Outdoors
Sponsored by

Coyotes getting water...

9,921 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

Do you routinely misconstrue other's comments, or is this an exception?

We run cattle, have zero "love" for coyotes, but nor is a complete elimination of predators ever on our radar. The referenced Menard ranch had undergone the "gov't trapper" route...eradication of ALL predators.
Yet the rancher was oblivious to the unintended consequences of a rabbit and coon population explosion.
I must have hit a nerve ....wasn't the intention. But the question still remains. Which would coyotes/ foxes go after first? Lambs and kids or jackrabbits? Are you saying predation on cattle is the same as sheep and goats?
This....."Why the love of life for the yote/fox and the indifference towards the deer? Double standard?"

...tells me the only right answer or perspective, will be the one you espouse.
Why evade the question? Which will they go after first?
If I must...with context. This ranch was 4000 acres, one pasture (not even a section) was being used for goats (and that effort was abandoned), the rest cattle, 100% predator eradication. So the one fox spotted had plenty of rabbits, coons, rats, mice, to dine on, no competition, but I suppose that the fox could have only chosen to eat kid goats, and simply gone hungry, when a baby goat was not available.

Or been the opportunists that most predators are, and chowed down on the closest meal.

But you're probably right, that fox definitely would have only dined on kid goats. Death to all foxes, coyotes, bobcats, badgers, hawks, bald eagles, etc...

And if you're having success on downed cows getting up, recovering...consider yourself very lucky.

You're worse than the governor in the BLWHinT movie at dancin a little sidestep. You answer a question without answering the question and think you answered the question

Give us the only right answer, so all on the OB will be educated....
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Rattler12
GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

Rattler12 said:

GSS said:

Do you routinely misconstrue other's comments, or is this an exception?

We run cattle, have zero "love" for coyotes, but nor is a complete elimination of predators ever on our radar. The referenced Menard ranch had undergone the "gov't trapper" route...eradication of ALL predators.
Yet the rancher was oblivious to the unintended consequences of a rabbit and coon population explosion.
I must have hit a nerve ....wasn't the intention. But the question still remains. Which would coyotes/ foxes go after first? Lambs and kids or jackrabbits? Are you saying predation on cattle is the same as sheep and goats?
This....."Why the love of life for the yote/fox and the indifference towards the deer? Double standard?"

...tells me the only right answer or perspective, will be the one you espouse.
Why evade the question? Which will they go after first?
If I must...with context. This ranch was 4000 acres, one pasture (not even a section) was being used for goats (and that effort was abandoned), the rest cattle, 100% predator eradication. So the one fox spotted had plenty of rabbits, coons, rats, mice, to dine on, no competition, but I suppose that the fox could have only chosen to eat kid goats, and simply gone hungry, when a baby goat was not available.

Or been the opportunists that most predators are, and chowed down on the closest meal.

But you're probably right, that fox definitely would have only dined on kid goats. Death to all foxes, coyotes, bobcats, badgers, hawks, bald eagles, etc...

And if you're having success on downed cows getting up, recovering...consider yourself very lucky.

You're worse than the governor in the BLWHinT movie at dancin a little sidestep. You answer a question without answering the question and think you answered the question

Give us the only right answer, so all on the OB will be educated....
Thanks for proving me right. I'll even generalize the question a bit more.....What kind of prey will predators go after first...... those which take the most effort to catch and kill or those that take the least effort? On a scale of 1-10 , 1 being the least amount, how would you rate a predator's expenditure of effort and energy in catching a jackrabbit as opposed to a goat kid or a lamb. My answer would be 1 for the kid or lamb and 10 for the jackrabbit.
Apache
AG
Quote:

We haven't tried dogs yet, given the price of guard dogs and the small flock size we have the sheep will probably go away and we will just have a cow-calf herd.

I know jack squat about sheep (rare for an Aggie, I know ) but if all these things can kill them:
Gray Fox
Coon
Coyote
Bobcat
Golden Eagle
Crows
Ravens??
Caracara
Black Vulture
Wild Hog (Not previously mentioned but they eat everything else)
Black Panthers
To add:
Black Bear
Brown Bear
Red Fox
Feral Dogs
Badgers
Bald Eagles
Wolves
Wolverines
Alligators
Ill-tempered rabbits

...I'm getting the heck out of the sheep/goat business & finding another type of livestock that doesn't require me to kill half of creation so that it can live. It's like they are roaming looking for an excuse to die.

Do sheep/goats bring pretty good money most years?
Or are the sheep/goat farmers like most cattle ranchers & do it out of tradition or for love? (No, not that kind of love)
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

It's like they are roaming looking for an excuse to die.
My maternal grandfather:

"Sheep are born looking for a place to die."
KatyAg88
rab79, you being sarcastic? Pretty sure most of those bloodied animals are lambs.
rab79
AG
Bears and wolves are hard on sheep up north, and you ever see a badger in the wild? And you need to add spot to your list. They are mostly safe from fluffy, although we did find a dachshund that had a half grown lamb down one time.

I believe you when you say you don't know anything about sheep because everyone that does knows the best description of them is, and I quote, "an animal born looking for a place to die".
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
rab79
AG
KatyAg88 said:

rab79, you being sarcastic? Pretty sure most of those bloodied animals are lambs.
That is the point, the coyote dead in the background got caught after killing them, did you not notice the partially eaten carcasses?
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
Rattler12
rab79 said:

Bears and wolves are hard on sheep up north, and you ever see a badger in the wild? And you need to add spot to your list. They are mostly safe from fluffy, although we did find a dachshund that had a half grown lamb down one time.

I believe you when you say you don't know anything about sheep because everyone that does knows the best description of them is, and I quote, "an animal born looking for a place to die".
Here around the Spring Branch area of Comal CO and with the influx of city folk, one of the bigger problems for the goat ranchers are people letting their dogs run loose. They will pack up and do some serious damage to a herd of goats. They usually get shot on site no questions asked. A friend was the foreman of a ranch here and they ran goats on the place. A couple of dogs got into the herd and killed 32 of them. He shoots both of them. He puts a Lost and Found note on the bulletin board at the Spring Branch Store saying "Found 2 dogs call xxx-xxxx to get them back. A couple of days later a man calls and described and asked about the dogs. Buddy said Yep I think that's them. Guy says can we come pick them up? Buddy says yessir and gives them directions to the ranch. They show up and ask where the dogs are. He takes them into the barn, opens the freezer and says "Is that them" The guy says yes. Buddy says they killed 32 of my goats . you owe me $3200. The man and his wife collected the 2 dogs and sent him $3200.
oklaunion
Do sheep/goats bring pretty good money most years?

Or are the sheep/goat farmers like most cattle ranchers & do it out of tradition or for love? (No, not that kind of love)

Sheep numbers have declined around 2% each of the past 2 years (nationally and TX). Prices began to increase significantly around 5 years ago although there is an ebb and flow within each year. For some reason, much of the country had a decline in prices given after the covid lockdown began. Texas had an increase in prices realized.
With the increase in Middle Eastern folk as well as Hispanic consumers, demand has stayed high. A market lamb is now a 60-90 lb animal, reaching that in 2-4 months. That means less input and risk to the rancher/farmer. Despite this, the arena market lamb (4H, FFA, etc) continues to be a medium wool animal with no tail that weighs more than 130-140 lbs. Hair sheep make up the vast majority of commercial sheep in Texas now.
Addressing your second question, many choose sheep because they are easier to handle, fit smaller acreage better than cattle and have a shorter gestation period. It is possible to get 3 lambings in 2 years. I think the stocking rate (AU) is 6 sheep to 1 cow unit.
txags92
AG
Rattler12 said:

rab79 said:

Here around the Spring Branch area of Comal CO and with the influx of city folk, one of the bigger problems for the goat ranchers are people letting their dogs run loose. They will pack up and do some serious damage to a herd of goats. They usually get shot on site no questions asked. A friend was the foreman of a ranch here and they ran goats on the place. A couple of dogs got into the herd and killed 32 of them. He shoots both of them. He puts a Lost and Found note on the bulletin board at the Spring Branch Store saying "Found 2 dogs call xxx-xxxx to get them back. A couple of days later a man calls and described and asked about the dogs. Buddy said Yep I think that's them. Guy says can we come pick them up? Buddy says yessir and gives them directions to the ranch. They show up and ask where the dogs are. He takes them into the barn, opens the freezer and says "Is that them" The guy says yes. Buddy says they killed 32 of my goats . you owe me $3200. The man and his wife collected the 2 dogs and sent him $3200.
We have had dogs kill our goats on at least 2 occasions and 2 of them have died for it. Never had a coyote take one in over 30 years.
Rattler12
txags92 said:

Rattler12 said:

rab79 said:

We have had dogs kill our goats on at least 2 occasions and 2 of them have died for it. Never had a coyote take one in over 30 years.
But how's the jackrabbit population.....
Burdizzo
AG
rab79 said:

There is a reason God's children are referred to as sheep in the Bible, and it isn't because they are known for looking out for themselves.
txags92
AG
Rattler12 said:

txags92 said:

Rattler12 said:

rab79 said:

But how's the jackrabbit population.....
Have never seen one on the property. Too rocky for them to dig holes maybe? Honestly, we see more foxes than coyotes and the foxes are more likely to come into the corral to get rats and mice trying to get into the feed shed than they are to come after the goats. While I know real predation of live calves/lambs/kids happens, I suspect there is a lot more predation of stillborn or malformed than there are coyotes/bobcats/whatever taking healthy young ones. My in-laws still shoot just about anything that burrows a hole in the ground because "the goats will step into a burrow and break a leg". These are the same goats that I routinely see climbing trees and jumping into and out of the feed trough. There is a lot that is done in ranching that is done because that is the way my (insert relative here) has always done it and it worked for him. That type of mentality is pretty commonly immune to being influenced by science. Like people that shoot possums and then treat their yard for fleas/ticks. You can show studies that hunting predators makes the predators breed more prolifically and that predators are an overall positive influence on the habitat, but they would rather shoot them all and then complain about the rabbits eating all the grass and the rats infesting the barn and the feed shed.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

There is a lot that is done in ranching that is done because that is the way my (insert relative here) has always done it and it worked for him
Amen. Preach, brother
KoolHandLuke
Doc Hayworth said:

Just curious, because I've worked cattle for over 50+years.
What does the tail of a calf have to do with flanking it? I never touched the tail doing this.

Roping and dragging calves to the fire….the proper way, with one man on the rope and another on the tail. Not Tuff Cooper at the Houston Rodeo flanking calves.
maroon barchetta
My brother and SIL live in Wimberley. They've had goats for 15 years or more.

The only goats they have had killed by predators have been killed by dogs.
Bucketrunner
We must be siblings
rab79
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Lethal control methods utilized historically by livestock producers initially included shooting, trapping, snaring, the use of dogs to trail and kill predators, and strychnine to treat livestock carcasses. Clearing of the Edwards Plateau of canid predators, which occurred by the late 1930s, in-volved these methods in addition to extensive use of netwire fencing as described by Jones (1938) and development of the professional control program (Caroline 1973, l978a). In addition to the use of strychnine single-dose baits in the ADC program, early in the 1940s the Humane Coyote Getter sodium cyanide device was introduced experimentally and soon became a highly effective method particularly during fall and winter months. This was followed by experimental use of Compound 1080-treated large baits in 1949. Success in this project was followed by operational use of 1080 baits from 1950 to 1972, when cancellation of the use of toxicants in the federal program by order of President Nixon (Nixon 1972) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) occurred (Ruckelshaus 1972). Following cancellation of the predacides in 1972, by order of USDI Assistant Secretary Reed, the USFWS temporarily implemented an "accelerated" program with additional federal funds in an attempt to demonstrate that mechanical control methods were adequate to control coyote predation. Despite the additional funds the "accelerated" program was only partially successful and was discontinued after 1978. However, with the loss of chemicals and the need for additional methods, aerial hunting became more important in the ADC program.

How the predacides were lost

Quote:

Limitations at the federal level began with issuance of the "Leopold Report" (Leopold et al.) in 1964 and the "Cain Report" (Cain et al.) in 1971, which ostensibly was the genesis of the Executive Order by President Nixon (1972} and the EPA (Ruckelshaus 1972) order which cancelled the predacides. In fact, the decision to cancel had been made much earlier by collusion in the USOI and the President's Council on Environmental Quality in a procedure deliberately planned to circumvent legal and due process (Wade 1975, Wade and Beasom 1979, Macintyre 1982, Howard 1979, 1984) and came about by secret agreement of counsel for the USDI and certain environmental groups in 1971 (U.S. Dis~rict Court of Columbia 1971). However, the approach was effective in subverting legal and due process to secure cancellation of the predacides.
https://escholarship.org/uc/item/900062vz

Had Beasom as an undergrad academic advisor

And this is how the predator wars were lost and why there will never be effective control of feral hogs.
NO AMNESTY!

SMM48
AG
good for them....

I'd still split those wigs even though your cousin has had great fortune
maroon barchetta
SMM48 said:

good for them....

I'd still split those wigs even though your cousin has had great fortune

What does my cousin have to do with what I posted?
AnScAggie
AG
Just to add perspective, or fuel to the fire, your choice. How many nights do you walk outside in Wimberly or Spring Branch and hear coyotes howling in multiple packs across several miles? How many times do you drive around your neighborhood or property and see a coyote or bobcat? Dogs are the apex predator in those locations, because many generations ago our forefathers exterminated the wolves and cougars, and put a pretty good hurt on bobcats and coyotes.

Get out to a ranch in STX or WTX and you'll have predators galore. In the last 20 months I've taken over 130 bobcats and nearly 100 coyotes. And just today at 9:30 this morning I saw a bobcat, yesterday afternoon I shot a coyote. Will I ever get rid of them all, nope, but before I started my predator control I didn't have a single fallow or blackbuck baby survive plus who knows how many whitetail fawns got killed as well. Since I've started controlling them with a vengeance, I have growing populations of young fallow, axis and blackbuck, javelina (which I like), and quail. Whitetails we're always reproducing, so the extent of loss is harder to quantify.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I have growing populations of young fallow, axis and blackbuck, javelina (which I like), and quail.
The killing of coyotes & bobcats may have a negative impact long term on quail numbers as they control the populations of javelina, raccoons, mice, rats, possums, squirrels etc. which all get into nests & eat eggs or chicks. Short term you may see a boom.

It's surprising to me those deer species are that poor raising young around coyotes when in their native habitat they are dealing with tigers, leopards, wolves etc.

Apache
AG
Quote:

How many nights do you walk outside in Wimberly or Spring Branch and hear coyotes howling in multiple packs across several miles?
Almost every night in far South Austin. Dogs are the apex predators, but there aren't stray dogs roaming around towns like there used to be. Coyotes are back to being "top dog". I've seen coyotes & foxes all over town they have little fear of people. Bobcats are around but much more secretive.
maroon barchetta
Apache said:

Quote:

How many nights do you walk outside in Wimberly or Spring Branch and hear coyotes howling in multiple packs across several miles?
Almost every night in far South Austin. Dogs are the apex predators, but there aren't stray dogs roaming around towns like there used to be. Coyotes are back to being "top dog". I've seen coyotes & foxes all over town they have little fear of people. Bobcats are around but much more secretive.

How do they get along with the homeless?
Apache
AG
I'm a few miles south from the nearest area with homeless so no direct knowledge.
But I imagine they get along just fine. The 'yotes probably enjoy raiding their camps for hot pockets and meth
SMM48
AG
sorry. your brother.
txags92
AG
AnScAggie said:

Just to add perspective, or fuel to the fire, your choice. How many nights do you walk outside in Wimberly or Spring Branch and hear coyotes howling in multiple packs across several miles? How many times do you drive around your neighborhood or property and see a coyote or bobcat? Dogs are the apex predator in those locations, because many generations ago our forefathers exterminated the wolves and cougars, and put a pretty good hurt on bobcats and coyotes.

Get out to a ranch in STX or WTX and you'll have predators galore. In the last 20 months I've taken over 130 bobcats and nearly 100 coyotes. And just today at 9:30 this morning I saw a bobcat, yesterday afternoon I shot a coyote. Will I ever get rid of them all, nope, but before I started my predator control I didn't have a single fallow or blackbuck baby survive plus who knows how many whitetail fawns got killed as well. Since I've started controlling them with a vengeance, I have growing populations of young fallow, axis and blackbuck, javelina (which I like), and quail. Whitetails we're always reproducing, so the extent of loss is harder to quantify.
I am not criticizing you for your choices, but I find it interesting that you are killing native predators and unbalancing the rest of the habitat/ecosystem so that you can protect exotics that were otherwise outcompeted by native whitetails. That is kind of the opposite of what usually happens, where the exotics don't have as many predators and outcompete the native species.
AnScAggie
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

I have growing populations of young fallow, axis and blackbuck, javelina (which I like), and quail.
The killing of coyotes & bobcats may have a negative impact long term on quail numbers as they control the populations of javelina, raccoons, mice, rats, possums, squirrels etc. which all get into nests & eat eggs or chicks. Short term you may see a boom.

It's surprising to me those deer species are that poor raising young around coyotes when in their native habitat they are dealing with tigers, leopards, wolves etc.

Not surprising in the least. Do think the blackbuck or axis on today's Texas ranches came from Asia? Also, I'd say the bobcats do a bigger number on them than the coyotes. And lastly, south austin coyotes don't have the same prey species as rural coyotes. Trapping does wonders for those nest predators you mentioned.
txags92
AG
AnScAggie said:

Apache said:

Quote:

Not surprising in the least. Do think the blackbuck or axis on today's Texas ranches came from Asia? Also, I'd say the bobcats do a bigger number on them than the coyotes. And lastly, south austin coyotes don't have the same prey species as rural coyotes. Trapping does wonders for those nest predators you mentioned.
So do coyotes and bobcats...just sayin.
jwoodmd
txags92 said:

AnScAggie said:

I am not criticizing you for your choices, but I find it interesting that you are killing native predators and unbalancing the rest of the habitat/ecosystem so that you can protect exotics that were otherwise outcompeted by native whitetails. That is kind of the opposite of what usually happens, where the exotics don't have as many predators and outcompete the native species.
So, deer feeders with corn and cottonseed are part of the natural habitat and ecosystem?
Rattler12
jwoodmd said:

txags92 said:

AnScAggie said:

So, deer feeders with corn and cottonseed are part of the natural habitat and ecosystem?
Uh oh.....apple cart upset in the making
txags92
AG
jwoodmd said:

txags92 said:

AnScAggie said:

No. That is why I am not in favor of using them to increase the carrying capacity of the land. I prefer to see the habitat enhanced through good stewardship and for feeders to be used to focus deer attention where you want to see them predictably. But predators can figure out where feeders are too.
Serious Lee
jpb1999 said:

What is it attacking here?
the trap thats ahold of his foot.
Brad Jerry Mitch
agrams said:

but we only do #2 and #3 after getting approval from Brad, mitch, and Terry.
I gave you a blue star because that's funny but that's not my name
Apache
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Do think the blackbuck or axis on today's Texas ranches came from Asia?

Of course they don't come from Asia directly, they were born here.
However the species did evolve in Asia & for thousands of years lived alongside far more fearsome predators than coyotes.... such as Tigers, Bears, Leopards, Wolves, Cheetah, Jackals, etc. So it is surprising to me that they have such poor success raising young. You'd think some instinct would still be present, but I suppose they are just livestock & not that different from sheep at this point.

As for the coyotes around my place, I back up to a rural area so I suppose they eat rabbits, rats/mice, stray cats, mustang grapes, pear tuna just like every other coyote within 100 miles does. I may be close to Austin but the coyotes around me aren't eating sushi & artisanal bacon just yet. But I'm sure they'd like it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.