Outdoors
Sponsored by

Prayers needed for our dog - heat stroke

19,660 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by jokershady
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vets say 100% heat strokes.

We've now learned that all 7 dogs were probably kept in a small portable building in the backyard. It looks like it did have a mini split ac but not sure if it went out or wasn't adequate or what. The building also appears to have solar panels on it and no idea if also hard wired. So maybe that was an issue too …?
AJ02
AG
Did any of their previous boarders/customers know that???? I would NEVER send my dog to a boarder in this area if I knew they were being kept in a portable building!

The whole point of sending them to a boarder like that is that they're in the house, as comfortable as they can be as if they were at home.

Did you do a meet and greet with them at her house? Did she make you aware that's where she'd keep them?
Cromagnum
AG
MAS444 said:

Vets say 100% heat strokes.

We've now learned that all 7 dogs were probably kept in a small portable building in the backyard. It looks like it did have a mini split ac but not sure if it went out or wasn't adequate or what. The building also appears to have solar panels on it and no idea if also hard wired. So maybe that was an issue too …?

No alarms for temperatures in place? I would be sending these clowns my full vet bill.
MAS444
AG
No of course know one knew that. The outbuilding is a relatively new thing it seems. We obviously should have inquired more and I will feel guilty for the rest of my life for not doing so.

But again, she had tons of great reviews and repeat customers. And several of the families had used her many times without issue.
MAS444
AG
Regarding vet bills…Rover does have 25k in coverage and we will probably need all of it. They even intimated that they would pay more. I'm sure they're very concerned about bad publicity and/or getting sued. They have been very good to deal with so far.
Moy
They know a civil lawsuit is imminent and criminal investigation is quite possible. That many animals dying at a boarding facility will attract attention, as it should.

Can you get photos of the portable building and A/C unit? A nameplate picture of the A/C is preferred. The A/C rule of thumb is 1 ton per 500 sq ft. Not sure if that applies to a portable building with solar panels on the roof, surrounded by hot turf grass radiating heat, along with 8 dogs barking for their life in the uninsulated (?) interior.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I recommend you do a TPIA request for all permit records at that address to see what, if anything was permitted.
BrazosDog02
AG
AJ02 said:

There is absolutely NO WAY 3 dogs pass away (with several more on the verge of death) from one night without AC. 0% chance. That boarder is an absolute liar and animal abuser. I only wish you were allowed to sue the crap out of them for everything they have.

Oh man, in 2024 you can bet your sweet ass there is going to be lawsuits. Errbody gonna get their lawsuit on. Attorneys are lathered up just waiting for the calls. That persons business is about to be over no matter what. Personally, I don't see a problem with an outbuilding and AC that failed. Her not checking in every hour at the most is the problem. I don't even know how you neglect an animal for two hours much less long enough for an outbuilding to get hot enough for long enough to heat stroke them. Jeebus.

I have a portable building that serves as an office. It's completely NOT insulated. Metal roof. It has a window unit and the building lives in 12 hours of sun in the summer months. When the AC is not on, that building takes at least half a day to get above 95 degrees. That person left the animals to their own devices for a LONG time.
Furlock Bones
AG
Cheap camera. Cheap WiFi thermometer and the boarder would be covered to the point of knowing the temp and condition from wherever they were.
88planoAg
AG
Don't beat yourself up, OP. You said some of these dogs were repeat customers. Obviously something changed but there is no way you could've known.
BrazosDog02
AG
MAS444 said:

No of course know one knew that. The outbuilding is a relatively new thing it seems. We obviously should have inquired more and I will feel guilty for the rest of my life for not doing so.

But again, she had tons of great reviews and repeat customers. And several of the families had used her many times without issue.

You didn't do anything wrong. There is no way to know an outbuilding is going to have a failed AC, and even if it did, regular checks from a boarder would have prevented this. This is NOT your fault and asking all of your questions would not have changed the outcome. You did all of the due diligence that is reasonable. Reviews were good and the boarder probably was an excellent person and business that made a single bad decision that he now affected people's lives, injured and killled dogs and likely ruined their business. It was negligence. No one did it on purpose and it's not your fault. You are a victim of the human variable. We cannot account for that all the time.

I'm hopeful and prayerful that your pup (and you/the family) and others will make a full recovery.
AJ02
AG
Apologies to the OP if it came off like I was blaming when asking if he/she knew about the shed. That wasn't my intent at all. Rather it was my curiosity in how far this boarder was potentially deceiving her clients. I.E. at a meet and greet, showing them the house and insisting they were staying there. And then once the dogs get they're actually sticking them in the building in the yard. Which would make everything even that much worse.
Gunny456
AG
I have a non insulated metal building that was on our ranch in Kimble county. At this time of year by noon you can't stand to walk in the damn thing it's so hot. Truly like an oven.
Gunny456
AG
Well our lab was fine one day and horrible the next. Two days later TAM vet school sent us to Dr. Jeremy Varga at Dripping Springs Diagnostic Vet.
billyjack2009
MAS, you and your family are in my thoughts. I cannot imagine the pain you're in right now.
Rattler12
I will probably be crucified by some on here but perhaps people that like to travel and "go places" should think twice before getting a live pet. We have four dogs, 3 BC's and an Aussie, and it's just MZ R and I. We don't take vacations or go anywhere that requires being gone overnight because we won't leave the dogs at a boarder. Our dogs are a big responsibility and to us taking a chance leaving them with strangers isn't worth it. We have these dogs 24/7/365 and being gone for 7 days is not worth something happening that will ruin the other 358. MZ R has taken trips with her "Hen Party" friends but I stay home to take care of our empty nest pups. Maybe weird to some of yall but I'd no more put my dogs in a kennel than I would put my kids, grandkids or great grandkids in one.

Fire away.........fire away and fall back.

TikkaShooter
Since you asked for it…

Treating dogs like they are humans is strange to me. There must be a psychological disorder or some life trauma that hasn't been addressed. Severe loneliness or abandonment as a child. Lack of attention. Who knows. Talk to your therapist.

But it's strange.

Can you love a pet? Yep. Can you care for them? Yep. Can we miss em when they die? Oh heck yeah. And I think OP means well by sending to a border that got great reviews. I'd do the exact same.

Does life get put on hold 24/7/365 for an animal?

Nope.
Rattler12
TikkaShooter said:

Since you asked for it…

Treating dogs like they are humans is strange to me. There must be a psychological disorder or some life trauma that hasn't been addressed. Severe loneliness or abandonment as a child. Lack of attention. Who knows. Talk to your therapist.

But it's strange.

Can you love a pet? Yep. Can you care for them? Yep. Can we miss em when they die? Oh heck yeah. And I think OP means well by sending to a border that got great reviews. I'd do the exact same.

Nope.
Simple.....if you like to travel don't get a dog. We don't treat them like humans and strange that you would think that because they are not humans. We don't put our lives on hold 24/7/365 for the dogs. We just take responsibility for decisions we made instead of putting that responsibility on some one else. Perhaps we differ because of the way we were raised. I was raised on a dairy. Learned a lot about birth, life, death and the meaning of the word responsibility and what it entails in the process. Perhaps you were born a city boy and delivered newspapers. Don't know and don't really care. You be you and I'll be me.......capisce ?
Doc Hayworth
concac
AG
OP is about to lose his dog. Maybe show some compassion instead of being critical. There's a time and place.
TikkaShooter
Quote:

We don't take vacations or go anywhere that requires being gone overnight

Quote:

We don't put our lives on hold 24/7/365 for the dogs.

Mk
Cromagnum
AG
Gunny456 said:

Well our lab was fine one day and horrible the next. Two days later TAM vet school sent us to Dr. Jeremy Varga at Dripping Springs Diagnostic Vet.

My point was if the boarders fed food that had organomercury compounds in it. It usually takes weeks to have an issue with platelet counts and such.
jpb1999
AG
We have a bernedoodle also. WHile she loves to be outside, she cannot take the heat with the thick double coat.

Sorry about this! Hope he pulls through!

Spane Bohem

MAS444
AG
Thanks again for all of the kind messages, thoughts and prayers. I promise you they all help. About to go see our boy and get an update...
BrazosDog02
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Since you asked for it…

But it's strange.

Nope.

Life doesn't get put on hold? What does that mean? You have an animal. Those are part of your life yes? I don't understand what you are saying.

I always hear this argument but I don't know what it means. What do you mean when you say people treat dogs like humans?
88planoAg
AG
To continue the derail -

I cannot imagine my life without my critters, dogs and cats. I don't take my responsibility as an owner of animals lightly but I will not forgo traveling either. In addition, I have elderly parents who live 4 hours away, and an adult child who now lives in Illinois.

I am traveling overnight, and I am not living in a house without furry creatures. We have a trusted facility for the dog and a pet sitter for the cats, or we have someone come and stay at the house for longer trips.
Rattler12
BrazosDog02 said:

TikkaShooter said:

Since you asked for it…

But it's strange.

Nope.

Life doesn't get put on hold? What does that mean? You have an animal. Those are part of your life yes? I don't understand what you are saying.

I always hear this argument but I don't know what it means. What do you mean when you say people treat dogs like humans?
Bingo.
JR Ewingford
TikkaShooter said:

Since you asked for it…

But it's strange.

Nope.
WTF kind of post is this. Most animals ARE better than humans these days. Sorry OP that is awful I'd lose my mind.
Ogre09
AG
Tikka was responding to Rattler who was saying no one should ever board their dogs and that you should keep your dogs with you at all times and never leave them with someone else.
Rattler12
Ogre09 said:

Tikka was responding to Rattler who was saying no one should ever board their dogs and that you should keep your dogs with you at all times and never leave them with someone else.
"I will probably be crucified by some on here but perhaps people that like to travel and "go places" should THINK TWICE about getting a live pet......."

I believe this is what I wrote. There's a difference.
AJ02
AG
I rarely travel. If I do, it's almost always somewhere that I can take my dogs.

However, what are my options if my aging father in Michigan is on his deathbed and I need to go see him? I can't fly with my dogs. So my options are....board the dogs or not see my father before he dies.

Likewise, my MIL is now frail and unsteady enough on her feet that I can no longer take our big dogs to her house for family holidays. Most hotels only allow dogs 20 lbs or less (even though they are typically some of the WORST). So again....options are boarding or not seeing my husband's family.

It's not always so cut and dry as you make it out to be.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Rattler12 said:

Ogre09 said:

"I will probably be crucified by some on here but perhaps people that like to travel and "go places" should THINK TWICE about getting a live pet......."

I believe this is what I wrote. There's a difference.
You have a strange view of things and an even more bizarre lack of discretion to not know that this thread is neither the time nor place to voice your stance. Hoping admin cleans up your derail.

Hoping for a good update for your pup, OP.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Usually this level of bs posting is reserved for August. Starting this early makes for a long summer.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Rattler12 said:

I will probably be crucified by some on here but perhaps people that like to travel and "go places" should think twice before getting a live pet. We have four dogs, 3 BC's and an Aussie, and it's just MZ R and I. We don't take vacations or go anywhere that requires being gone overnight because we won't leave the dogs at a boarder. Our dogs are a big responsibility and to us taking a chance leaving them with strangers isn't worth it. We have these dogs 24/7/365 and being gone for 7 days is not worth something happening that will ruin the other 358. MZ R has taken trips with her "Hen Party" friends but I stay home to take care of our empty nest pups. Maybe weird to some of yall but I'd no more put my dogs in a kennel than I would put my kids, grandkids or great grandkids in one.

Fire away.........fire away and fall back.

Just curious… If you have kids, have you ever gotten a babysitter?
JR Ewingford
Ogre09 said:

Gotcha Horrible situation all around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.