Outdoors
Sponsored by

Prayers needed for our dog - heat stroke

19,637 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by jokershady
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our 11 month old family dog is in very critical condition at Gulf Coast in Houston. Would sure appreciate any prayers, good vibes, etc

He was at a boarders house while we were out of town on a short vacation. Boarder claims the ac went out in her house after she went to sleep last night. Story doesn't add up to me but that's not what's important now. We're on our way back into town to go see him.

I would appreciate it very much. This is devastating to us - but will be even more so to our young kids who are away at camp and love him like crazy.
water turkey
Thinking about ya'll. Sorry you are going through this. Hope he pulls through.
Gunny456
AG
Prayers going up for your buddy right now.
AJ02
AG
How awful! Yet another reason I'm scared to leave my dogs with anyone else.

I agree...that makes no sense. No AC overnight inside your home shouldn't result in a dog having actual heat stoke. Was it a double coated dog? Or a brachycephalic breed?
MAS444
AG
No - he's a Bernedoodle. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that doesn't sound right.

Just got an update that he's at least responsive now, which is positive (an improvement anyway). Just landed in Houston and trying to get to him!
smstork1007
AG
If I had to guess, your boarder put the dog outside and left him there, just worried about getting the daily rate than actual care for your dog. If at all possible, find a friend or family to watch your pets, most everywhere else is just in it for the $.
MAS444
AG
I'm not sure about that because her own dogs were apparently affected too. Ours is the worst off though.
AJ02
AG
We have two goldendoodles, full Bernese mountain dog, and a Bernese/shepherd mix. We've been dealing with AC issues. Even if our AC goes out overnight, it's cool enough outside at night that the temp inside the house doesn't rise too much. Maybe 80 inside at most? No way an 11 month old bernedoodle would get heat stroke inside in 80 degree temps unless there's some underlying health issue. That's just not warm enough for long enough.
smstork1007
AG
MAS444 said:

I'm not sure about that because her own dogs were apparently affected too. Ours is the worst off though.
Then she put them all outside, idk. But it damn sure didn't happen with an AC going out inside a house overnight.
MAS444
AG
Yeah my guess is that the ac was out much sooner and she went and stayed elsewhere. Wouldn't the dogs be barking for a while? How do you sleep through that? How horrific for them!!!
smstork1007
AG
Well pedos and pet abusers are the two lowest forms of life in my book, so I'm just gonna say I hope and pray your dog makes a full recovery, and if you feel like I do, make sure to not be left alone with your boarder.
SlickHairandlotsofmoney
Sorry to hear and hope pup pulls through. Something seems off for sure with the boarder.

FWIW, I struggled to find a good boarder until I found Wagnworld on Montrose. My dog has done well there and is happy when dropped off and smells good when picked up.
MAS444
AG
Update. Just back from Gulf Coast and there's been some improvement but prognosis is still very guarded.

We got the boarder through Rover.com. She was the highest/most reviewed boarder in the Heights area, has a nice single family home in Timbergrove with a large turfed backyard, lots of "repeat customers" etc. Seemed like a great fit.

We've also learned that 3 dogs that were there are dead and 3 - 4 others still at hospital. It was our first time to use this person but we've talked to 2 of the other owners of deceased dogs and they've used her a lot in the past.

Really strange tragic situation.
Mas89
AG
I'll guess the heat stroke involved a lack of water available to the dogs as at least part of the problem.

I had a lab have a heat stoke in the early morning once while retrieving doves in a plowed field. Water was out but not at our hunting spot and he was real excited and not drinking. Luckily with the help of the local vet he recovered fully.
Hungry Ojos
My grandparents set their AC at 78 on purpose for GOD's sake! How could all of those dogs get heat stroke when it couldn't have gotten too much higher than 80 in there? And some died????
drred4
Like someone else said no water?
Bottlerocket
AG
This whole story makes my stomach flip. I can't believe multiple dogs died! This seems really strange. Hope your sweet pup pulls thru!
mt3950
AG
That turf was likely 20 degrees hotter than outside temp…
smstork1007
AG
Praying for your dog, and if u ever need someone to watch this or another dog, i'm in the Heights, DM me. My wife's yorkie might annoy the hell of it him, but he will be cared for and loved while under our roof.
MAS444
AG
We were encouraged by the small improvement but today's update was bad. He has no platelets. They told it's unlikely he'll survive. We went and saw him though and perked up and responded to us - which at least gives us some hope.

Please keep praying for us. This is so much harder because a boarders negligence (at best) caused this and because of our young kids who will be devastated.

We're still holding out hope though. Here's a picture of Archie from a few weeks ago.

AJ02
AG
This makes me so sad and incredibly angry. I'd be absolutely DEVASTATED if a boarder caused my dog's death thru negligence. Like, I'd want to firebomb their home angry.
FirefightAg
AG
Yeah that turf gets extra hot
AJ02
AG
There is absolutely NO WAY 3 dogs pass away (with several more on the verge of death) from one night without AC. 0% chance. That boarder is an absolute liar and animal abuser. I only wish you were allowed to sue the crap out of them for everything they have.
water turkey
Just so you know, we had a dog with a nose bleed and took her to the vet. Her platelets were basically zero. They told us she would not survive the night.

They gave us meds for the night and we took her home. She lived and slowly her platelets rose and she is fine for now.

I hope the same for your pup….
MAS444
AG
This is very good to hear - thank you very much for sharing. Although, that is just one of the many problems Archie is dealing with.

And thanks everyone else for your thoughts, prayers, comments and support. I've had some very difficult dog illnesses/deaths in the past - but this is by far the hardest.
Gunny456
AG
This. We had a 6 year old lab that had ate some toxic food. His platelets were almost 0. We paid for the transfusion and he got through it.
MAS444
AG
Thanks for that too. It helps.
Gunny456
AG
Thinking of you guys this morning at church. God loves dogs. Just his name spelled backwards. Hang in.
MAS444
AG
Thank you very much. It is very appreciated!!!
Gunny456
AG
Just to expound and give you some hope….. Our lab had Mercury and heavy metals poisoning from a very advertised dog food. We had to end up giving him 4 treatments of platelets over two years. 2 bags each time.
Did she feed all the dogs the same food I wonder?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Prayers.
KDubAg
AG
Are we sure it was heat related and not some poison ingested by the dogs. Im wondering if the boarders neighbor got annoyed with that many dogs barking outside or something.

Hope the doggie pulls through and gets better.
Rattler12
Too much coincidence involved......sounds like all of the dogs ingested the same substance for them all to be affected?
Mas89
AG
One of my labs mentioned above would turn over any sized water bowl/ container if given a chance. He was a hunting / kennel dog and would paw and splash the water onto himself when he got hot. Wound up having to chain a galvanized water bucket onto the kennel fence to supplement the bowl and 5 gallon bucket he would turn over occasionally.
Perhaps something like this could have happened at the boarding place with water bowls and a lack of supervision.
Hoping the pup makes a full recovery.
Cromagnum
AG
Gunny456 said:

Just to expound and give you some hope….. Our lab had Mercury and heavy metals poisoning from a very advertised dog food. We had to end up giving him 4 treatments of platelets over two years. 2 bags each time.
Did she feed all the dogs the same food I wonder?

Mercury poisoning doesn't show those types of symptoms that fast.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.