest legal worry.

Get him enrolled in NA, get over that meth addiction, and he'll be all right.
halibut sinclair
^ Ridiculous post.
Costa and Andreas
Nom,

He's not involved with any business. He hasn't worked with us for well over a year. He's unemployed as far as I know.
wellboriginal
techno,

halibut is correct.

The accused in this case has four prior cases on file involving drugs or alcohol on the Justice Web. This is not some "Eh. Dunno. No big deal. Let him attend some NA meetings and call it good. Farmers Fight Let's Call It A Night" situation.

Will a jury of his peers think "No big deal, isolated incident"? Or will they be persuaded by prosecution to think "This guy just doesn't get it. He has had multiple chances over the years and obviously doesn't feel the laws of this land apply to him"?

Do a little look at Justice Web before you post. This is a pattern of poor decision making that has not improved with age and maturity.
wellboriginal
Costa,

Did you ever notice random people stopping by to make really brief visits to your estranged brother in the apartment he occupied next to the apartment that is the headquarters for your business, next door to one of your restaurants and across the street from your former restaurant?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.