Outdoors
Sponsored by

Coyotes getting water...

9,918 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
Rattler12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apache said:

Quote:

Quote:

Apache said:
As the federally protected Caracara expand throughout the state, you sheep loving Bo Peeps will need to sell your flocks. Mexican Eagles are ravenous winged demons & eat everything under 100 pounds. Coyotes will be the least of your problems.
You don't know sheep and goat ranchers too well do you.....

My post was meant to be humorous relating back to a thread about caracaras earlier in the week.
Don't know sheep/goat ranchers, but I know they shoot/trap/poison the hell out of everything that looks at their flock sideways.

I'd be curious to know the effectiveness of using Great Pyrenees or other companion animals for protection vs. trapping/shooting. (I'm assuming you may be a sheep/goat rancher)

Not a sheep and goat rancher but have friends that are. Caracaras were one of the subjects discussed at the morning Kafe Klatch this AM. Sounds like one is now able to get a permit to eliminate such threats.
jpb1999
AG
What is it attacking here?

Spane Bohem

CanyonAg77
AG
jpb1999 said:

His manhood, apparently.
Rattler12
jpb1999 said:

An ounce of prevention is worth 12 lbs of lamb?
GSS
Rattler12 said:

Apache said:

Quote:

Quote:

Apache said:
As the federally protected Caracara expand throughout the state, you sheep loving Bo Peeps will need to sell your flocks. Mexican Eagles are ravenous winged demons & eat everything under 100 pounds. Coyotes will be the least of your problems.

My post was meant to be humorous relating back to a thread about caracaras earlier in the week.
Don't know sheep/goat ranchers, but I know they shoot/trap/poison the hell out of everything that looks at their flock sideways.

Not a sheep and goat rancher but have friends that are. Caracaras were one of the subjects discussed at the morning Kafe Klatch this AM. Sounds like one is now able to get a permit to eliminate such threats.
On a lease near Menard, a cattle raiser, with one pasture of goats, thoroughly chastised my Dad, for passing on a fox...which was the ONLY reported predator to be seen in years, on that place (4000 acres). Quite sure bald eagles were not safe, if passing over his property.
And the over-abundance of jackrabbits, eating his precious grazing grasses? umm, change the subject...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
MouthBQ98
AG
Dogs will generally keep the four legged threats away. Maybe not as effective against birds.
tandy miller
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

LOL. Walked right up to one, eh?

Man, its like story night with grandpa. :/

Not that hard if they're in a snare
highvelocity
AG
how? with a high powered rifle to body cavity
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

And the over-abundance of jackrabbits, eating his precious grazing grasses? umm, change the subject...
Mice and rabbits do the damage on my property. Apex predators are always welcome on my place.
tandy miller
AG
highvelocity said:

how? with a high powered rifle to body cavity

Did he live?
Rattler12
GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

Apache said:

Quote:

Quote:

Apache said:

On a lease near Menard, a cattle raiser, with one pasture of goats, thoroughly chastised my Dad, for passing on a fox...which was the ONLY reported predator to be seen in years, on that place (4000 acres). Quite sure bald eagles were not safe, if passing over his property.
Lambs and kid goats are much easier prey than jackrabbits. Which one would the fox or coyotes go after first? What would you do if you were the rancher and had hard money on the line instead of the leasee of the property? What's the difference in him killing a coyote or a fox and you killing a deer....or a fox? Both are nature's creations. Why the love of life for the yote/fox and the indifference towards the deer? Double standard?

BTW If a cow gets down and is unable to get up what do you think happens if not found quickly? From personal experience, coyotes will eat the rear end out of the cow....not a pleasant sight. The cow had to be put down. Coyotes are not the cute little furry animals some think they are
highvelocity
AG
he walked it off
GSS
Do you routinely misconstrue other's comments, or is this an exception?

We run cattle, have zero "love" for coyotes, but nor is a complete elimination of predators ever on our radar. The referenced Menard ranch had undergone the "gov't trapper" route...eradication of ALL predators.
Yet the rancher was oblivious to the unintended consequences of a rabbit and coon population explosion.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
KoolHandLuke
Parvo kills a lot of dogs, but it can't come close to the numbers of that old .243!
Rattler12
GSS said:

We run cattle, have zero "love" for coyotes, but nor is a complete elimination of predators ever on our radar. The referenced Menard ranch had undergone the "gov't trapper" route...eradication of ALL predators.
Yet the rancher was oblivious to the unintended consequences of a rabbit and coon population explosion.
I must have hit a nerve ....wasn't the intention. But the question still remains. Which would coyotes/ foxes go after first? Lambs and kids or jackrabbits? Are you saying predation on cattle is the same as sheep and goats?
Apache
AG
I completely get the need of the sheep/goat farmer to protect their livestock. Would running Great Pyrenees or something similar be as good as lethal control & have the extra benefit of not disrupting the greater ecosystem?
GSS
Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

I must have hit a nerve ....wasn't the intention. But the question still remains. Which would coyotes/ foxes go after first? Lambs and kids or jackrabbits? Are you saying predation on cattle is the same as sheep and goats?
This....."Why the love of life for the yote/fox and the indifference towards the deer? Double standard?"

...tells me the only right answer or perspective, will be the one you espouse.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
SWCBonfire
AG
Wasn't there a generally accepted study recently that killing coyotes ultimately increased their population by encouraging a population explosion of rats and rabbits?

If you're in the sheep business, that's one deal, but with cattle they aren't usually an issue. I would wager most solitary coyotes around a cow+newborn calf are just trying to get the afterbirth.

Multiple coyotes get ventilated, however.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

"Why the love of life for the yote/fox and the indifference towards the deer? Double standard?"
Human life is precious.

All other life is to be respected, especially for its place in the ecosystem.

This is why taking prey animal (deer) is not a big deal, in moderation, but taking a predator is. Prey animals breed like bunnies.

If human life or health is in danger, humans are always the priority.

If human's livelihood is endangered, intelligently controlling the animal pest is the priority. This is why I think it's a bad idea to simply take out predators.

Obviously, many disagree.
maroon barchetta
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

"Why the love of life for the yote/fox and the indifference towards the deer? Double standard?"
Human life is precious.

All other life is to be respected, especially for its place in the ecosystem.

This is why taking prey animal (deer) is not a big deal, in moderation, but taking a predator is. Prey animals breed like bunnies.

If human life or health is in danger, humans are always the priority.

If human's livelihood is endangered, intelligently controlling the animal pest is the priority. This is why I think it's a bad idea to simply take out predators.

Obviously, many disagree.

Well yeah.

If they follow your logic they can't post photos of all the massive incredibly hazardous animals they killed.
Rattler12
GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

This....."Why the love of life for the yote/fox and the indifference towards the deer? Double standard?"

Why evade the question? Which will they go after first?
KoolHandLuke
When they start to hunt in packs is when it gets especially dangerous for newborn calves. One day, I pulled up and there were five coyotes that just about had a cow worn down. She would run one or two off and the others would sneak in and gnaw on that calf. Luckily I just happened by and put a stop to that. The calf didn't have a tail and part of an ear but made it. He was kind of difficult to flank without that tail though!
Doc Hayworth
Just curious, because I've worked cattle for over 50+years.
What does the tail of a calf have to do with flanking it? I never touched the tail doing this.
GSS
Doc Hayworth said:

What does the tail of a calf have to do with flanking it? I never touched the tail doing this.
Your buddy grabs the tail, allowing you to flank the calf...
Cuz most of us can't rope worth a damn
NRA Life
TSRA Life
rab79
AG
You can sure tell who has ranched sheep or goats and who hasn't from this topic.

just wait until we get back around to town dogs...
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
rab79
AG
GSS said:

Doc Hayworth said:

Your buddy grabs the tail, allowing you to flank the calf...
Cuz most of us can't rope worth a damn
guess we must be the exception Doc.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
chuckr70
AG
The tail is what pulls you up for the next calf. Work a 100 calves and then tell me you don't need the tail!
Burdizzo
AG
philevans said:

coyotes are survivors and useful to nature, will exist just like cockroaches till they are alone.

We are seeing them around Alamo Heights more and more. I have mixed feelings. I grew up assuming every one of them should be shot. On the other hand, they are keeping the feral cats in check in my neighborhood.
GSS
Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

If I must...with context. This ranch was 4000 acres, one pasture (not even a section) was being used for goats (and that effort was abandoned), the rest cattle, 100% predator eradication. So the one fox spotted had plenty of rabbits, coons, rats, mice, to dine on, no competition, but I suppose that the fox could have only chosen to eat kid goats, and simply gone hungry, when a baby goat was not available.

Or been the opportunists that most predators are, and chowed down on the closest meal.

But you're probably right, that fox definitely would have only dined on kid goats. Death to all foxes, coyotes, bobcats, badgers, hawks, bald eagles, etc...

And if you're having success on downed cows getting up, recovering...consider yourself very lucky.

NRA Life
TSRA Life
Apache
AG
Quote:

You can sure tell who has ranched sheep or goats and who hasn't from this topic.

Since you have, can you answer my question about the dogs guarding the sheep?
They were bred to defend against wolves & bears, you'd think they could handle coyotes.

Also, do gray foxes really go after newborn sheep/goats? Doesn't seem like something they would do, but idk.
txags92
AG
A fox is going to go for a rat or mouse, first choice, every time. If there is a kid on the ground and not getting up, with an inattentive mom, the fox might try to sneak in on it. But a healthy kid is way down the list for a fox compared to the mice and rats coming to the corn/protein at the deer feeder.
P.U.T.U
AG
The owner of the cattle we let roam our property got rid of his donkeys since they were starting to bully all of the animals. Shortly after the coyotes started coming after the youngest calves during the day. I shot a few and for the most part they stay away except at night.
BrazosDog02
AG
highvelocity said:

he walked it off
F--in' 6.5mm Creedmoor.
Rattler12
GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

If I must...with context. This ranch was 4000 acres, one pasture (not even a section) was being used for goats (and that effort was abandoned), the rest cattle, 100% predator eradication. So the one fox spotted had plenty of rabbits, coons, rats, mice, to dine on, no competition, but I suppose that the fox could have only chosen to eat kid goats, and simply gone hungry, when a baby goat was not available.

Or been the opportunists that most predators are, and chowed down on the closest meal.

But you're probably right, that fox definitely would have only dined on kid goats. Death to all foxes, coyotes, bobcats, badgers, hawks, bald eagles, etc...

And if you're having success on downed cows getting up, recovering...consider yourself very lucky.

You're worse than the governor in the BLWHinT movie at dancin a little sidestep. You answer a question without answering the question and think you answered the question

rab79
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Since you have, can you answer my question about the dogs guarding the sheep?
They were bred to defend against wolves & bears, you'd think they could handle coyotes.

Also, do gray foxes really go after newborn sheep/goats? Doesn't seem like something they would do, but idk.

Until the last 5 or so years our area of the plateau has been coyote free thanks to intensive predator control, our biggest predator problem in the past has been golden eagles that the feds mandate we support. We haven't tried dogs yet, given the price of guard dogs and the small flock size we have the sheep will probably go away and we will just have a cow-calf herd. I have seen a pair of guard dogs stalking a town dog that got itsself in the wrong pasture so I would expect a well trained guard dog should be pretty effective. Donkeys may be good around cows but I have heard some not so good stories about them and goats.

We have coons that will take a fawn, bobcats and foxes will definitely kill a newborn lamb or kid, so will buzzards and crows given the opportunity. No cara cara in our area yet, but black buzzards have shown up in the last 10 years.
NO AMNESTY!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.