Outdoors
Sponsored by

Worlds Best Jerk Chicken

65,507 Views | 212 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Ornlu
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
8 habaneros (seeded or not, your call)
2 sprigs thyme
2 Tbsp chopped fresh ginger root
1 tsp whole allspice
4 Tbsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic
1 med onion (chopped)
2 green onions (chopped)

Combine all of the above in blender and blend on hi for 3 minutes or until liquified. Pour over 2-4 lbs chicken (I prefer wings) and marinate overnight in fridge.

Grill the chicken over hot lump charcoal.

I have never had anybody fail to love this stuff. I made 9 lbs for a party I threw last night and they got devoured.

If I'm cooking for mixed company, I usually seed all the habs for a nice warm finish. If I'm cooking for pepperheads, I'll leave the seeds in up to 4 of the habs for a good sinus clearing.
FJB
AG
I've never tried jerk chicken without scotch bonnet. Need to give this a try.
Sooner Born
Habanero = Scotch Bonnet
FJB
AG
They're closely related, but different.

Habaneros and their kin are varieties of Capsicum chinense, which is one of the five domesticated species of peppers. As is true with the rest of the peppers, the nomenclature of the chinense species is highly confusing. There are three major difficulties: a misnamed species, the misuse of the word "habanero," and a confusing number of common names.

The species was misnamed Capsicum chinense in 1776 by Nikolaus von Jacquin, a Dutch physician who collected plants in the Caribbean for Emperor Francis I from 1754 to 1759. Jacquin, who first described the species as "chinense" in his work, Hortus botanicus vindobonensis, wrote, mysteriously, "I have taken the plant's name from its homeland," which was dead wrong. We are now stuck with a totally inaccurate species name of a supposedly Chinese pepper that's not from China but from the Caribbean and South America.

The second nomenclature problem is with the word habanero (sometimes erroneously spelled habañero), when it is used in English to represent the entire chinense species. That appellation is a misnomer because there are dozens--if not hundreds--of pod types within the species, and the Spanish name habanero technically refers to a specific pod type from the Yucatán Peninsula. But because consumers in the United States were familiar with the Mexican peppers, habanero became the buzz word for the species--even to the point where writers were calling the Scotch bonnet a type of "habanero." Wrong. The Scotch bonnet and habanero are different pod types of the same species. Despite all this logic, we admit that the word habanero has come into common usage as the generic term for the species--and that is why we use it in that manner. The third nomenclature problem is a plethora of common names ranging from Scotch bonnet to bonney pepper to bonda man Jacques to Congo pepper.

But what about the Cuban connection? Isn't that the origin of habanero, meaning "from Havana"? Pepper experts have long debated the possible Cuban origin for the habaneros that are grown today in the Yucatán Peninsula of Mexico and Belize. Mexican horticulturists Cancino Laborde and P. Pozo Compodonico stated that the habanero is the only pepper in Yucatán without a Mayan name, which would indicate that it was imported. We have grown out seeds from Cuban immigrants which turned into the familiar orange habaneros, another indication of their Cuban origin.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/profile_hab.html
AggieChemist
AG
scotch bonnet, habanero, whatever. It's good sheit.

Kramer
AG
AC,

I'm trying this. If it sucks, I'm posting it.
deadhead aggie
AG
i have to bbq for 30+ adults for a YMCA gathering this weekend.....i'm gonna give this recipe a try.......if it all goes well, i shall claim the recipe as my own........
Proctor92
with 8 habaneros, what is the point of the single jalapeno?
AggieChemist
AG
flavor, baby.
Proctor92
then substitute a serrano for the jap, it has a better flavor and is similar.
ZoneClubber
AG

Thank you Cliff Clavin for the habanero discussion.
Fort Worth Realtor
AG
FJB
AG
Scotch's have that smoky flavor I tend to like more. I'm going to fire up the pit sometime this week and will give this a try...
AggieChemist
AG
Kramer:

Try it. If it wasn't that good, I wouldn't have posted it. I'm not afraid of you testing my recipe.

Unless, of course, you're a ****ty cook.
Kramer
AG
Marinating now. Cooking tonight.
AggieChemist
AG
Marinade smells good, don't it?
Kramer
AG
lots of onion. Not a big onion fan, but we'll see.
AggieChemist
AG
If you're not a big onion fan, it might not be for you. Me, I love onions.

Give it a try and see anyways.
AggieChemist
AG
ttt

Kramer, how'd you like it?
Kramer
AG
It was good. It's damn spicey, but good. I think I could probably go another 1/2 tablespoon of soy in there and maybe a little smaller onion than I had (I had one that was a little bigger than a baseball).
AggieChemist
AG
Glad you liked it.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Worlds Best Jerk Chicken

I can only imagine how much time it took you to compare your recipe with every other recipe in existence to secure this title.
AggieChemist
AG
You're right, Frisco. I have done little else with my life.
swampstander
AG
Here is mine

• 2 tablespoons Cayenne pepper
• 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
• 1 teaspoons Ground sage
• ¾ teaspoon Ground nutmeg
• 1 tablespoon Ground allspice
• 1 tablespoon Dried thyme
• ¾ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons Garlic powder or fresh
• 1 tablespoon Sugar
• ¼ cup Olive oil
• ¼ cup Soy sauce
• ¾ cup White Vinegar
• ½ Orange juice
• ½ cup Lime juice
• 4 habanero peppers -chopped
• 3 Green onions - chopped
• 1 Onion -- chopped
Blend and use as a marinate or baste. I like to use breast strips on skewers.

[This message has been edited by swampstander (edited 4/30/2006 10:56a).]
deadhead aggie
AG
thanks for the recipe.......chicken turned-out to be excellent.......i was afraid that it was going to be way too spicy, but it had the perfect flavor with a slight kick at the end.....

next time, i will definitely wear latex gloves while preparing the habaneros.......my hands were still tingling 24 hours afterwards.......

Fleen
deadhead, I hope you didn't have to pee in that time frame...
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Unbelievable. Awesome recipe.
OldArmyAggie94
AG
bump...I have made this four times in 3 weeks great stuff.
AggieChemist
AG
Glad you like it.
Leanderthal
My wife used habaneros that she picked from our garden, and onions from her grandfathers farm.

It was unreal. Thank you.
Kramer
AG
Well, I've talked with some friends and shared the recipe and they all remarked about how there was no fruit juice in it. They stated that when they were on the honeymoon/vacation in Jamaica the stuff they had definitly had a fruity flavor, but also the heat.

So I'm trying again. This time with a little less onion and adding in pineapple, orange, and lemon juice. Quantities to be determined. Input welcomed.
Salome
AG
Have tried this and love it. But, also agree with Kramer.... to be "authentic" could use orange/pineapple juice. Still, the marinade is greatness.... thanks for sharing
AggieChemist
AG
I think it might benefit from a little lemon or lime juice... might have to try it myself next time. I'm not a big pineapple fan, so I won't fall all over myself to put that in there...
Kramer
AG
I'm going to include a little lemon juice, but I'm going with 1 mango, 1 orange, and 1 can pineapple slices. That way the fruit gets included in the thick stuff that tends to cling to the chicken.

I'll let ya'll know when I do it (midweek).
chasep2820
AG
I raised chickens for livestock shows for 4-H and FFA. If you ever get a chance to get some left-over chickens that the kid didn't take to the show you should do it. These chickens are fed the best feed and and are kept extra clean. These birds have a layer of fat so thick that even the biggest dumba$$ couldnt burn the meat. These birds hold in so much moisture and are just the best thing to eat. We usually took the birds that we didnt show and we would finish them out with corn and oil on top of their feed for about a week before we took them to get processed. (I considered Tony Chacheries on top of the food...hhahaha)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.