Outdoors
Sponsored by

Prayers needed for our dog - heat stroke

19,668 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by jokershady
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Made it to Channel 13 news.

https://abc13.com/post/houston-three-dogs-dead-heatstroke-rover-pet-sitter-timbergrove/15018271/
Hwy30East
Channel 2 has it also.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/07/02/3-dogs-dead-4-others-hospitalized-while-under-pet-sitters-care-in-nw-houston/
Aries
How terrible. Praying for your adorable pup & your family.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I am so sorry for you, your family, and your dog being in this situation OP. How awful.
Prayers for your pup and fam. Really hoping he pulls through. Dogs are family!
Jabin
Any updates on your pup?
AJ02
AG
Friend of mine lives in Chicago and I told her what happened. She texted me this morning with an article from Chicago about it. So news is spreading far and wide.
MAS444
AG
Update on Archie:

He had an EKG yesterday afternoon due to the concern for heart damage. The EKG came back normal, which is obviously huge.

Overall, he's improving. Still in Critical Care on oxygen, feeding tube, monitor, etc...but we're fine with baby steps.

When we saw him for our PM visit yesterday, he really wagged his tail for the first time... which may not mean anything clinically, but meant the world to us. He's fighting and he's determined to come home.

I also wanted to add that one of the other affected dogs did go home from the vet earlier this week. She still has some rest and healing to do, but we're so happy for her and her owners.

water turkey
MAS444 said:

Update on Archie:

He had an EKG yesterday afternoon due to the concern for heart damage. The EKG didn't show any permanent damage to his heart, which is obviosuly huge.

Overall, he's improving. Still in Critical Care on oxygen, feeding tube, monitor, etc...but we're fine with baby steps.

When we saw him for our PM visit yesterday, he really wagged his tail for the first time... which may not mean anything clinically, but meant the world to us. He's fighting and he's determined to come home.

I also wanted to add that one of the other affected dogs did go home from the vet earlier this week. She still has some rest and healing to do, but we're so happy for her and her owners.

That is great news!
agcrock2005
AG
So how exactly do you treat this? IV's and rest? I don't know much about heat stroke.

And that's fantastic news!
MAS444
AG
Not an expert but at the level these dogs had it, it basically kills all body functions. Heavy meds, feeding tube, oxygen, IV, etc... And yeah, lot's of rest. They're doing a stomach scan tomorrow because there's a concern for pancreatitis. As stated above, Archie has had issues with his heart. Still concerns for liver and kidney damage. Potential neurological damage...
Gunny456
AG
Good news. Prayers still going up fro your friends here on TA. Keep the faith!
RGV AG
AG
Blessings to you and yours, especially Archie. I sure am pulling for you all!
fullback44
AG
MAS444 said:

Update on Archie:

He had an EKG yesterday afternoon due to the concern for heart damage. The EKG came back normal, which is obviously huge.

That's great news..
fightintxaggie10
AG
Makes me so angry reading this. Thats definitely negligence. Just knowing the dogs suffered hurts my heart man.
ForeverAg
AG
Op great to hear, everyone here is praying for a full recovery. I couldn't imagine what you are going through.

We are on a few acres and have a large covered patio with a fan. I put an additional fan out there for the dogs and bought an additional freezable water bowl for our pups. The next day I went to work and got anxious thinking about them after reading your story and have kept them in Dogtopia ever since while we were at work until we get past this excessive heat.

BlueMiles
AG
Prayers continue.
Romello
Sorry this happened to your pup but sounds like he is a fighter. Hope you get a chance to give him a hug soon.
atmtws
AG
Come on Archie, you got this!! I've been thinking about and praying for y'all all week.
Gilligan
AG
Pulling for Archie!

Pray for a full recovery and he gets to come home soon!

Hang in there.
RAB87
AG
Prayers for Archie. I love dogs.
fullback44
AG
Come on Archie …. We are pulling for you..
PatAg
AG

need to know if the lady who had the shed suffers any punishment
maroon barchetta
PatAg said:

She sure isn't going to be pet sitting on the future.
agdoc2001
AG
PatAg said:

She deserves to be locked in a shed with no AC.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
General Jack D. Ripper
There's more to this story than we are hearing. These dogs must have not had shade or water. Dogs don't just get heat stroke.

My lab and I were out with some other dogs years ago. It was hot and we were running the atv and all the other dogs were chasing us. I really didn't think about it at the time but when we got back he collapsed. I put ice bags on him and placed him in the shade. I felt like absolute crap. But he made a full recovery.

Come on Archie!
There was this one time at ban camp…
maroon barchetta
They were locked in a shed with no a/c or other ventilation.

It's a pretty simple root cause.
General Jack D. Ripper
maroon barchetta said:

Jesus. I didn't see that. I skipped to the last page to see if the dog had gotten better.

Death penalty.
There was this one time at ban camp…
agdad4x
I just picked up our two girls from the vet office in kingsville where they were boarded for a week while AGMOM and I were out of town - I canont imagine not being able to take them home after being away from them for that time-

prayers up for your pup !!

maroon barchetta
General Jack D. Ripper said:

maroon barchetta said:

Jesus. I didn't see that. I skipped to the last page to see if the dog had gotten better.

Death penalty.

There had been a/c. It failed. They didn't realize it until much later.
AJ02
AG
Even if there was a window unit or split unit in an outdoor building....NO WAY would I leave 10 dogs out there. In this heat? No way in hell.
fullback44
AG
AJ02 said:

Even if there was a window unit or split unit in an outdoor building....NO WAY would I leave 10 dogs out there. In this heat? No way in hell.

Plus you don't "lock dogs in a building only".. they need a doggy door to get outside to a shaded area .. they prob wouldn't have died, my mom has an outside dog, he doesn't have an AC unit but he gets out of the sun.. this dog handler was in it for the money and didn't do what she needed to do to take care of these dogs ..
jenn96
AG
I'm also wondering if she had them in the shed in crates? If so they may not have had water either, or not enough.
AJ02
AG
I thought I read something somewhere, and I don't remember what it was now, that gave me the impression that they were indeed in crates. Which means even more limited airflow and their own body heat and breath compounding the situation. And I doubt she had water in each crate as well. Just an awful situation all around. And an easily preventable situation.
jenn96
AG
From a practical standpoint if you're going to keep multiple dogs in an enclosed shed, crates make way more sense, otherwise you can end up with a dogfight. But without AC it must have been nightmarish.
Mollie03
AG
What type of consequences does she face for this negligence? Outside of legal and financial consequences, she's going to have to carry this guilt for the rest of her life.

As a dog lover/owner this story has shaken me. Makes me rethink all the places I have left my dogs and how much trust I put in those peoples.

Saying a prayer that the remaining dogs at the vet get to go home. Keep us posted!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.