Outdoors
Sponsored by

Prayers needed for our dog - heat stroke

13,604 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ForeverAg
Rattler12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Dammit said:

Rattler12 said:

I will probably be crucified by some on here but perhaps people that like to travel and "go places" should think twice before getting a live pet. We have four dogs, 3 BC's and an Aussie, and it's just MZ R and I. We don't take vacations or go anywhere that requires being gone overnight because we won't leave the dogs at a boarder. Our dogs are a big responsibility and to us taking a chance leaving them with strangers isn't worth it. We have these dogs 24/7/365 and being gone for 7 days is not worth something happening that will ruin the other 358. MZ R has taken trips with her "Hen Party" friends but I stay home to take care of our empty nest pups. Maybe weird to some of yall but I'd no more put my dogs in a kennel than I would put my kids, grandkids or great grandkids in one.

Fire away.........fire away and fall back.

Just curious… If you have kids, have you ever gotten a babysitter?
Yes..... with relatives and not with strangers ........ but not for a week long vacation in Tahiti
BrazosDog02
AG
Forget all this stuff. Focus Energy elsewhere.

How's the pup? Any improvements?
guadalupeag
BrazosDog02 said:

AJ02 said:

There is absolutely NO WAY 3 dogs pass away (with several more on the verge of death) from one night without AC. 0% chance. That boarder is an absolute liar and animal abuser. I only wish you were allowed to sue the crap out of them for everything they have.

Oh man, in 2024 you can bet your sweet ass there is going to be lawsuits. Errbody gonna get their lawsuit on. Attorneys are lathered up just waiting for the calls. That persons business is about to be over no matter what. Personally, I don't see a problem with an outbuilding and AC that failed. Her not checking in every hour at the most is the problem. I don't even know how you neglect an animal for two hours much less long enough for an outbuilding to get hot enough for long enough to heat stroke them. Jeebus.

I have a portable building that serves as an office. It's completely NOT insulated. Metal roof. It has a window unit and the building lives in 12 hours of sun in the summer months. When the AC is not on, that building takes at least half a day to get above 95 degrees. That person left the animals to their own devices for a LONG time.
You have to factor in the dogs as well. Once they start getting hot and panting the temperature/humidity in the building is going to rise rapidly. If they're unable to cool off through panting heat stroke could set in quickly. This could easily happen in a short window of time.
MAS444
AG
Quote:

Thanks, Brazos.

Some positive news today - though far from out of the woods. Most levels/numbers were improved, even some in normal ranges. Platelets were up some from zero. There are many issues still but the biggest one is his heart function and they are very concerned about permanent heart damage.

But we'll take the baby steps all day every day. He's a fighter and he's fighting.

In other positive news, we learned that one of the other dogs who survived and was in critical care may be going home today.

Here's Archie and his two favorite people last Thanksgiving.

bowhuntr
Good news!!!! Take it
AJ02
AG
If your pup is at Gulf Coast he's in excellent hands. We've taken our doodle there before and I can't say enough good things about them. Not just their level of expertise, but just the friendliness of the staff and how they run things.

Not cheap though. I hope Rover comes through quickly to help with the bills, so that it's one less thing you have to worry about.

We have a Bernese mountain dog puppy (8 months old) and had a Bernese in the past. Also have a Bernese mix and two goldendoodles. So we're well aware of the limitations of the breed. If we're available I'd be happy to watch your pup in a pinch if needed. I think it only helps if whoever your boarder is has a good understanding of the nuances of each breed. I don't know what I'd do if I lost any of mine while at a boarder's home.

Our girl can't be outside for more than about 10 minutes in this heat. Then she comes inside and sploots on the tile floor to cool off.
Rattler12
BrazosDog02 said:

Agreed . I apologize if I hurt folk's feelings with the outlook my Mizzuz and I take as regards our dogs. I should have started a different thread. My sincere apology to you MAS444 for posting it in your thread. Hope your pup pulls through.
MouthBQ98
AG
Sounds like a dog sitter tried a new setup and had not tested it for what happens with multiple dogs with a 101F body temp in a relatively small space with possibly inadequate insulation and inadequate air conditioning for the load. I have a bunch of collies and I can tell you for sure if I put them all in one room that their collective body temps will gradually start raising the room temp, and it would gradually outmatch the heat exchange capacity of a typical 5000 or 6000 btu window unit.

With no A/c, and without good insulation, an outbuilding could get quite hot inside fast and once hot, panting becomes inefficient.

That setup could work but it would need a reliable, maybe redundant temp alarm and an oversized A/c and adequate insulation.

My first dog passed from a heat stroke when I was a kid. My family had gone camping and left my dog with my aunt. He had been put on a chain run outside so he had access to water and shade but somehow a rake left propped against a wall fell and got tangled in the chain and he couldn't reach water or shade. It was a tough thing for everyone involved.

If your dog has made it through the first 1-2 days, that's a good sign to me. I myself have had a near heat stroke event where I got delirious and all but blacked out, and it took a while to recover from some of the effects.
water turkey
This was posted on Facebook. Surely, there aren't still dogs there, right?
Bayou City
That looks like Gore Creek.
Unemployed
AG
https://www.instagram.com/revivaldogtraining

In her stories, she said that she heard barking coming from the shed last night.
BrazosDog02
AG
Wow.

Uninsulated? No AC? There is clearly an AC line set on that building. If it's not working and there are dogs there, those are as good as dead. Our friend runs an animal rescue, and she has been cited a few times because she said "f--- it" and entered property and took animals that were in imminent danger. Looks like someone needs to find that kind of person if they law won't do their jobs.
MAS444
AG
There was at least one dog still in there as of yesterday.

And to be clear, there IS air conditioning to the building - a mini split unit. But it either was not working and/or was otherwise inadequate when our 7 dogs sustained severe heat stroke.
MAS444
AG
San Miguel River!
Daytona22
AG
Same was posted in the Oak Forest Homeowners page. Sounds like law enforcement is getting more involved now. Awful situation OP. Prayers for your pup. Really hope he can pull through it.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Thoughts and prayers that the pup makes a full recovery.
billyjack2009
Revival posted a new story that this will be on the 10p news tonight - 11 and 13.
BlueMiles
AG
Surely she has removed the rest of the dogs from the life-threatening situation.
Wrecking Crew 21
Wow
Aggie 63
Marsh
AG
More information

https://old.reddit.com/r/RoverPetSitting/comments/1dst2yq/houston_rover_sitter_with_almost_900_reviews/
Cromagnum
AG
Saw this on KHOU news broadcast tonight.
Independence H-D
Few thoughts...

Praying for your dog.
"Sometimes a dog is as good as any man" Widespread Panic, C. Brown

I question why people would get an animal that is not bred for the climate they live in. Doesn't make sense to me.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Cromagnum said:

Saw this on KHOU news broadcast tonight.
https://www.khou.com/article/life/animals/pet-owners-justice-dog-death-rover-sitter/285-7eb9199d-aa29-4861-a830-2a03afd0f07e
WaldoWings
Rattler12 said:

TikkaShooter said:

Since you asked for it…

Treating dogs like they are humans is strange to me. There must be a psychological disorder or some life trauma that hasn't been addressed. Severe loneliness or abandonment as a child. Lack of attention. Who knows. Talk to your therapist.

But it's strange.

Can you love a pet? Yep. Can you care for them? Yep. Can we miss em when they die? Oh heck yeah. And I think OP means well by sending to a border that got great reviews. I'd do the exact same.

Does life get put on hold 24/7/365 for an animal?

Nope.
Simple.....if you like to travel don't get a dog. We don't treat them like humans and strange that you would think that because they are not humans. We don't put our lives on hold 24/7/365 for the dogs. We just take responsibility for decisions we made instead of putting that responsibility on some one else. Perhaps we differ because of the way we were raised. I was raised on a dairy. Learned a lot about birth, life, death and the meaning of the word responsibility and what it entails in the process. Perhaps you were born a city boy and delivered newspapers. Don't know and don't really care. You be you and I'll be me.......capisce ?

Baseball Is Life
That is a beautiful dog. Prayers sent for your dog, your family and all the other people/animals involved as well.
BrazosDog02
AG
First, how is the pup?

I hate to broach the topic but my curiosity is too much. When they drop off dogs at these types of places, specifically this one, what does the intake forms and liability waivers look like? Does this sitter have enough insurance to cover this mess?
Baseball Is Life
BrazosDog02 said:

First, how is the pup?

I hate to broach the topic but my curiosity is too much. When they drop off dogs at these types of places, specifically this one, what does the intake forms and liability waivers look like? Does this sitter have enough insurance to cover this mess?

I have never used this service, but it sounds Uber like. You are trusting the app to vet everything, provide the insurance coverage and set the TOS.
Baseball Is Life
BrazosDog02 said:

First, how is the pup?

Here is an earlier post from the OP:

"Regarding vet bills…Rover does have 25k in coverage and we will probably need all of it. They even intimated that they would pay more. I'm sure they're very concerned about bad publicity and/or getting sued. They have been very good to deal with so far."
BrazosDog02
AG
Thanks. I missed that. Looks like a typical contractor set up. Any attorneys want to chime in? Seems The person watching the dogs should also be able to be held liable ???

BartInLA
I'm sending prayers. Hoping for 100% recovery. I hope your children are doing better emotionally with this. God bless all.
fullback44
AG
Man, I only let people I know watch the dogs, the neighbors daughter watches them at the house, no way I trust that rover app or the people on it. I'm very sorry about the dog and I hope he recovers.
agcrock2005
AG
While the other families haven't been as lucky, I sure hope this has a good ending for your family.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Thanks. I missed that. Looks like a typical contractor set up. Any attorneys want to chime in? Seems The person watching the dogs should also be able to be held liable ???

If they are watching other people's pets for a living in their home, they don't have any assets to collect on.
BlueMiles
AG
Continued prayers.
MAS444
AG
Thanks everyone for all of the positive thoughts and prayers. Please keep em up for Archie.

Short update...

We were afraid last night was the end (again) - elevated heartrate that they couldn't control and they were almost out of options. It was bad.

This morning, they called and said the final drug option (4th or 5th one they tried) worked to get his heartrate down and most of his other levels were within normal ranges. Still a long way to go - but very positive news in the grand scheme of things (especially in light of last night's visit/update). Sounds like IF he survives, there's a good chance of permanent heart damage (among other potential issues) - but we're very happy he's still with us and is making progress. He's a fighter. And we're determined to bring him home.

Again, this thread helps and I appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and prayers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.