Outdoors
Sponsored by

Worlds Best Jerk Chicken

65,953 Views | 212 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Ornlu
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Catfish- the ginger is important for the flavor. It's a key component and imparts a little bit of sweetness.

I do a similar recipe but I like to grill the peppers first.
AggieChemist
AG
Yes, this is normal. You don't need salt/pepper. Soy sauce is loaded with salt.
fta09
AG
Got some pork chops that have been marinating in this. The stuff is pretty thick, but smells good. Think if I make it again I might add 1/4 cup of oil.
RCR06
AG
I'm guessing this is ginger the spice and not ginger root. Is this correct?
AggieChemist
AG
Fresh ginger root.
AgsMnn
AG
Maybe that's why mine was missing something. These small town HEBs do not always have what you need. Had to use dry.

Will agree that next time I will add some olive oil.
farmersfight
AG
there are T & t.

T = Tablespoon?
t = teaspoon?
SoTXAg09
AG
quote:
there are T & t.

T = Tablespoon?
t = teaspoon?

Yes.
SoTXAg09
AG
quote:
Fresh ginger root.

So is it 2 T of chopped ginger root?
AggieChemist
AG
Yes
clobby
AG
My butt hurts today.
farmersfight
AG
aloe vera.

just saying.
agzonfine
AG
I followed this recipe exactly and let 2lb. of chicken marinate for about 6 hours. It was very spicy after being blended, but milded out after cooking on the grill. Even my wife liked it and she isn't very big on spicy things. I'd definitely use it again, thanks for the recipe!
fta09
AG
quote:
I followed this recipe exactly and let 2lb. of chicken marinate for about 6 hours. It was very spicy after being blended, but milded out after cooking on the grill.

This. After blending, it nearly made my eyes water. And I like really hot stuff. But after cooking, I barely got any heat. Even my wife thought it was a slight hint of heat and she usually wusses out on hot stuff. That said, we both grew up in SE NM, so we grew up around heat.

So, if you think it's overwhelming after blending, give it some time and it will mellow out. If you really like heat and know it takes more for you, feel free to step it up so you get that hint of heat after marinating.
AggieChemist
AG
You can take it from toasty to scalding... Just start leaving the seeds and membranes in 1,2,4 o the habaneros. I once left the seeds in all of them and shat flames for days. Good times.
fta09
AG
I left it all in. My family (inlaws have Midwestern genes) HATE it when I make salsa. The always bring over a jar of Pace.
Signel
AG
hey now.. Pace was one of the originals, and I still like it ok.
SoTXAg09
AG
Pace is okay. But I can make better salsa from scratch, and I'm full blooded guero. I wouldn't put Pace on anything past breakfast tacos if I had a choice.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Made this tonight. Made a mild version with fewer habaneros and more jalapenos, and an all in version with the appropriate ingredients and no wimpy deseeding. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow, thanks for the recipe!
Mule_lx
AG
Finally tried this tonight. Deseeded everything for the wife. Next time I'm leaving some seeds in. Great flavor.
Manchild50
AG
Definitely going to try this on wings soon!
BusterAg
AG
My recipe for Jerked chicken for the whole family:

1) seed and scrape out the inside of 8ish jalapenos with a spoon. If done right, you will remove almost all of the heat in the japs

2) blend with:

1/4 cup soy
3T white vinegar
1T olive oil
1T ginger
1T allspice
1t nutmeg
1t cinnamon
one bunch of green onions (use the whole bunch except for the roots, the green parts are key)
clove of garlic

Set aside a portion of the jerk for all the sissies and children

Then add 4 scotch bonnets or habeneros, and 3T of paprika

The paprika will change the color of the sauce enough that you will be able to tell the hot stuff from the mild stuff.

Now, put this stuff on some pork chops.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
tried your recipe out at the deer lease last Sat...excellent, great flavor and finish!!!!! Will make again and again...thanks for sgharing it!!!
bmc13
FIDO*98*
AG
Got invited to a Super Bowl party tomorrow and the host is having everyone bring a different kind of wings. Not often that I put my reputation in the hands of a stranger, but, here goes nothing. I tasted the marinade before I put it on the wings. Ho Lee *** that's hot. Tasted great though.

lb sand
AG
This recipe looks awesome.

1 question, would you use some more of this marinade (not the batch that was used to marinade the birds) to baste or mop the chickens as they are cooking on the grill?

Would this make the chicken too spicy?

AggieChemist
AG
I would not do that.

A) You don't need to...

B) It's really thick, gloopey stuff.
BCO07
AG
Added a 1tbs of cloves and 1/4 c of white vinegar to the ops recipe and I think it's just about right. The only thing I can't figure out is what gives it the brown color you see in Jamaica
BenderRodriguez
AG
Hopefully this year I'll get to make this with homegrown Habaneros.

Great recipe, thanks again for posting it.
Deerdude
The color might come from the variety of Habanero. My daughter, '12 Food Science, just graduated from CIA Greystone in Napa Valley and has been sending me pepper seeds. The chef choice there are primarily Chocolate Habaneros(brown/maroon), and Smoke Habaneros. Regular yellow/orange Habaneros are used also.

[This message has been edited by Deerdude (edited 5/26/2014 12:18p).]
letterman72
AG
Cooking this tomorrow. Only 4 seeded Habaneros and 1 seeded jalapeno is the only difference. I figured I can add more heat next time if not spicy enough.
AggieChemist
AG
Making a batch now.
35chililights
AG
Thanks AC!!

Fan-damn-tastic!!!!

lotsofhp
AG
When I was on a cruise I had some jerk fish tacos in Grand Cayman that were awesome. Could you use this same recipe on fish?
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
Thanks AC!!

Fan-damn-tastic!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.