Outdoors
Sponsored by

Worlds Best Jerk Chicken

65,516 Views | 212 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Ornlu
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You also used only 3/8 of the habaneros that the recipe calls for. Had you reduced everything else by 5/8 you might find it less ginger and onion-forward.

Also, this recipe needs skin and fire.
DiskoTroop
All true and taken into account. I still intend on trying the full house recipe. In retrospect doing what I did was rather pointless... but you know, sometimes when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail right? I had -most- of the ingredients... so I tried it.
LRHF
AG
Cooked 3.5 lbs of wings with the recipe this evening and turned out as advertised. Left the seeds in for the jalapeo and one habanero and the spice level was perfect (spicy but enjoyable). Now need to look into this OB classic pinto bean recipe!

normaleagle05
AG
Looks good and a timely bump! I've been feeling in an Egg rut lately and needed to cook something I haven't in a while. To one of Garland's 1,000 Mexican markets for produce this week! Plus salsa makings and chicarrones.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Going to have to try this.
Thunder18
AG
Made the marinade today (used a few serranos frpm my garden rather than jalapenos). Marinade smelled great, looking forward to the finished product tomorrow
Badace52
AG
Tried this marinade and grilled up 4 lbs of chicken earlier this week. Seeded and veined all the habaneros and threw the whole jalapeno in. Very minimal heat that way. It is a little more herbal than I was expecting, but with just a little salt and some rice plus a few grilled slices of pineapple, turned out to be one of the best jerk chicken recipes I've ever had. Different from most of the jerk chicken I've tasted, but full of flavor.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thunder18
AG
Delicious! Made some thighs as well as B-1's pinto bean recipe and they complimented eachother spectacularly
gigemJTH12
AG
never seen this. watchlisted to make them this weekend.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Going to give this a try as it looks delicious.
Mule_lx
AG
Do you cook these over direct or indirect? How hot and about how long? Do you cook the wings whole or parted?
OasisMan
AG
marinaded overnight
going on the grill this afternoon

wife, 2 kids, n me --> for the wife/son dropped it to 5 habs seeded and seeded the jalapeno

1st time making, so well play with the heat level going forward
Bregxit
AG
Just pulled off the grill...test taste is amazing! About to dig in...

Average Joe
AG
Well, every OB recipe to date has been a hit. I wanted to do wings for the game Thursday, so it looks like this is happening. I'll just make sure to only let a few people try them. If they are half as good as the OB beans then I'll be making them at least once a week.
Bregxit
AG
Verdict is in. I loved it. Wife is still loving it. Six year old loved it. This is going in the recipe file.

Very nice AC and thanks!
ThatOneGuy
AG
Made it last night after marinating 48 hours. Added a Tablespoon of salt and some oil to the marinade. The soy sauce has a decent amount of salt but nowhere close to what a brine would have so a bit of salt should help it out and make it more juicy. Will definitely be making it again. There was silence in the room other than lip smacking for 10 minutes when these came off the grill.
LRHF
AG
Marinating another batch tonight. Learned my lesson on the last batch and wearing latex gloves this time! Thanks AC- at least I didn't kill myself tonight, pain tomorrow night then into Sunday! Cooking for my neighbors as well, going light with seeds in the jalapeo and one habanero only. My sinuses are wide open and pretty sure I won't take a piss for a while!
BurrOak
AG
Just made the marinade and have some skin on chicken thighs soaking in the fridge. Only difference I made was I had to use dried thyme leaves. Went to 2 HEBs and both were out of fresh thyme. I only left the seeds in the jalapeo. Had a little taste of the marinade. Spicy for sure, but not terribly hot.

I'll grill em for the game tomorrow.

BTHO clemson!!
AggieMPH2005
I am making this tomorrow, looking forward to trying it after following this thread for years.
BusterAg
AG
I probably cook this around once a month. I bet I have cooked over 100 batches of this stuff since this thread was started.

My girls are in their teens now, and we stopped seeding the jalapeos.
In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense -George Orwell, 1984, Part 1, Chapter 7
big ben
AG
Took this to a BBQ last weekend, the host who is a damn good cook, took 1 bite and literally said "GD Ben.....bite bite bite....GD these are good"

He ate probably a pound of them, left seeds in 4 habs, made 3lbs and every bit was gone.
Ornlu
AG
Bump. Cooking this for dinner tonight.
Brazos1865
AG
I've made this numerous times using wings and thighs. My personal favorite is skin-on thighs with the bone removed.

Giving it a run tomorrow using pork tenderloin for a change. In the fridge marinating now.
76Ag
AG
Best jerk chicken was at Rum Point.
Well we might as well give up and run
If we let 'm take our God and guns.
raidernarizona
This thread takes me back to a different time and place! I still remember the 1st time I made this recipe 13 some odd years ago. Newly married in some little 400 sq ft back house in Tucson. Our best friends were an Aggie couple from Spring Branch. I still remember the wives struggling to eat this hot sh*t. Good times!
RCR06
AG
Searched for this thread and was surprised to see it had been bumped. Made these a year or so ago and they were ok, but I decided to give them another go based on other peoples reviews. Got a batch marinating right now for tomorrow.
Max Power
AG
Thumbs WAY up! Dealing with a cold midwestern day with snow on the ground, I wanted something with flavor and these delivered, luckily they had habaneros at the grocery store. Only change I made was to up the soy to a half cup to make sure everything would liquify in my blender. Seeded the habaneros but kept the seeds for the jalapeno, I would put the heat level between medium and mild. Next time I will probably leave the seeds in 2 habaneros. I don't think it needs anything for sweetness, I used a small yellow onion and that had enough sweetness that you don't need to add sugar or fruit juice. Might add some vinegar next time, only thing I think they needed was some acid. Will make again, no doubt. Will remember this recipe the next time I do grilled pork as well.
AggieChemist
AG
So this thread is what... something like 14 or 15 years old now? I have tweaked it a bit over the years. I no longer bother with the jalapeno and I usually leave the seeds in 3-4 of the habaneros. I also add a few Tblsp of oil to the mix because it always sticks to the grill so bad. I'm not sure the oil helps, but it hasn't hurt.

Still the best recipe I have in my quiver, and I still make it a couple times a year at a minimum.
RCR06
AG
Not sure what happened the first time I made these, but they were excellent this go around. I did a double recipe of marinade for 5 pounds of wings. I think this may have been where I was lacking last time. Grocery store was out of jalapenos (after the supebowl) so I used serranos. Seeds in the serrano and half the habaneros. Was on the spicy side, but that's how I like it.
zooguy96
It seems like the amount of marinade would not cover the amount of chicken. Am I wrong? No clue. I'd probably have fewer habaneros, and add some serranos and poblanos for extra diverse flavor. Worked well in the chili I made.
RCR06
AG
In the original recipe he said it was good for 2-4 pounds of wings. I'd say 2-3 pounds might be a better ratio to a recipe of marinade.
HillcountryAg97
AG
Thanks for bumping this. Going to try it this week
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SchnauzerMom
We've had chicken marinating in this since last night. Excited to try it with some friends tonight!!!
STX Ag
AG

I know AC said lump but I'm being lazy. And drinking.
STX Ag
AG
Dayum. Next time I will leave some seed in the habs but **** these are badass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.